Cimini: Chris Ivory, Jets agree to a 3-year, $6 million deal

gsnts725

The initially reported 3 years $10mil deal was actually pretty high considering he was already under contract for this year for $2mil. It was essentially a 2 yr, $8mil extension for a player that has never played a full season. Even then, I mentioned it was slightly higher for my liking. This 3 years, $6 mil is actually a very team friendly figure. The $4 mil escalator is absolutely fine with me. It guarantees production in order to reach it.

Yea, it's a pretty friendly deal.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.  I don't know it it's true or not, but I would imagine if he does hit said incentives that ten million will still end up being a bargain for him.  I liked the  move at $10 million, so I'm even more thrilled at $6.  This draft reminds me so much of seattles draft last year it's eery: first round pick defensive front 7 explosive athlete, QB rated high on their board in the 3rd round, traded for a RB (lynch) in round 5, 5 of the next 8 draft picks came on the defensive front 7 or the oline and then tossed in two CBs and a RB with the rest.  The formula just seems identical: build up both lines, get RBs on the roster you believe in, get long athletic corners and find a QB you want to groom.  Not saying it'll turn out like Seattle, one can only hope, but the philosophy is pretty spot on.

I think Lynch was the year before but either way I agree.  There are worse philosphy's to obide by these days. I'm all for building a team the way Seattle has the past few years. Even though I think Pete Carroll is a turd ( my own Sh*t)  and that they will never make the Bowl with him. The team is still well built.

People act like the Saints were some rushing powerhouse and he sat behind Barry Sanders or something. The team was near the bottom in the NFL in rushing.

True the Saints are a passing team, but if you cant' even play on a team who isn't exactly 'stacked' with great running backs, it's more than just injury issues.

I mean the leading rusher, Ingram, had 600 yards and something like 3.9 YPC. You would think a team who thought a guy who had 5.1 YPC would get more than 40 carries. That's saying a lot. I just think it's funny people are so enthralled with the guys highlights and use the excuse he wasn't used properly in New Orleans. The Saints rushing attack sucked. Their running backs sucked. Ivory couldn't even be a backup on that team whose leading rusher averaged 3.9 YPC.

some teams/coaches, even respected ones refuse to do the things we think they should do, especially passing oriented offenses ala the saints who probably believe and rightfully so brees throwing the ball is their best chance to win. a great example of having a beast in the backfield and refusing to use him is of course shady mccoy and andy reid.

I think Lynch was the year before but either way I agree.  There are worse philosphy's to obide by these days. I'm all for building a team the way Seattle has the past few years. Even though I think Pete Carroll is a turd ( my own Sh*t)  and that they will never make the Bowl with him. The team is still well built.

I believe you're right, I was just remembering the draft and it was the 2012 picks they forfeited, but probably prior to the season not on draft day.  I didn't look it up, but now that you mention it makes sense it was at the end of his rookie contract/4th year and I'm pretty sure I remember him play for both the bills and seahags in the same year.  

Edit: Looked it up. You're correct, he was traded prior to the 2012 draft and play in the last couple games of the 2011 season in seattle. Totally forgot about that.  The similarities still remain and while Ivory has not proven to be on the same level as lynch, their running styles are very comparable.  Wouldn't mind the Jets having that type of season this year.

**** that. I'm going to want to hear his take on this season at some point. Why not just save him the embarrassment and ban him for life?

If thats the case I could change your name to sayyestotomshane and well you know... you could take one for the team and all. 

If thats the case I could change your name to sayyestotomshane and well you know... you could take one for the team and all.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Change my name and throw me in you and JiF's closet but I want a safe word. Without somebody more negative than me I won't last another day here.

I believe you're right, I was just remembering the draft and it was the 2012 picks they forfeited, but probably prior to the season not on draft day.  I didn't look it up, but now that you mention it makes sense it was at the end of his rookie contract/4th year and I'm pretty sure I remember him play for both the bills and seahags in the same year.  

Edit: Looked it up. You're correct, he was traded prior to the 2012 draft and play in the last couple games of the 2011 season in seattle. Totally forgot about that.  The similarities still remain and while Ivory has not proven to be on the same level as lynch, their running styles are very comparable.  Wouldn't mind the Jets having that type of season this year.

Yeah remember that sick run Lynch had in the playoffs against the highly favored Saints? He ran over like 6-7 guys on a 50 somthing yd run for a TD which sealed thw voctory for Seatle.  If Ivory does anything like that for us, I will be happy.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Change my name and throw me in you and JiF's closet but I want a safe word. Without somebody more negative than me I won't last another day here.

Damn!! Even mediocre BMX bikers must make bank if you live in a house with closets big enough to fit Crushers fat ass.  Wow.  Let's just keep your name the same and just put Sir in front of it because this tub-o-lard is impressed.  

Damn!! Even mediocre BMX bikers must make bank if you live in a house with closets big enough to fit Crushers fat ass. Wow. Let's just keep your name the same and just put Sir in front of it because this tub-o-lard is impressed.

I'm the best BMX rider big man. That nut was a distraction and my sh*t is a walk in.

Yeah remember that sick run Lynch had in the playoffs against the highly favored Saints? He ran over like 6-7 guys on a 50 somthing yd run for a TD which sealed thw voctory for Seatle.  If Ivory does anything like that for us, I will be happy.

Lynch was a great running back in college, even getting some Heisman hype,  he was a pro bowl RB in the NFL and then he had some off the field issues, got suspended,  had some injury issues, and for whatever reason the Bills new staff really sent him to the doghouse and barely played him. They had Fred Jackson.   Who knows what was going on behind the scenes in Buffalo,  all we know is they sent him packing and he's done well with the Seahawks.

Ivory has done none of those things in college or the pros.  Lynch was just living up to what he was supposed to be.  At this point Ivory is what, an injury prone guy that had a couple of good games his entire college/pro career.   I hope he winds up like Lynch, but I'm not really going to be surprised if he can't even get 100 carries.

HIs biggest weakness is his inabiluty to stay healthy.  When he plays he is pretty damn impressive.  And not just talking a 2 minute highlight reel.  The guy has a violent running style but still has some speed and quickness.  I am pumped to see this guy in  a Jet uniform and there is no way I would prefer UCLAs Franklin over this guy, not in a million years. 

Lynch was a great running back in college, even getting some Heisman hype,  he was a pro bowl RB in the NFL and then he had some off the field issues, got suspended,  had some injury issues, and for whatever reason the Bills new staff really sent him to the doghouse and barely played him. They had Fred Jackson.   Who knows what was going on behind the scenes in Buffalo,  all we know is they sent him packing and he's done well with the Seahawks.

Ivory has done none of those things in college or the pros.  Lynch was just living up to what he was supposed to be.  At this point Ivory is what, an injury prone guy that had a couple of good games his entire college/pro career.   I hope he winds up like Lynch, but I'm not really going to be surprised if he can't even get 100 carries.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but you've just surpassed T0mshane's level of negativity on this board.  That is pretty impressive.  The guy went to a small school, was an UDFA, and you still find it hard to believe that the Saints' first round pick was starting over him?  We get it, you hate him, please move on to something else to go and complain about.

College performance is kind of irrelevant.  There have been countless college greats who were high draft picks and turned out awful and many others who didn't have particularly impressive college careers who went undrafted and ended up having phenomenal NFL careers.  As far NFL performances, Lynch was decent his first two years in Buffalo (only making the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement) and pretty awful in both his last full season in Buffalo and his Buffalo/Seattle crossover season.  He also hadn't played a complete season his entire time in the NFL when he moved on to Seattle.

I can get feeling that any comparisons between he and Ivory as lacking merit, particularly given the health concerns with Ivory, but nobody thought Lynch was particularly good when he was traded or that he would turn out the way he has these past two years.  I'm not sure why you would try to put Lynch up on a pedestal regarding his time in Buffalo other than your distaste for Ivory.  The truth is that any comparisons don't really matter, all that really matters is how Ivory performs with the Jets.  If he can stay healthy, there's some evidence from his limited NFL career to suggest he could thrive when given the opportunity.

I think the compasrison o their styles is relevant though. Ivory has much to prove, but the fact that he's earned a shot can not be denied.  He's show the ability to get yards.  More than anyone else on our roster to start wtih.

I think the compasrison o their styles is relevant though. Ivory has much to prove, but the fact that he's earned a shot can not be denied.  He's show the ability to get yards.  More than anyone else on our roster to start wtih.

I agree he will have a chance to get the carries and gain the yards with the Jets.  I hope he does it, but based on what he's done, I'm not looking at some guy who definitely will get 200 carries and 1200 yards.    Lynch on the other hand,   his last couple of seasons in Buffalo sucked because the guy was suspended for off the field issues like running over a person, he's had issues with the law before that situation, etc and the new coaching staff kind of soured after that.   Kind of happens when players have a bad attitude and get suspended for violating NFL conduct policies.

So while Lynch had some injury issues, his major issue was serious attitude and legal problems.     The fact he was traded away and seemed to have a better attitude was why he put up numbers, not because he was ever a backup or injury prone.   Ivory just didn't play because nobody thinks enough of him to start.   All the excuses are just excuses.

Based on ???  Nice return guy but what else has he shown?  BTW, this guy was a major let down among Trojan fans -- much to my delight.  He's all-shake, no-bake as a RB.  That's why Ivory and Goodson are here.

it was a lame joke lol

I agree he will have a chance to get the carries and gain the yards with the Jets.  I hope he does it, but based on what he's done, I'm not looking at some guy who definitely will get 200 carries and 1200 yards.    Lynch on the other hand,   his last couple of seasons in Buffalo sucked because the guy was suspended for off the field issues like running over a person, he's had issues with the law before that situation, etc and the new coaching staff kind of soured after that.   Kind of happens when players have a bad attitude and get suspended for violating NFL conduct policies.

So while Lynch had some injury issues, his major issue was serious attitude and legal problems.     The fact he was traded away and seemed to have a better attitude was why he put up numbers, not because he was ever a backup or injury prone.   Ivory just didn't play because nobody thinks enough of him to start.   All the excuses are just excuses.

Fair enough. I agree that Lynch hadn't lost his job due to his lack of talent, but let's not forget he started at the top of the heap due to his college status and where he was drafted. Ivory was an UDFA who had to work his way up through the system. He wasn't exactly sitting behind Bilal Powell down in NO.  The RB's who were ahead of him were no slouches. The one season where Ivory had to fill in and carry more of the load, he produced. 

The only thing that worries me is the injury stuff.  The talent is there IMO.

NFL fantasy football: Chris Ivory dealt to Jets

Michael Fabiano | Tags: Chris Ivory, NFL fantasy football

Welcome to my Fantasy Man crush list, Chris Ivory.

The talented running back was dealt to the New York Jets over the weekend, a move that will make him one of the top sleeper/breakout candidates in fantasy football. Buried on the depth chart over the last three years with the New Orleans Saints, Ivory showed flashes of brilliance when he did have a chance to tote the rock. He’s averaged better than five yards per carry in his career, and his body is fresh from the lack of attempts he’s received since 2011.

Ivory will fill the role of departed starter Shonn Greene, who finished among the top 20 running backs in the league based on fantasy points last season while averaging a less-than-impressive 3.9 yards per carry. To put it simply, Ivory is a better back than Greene with youth on his side (he’s 25). And now he’ll have a chance to see 275-300 carries for the first time as an NFL back. While he will lose some third-down work to Mike Goodson, Ivory will be about as close to a featured runner as you can have in a league that has installed more committees in recent seasons.

I wouldn’t hesitate to draft him in one of the first four- to five rounds as a No. 2 runner in 2013.

Michael Fabiano is an award-winning fantasy football analyst on NFL.com and NFL Network and a member of the Fantasy Sports Writers Association (FSWA) Hall of Fame. Have a question on anything fantasy related? Tweet it to @Michael_Fabiano or send a question via Facebook!

He didn't start bc he was in a crowded back field consisting Ingram, P. Thomas, and Sproles. So you take all those running backs + a offense that barely runs as it is = very little playing time. Nothing to do with anyone not thinking enough of him.  Ask a Saints fan what they think of   He had only those couple games when Sproles was out to come in and really show what he got and he did exactly just that.  The guy was beasting it all over the field.  Its also the reason why the Saints were able to trade him for a 4th this year.  

Archived