Joe McKnight to come out swinging

Pac

• By MARK CANNIZZARO

Lost in the bright lights of the five-man quarterback competition and the mundane matter of who’s going to throw the football for the Jets in 2013 is a less-ballyhooed four-way battle for who’s going to run the ball.

Shonn Greene, the Jets’ lead running back for the last two seasons but never a player who kept a single defensive coordinator up late at night, left via free agency with the team never making any serious move to re-sign him.

So the Jets, who have not had a legitimate lead back since they opted not to bring back Thomas Jones after the 2009 season, are in search of consistent big-play backfield talent. And their choices are not exactly between the likes of Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Adrian Peterson.

Whether any of the four players competing for the lead role is that player remains very much in question. Two of them, former Saint Chris Ivory and former Raider Mike Goodson, are newcomers. The other two are Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell.

Combined, the four have 651 attempts, 2,969 yards, a 4.5-yard average and 15 TDs. None of the four players has ever been a lead back.

Of the four, McKnight, in his fourth season with the Jets, is most vocal about his burning desire to be the man.

“Words can’t even describe how badly I want to be that guy,’’ McKnight told The Post during a break in offseason workouts last week at the team’s Florham Park, N.J., training facility. “I’ve got an edge — a fire to me ... so I can show everybody that I can play.

“When I’m out there practicing it’s like I’m [ticked] off. I’ve got to play the game [ticked] off. That gives me the edge and keeps me on top of my game.’’

McKnight undoubtedly had his nose bent out of shape when the Jets acquired Goodson as a free agent and Ivory in a draft-day trade with New Orleans for a fourth-round pick. He surely saw those moves as the team not having confidence in him.

“I just felt like people are still doubting me, so it’s time for me to go out there and show ’em,’’ he said.

Where McKnight takes it from here is anybody’s guess, but based on Ivory’s career stats, the former Saint appears on paper to be the most accomplished of the group, with 1,307 rushing yards, a 5.1-yard average and eight TDs.

“It’s ‘Competition U’ here and I want to compete,’’ McKnight said. “I did it at USC when they had 11 running backs out there and I’m going to do it now.’’

McKnight views his career, defined more by his special teams contributions as one of the league’s best kick returners than anything he’s done as a running back, as unfulfilled.

“I’m going to be a lot better,’’ he vowed. “I made that promise to myself. If not, I’m going to die trying. I’m nowhere near close to where I want to go.’’

McKnight revealed he never had a conversation with Tony Sparano, the Jets offensive coordinator last season before he was fired.

“I don’t know what Sparano thought of me because he never talked to me,’’ McKnight said. “I’m not going to let that happen again.’’

McKnight said he “loves’’ new coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, with whom he shares the same agent.

McKnight, Goodson and Ivory all share a common trait in that they all believe they haven’t yet had a fair chance to be a lead back.

Goodson, who has 160 career attempts, 722 yards, a 4.5-yard average and three TDs, said he signed with the Jets because he saw a “pretty wide-open opportunity.’’

Shortly after the Jets traded for Ivory, he expressed his desire to break out of the being “buried in a crowded backfield’’ he had to deal with in New Orleans, calling the move to the Jets “an opportunity for me to really get the carries that I deserve.”

“I just feel like it’s my time,’’ Ivory said. “I can do some great things and put up some crazy numbers in New York.”

They all have dreams. The offensively-challenged Jets simply hope one of these four backs emerges as that lead playmaker they desperately need to help whichever of the five quarterbacks competing emerges as the starter. Otherwise, 2013 is going to be a much longer and more disappointing season than 2012 was.

No wonder last years offense was such a disgrace.  How does the OC ignore the O's most explosive player? 

Mark deserves the mulligan he's getting.

Because Sporano was a complete dipsht thats how.  I like Mcknight and thought he did have potential with us but he is truly gonna have a hell of a time getting any time in front of Ivory....that is if Ivory performs like he did when he got the ball last year. Plus you still got Goodson and Powell who are gonna be hungry as well.  But hell, I'll keep him for kick offs and some screen passes here n there.

Because Sporano was a complete dipsht thats how.  I like Mcknight and thought he did have potential with us but he is truly gonna have a hell of a team getting any time in front of Ivory....that is if Ivory performs like he did when he got the ball last year. Plus you still got Goodson and Powell who are gonna be hungry as well.  But hell, I'll keep him for kick offs and some screen passes here n there.

Yep

I think that's what McKnight's role is going to be here.  Goodson was signed to take a lot of his 3rd down role.  he'll have to perform at a very high level to win that back.

He has the gifts, but he was an underachiever at USC, and so far here

McKnight, Goodson and Ivory are all always injured.  ALWAYS.  I think McKnight ran fairly well last year, he just kept getting hurt.  Let them all run and play whoever is healthy and not sucking. I'm okay with the backfield.  As okay as I could be for a stable with no established back.  This is a good year to see what shakes out.  I feel better about this than 2006, when we went into the season with Houston and Blaylock, added Leon in the draft and Barlow (after Lee Suggs failed his physical) via trade.

Sparano should have really got a do over.

No wonder last years offense was such a disgrace.  How does the OC ignore the O's most explosive player? 

Mark deserves the mulligan he's getting.

Top notch stuff you guys, LOL.

One thing that is bound to happen with this crowded backfield,is one of these guys is gonna make sure he stands out from the rest when his # is called..... and there will emerge our new starting RB.

Chris Ivory is our new starting RB. 

The competition is for the #2 spot. There is a small handful of teams that uses one RB, hell even the Texans who have one of the best RBs in football rely heavily on a 2 back system. We'll do the same. 

It's going to come down to McKnight and Powell. 

Ivory and Goodson are set in their roles. 

McKnight should be moved to safety.

McKnight certainly better work his ass off, because he's the most likely odd man out.  Everyone knows that, health permitting, Ivory is going to be the #1 man for the Jets this year.  Goodson is going to be taking over that third down role that McKnight was brought in for but never really took control of.  Powell on the other hand, is probably pretty safely locked in as the Jets' #2 traditional ball-carrier to take some carries off of Ivory and as insurance in case he gets hurt again.  That leaves McKnight to either prove he can overtake one of these guys, two of which were hand-picked by the new GM and so making it no easy task, or prove himself enough on both special teams and in the passing game to convince the Jets to carry 4 RBs.  It's certainly not impossible, but the odds are stacked against him more than any of these other guys.

Sparano what wise choice for offensive coordinator- not! Thanks Rex for keen eye for talent on your staff

Yup. A whole year in the toilet because of Rex having a momentary man crust for Sporano.

I was dead wrong about that guy. Sheesh... I liked the hire at first. Ugh. 

I like McKnight too, always respected how he got himself back into the mix via special teams after basically being written off by everyone and gradually getting more involved since then.

It's going to be by commission anyways. Even if Ivory is as good as some here believe him to be, this is 2013, so few backs carry the load now. McKnight should get plenty of chances whether he's that guy or not. 

McKnight puts his blunt in a Bud Light can that he's turned into an ashtray, sips his Courvoisier McFlurry and stares at the TV. His eyes widen. "Yo, they traded Shonn?" It is May 8th, and McKnight's life has changed forever. He stands up quickly and a pickle slice tumbles off of his chest. "I'm the MAN, now." From another room, Hayden Panetierre, newly awaken, says "what, baby?"

"Yo, I'm the MAN now. THE MAN."

"You know it, baby," the actress says.

"I'M THE MAN."

Ivory will be the primary ball carrier.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Goodson and Powell split back up responsibilities.  

McKnight will still be on the team as ST's guy.  Kick offs, maybe gunner - things of that nature.  Then maybe they get him involved on offense with a few carries, some looks in the slot, multiple back sets, and maybe Rex gets jiggy with it and puts him in on D.  However, I doubt he's heavily involved in the offense.  I could be wrong but he's just a liability out there that I dont see MM putting a lot of faith in him carrying the ball.

Chris Ivory is our new starting RB. 

The competition is for the #2 spot. There is a small handful of teams that uses one RB, hell even the Texans who have one of the best RBs in football rely heavily on a 2 back system. We'll do the same. 

It's going to come down to McKnight and Powell. 

Ivory and Goodson are set in their roles. 

McKnight should be moved to safety.

I do agree that Ivory should be our #1 and and that he will be our #1.  I just don't think the Jets are anywhere from making that official until they put all these guys on the field. ...for all we know, maybe McKnight was on the sauce all off season and now he is set to have a breakout year..Crazier sht has happened. 

McKnight puts his blunt in a Bud Light can that he's turned into and ashtray, sips his Courvoisier McFlurry and stares at the TV. His eyes widen. "Yo, they traded Shonn?" It is May 8th, and McKnight's life has changed forever. He stands up quickly and a pickle slice tumbles off of his chest. "I'm the MAN, now." From another room, Hayden Panetierre, newly awaken, says "what, baby?"

"I'M THE MAN."

Shonn wasnt traded. 

I do agree that Ivory should be our #1 and and that he will be our #1.  I just don't think the Jets are anywhere from making that official until they put all these guys on the field. ...for all we know, maybe McKnight was on the sauce all off season and now he is set to have a breakout year..Crazier sht has happened. 

Sure, anything is possible (or so I'm told).  I'm just making a prediction of how I see the position unfolding come week 1. 

McKnight puts his blunt in a Bud Light can that he's turned into and ashtray, sips his Courvoisier McFlurry and stares at the TV. His eyes widen. "Yo, they traded Shonn?" It is May 8th, and McKnight's life has changed forever. He stands up quickly and a pickle slice tumbles off of his chest. "I'm the MAN, now." From another room, Hayden Panetierre, newly awaken, says "what, baby?"

"I'M THE MAN."

lmao

"I'M THE MAN."

/Borgo'd

They made it official when they gave him the contract. :)

Ivory will be the primary ball carrier.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Goodson and Powell split back up responsibilities.  

McKnight will still be on the team as ST's guy.  Kick offs, maybe gunner - things of that nature.  Then maybe they get him involved on offense with a few carries, some looks in the slot, multiple back sets, and maybe Rex gets jiggy with it and puts him in on D.  However, I doubt he's heavily involved in the offense.  I could be wrong but he's just a liability out there that I dont see MM putting a lot of faith in him carrying the ball.

Yes to everything you say....I can see MM however using him in the slot like you say or even on screen options a lot too bc McKnight can MOVE if he catches a little day light.  That can't be ignored

Just like when they gave Sanchez his contract. :winking0001:

Yes, pretty much.

They extended Sanchez before last season, and did everything in their power to avoid benching him. Including throwing a whole season in the sh*tter.

Regardless, different decision makers, different circumstances because of the position.

Yes, pretty much.

They extended Sanchez before last season, and did everything in their power to avoid benching him. Including throwing a whole season in the sh*tter.

Regardless, different decision makers, different circumstances because of the position.

They threw the whole season in the sh*tter when they brought in Tebow. 

Maybe if he didnt fumble at an alarming rate for how many times he actually touches the ball someone would actually consider giving him a larger role.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this. Joe has 6 fumble in the last 73 touches n about 300 yards. If he wants to be the lead back, he'll have to carry the ball 240+ times for 1000+ yards but at that rate, he'll have like 20+ fumbles in a yr.

"I'M THE MAN."

was that pickle from McDonalds ? The meal of champions.

Someone should sit this idiot down and smack his face. And then Smack Cannizzaro for even printing this crap.

They threw the whole season in the sh*tter when they brought in Tebow. 

The only team in the history of sports that had a losing season because they added one depth player to their roster.

This is why Jets fans don't deserve a winner. They are stupid.

Archived