Holmes: Sanchez is the Starter "Right Now"

flgreen

Holmes backs Sanchez
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Posted: 10:15 PM, May 8, 2013

Mark Sanchez received the backing of an unexpected supporter in the Jets’ quarterback competition Wednesday – wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

Appearing on the NBC Sports Network, Holmes was asked who the team’s starting quarterback is.

"Right now, it's Sanchez, and that's who we're going with, and we're going to continue on this road until time permits," Holmes said in his first public comments since last season.

Holmes and Sanchez famously feuded at the end of the 2011 season, but patched things up during the offseason. Holmes missed 12 games last year with a foot injury that he is still recovering from.

Holmes dodged a question when asked to sum up the Tim Tebow experience in one word.

"That one, I'm going to leave unanswered for that one,” he said. “I have no answer for that one." When pressed on it he said, "I didn't get a chance to play with Tim Tebow, so I can't fully express myself on the situation."

Holmes has been at Ohio State taking classes and rehabbing his foot. He has not participated in the Jets’ voluntary workouts so far.

In March, Holmes took a $3.5 million pay cut to help the team’s salary cap situation. He said he was not in danger of being released if he did not agree to the cut, which lowered his base salary to $7.5 million.

"I want to be here for the long term, and if it means helping out the team, I'm going to continue helping out the team in any way possible," Holmes said.

Like many Jets players, Holmes was shocked when the team traded star cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Buccaneers.

"I didn't believe it," Holmes said. "I was constantly getting text messages and phone calls, asking me about the situation, and all I can say is congrats to [Revis]. He deserves to get paid the way he's playing, and I hope he gets well with his injury to provide some great defense for the Bucs."

Read more: Holmes backs Sanchez http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/holmes_backs_sanchez_SxizMkW37vYqUAZBUmUBzI#ixzz2SlM3WO5i

Holmes backs Sanchez

By BRIAN COSTELLO

In March, Holmes took a $3.5 million pay cut to help the team’s salary cap situation. He said he was not in danger of being released if he did not agree to the cut, which lowered his base salary to $7.5 million.

"I want to be here for the long term, and if it means helping out the team, I'm going to continue helping out the team in any way possible," Holmes said.

:rl:

Totally believable.  Totally.

Santonio Holmes was on NBC Sports and he was asked who the starting QB of the NY Jets was.  He said that he spoke with Mark yesterday and today.  Mark is focused on helping the team, that’s what his job is.  Santonio also added that, “right now, it’s Sanchez”.

He was asked about restructuring his contract and Holmes made it clear that he wants to be a Jet for the long term.  When asked about his injury he did add that if there was a game this Sunday he couldn’t play.  “I probably wouldn’t try that at all”.

He also speaks briefly about the Revis trade and Tim Tebow.  You can watch the interview below.

Breaking sports news video. MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL highlights and more.

Holmes backs Sanchez

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Mark Sanchez received the backing of an unexpected supporter in the Jets’ quarterback competition Wednesday – wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

Appearing on the NBC Sports Network, Holmes was asked who the team’s starting quarterback is.

"Right now, it's Sanchez, and that's who we're going with, and we're going to continue on this road until time permits," Holmes said in his first public comments since last season.

Holmes and Sanchez famously feuded at the end of the 2011 season, but patched things up during the offseason. Holmes missed 12 games last year with a foot injury that he is still recovering from.

Holmes dodged a question when asked to sum up the Tim Tebow experience in one word.

"That one, I'm going to leave unanswered for that one,” he said. “I have no answer for that one." When pressed on it he said, "I didn't get a chance to play with Tim Tebow, so I can't fully express myself on the situation."

Holmes has been at Ohio State taking classes and rehabbing his foot. He has not participated in the Jets’ voluntary workouts so far.

Like many Jets players, Holmes was shocked when the team traded star cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Buccaneers.

"I didn't believe it," Holmes said. "I was constantly getting text messages and phone calls, asking me about the situation, and all I can say is congrats to [Revis]. He deserves to get paid the way he's playing, and I hope he gets well with his injury to provide some great defense for the Bucs."

Read more: Holmes backs Sanchez http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/holmes_backs_sanchez_SxizMkW37vYqUAZBUmUBzI#ixzz2SlM3WO5i

Honestly speaking, his opinion doesn't really matter cause he's probably gone next year. Anyway, I hope they start Geno, I think his development, and our franchise would be better suited if he was starting day one.

If the team is of the mind to burn $8 million dollars, I'd rather cut Holmes than Sanchez at this point. There can be little worse for Geno's confidence than having a contract-minded Holmes in the huddle during a lost season.

If the team is of the mind to burn $8 million dollars, I'd rather cut Holmes than Sanchez at this point. There can be little worse for Geno's confidence than having a contract-minded Holmes in the huddle during a lost season.

If you really wnat to get rid of Holmes just drug test him.  no way he said any of that straight.

Yeah, but maybe Geno would be a man and tell him to shut the **** up, instead of the pussy Sanchez caving and having his linemen and TEs fighting his battles for him.  Maybe.

Yeah, but maybe Geno would be a man and tell him to shut the **** up, instead of the pussy Sanchez caving and having his linemen and TEs fighting his battles for him.  Maybe.

I like this, prove to the organization that you are, in fact, in charge out there.  Put this guy in his place, he needs to run routes and get open.  He doesn't need to speak on anything or cause turmoil.  If he can do that as a rookie, I think we may have found our QB.

Archived