Namath's take on Rex Ryan

shhwagah

Spot on! Especially the bolded portion. Some people despise the truth because it forces them to change their perception of reality, of the way they things should be or are. You see it everywhere today. Truth used to be something all aspired to learn. Not any more. Nowadays, many want to say there is no truth, that everything is true, right and good, and it's just differing concepts of reality or perception. BS. Utter and total BS. There are definite, observable, constant truths out there if people open their eyes and hearts. Our very country was founded on the principles of truth (We hold these truths to be self evident...), but I guess a lot of today's youth don't know anything about our nation's history, our Constitution, Bill of Rights. Sad. It's their very own (and the country's) future they are destroying, because those that don't know history and learn from it, are doomed to repeat it.

Not knowing the truth and then acting upon it, is how Hitler came to power. It's how Communism and dictatorial regimes take over. People are blind and lazy. Too preoccupied with their own selfish pursuits rather than paying attention to what's going on in their society and government around them and doing what's right.

POTW

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone is going a little bit off the subject, so I'm going to follow suit. Respond in essay form and grammar counts lol. Honestly as yourself these questions:

1.  I'm not sure if Joe has ever said anything positive about the Jets organization recently, but if he has do you think these vultures would print it? If your answer is "no" then WTF is the point of Joe talking to the media? Also, do you think Joe Namath is dumb enough to believe all of his comments would be taken in the context he intended? 

2.  If all he has is criticism for the Jets, and nothing the Jets have done is positive, what does that tell you about Joe's intentions or the validity of his opinions?

3.  Also, take note of Rex Ryan's high road response to Joe's negativity toward the Jets and Rex himself. Rex acknowledged Joe's achievements and said he's always looked up to Joe and admired him. Rex also said Joe has a right to his opinion, which he does. Do you still see the sh*t talking Rex of 2011?

Everyone is going a little bit off the subject, so I'm going to follow suit. Respond in essay form and grammar counts lol. Honestly as yourself these questions:

1.  I'm not sure if Joe has ever said anything positive about the Jets organization recently, but if he has do you think these vultures would print it? If your answer is "no" then WTF is the point of Joe talking to the media? Also, do you think Joe Namath is dumb enough to believe all of his comments would be taken in the context he intended? 

2.  If all he has is criticism for the Jets, and nothing the Jets have done is positive, what does that tell you about Joe's intentions or the validity of his opinions?

3.  Also, take note of Rex Ryan's high road response to Joe's negativity toward the Jets and Rex himself. Rex acknowledged Joe's achievements and said he's always looked up to Joe and admired him. Rex also said Joe has a right to his opinion, which he does. Do you still see the sh*t talking Rex of 2011?

1. Since I don't read any of the hack Jets beat writers unless one of you posts his column/comments here, I can't answer the first part of #1 except to say it depends upon who was interviewing Joe.  I think some, maybe all would.  I think Connor Orr would as he seems to be the best of the lot.  The point is that he can still try to influence the Jets to make what he believe to be the right moves.  I don't think that Joe is dumb.  As to context, I have no clue what you're talking about with regard to the posted interview.  It seems to be fairly straight forward to me.  Perhaps there is some hidden context or Cimini twisted things a bit.  Only Joe can answer that.

2. Nobody is totally bad or totally good.  Everyone makes mistakes and even the dumbest people do some things right.  I don't think that Joe has said only negative things about the Jets, but if he has, I'd have to see those statements to evaluate them.  While more good things than bad have happened over the last 10 years with the Jets, there have still been plenty of bad moves by Woody, Tanny, Rex, Schotty,Sparano and company to supply plenty of criticism.

3. Please.  Even I don't think that Rex is stupid enough to publicly blast Joe Namath, but that said, Idzik may have laid down the law to Rex about keeping his dumb mouth shut and not saying anything controversial or negative in the media  Part of me would like.to believe that there's hope for Rex, that he isn't as dumb as I think he is, and is learning, growing and improving, but unless or until I actually see clearcut evidence of that in the way he handles the team and the way the team performs on the field, I won't think that much improvement is possible.  Apples don't fall far from the tree.  His father was a dumbass as a HC, his twin brother is a dumbass, and Rex has been more circus clown and dumbass than smart HC.

1. Since I don't read any of the hack Jets beat writers unless one of you posts his column/comments here, I can't answer the first part of #1 except to say it depends upon who was interviewing Joe.  I think some, maybe all would.  I think Connor Orr would as he seems to be the best of the lot.  The point is that he can still try to influence the Jets to make what he believe to be the right moves.  I don't think that Joe is dumb.  As to context, I have no clue what you're talking about with regard to the posted interview.  It seems to be fairly straight forward to me.  Perhaps there is some hidden context or Cimini twisted things a bit.  Only Joe can answer that.

2. Nobody is totally bad or totally good.  Everyone makes mistakes and even the dumbest people do some things right.  I don't think that Joe has said only negative things about the Jets, but if he has, I'd have to see those statements to evaluate them.  While more good things than bad have happened over the last 10 years with the Jets, there have still been plenty of bad moves by Woody, Tanny, Rex, Schotty,Sparano and company to supply plenty of criticism.

3. Please.  Even I don't think that Rex is stupid enough to publicly blast Joe Namath, but that said, Idzik may have laid down the law to Rex about keeping his dumb mouth shut and not saying anything controversial or negative in the media  Part of me would like.to believe that there's hope for Rex, that he isn't as dumb as I think he is, and is learning, growing and improving, but unless or until I actually see clearcut evidence of that in the way he handles the team and the way the team performs on the field, I won't think that much improvement is possible.  Apples don't fall far from the tree.  His father was a dumbass as a HC, his twin brother is a dumbass, and Rex has been more circus clown and dumbass than smart HC.

I think you nailed Rex's recent behavior with the Idzik comment. Even if Idzik didn't have a direct convo with Rex about this, I think the organizational culture changed very quickly when Idzik got there. Idzik is a quiet thoughtful guy and everyone else below him fell in line behind him. Tanny on the other hand didn't have control or want control of the organization that way. He liked splashy moves and being all over the headlines. In the same exact manner, he took his queue from Woody. 

Spot on!  Especially the bolded portion.  Some people despise the truth because it forces them to change their perception of reality, of the way they things should be or are.  You see it everywhere today.  Truth used to be something all aspired to learn.  Not any more. Nowadays, many want to say there is no truth, that everything is true, right and good, and it's just differing concepts of reality or perception.  BS.  Utter and total BS.  There are definite, observable, constant truths out there if people open their eyes and hearts.  Our very country was founded on the principles of truth (We hold these truths to be self evident...), but I guess a lot of today's youth don't know anything about our nation's history, our Constitution, Bill of Rights. Sad.  It's their very own (and the country's) future they are destroying, because those that don't know history and learn from it, are doomed to repeat it.

Not knowing the truth and then acting upon it, is how Hitler came to power.  It's how Communism and dictatorial regimes take over.  People are blind and lazy.  Too preoccupied with their own selfish pursuits rather than paying attention to what's going on in their society and government around them and doing what's right.

MURICA.

Where was this decree when Rex announced to the Rams they needed to trade ahead of us for Tavon Austin?

Where was this decree when Rex announced to the Rams they needed to trade ahead of us for Tavon Austin?

I didn't know that Rex had done that!!!!  If I had, I'd really have been blasting his dumb ass.  If Idzik did lay down the law to Rex, he should have done it before that, or if he did and Rex said it anyway, I hope that Idzik fined his ass big time to get his attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Um... it's still just his opinion.  Rex has been around football a long time too.  So have plenty of sh*tty coaches.  Joe has been spot on for 4-5 years?  You mean while he was bad mouthing them during the deep playoff runs?  

Rex hasn't won sh*t....Joe has got our only SB......In my opinion Joe's word over Rex anyday of the week.....You like Rex thats fine, but the facts are he is done after this season.

Joe loves the Jets, that doesn't mean he has to love the idiots who own the team, or are in charge of it at any given time. I'm not sure what some of the derptards here, like this goofball that started this thread to whine about this, don't understand about this.

I love America, that doesn't mean I love every president we've ever had, or the congressmen, or anyone at all in charge of governing this country. BUT I still love our country. 

Just like I love our Jets, though I mostly hate the people that have been in place contributing to the Jets failings for the better part of my lifetime.

• 1 year later...

The turning point in Rex's career was the Eagles game where Santonio humiliated the franchise and Rex did nothing about it. If you look at the records, it's a direct nose dive from that game on.

Easily one of the worst things he did during his time here.  One of the two times I actually wanted him fired.

Going through this thread was awesome. So much hope for the Jets when Idzik got hired; this can easily be surmised in the first couple of pages by posters proclaiming how Idzik would turn around the circus atmopshere, fire/turn around Rex, etc. None of that stuff ever happened.

Not to mention that people hated Cimini as much then as they do now. Honestly, I never got that hate. Maybe it's my sense of humor, but he writes with an acerbic wit that you have to be able to understand in order to appreciate his writing. When I read his articles, I just think of a depressed SOJF. Kind of annoying, but also funny in a snarky way. Not to mention that he has a ton of connections within the Jets organization and is usually the first to report on stuff when it happens.

Mehta, on the other hand, is just a douche. If he was funny about it, then it could work in a sarcastic tone, but he just comes across as a little turd.

Going through this thread was awesome. So much hope for the Jets when Idzik got hired; this can easily be surmised in the first couple of pages by posters proclaiming how Idzik would turn around the circus atmopshere, fire/turn around Rex, etc. None of that stuff ever happened.

Not to mention that people hated Cimini as much then as they do now. Honestly, I never got that hate. Maybe it's my sense of humor, but he writes with an acerbic wit that you have to be able to understand in order to appreciate his writing. When I read his articles, I just think of a depressed SOJF. Kind of annoying, but also funny in a snarky way. Not to mention that he has a ton of connections within the Jets organization and is usually the first to report on stuff when it happens.

Mehta, on the other hand, is just a douche. If he was funny about it, then it could work in a sarcastic tone, but he just comes across as a little turd.

Welcome to the board Rich!

In a sense, it did happen. Albeit, not the way some hoped or anticipated, but hiring Idzik was the first step towards purging the team of Rex, Bradway and all of the other incompetence that has haunted this team in recent years.

Sort of like how Favre helped usher out the Pennington purgatory we were stuck in. 

I still stick by my original want... I wanted both Tanny and Rex fired, and for us to hire Bruce Arians after that year he took over for Pagano. 

In a sense, it did happen. Albeit, not the way some hoped or anticipated, but hiring Idzik was the first step towards purging the team of Rex, Bradway and all of the other incompetence that has haunted this team in recent years.

Sort of like how Favre helped usher out the Pennington purgatory we were stuck in. 

I still stick by my original want... I wanted both Tanny and Rex fired, and for us to hire Bruce Arians after that year he took over for Pagano. 

well bowles is supposed to be bruce arians-lite, is he not? you sort of got your wish :)

He's wrong about Pettine.

Next promotion for Pettine was HC and he's not getting it as the DC of a defense-only HC running only said-HC's defensive scheme.  Only way for him to get that promotion is to make it on his own away from Rex.  It would be one thing if being a defensive coach from the Rex coaching tree was an asset on a resume but that seems unlikely.

Yeah, that was a goofy statement.

He got offered a HC job, if anything, that's a good statement about Ryan, that one of his head guys got promoted.  I agree overall, you can't be that friendly,.

In orther words the worse thing that could have happened for Rex haters was to get him a competent GM like Mac? At least I assume that's what you mean?? Looking back I agree Rex should have gone with Tanny and I would have been 100% on Bruce Arians as HC..IMO he's the best Offense minded HC I have seen since Bill Walsh..

In orther words the worse thing that could have happened for Rex haters was to get him a competent GM like Mac? At least I assume that's what you mean?? Looking back I agree Rex should have gone with Tanny and I would have been 100% on Bruce Arians as HC..IMO he's the best Offense minded HC I have seen since Bill Walsh..

Yeah, no. Nothing like that is even implied in what I said. I don't buy into this "good for the haters" line of thinking. I'm interested in what's good for the Jets. Rex was bad for the Jets more than he was good, but veteran players and all-in moves by Tanny helped hide it early. When Idzik was hired, we ended up with a HC and GM and nothing on the roster that could hide how bad both were at their jobs. As a result, it brought everything to a head and facilitated the entire scouting re-organization. Clean sweep. 

What happened, happened. It's good in that Woody finally opted for surgery over putting band-aid on the wound. It's good that the "fixing it" effort was full-scale rather than incremental which is all we've seen from Woody in the past. What's bad is that we had to bottom out, in order to just get to the point where MAYBE we are on the right track.

Yeah, no. Nothing like that is even implied in what I said. I don't buy into this "good for the haters" line of thinking. I'm interested in what's good for the Jets. Rex was bad for the Jets more than he was good, but veteran players and all-in moves by Tanny helped hide it early. When Idzik was hired, we ended up with a HC and GM and nothing on the roster that could hide how bad both were at their jobs. As a result, it brought everything to a head and facilitated the entire scouting re-organization. Clean sweep. 

What happened, happened. It's good in that Woody finally opted for surgery over putting band-aid on the wound. It's good that the "fixing it" effort was full-scale rather than incremental which is all we've seen from Woody in the past. What's bad is that we had to bottom out, in order to just get to the point where MAYBE we are on the right track.

If Rex was so bad at his job how did we get to 2 AFCCG's with a rookie and 2nd year QB who sucked?? We had crap on the roster in 2013 and went 8-8.. I thought it was time for Rex to go(With Tanny) I just don't think that means you have to hate him or say he totally sucked when he was here.. Some glorify Mangini as a HC who never won a playoff game and his QB's were Chad and Favre.

If Rex was so bad at his job how did we get to 2 AFCCG's with a rookie and 2nd year QB who sucked?? We had crap on the roster in 2013 and went 8-8.. I thought it was time for Rex to go(With Tanny) I just don't think that means you have to hate him or say he totally sucked when he was here.. Some glorify Mangini as a HC who never won a playoff game and his QB's were Chad and Favre.

I hated Mangini, I don't give a **** about the morons that glorify him. He was worse than Rex. That said, Mangini and Rex had the same record in Mangini's last year and Rex's first, the only difference is the way the cards fell around the Jets helped Rex back into the playoffs. 

If I ever had to win a road playoff game against a team without a top tier QB, and on paper the teams were about even, I'd want Rex as my coach because he's a classic "on any given Sunday" motivator that could make a difference in that one game. That's a great quality to have, but if that quality to help a team over the hump in one game here and there comes at the expense of driving the franchise into the toilet, then no thanks. You can keep you "every man's hero". 

Rex was bad at his job for the reasons that have been hashed over endlessly on this site. In summary, he was never a complete HC, he had no eye for talent, he was loyal to a fault to both assistants and players, he held nobody accountable, his best strategy in his role was conniving to keep his job instead of winning, he was a detriment to scoring and QB development in the era of the QB and scoring, and while he took us on some fun playoff runs to his credit, he left this team way worse off than it was when he got here. He never won the division. He never really threatened the Patriots at all, except when we beat them in Foxboro in the playoffs. That was his finest moment, and also the last truly great moment he had, then it took 4 years for everyone to realize that he peaked that day.

Spare me the "he didn't totally suck" nonsense. The worst thing in the world for this fanbase was a likable coach that couldn't do his job. Rex was the HC equivalent of Pennington. Likable enough, could make you think he's about to become good, could even have good moments, but ultimately straddling the line between good and detrimental to the franchise holds the franchise hostage for years... and leaves an emotional rift in the fanbase. 

Spare me the "he didn't totally suck" nonsense. The worst thing in the world for this fanbase was a likable coach that couldn't do his job. Rex was the HC equivalent of Pennington. Likable enough, could make you think he's about to become good, could even have good moments, but ultimately straddling the line between good and detrimental to the franchise holds the franchise hostage for years... and leaves an emotional rift in the fanbase. 

Going by that line of thinking the Tuna cost us BB by saying he would only coach for 3 years then stayed a extra year as GM.. I want a HC that wants to stay long and win bowls the Tuna wasn't the HC that wanted to do that BB was..

Going by that line of thinking the Tuna cost us BB by saying he would only coach for 3 years then stayed a extra year as GM.. I want a HC that wants to stay long and win bowls the Tuna wasn't the HC that wanted to do that BB was..

I don't see how this relates at all to what I said, but okay.

He's wrong about Pettine.

Next promotion for Pettine was HC and he's not getting it as the DC of a defense-only HC running only said-HC's defensive scheme.  Only way for him to get that promotion is to make it on his own away from Rex.  It would be one thing if being a defensive coach from the Rex coaching tree was an asset on a resume but that seems unlikely.

According to the new book on Rex and the Jets, Low Crossers...Pettine and Rex were not on the greatest terms. I wish this site would just stop with the rex crap anyway. He is GONE, GONE GONE and I am GLAD, GLAD, GLAD. SO enough Rex already.

He never really threatened the Patriots at all, except when we beat them in Foxboro in the playoffs. That was his finest moment, and also the last truly great moment he had, then it took 4 years for everyone to realize that he peaked that day.

His defense - especially BARF Scott - realized it and didn't bother to show up in Pittsburgh. That team was flat as a pancake which shows another of Rex's flaws. That he can't do anything right consistently. Yeah, he can pull of a great upset here and there, but watch what happens the next week. Jets lose 35-10. 

I think you are 100 percent right. If Parcells had simply left, and not bumped himself upstairs Belichick might have stayed. But now considering what BB has done to sully his own reputation in NE I am glad he didn't.

Archived