Rex Ryan isn't close to naming starter at QB

F.Chowds

BY SETH WALDER

Rex Ryan is preparing for the long haul on the quarterback competition

Though Marty Mornhinweg told the Daily News in May that the team’s quarterback could be decided before training camp, Ryan made it clear the team will be waiting for making a decision. “I don’t think we’re close to that right now,” Ryan said. “The process is, you don’t have to make that move. But until we feel 100% comfortable with that decision, then we’ll just leave it to competition.”

Added Ryan, “If it’s not (100% clear), then we’re going to keep competing all the way until whenever.”

The Jets coach declined to handicap the odds of Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith winning the two-way battle. “It’s way too early to say,” said Ryan. “Some days this guy looks good, some days this guy looks good.”

Rex probably shouldn't be involved with picking the QB in general

I think what Rex meant to say was, "I dunno. Nobody's told me yet. There's Mark out on the other field with, I dunno, Brad Smith, maybe? Did we sign Tarvaris Jackson? I don't even know. Anyway, boyitellya, whoever Marty picks is gonna be great, whether it's Mark or the other fella. Tarvaris Jackson? I don't even know."

Rex Ryan isn't close to knowing as much football as your typical Jet fan, eh? EH!?!? 

He knew just enough about QB to march Sanchez out there for 4 years, with no backup plan and felt confident enough in what he saw to permanently ink his body. We can all agree nobody knows as much football as you though.

He knew just enough about QB to march Sanchez out there for 4 years, with no backup plan and felt confident enough in what he saw to permanently ink his body. We can all agree nobody knows as much football as you though.

The oh-yeah-well-he-knows-football-better-than-you-dumb-fans is always the third to last argument made in defense of a bad coach before he gets fired. The second to last argument is always the oh-yeah-well-he'll-get-hired-by-another-team-in-five-minutes one. The very last argument is oh-please-he's-not-out-there-on-the-field-he-can't-catch-it-for-them-he-can't-make-tackles-for-them.

The oh-yeah-well-he-knows-football-better-than-you-dumb-fans is always the third to last argument made in defense of a bad coach before he gets fired. The second to last argument is always the oh-yeah-well-he'll-get-hired-by-another-team-in-five-minutes one. The very last argument is oh-please-he's-not-out-there-on-the-field-he-can't-catch-it-for-them-he-can't-make-tackles-for-them.

You're forgetting the always popular post-firing "see, this other guy still sucks without him, so that means none of this other stuff he was fired for was his fault!" argument.

Bit how are you getting conclusion Mark has been better in practices- the reports I read are both have struggled. And when you have 4 years experience over  a rookie that is damming

Bit how are you getting conclusion Mark has been better in practices- the reports I read are both have struggled. And when you have 4 years experience over  a rookie that is damming

in all the practices, Sanchez had better comp % and more TD. the fact that Sanchez has experience is why he's winning this competition. If Geno was day 1 ready awesome, he likely would have gone rd 1. I like Geno but the best thing for his career is to sit and learn.  

in all the practices, Sanchez had better comp % and more TD. the fact that Sanchez has experience is why he's winning this competition. If Geno was day 1 ready awesome, he likely would have gone rd 1. I like Geno but the best thing for his career is to sit and learn.  

Sanchez also has more turnovers.  That's one thing he's supposed to be focused on NOT doing.  That's the one thing we've asked him NOT to do his entire f***ing career.  Running the ball 3 times and punting would have given us more success last season than what we got out of Sanchez.  That's the one thing Sanchez himself said a few weeks back that he needs to "just stop", yet he keeps doing it.  That's the one thing Rex pointed out in this competition.  If Sanchez keeps turning over the rock, he loses his job, period.  He hasn't said a single thing publically, positive or negative on this QB battle, OTHER than "Sanchez, cut out the f***ing turnovers." (paraphrasing)

What round Geno was drafted in is irrelevant.  It's a matter of him showing something in camp over time.  He's not Russell Wilson, but Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round, and impressed Carroll to the point where he couldn't afford NOT to start him over the expensive free agent pickup Matt Flynn.  Geno may be incapable of doing the same, but what round he was drafted in will be irrelevant to that point.

Thing of it is, while Wilson >>> Geno, Matt Flynn >>>>>> Sanchez (this comparison is the most valid to our situation, PLUS Idzik was there for that QB battle, which is why I'm using it, FWIW). 

Whether Geno is ready or not, in a fair competition, he'll end up the guy by default because Sanchez is that bad.  Deal with it.

Not according to our boy, Cimini:

" For those obsessed with stats, here you go: In the three open practices, Sanchez was 23-for-42 (55 percent) with three INTs, unofficially. Smith was 16-for-28 (57 percent) with two interceptions."

I've already made a $50 bet with my roommate that Geno will be the Week 1 starter.  I'm all in on Geno, baby.

I don't know if Rex is this smart but I think his best chance of keeping his job is waiting till after the week 10 bye to start Geno when the schedule is easier, the line/new offensive system is gelling better and Geno has a few big games. Giving fans hope. If they start him from week one I expect a rough year all around.

I don't know if Rex is this smart but I think his best chance of keeping his job is waiting till after the week 10 bye to start Geno when the schedule is easier, the line/new offensive system is gelling better and Geno has a few big games. Giving fans hope. If they start him from week one I expect a rough year all around.

No rougher than Sanchez starting the year for any period of time.  I just have a hard time seeing Rex throwing Sanchez under center Week 1 in front of the home crowd, AGAINST REVIS no doubt.  You KNOW Revis will get a pick 6 that game.  He has Sanchez's tendencies on lock and will be able to clue the entire TB defense into that.  That game will be an unmitigated disaster all around if Sanchez starts.

If our goal is to start the season with a W, Geno is the better option.  Rex is in survival mode so I have to imagine that will be important.  Maybe just start Sanchez for road games like he did at the end of last season, LOL.

There very well could be an under the table agreement with Idzik and Rex that he has a clean slate. Another defensive draft- plus a rookie QB...knows the offense will be awful again...but there's a three year window here. idk...

If that were the case Sanchez probably starts because the first month is basically meaningless anyway....the front office knows this team isnt winning the SB.

I think there's a chance Sanchez starts the beginning of the season, but we need to be realistic about the situation here.  All that's going on right now is the Jets' coaches are trying to determine over these next few months whether or not Geno is ready to be thrown into the fire.  Sanchez could potentially get the nod, but the reason why would be nothing more than the team not wanting to rush Geno into something they don't think he's quite ready for, which likely wouldn't be good for anyone.  Sanchez will still get his first team reps in the meantime as a combination of making Geno earn the job while also covering their asses in case they find themselves stuck starting Sanchez.

Nobody on this team could give a crap about giving Sanchez his "one last chance", that has already come and gone, but they simply want to make sure they don't screw things up with Geno in this process.  The best Sanchez can hope for at this point is being allowed to keep Geno's seat warm for him for a while.  The second the team believes Geno to be ready, whether that's week 1 of preseason or week 8 of the regular season, the job will be his and there's just about nothing Sanchez can do to change that short of transforming into a completely different football player in every single way.

Not according to our boy, Cimini:

" For those obsessed with stats, here you go: In the three open practices, Sanchez was 23-for-42 (55 percent) with three INTs, unofficially. Smith was 16-for-28 (57 percent) with two interceptions."

No one has the real numbers (or the full story) but it seems like Mark is getting the bulk of the reps. 

No one has the real numbers (or the full story) but it seems like Mark is getting the bulk of the reps. 

I know. If you know this too, then it's disingenuous to use unofficial statistics from OTAs to make the claim Sanchez has had better numbers during said time.

Ignoring the whole time that Mark Brunell and Greg McElroy were RIGHT THERE, ready and waiting. Then he, the leader of the franchise, refused to draft a QB after Sanchez except for McElroy and then Geno Smith. It's like wtf man? 

Oh man, plus that totally real tattoo? The evidence is just piling up. 

I...I get the feeling that last sentence MIGHT be correct. 

Ignoring the whole time that Mark Brunell and Greg McElroy were RIGHT THERE, ready and waiting. Then he, the leader of the franchise, refused to draft a QB after Sanchez except for McElroy and then Geno Smith. It's like wtf man? 

Oh man, plus that totally real tattoo? The evidence is just piling up. 

I...I get the feeling that last sentence MIGHT be correct. 

Did you skip sentence #2 Football Man? I said with no backup plan. Every indication points to Tanny being very heavily influenced by coaches. He was promoted to be Bill Belichick 2.fail's trigger man. You think he changed his philosophy and traded in his CPA for his personnel hat when Rex got here? Also where are you getting the tattoo being fake thing? you keep bringing it up claiming it's a media fabrication.

Did you skip sentence #2 Football Man? I said with no backup plan. Every indication points to Tanny being very heavily influenced by coaches. He was promoted to be Bill Belichick 2.fail's trigger man. You think he changed his philosophy and traded in his CPA for his personnel hat when Rex got here? Also where are you getting the tattoo being fake thing? you keep bringing it up claiming it's a media fabrication.

The tattoo is at worst bullsh*t, at best something that means nothing.

If Tannenbaum was so heavily influenced by the HC on who to bring in then Tebow would not be a Jet. Ryan clearly wanted nothing to do with that, and for good reason. Even if Tebow played "well", it would probably be .500 and out. He was not a long term option barring miraculous gains he obviously did not make.

The second sentence is the last sentence. I did not skip it. 

Confident enough to ink his body...Yep. Science. Wave your cane tattoos-are-permanent-and-the-NY Post-is-news man. 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/08/rex-ryan-admits-that-unusual-tattoo-of-wife-in-sanchez-jersey-is-real/

“There’s a question of, ‘Is that a real tattoo or not?’ Ryan said. “I’ll keep you guessing. But no, it’s funny, it’s actually a tattoo I’ve had going on three years now. I know what you’re thinking. Obviously if Sanchez doesn’t play better that number is changing. That’s pretty much a given.”

The tattoo is at worst bullsh*t, at best something that means nothing.

If Tannenbaum was so heavily influenced by the HC on who to bring in then Tebow would not be a Jet. Ryan clearly wanted nothing to do with that, and for good reason. Even if Tebow played "well", it would probably be .500 and out. He was not a long term option barring miraculous gains he obviously did not make.

The second sentence is the last sentence. I did not skip it.

Confident enough to ink his body...Yep. Science. Wave your cane tattoos-are-permanent-and-the-NY Post-is-news man.

There's countless news outlets who have confirmed with Rex the tattoo was real. The symbolism behind the tattoo is that even if you knew what you where talking about, for once and it was a fake it would prove Rex is an idiot. He was down on vacation to stay out of the the spotlight during the GM search and he failed. Tebow was told to put on 20 pounds by Rex and Big Tony, then they had to hide him all preseason cause they had some amazing wildcat plan. Those two scheming up a super top secret offense would have been the greatest Hard Knocks moment ever. It would have been like me playing street football drawing up a play with a stick, if I was dyslexic. If they didn't want Tebow as a backup they had Drew Stanton who would have probably been the best QB on our roster last year.

Archived