Mehta: Rex has lost his nuts

T0mShane

Idzik doesn't have to send any messages at all, and certainly doesn't need to send any thru the media. The situation is clear: Rex is at the end of his contract, and his new boss is at the beginning of his. I don't know if this was an amateur move with the NY press, but this sort of thing should never make its way into print - especially from the GM.

Idzik can say or do anything he wants with Rex behind closed doors. That's his job. But spilling it out in front of the press is bush league. I hope it was a mistake, and -more importantly- that he learned from it.

Did an entire species die because he said he's going to have say in who starts at QB? What am I missing here... you are talking about it as though it was a grave, perilous mistake that he made. 

Who cares? 

Did an entire species die because he said he's going to have say in who starts at QB? What am I missing here... you are talking about it as though it was a grave, perilous mistake that he made. 

Who cares? 

It's more the ripple effect of telling NY sports vultures that the GM will have a say who plays QB after a losing season. It's annoying because anyone with half a brain knows how those nitwits will translate the remark/statement. Omg the GM is going to have an opinion on the most important position...Jets are topsy turvy! Whoa ho ho! Someone's on the chopping block! The writers have been becoming more and more cartoonish over the past year and there is something to it that Idzik should have just not said it. There's no point beyond some IRL trolling, no sh*t the GM will have some say there. 

Yeah, IMHO, it's Idzik who's in the wrong here. Instead of Rex, he's the one who needs to shut up. If he wants to impart his opinion to Rex behind closed doors -or outright tell him who to start- that's his prerogative as the boss. But there's no need to announce that to the press - unless his goal is to sabotage his head coach, because that's what he's doing.

Yeah, IMHO, it's Idzik who's in the wrong here. Instead of Rex, he's the one who needs to shut up. If he wants to impart his opinion to Rex behind closed doors -or outright tell him who to start- that's his prerogative as the boss. But there's no need to announce that to the press - unless his goal is to sabotage his head coach, because that's what he's doing.

These little remarks and the way Idzik seems to operate has me fearful in a few ways.  We've seen other GMs do similar things and nobody can work with them or wants to. It's great if you win, it's horrible if you don't.   Who knows where all of this will go,  but the Coughlin comment is funny because it wasn't like he toned down that much or changed his personality.  And everybody wanted the guy fired.  The year they won the Super bowl people were calling for his head.   Win a super bowl and suddenly you become a genius.     

Remember Rex was considered a G-d by many the first few years here.  Imagine if the Jets did win a super bowl or even get to one.   Now he has become a shell of himself.  There are various reasons for this, but nobody really changes who they are in a sense.  When people seem to become an entirely different person, it's more like they are just cashing their check and waiting for the next opportunity.   

Let me help with the narrative here:

Rex makes the decision alone: shows how unprofessional this organization is, management should be making the decisions.

Idzik makes the decision alone: shows that Rex is a lame duck!

Marty helps make the decision: Rex isn't being a *REAL* head coach

They all make the decision together: the organization has lost faith in Rex to lead this team day to day, Rex has lost his balls, etc.

That's a copy of the memo Mehta got before doing this research.

Let me help with the narrative here:

Rex makes the decision alone: shows how unprofessional this organization is, management should be making the decisions.

Idzik makes the decision alone: shows that Rex is a lame duck!

Marty helps make the decision: Rex isn't being a *REAL* head coach

They all make the decision together: the organization has lost faith in Rex to lead this team day to day, Rex has lost his balls, etc.

That's a copy of the memo Mehta got before doing this research.

T0m writes the memo?

I'd be too busy compiling the list of hot coaching candidates.

Want some help?

1. Darrell Bevell

2. Darrell Bevell

3. Darrell Bevell

4. Darrell Bevell

5. Darrell Bevell

6. Dennis Thurman (Rooney Rule)

7. Darrell Bevell

Who cares?

Idzik undercut the head coach in front of the team, essentially. He shouldn't do that.

It's like if you're a middle manager, and your boss gets fired and replaced with some hotshot from the outside. You're talking to your team about how things are going to get done, and the new hotshot steps in and says, "actually, I'll have quite a bit to say about that." How does your team perceive you at that moment? How do you feel about your new boss? Wouldn't you prefer he bring that up to you in private, and let you manage your team in your own way? Keep those discussions between the two of you, and away from your underlings? I know I would. It's no secret that Rex is on the hot seat, there's no reason at all for Idzik to send any sort of public messages. IMO, they not only make Rex look bad, but reflect poorly on Idzik. Like Pedro said, I think people around the league notice things like that. It looks petty.

But no, no one species has become extinct, just as its no surprise that the GM will have a say in the matter. Everyone needs to get used to the media around here. Local and national. Like I said initially, I hope he learned something. He's at his best when he isn't saying anything at all, so the Idzik lovefest can project all their most hopeful expectations upon him.

Idzik undercut the head coach in front of the team, essentially. He shouldn't do that.

It's like if you're a middle manager, and your boss gets fired and replaced with some hotshot from the outside. You're talking to your team about how things are going to get done, and the new hotshot steps in and says, "actually, I'll have quite a bit to say about that." How does your team perceive you at that moment? How do you feel about your new boss? Wouldn't you prefer he bring that up to you in private, and let you manage your team in your own way? Keep those discussions between the two of you, and away from your underlings? I know I would. It's no secret that Rex is on the hot seat, there's no reason at all for Idzik to send any sort of public messages. IMO, they not only make Rex look bad, but reflect poorly on Idzik. Like Pedro said, I think people around the league notice things like that. It looks petty.

But no, no one species has become extinct, just as its no surprise that the GM will have a say in the matter. Everyone needs to get used to the media around here. Local and national. Like I said initially, I hope he learned something. He's at his best when he isn't saying anything at all, so the Idzik lovefest can project all their most hopeful expectations upon him.

You really think this was the first Rex had heard this? I don't. I'm sure Morninwheg, Idzik, and a handful of other people will have a say in the starting QB decision, to be honest... because Rex sabotaged himself for the past 2 years, to the point of being on the hot seat, by not being able to independently MAKE that QB decision on his own. Rex is defense 100%, he could probably care less who helps him decide on the QB as long as he's winning games.

I just don't see the big deal, and defaulting the issue to "he better have learned a lesson about the media" is silly. The media isn't even pushing this story any more, just a handful of people here are.

You really think this was the first Rex had heard this? I don't. I'm sure Morninwheg, Idzik, and a handful of other people will have a say in the starting QB decision, to be honest...

I hope Mornhinweg plays a major role in deciding who the QB is going to be, and I'm sure Idzik will want to have some input, too. That's to be expected.

And no, I don't think it's the first time I heard this. That's the point. You're the one who suggested that Idzik was sending Rex a message. If he sent him that message in private, there was no reason for him to send it again in public. I'm hoping he didnt think he was saying interesting, but that he also learned to keep things like that behind closed doors in the future.

I'd be more sympathetic to the whole "Idzik is undercutting Rex" POV if Rex hadn't already undercut himself the last couple years with the way he has handled (or not handled) the locker room. Plus, the guy just isn't in any position to make an unbiased call about the QB situation as long as Sanchez is one of the leading candidates.

I hope Mornhinweg plays a major role in deciding who the QB is going to be, and I'm sure Idzik will want to have some input, too. That's to be expected.

And no, I don't think it's the first time I heard this. That's the point. You're the one who suggested that Idzik was sending Rex a message. If he sent him that message in private, there was no reason for him to send it again in public. I'm hoping he didnt think he was saying interesting, but that he also learned to keep things like that behind closed doors in the future.

Yeah, but I was just saying that for the lulz... I didn't think it would trigger your "teach lessons" soap box routine. I'm completely dismayed that you are being this serious about a nothing issue. 

Bunch of bullspit over analysis.

Idzik is the boss. If Rex doesn't like what he has to say he can quit (but we know he wont do that because of the pay thingy.)

If he gets into a public back and forth with Idzik he poisons his future marketabilty. 

He's a dead man walking...........with a nice paycheck in the interim.

Archived