Looks like it will be Powell if Ivory can't stay healthy

Cmartin

Over the first week of training camp there’s been an increasing concern about Chris Ivory and his ability to get onto the field with the rest of the team. After some work on Monday with the team, Ivory returned to the field shortly yesterday but didn’t stay on the field all that much. According to the Star-Ledger, his leg tightened up soon after starting up individual drills. As a precautionary measure, the team’s training staff put Ivory back on conditioning regimen and it seems right now there’s no clear cut answer when he’ll be ready. “The hamstring is tricky,” Ivory told Matt Fensom of the Star-Ledger. “It can feel good, you can go out there like I did today. I thought I was ready but I’m not ready. I don’t want to push it and make it a two-week injury. When it’s fixed I’m able to stay out there and not injure it.” Ivory seems to be frustrated with his inability to stay on the field, telling reporters that ”I kind of feel like I’m starting off on the wrong foot.” Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com Ryan didn’t answer any questions on Ivory yesterday, but we expect he will have some today, so we’ll see what the coach says on the matter soon enough. There’s still more than a month until the start of the NFL season, but it is slightly worrisome that Ivory is having a hard time staying healthy at the outset of training camp. This becomes even more problematic considering the Jets will need to prepare as if Mike Goodson won’t be available to them at any point. One of the concerns about trading for Ivory was health. While he was a healthy scratch in games last season, he’s had trouble with injuries over his career and as Ivory says himself, he’s not starting off on the right foot so far in New York. ESPN NY’s Rich Cimini wrote yesterday that “[p]rivately, the staff is hoping that Ivory … can be a 15-carry-a-game runner.” It’s not something Ivory has ever done over a 16 game season, so something we’ll have to monitor on a game-by-game basis. Having dynamic players like Goodson or Ivory would be great pluses to this offense, but I still contend that Bilal Powell is a solid running back and if he needs to pick up more of a workload than expected because of the team’s backfield problems it’s not the worst thing in the world. It might not be saying a lot, but I firmly believe that Powell was a better back than Greene was in 2012, so even inserting Powell, the team is likely to receive a little lift if we use last year as a baseline

I'm not counting on Ivory one bit.  He cant stay healthy and he's never been the main guy.  Plus, what he did with New Orleans was impressive in his limited attempts but the Jets dont exactly have Drew Brees pushing those safeties out the box and keeping LB'ers on their heels. 

Powell has already proved he can carry the load when necessary and find holes on an offense who has zero threat of throwing the Football.  I've got more faith in Powell than I do any other RB on this team.  

I'm not counting on Ivory one bit.  He cant stay healthy and he's never been the main guy.  Plus, what he did with New Orleans was impressive in his limited attempts but the Jets dont exactly have Drew Brees pushing those safeties out the box and keeping LB'ers on their heels. 

Powell has already proved he can carry the load when necessary and find holes on an offense who has zero threat of throwing the Football.  I've got more faith in Powell than I do any other RB on this team.  

Powell is a nice backup but IF Ivory stays healthy he's the 2nd most talented back (behind LT) that we've had on this roster in nearly a decade (as sad as that is).  Powell doesn't have that kind of ceiling. 

It's concerning, because between Ivory and Goodson, Idzik obviously felt that the RB position needed an infusion - and now it's just a $3M hole that also happened to cost them a fourth round draft pick. Not a great start.

It's concerning, because between Ivory and Goodson, Idzik obviously felt that the RB position needed an infusion - and now it's just a $3M hole that also happened to cost them a fourth round draft pick. Not a great start.

I think its too early to write either Ivory or Goodson off yet.  There's kind of a RB shortage league-wide right now.  We can't give up on a couple of talented runners 5 days into camp.

I think its too early to write either Ivory or Goodson off yet.  There's kind of a RB shortage league-wide right now.  We can't give up on a couple of talented runners 5 days into camp.

Goodson may end up retiring for all we know. I don't think you can even include him in the mix at this point.

Powell is a nice backup but IF Ivory stays healthy he's the 2nd most talented back (behind LT) that we've had on this roster in nearly a decade (as sad as that is).  Powell doesn't have that kind of ceiling. 

I'd like to see Ivory is some real action before I jump to that conclusion.  The NFL is filled with RB's who have fill in moments once a RB goes down and get a chance with another team and doing nothing (see Lamont Jordaon for nice easy relevant example).  But sure, he seems to have immense talent.  But immense talent doesnt mean sh*t if you cant stay on the field.  Powell might not have his ceiling but I dont think we've seen near what he's capable of and he's a solid all around back that I dont see letting you down to often.

I still think trading a pick for a career back up with an injury history is ******* stupid, I would have rather them draft a rookie but whatevs.  Whats done is done...but I'm not expecting anything out of Ivory or Goodson.  If it happens, great, but my expectations are extremely low for both.

Really?

Huh?  RB's are a dime a dozen.  Its the easiest plug and play position in the NFL.  Every team in the league has at least 3 on their roster who could start at any given time.

Both players are career back ups with injury history's...nobody has given up, but I think expecting either of them to be some beastly work horse is borderline unreasonable. 

Huh?  RB's are a dime a dozen.  Its the easiest plug and play position in the NFL.  Every team in the league has at least 3 on their roster who could start at any given time.

Both players are career back ups with injury history's...nobody has given up, but I think expecting either of them to be some beastly work horse is borderline unreasonable. 

Sure there's a lot of guys who can start by default, but are there a ton of dynamic runners out there, particularly ones you can get for a 4th rounder?  Once you get past the usual suspects like AP, Rice, Charles, Forte, Spiller, Martin, Foster, MJD, McCoy (many of which were drafted in the 1st round) it gets ugly fast.  And we're not the only team who has to constantly worry about the health of our penciled-in starter.  See DMC and DeMarco Murray.  Meanwhile, who are the Rams replacing Steven Jackson with?  How much longer will Frank Gore produce at a high level? 

I suppose we'll see what this year's rookie crop does before judging how thin RB is league-wide, but there's a lot of guys I'd prefer Ivory over on potential alone.  No one is scared of the Rashard Mendenhall's, Benjarvus Green-Ellis's and Ronnie Hillman's of the league.  Just from a minimal sample size of Ivory, he's a scary runner.  That's what we've needed on this team for a long time, not just a guy who takes what the O-line gives him such as the likes of Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene and yes, Bilal. 

Workhorse RB's are awesome to have but I want a guy with a high ceiling on the team, even if he has a high injury risk.  You can get Bilal's anywhere, as you yourself stated.  Its always been "plug and play" for us, NEVER "wow, that guy is special."

Sure there's a lot of guys who can start by default, but are there a ton of dynamic runners out there, particularly ones you can get for a 4th rounder?  Once you get past the usual suspects like AP, Rice, Charles, Forte, Spiller, Martin, Foster, MJD, McCoy (many of which were drafted in the 1st round) it gets ugly fast.  And we're not the only team who has to constantly worry about the health of our penciled-in starter.  See DMC and DeMarco Murray.  Meanwhile, who are the Rams replacing Steven Jackson with?  How much longer will Frank Gore produce at a high level? 

I suppose we'll see what this year's rookie crop does before judging how thin RB is league-wide, but there's a lot of guys I'd prefer Ivory over on potential alone.  No one is scared of the Rashard Mendenhall's, Benjarvus Green-Ellis's and Ronnie Hillman's of the league.  Just from a minimal sample size of Ivory, he's a scary runner.  That's what we've needed on this team for a long time, not just a guy who takes what the O-line gives him such as the likes of Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene and yes, Bilal. 

Workhorse RB's are awesome to have but I want a guy with a high ceiling on the team, even if he has a high injury risk.  You can get Bilal's anywhere, as you yourself stated.  Its always been "plug and play" for us, NEVER "wow, that guy is special."

I think putting Ivory in the "wow, that guy is special" is ridiculously premature.  

Lol. Maybe some people on here will believe you .

LOL like he did honey.  

I agree.  But if Goodson won't be back, and Ivory can't stay healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets sign a camp cut.  I can't imagine their going into the season with Powell as the starter and Griffin and McKnight as backups, and not being able to count on Ivory to stay healthy, particularly with the big questions at TE and WR.

I think that you perhaps overstate this just a mite, but basically agree.  It IS the easiest position for a rookie to step in, start and play well, and there are a lot of RBs who can play pretty well.  I think that saying, "Every team in the league has at least 3 on their roster who could start at any given time." is a gross exaggeration.  Yeah, they may have three that could start in a pinch, but probably wouldn't contribute much and you wouldn't want to count on them for a long stretch. 

I still think trading a pick for a career back up with an injury history is ******* stupid, I would have rather them draft a rookie but whatevs.  Whats done is done...but I'm not expecting anything out of Ivory or Goodson.  If it happens, great, but my expectations are extremely low for both.

Again, I think calling it stupid is over the top.  Risky?  Yes, definitely, but I can understand why he did it.  With a rookie QB possibly starting, would you really want a rookie RB too?  Ivory's ceiling is very high and his ypc was very good.  With Ivory, Goodson and Powell, Idzik probably wasn't thinking of a workhorse RB any way, but rather RB by committee as each has different skills they can bring to the table.  It was also great for competition.  What has created the problem is Goodson and his legal troubles.  Perhaps they could have forseen that, but perhaps not.  I can't kill Idzik for those signings.  If one or both worked they'd have added a speedy playmaker to the offense, a real homerun threat, something the Jets haven't had in a while.  Ivory still might, and so might Goodson.  We'll just have to see how things play out.  If Goodson doesn't ever return, I think the Jets could very well sign a camp cut rather than going with Griffin or the new kid they just brought in.   McKnight will probably make the team because of his STs play.

I agree.  But if Goodson won't be back, and Ivory can't stay healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets sign a camp cut.  I can't imagine their going into the season with Powell as the starter and Griffin and McKnight as backups, and not being able to count on Ivory to stay healthy, particularly with the big questions at TE and WR.

Michael Turner?  At least we know he'd protect Geno.

All Ivory has to do is more than Leon Washington. Both 4th rounders to us... I'm certain Ivory can do that.

That said, Powell is fine. He's pedestrian, but good 'nuff to help us get Clowney.

there's a lot we can't possibly Imagine when it comes to this offense, yet somehow, we always seem to pull off the worst case scenario. Just think about the last 4 years the only time we had any semblance of an offense was in year 2 as Braylon and Holmes seemed to start clicking with Sanchez late in the season and especially in the playoffs what did the Jets do ? Well.... I think you know

there's a lot we can't possibly Imagine when it comes to this offense, yet somehow, we always seem to pull off the worst case scenario. Just think about the last 4 years the only time we had any semblance of an offense was in year 2 as Braylon and Holmes seemed to start clicking with Sanchez late in the season and especially in the playoffs what did the Jets do ? Well.... I think you know

Of course you're right, BUT...that was with Tanny in charge, NOT Idzik.  Hopefully, things will be much better and different with Idzik.  That said, we don't really know what Idzik's expectations are for this season.  He might have written off this season as a rebuilding year and prefer to just go with younger players and the ultra cheap vets.  He may be saving cap space for next season.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Makes sense. It's a passing league and the value of the running back has decreased.  Nobody drafted one early this year.  Awhile ago like 3 went in the first five picks.  Never see that a again.

Goodson is not on trial now, is he?

Why isn't he in the Jets training camp-do lawyers run their own training camp to prepare clients for trial?

There is a rumor that he's in some Rehab program for like a month.   Good for his case in the long run.  What that means for the jets, who knows.    

As far as Ivory,  I don't get it.  People never pay attention to the realities of a situation. The guy has never really played in college or the pros due to injury.  So that fact he's not healthy now is a surprise?    It's no different than Garrard.     When you bring on guys who don't play due to injury, it's not just a small risk, it's closer to being a bad move.  If Ivory can't stay healthy and Goodson is MIA for a long time,  Idzicks offseason moves look terrible.

...When you bring on guys who don't play due to injury, it's not just a small risk, it's closer to being a bad move.  If Ivory can't stay healthy and Goodson is MIA for a long time,  Idzicks offseason moves look terrible.

Uh-oh.  Do you know what you just did?

You just wrote the first post in Jets history that says Idzik might not be a great acquisition or a breath of fresh air.

There is a rumor that he's in some Rehab program for like a month.   Good for his case in the long run.  What that means for the jets, who knows.    

As far as Ivory,  I don't get it.  People never pay attention to the realities of a situation. The guy has never really played in college or the pros due to injury.  So that fact he's not healthy now is a surprise?    It's no different than Garrard.     When you bring on guys who don't play due to injury, it's not just a small risk, it's closer to being a bad move.  If Ivory can't stay healthy and Goodson is MIA for a long time,  Idzicks offseason moves look terrible.

What was he supposed to do?  The roster was so full of holes it resembled swiss cheese and had little depth.  He had no cap space to work with.  He wanted to draft BAP in the draft because that was the smart way to go.  Therefore, he needed to try to address as many holes as he could with cheap vet FAs so he wasn't forced to draft from need.  Vet FAs aren't cheap unless they suck, have had serious legal troubles, have an injury history or all of the above.

Of course any time you sign a player with an injury history, it's risky, but every year players are drafted who were injured  several times in college, and they stay healthy in the NFL. Conversely players who were never injured in college, suffer serious injuries in the NFL, some of whom have a hard time staying healthy in the NFL.  There are also vets who have had injury problems who get healthy, go to another team and stay healthy.  It's a violent game.

What moves would you have made that you think would have been better than Idzik's?

All Ivory has to do is more than Leon Washington. Both 4th rounders to us... I'm certain Ivory can do that.

That said, Powell is fine. He's pedestrian, but good 'nuff to help us get Clowney.

It's not the same, because Leon didn't sign a $6M contract when we spent a fourth rounder on him. And Leon did a lot, returning kicks and punts as well as rushing and receiving. In fact, Leon rushed for more yards in his first three years with the Jets than Ivory has so far in his three year career.

If Ivory only produces at Washington levels, he'll be cut before his third year (along with his $2M salary), whereas with Leon, the Jets enjoyed his services cheaply for four years before trading him for a fifth round pick.

It's not the same, it's completely different. That's why I hated Tanny trading picks for players. If Ivory can't be "the guy," this was a bad trade. So far, he can't even get out on the field.

Archived