Article from JetsBlog on the QB's. They choose Sanchez

eboozer

http://thejetsblog.com/opinion/case-of-the-mondays-hard-choices-lie-ahead-for-the-jets/#more-75203

Case of the Mondays: Hard choices lie ahead for the Jets August 12th, 2013 10:10 am

Got a Case of the Mondays? Fear not! Starting today, writer and podcast co-host Corey Griffin is kicking off his season-long Monday morning column for the 2013 season.  Corey’s family are season ticketholders for more than 20 years and Corey has worked as an editor for ESPN New York.  In his first offering, Corey discusses the decision the Jets should make at the Jets quarterback spot. Agree or disagree, but Corey wants this Monday morning column be a starting point for further discussion in the comments below!

Corey Griffin, TheJetsBlog.com

If there’s one thing I hope to create with this space, it’s a conversation. You might not always agree with me and I know I won’t always agree with you, but I can promise you I will always tell you how I feel. There will be no hiding, no opinions because they’re popular or because they satiate the vocal minority.

I will always be honest and honestly, the Jets’ best quarterback and best chance for a successful season is Mark Sanchez.

If you’re still reading, then trust me when I say I did not come to this lightly. Nor did I come to this decision after watching six series of Sanchez and Geno Smith against a fairly average Lions defense Friday night. No, this is an opinion weeks — months — in the making.

It’s not hard to find my thoughts on the drafting of Geno. One only has to go back to the post-draft podcast to hear them. He was a value pick and perhaps a necessity given Sanchez’s mental state at the close of the 2012 season. At no point though did I think he was ready to start this year. Not in rookie minicamp. Not in OTAs. Not even after seeing him live and in person for the first time in Cortland.

I firmly believe Geno is a project. I think he needs time to adjust to NFL speed, to work on lining up under center and — most importantly — I think there’s a quarterback on the roster that offers the Jets a better chance to win right now.Yes, that man is Mark Sanchez, and yes, I saw him gift-wrap an interception that was so familiar. But, I also saw something that I haven’t seen in almost 24 months. I saw a quarterback with actual confidence – the real, so obvious you can reach out through your TV and touch it confidence. Sanchez has been confident all camp, and really, all offseason, but you don’t really believe in these things until you see him have to face

in-game
adversity. Was it self-created? Absolutely. It was an awful play and the almost-INT Kellen Winslow broke up the next series wasn’t much better.

But that confidence was palpable. Two poor plays that could have essentially ended Sanchez’s tenure as the Jets’ starting quarterback, and he came right back on the Jets’ third offensive series and marched them into the end zone like it was Sunday, January 16, 2010 all over again. It didn’t matter if Sanchez was facing the Lions’ defense or the 49ers, because it wasn’t the physical talent I needed to see. It was the mental toughness, the ability to turn that bad play into a motivator rather than let it deflate his fragile balloon.

Geno has all the natural talents you want. He spins it as well as any Jets quarterback I’ve seen. He’s athletic and a hard worker and all of those post-draft character concerns don’t seem to be an issue at this point. But he’s not where Sanchez is mentally and he doesn’t get the playbook the way No. 6 does. He can’t and he shouldn’t. He’s a rookie and rare is the case of the non-sure-thing rookie QB that is able to digest an NFL offense in a few short months and be successful.Successful. That’s the key here. What is successful for Geno? Success is progress. Success is going from reading one side of the field to two-thirds to the entire thing. Success is being able to drop from under center, hit your mark and rip the ball out to where it needs to be without staring down his target from the moment his hands touch Nick Mangold’s thunderous haunches. Geno may very well get there by Week 12 — or maybe even Week 8 — if he’s further along than I think he is. Except this Jets team shouldn’t have to wait until the season is half over for their quarterback to be able to execute, not when they have two things the Jets haven’t possessed since 2010.

Clyde Gates and Stephen Hill have taken clear steps forward thus far. Their route running and their hands are vastly improved. Jeremy Kerley continues to be the most reliable wideout the Jets have had since Jerricho Cotchery was in uniform.

Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes? They’re somewhat veteran insurance, the former much more so than the latter. Jeff Cumberland is slimmer, faster and looks like a different player at times (jersey switch aside). Winslow, if healthy, is a solid companion at tight end. Although neither Winslow nor Cumberland will likely never meet a run block they like, they’re at least viable threats in the passing game, which suddenly appears to have purpose and life under Mornhinweg.

Does Geno throw a better deep ball than Sanchez? You bet he does. Does he throw screen passes with more efficiency and accuracy? Damn right. But my problem isn’t a problem with Geno, it’s a problem with wasting the talent the Jets suddenly have on the field and on the sideline. Sanchez knows how to win. Like it or not, we’ve seen this. He knows how to pick apart an NFL defense. We’ve seen that. The problem with Sanchez has always been the mistakes, with which he is intimately familiar.

The Jets have weapons and they have an offensive coordinator who can maximize those players’ abilities. Marty Mornhinweg can scheme receivers, running backs and tight ends open, which Tony Sparano surely couldn’t do and Brian Schottenheimer … well, let’s just say Schotty couldn’t see the forest from the trees.

The difference for Sanchez is not avoiding the mistakes. I don’t know if he’ll ever be able to do that, but I did see a quarterback Friday night who figured out how to live with those mistakes and overcome them. I saw a quarterback who looked much closer to the 2010 version than the 2012 model and that 2010 Sanchez was pretty damn good when it mattered. I don’t have to read off the wins or the plays to you. Everyone reading this column knows about New England and Indy and the four-game, OT-filled winning streak in the middle of the season.

The problem I have is people seem to have forgotten that quarterback still plays for the Jets. Sanchez is only in his fifth year. Quarterbacks with far more damage to their psyche in situations just as dire have been fixed or even elevated by a new OC and new QBs coach. Why can’t we see it with Sanchez this season?

Maybe we’ll always have to take a dose of Bad Sanchez on the side. It might be unavoidable, like when you had to clean your dinner plate, veggies and all, before you could have dessert or watch TV. But isn’t it all worth it to have a functioning offense that isn’t limited and can exploit opposing defenses right off the bat? You can’t tell me Geno is the man, right now, to run that offense. He can run an offense, but not one that will be successful enough to compete for a playoff spot.

It’s only been three series in one preseason game, but the Mark Sanchez I saw Friday night can help this team win more football games than Geno Smith. That’s gotta be enough.

The only way Mark Sanchez wins back this Fan Base is a winning season with less than 15 Turnovers and NO games lost due to a boneheaded pick six at the worst possible time. I'm not sure he can pull that off and Im sure most of the fan base feels the same way. The INT's to defensive lineman on dump off passes are mind boggling. if you don't have the god damn lane to throw that pass then THROW IT THE HELL OUT OF BOUNDS. Why he refuses to throw the ball away when nothing is there is also mind boggling.  

He should. and will win the QB job this training camp simply because he will probably transition to the new offense better than Geno. If Sanchez does not pull off any of the above mentioned scenarios Geno will get his chance Mid Season no doubt in my mind and Sanchez will be looking for a new gig next season. 

I wanted them to draft a late round QB (Wilson) but oh well they never listen to me.  I don't think Geno is the answer to me he looks like a complete head case.  but saw an interesting take Sanchez Interception on a blog.

http://thegametape.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/whos-behind-the-broken-screen/

I'm just curious, outside of the pre- and post-draft reports, which actions as a jet has made you think he's a head-case?  All I've seen is someone who approaches everything in a very business-like manner, who answers questions articulately and accurately, while seemingly works quite hard in both practice and games.  Now if he loses the starting competition, maybe we'll see some of these head-case attributes pop up, but thus far, he's been pretty much anything but what you'd want from a rookie QB.

saw an interesting take Sanchez Interception on a blog.

Interesting take, as you put it, but you can't absolve Sanchez for throwing into a passing lane that isn't there.  The only time you can TRULY absolve a passer for picks is (a) if he hits his man and it pops off his hands into the air of a waiting defender, or (b ) if it's a timed pattern and the receiver simply runs the wrong (or a very poor) route.

If Sanchez was the least-bit elusive, he could buy time and get out of it.  If he was accurate enough, he could throw it away (but not TOO far away to avoid a grounding call.  Or, option 3 is (as the article states) that he could just eat it and take the sack (which often leads to a turnover with Sanchez anyway).

The author starts out by saying he has no agenda, but while he can point to the tackles the fact remains that the tackles didn't throw it to a defensive lineman in a panic-attack.  Weak.

I wanted them to draft a late round QB (Wilson) but oh well they never listen to me.  I don't think Geno is the answer to me he looks like a complete head case.  but saw an interesting take Sanchez Interception on a blog.

Read the article, and it's a very well written version of, "OTHER THINGS WENT WRONG SO IT'S NOT REALLY SANCHEZ'S FAULT THAT HE THREW IT TO A DEFENSIVE LINEMAN".  The Jets lost the battle at the LOS that play, yes.  But Sanchez threw the ball where it should have gone had everything gone perfectly.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  The QB's job is to react to that and not make the worst possible play in that situation.  The author also talks about Sanchez taking a sack there at "possibly the better outcome", as if the difference was minimal.  Had Ansah not been there, the ball would have fallen to the ground.  Sanchez knew where he was going before the snap, and he didn't let anything that happened in between the snap and the moment he threw change that.  That's always been one of his biggest problems, and after 4 years, obviously nothing has changed.

Read the article, and it's a very well written version of, "OTHER THINGS WENT WRONG SO IT'S NOT REALLY SANCHEZ'S FAULT THAT HE THREW IT TO A DEFENSIVE LINEMAN".  The Jets lost the battle at the LOS that play, yes.  But Sanchez threw the ball where it should have gone had everything gone perfectly.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  The QB's job is to react to that and not make the worst possible play in that situation.  The author also talks about Sanchez taking a sack there at "possibly the better outcome", as if the difference was minimal.  Had Ansah not been there, the ball would have fallen to the ground.  Sanchez knew where he was going before the snap, and he didn't let anything that happened in between the snap and the moment he threw change that.  That's always been one of his biggest problems, and after 4 years, obviously nothing has changed.

jinx

I don't like either of our options at QB.

With that said - I think there is plenty of blame to go around here.  I didn't even know Howard was burned so bad on that play and i watched it a few times but I too was just look at the FB and Sanchez and saying what a dope.

I think Geno is head case. My opinion from everything I have read and seem on him and the jets and believe me I waste far too much time on reading jet news.

Of the 2 I think Sanchez is better and I just hope they run the ball a lot.

I wanted them to draft a late round QB (Wilson) but oh well they never listen to me. I don't think Geno is the answer to me he looks like a complete head case. but saw an interesting take Sanchez Interception on a blog.

Tyler Wilson is probably going to get cut from the raiders, so you may yet get your chance.

Dislike.  He is blaming the backside T for this? Everything is Austin Howard's fault? Give me a break.  The play should have been done and Howard looked to be pulling out to block downfield.  What ******* good is throwing a screen pass if the linemen have to hold their blocks for a ******* ten count?  Ferguson deserves some blame for not laying into Ansah, but c'mon.  The ball was thrown to nobody. In the SF game the rush is straight in the QBs face and he feeds it to the lineman.  Are we supposed to be impressed that the guy couldn't catch it and merely tipped it for Willis to gobble up?  

By far the funniest part:  

Oh, as far as subtweets go, anyone who thinks I'm blaming Brick & Howard for the INT hasn't read the article. Just pointing out their role. 

We think that because that is exactly what he is saying.  He's not even using innuendo.   He outright says it, tweets that saying it's the fault of Sanchez amounts to a witch hunt.  Ha. 

Dislike.  He is blaming the backside T for this? Everything is Austin Howard's fault? Give me a break.  The play should have been done and Howard looked to be pulling out to block downfield.  What ******* good is throwing a screen pass if the linemen have to hold their blocks for a ******* ten count?  Ferguson deserves some blame for not laying into Ansah, but c'mon.  The ball was thrown to nobody. In the SF game the rush is straight in the QBs face and he feeds it to the lineman.  Are we supposed to be impressed that the guy couldn't catch it and merely tipped it for Willis to gobble up?  

By far the funniest part:  

We think that because that is exactly what he is saying.  He's not even using innuendo.   He outright says it, tweets that saying it's the fault of Sanchez amounts to a witch hunt.  Ha. 

lol u are way too kind for Howard sake.

Does Geno throw a better deep ball than Sanchez? You bet he does. Does he throw screen passes with more efficiency and accuracy? Damn right. But my problem isn’t a problem with Geno, it’s a problem with wasting the talent the Jets suddenly have on the field and on the sideline. Sanchez knows how to win. Like it or not, we’ve seen this. He knows how to pick apart an NFL defense. We’ve seen that. The problem with Sanchez has always been the mistakes, with which he is intimately familiar.

What talent ?

The problem I have is people seem to have forgotten that quarterback still plays for the Jets. Sanchez is only in his fifth year. Quarterbacks with far more damage to their psyche in situations just as dire have been fixed or even elevated by a new OC and new QBs coach. Why can’t we see it with Sanchez this season?

Maybe I am getting old but the only person I can think of that had that much damage to his psyche and came back to be a really nice QB was Plunkett. 

Buy his jersey now, he's going to be a star. I can't even imagine how many all-timers were cut material from the worst team in the league after two weeks of training camp, the list is too long.

I will go one better and have his name tatoo on my shlong shaft and make my wife read it each time it goes in and out.

What talent ?

Maybe I am getting old but the only person I can think of that had that much damage to his psyche and came back to be a really nice QB was Plunkett. 

Simms wasn't exactly mentally tough coming out and he seemed beaten, broken and benched in his early career. 

I will go one better and have his name tatoo on my shlong shaft and make my wife read it each time it goes in and out.

ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson calls Raiders QB Tyler Wilson the "most disappointing rookie" in the division.
Per Williamson, it appears Wilson is "falling further behind the Raiders' quarterback pack every day." Wilson fell behind UDFA Matt McGloin earlier this month, and has struggled mightily with the mental side of the game. Wilson was 3-of-6 for 28 yards in last week's preseason opener. At least so far, the Raiders have perhaps the weakest draft class in the league. That's a major problem, as they easily have the least impressive collection of veterans. Aug 14 - 1:45 PM

Yeah.

Gotta say this is an idiotic take fueled by a dislike of Geno. In no way does Sanchez give us the best chance to win. McElroy gives us a better chance to win if he can get some protection. Several QBs on their couch give us a better chance to win. I did not see a confident Sanchez, I saw the same useless DLine int throwing bottom of the barrel QB he has been for the last few years. Starting Sanchez is a devastatingly bad decision.

Archived