the GM shouldn't undercut the HC on QB

bitonti

Simple question, after Rex is gone, what kind of coach is gonna want to work for a GM who publicly undercuts his ability to pick a quarterback?

Every team in the league picks their QB before preseason week 3. WE as Jets fans just saw what happens when you don't. This competition has been a farce. Geno lost it and they gave him a super special extra chance to win it, and he choked. How does this look to anyone who would want to take this job.  

note this thread isn't about Idzik's absolutely garbage free agent signings (too many to list), or how he traded the team's best player (understandable but still troublesome to a new head coach). 

The hopeful answer is that the next head coach will be Bill Walsh part II and Idzik won't have to interfere cause he will trust him more than Rex. 

BUt seriously, what kind of precedent is this? That the GM says to the media, I'm gonna pick the QB, not the HC. and then he cocks it up this bad?  Who would want this job? 

all of this mess could have been avoided if the football coaches were allowed to make football decisions on a normal time line. there's a reason why everyone does it a certain way. And the reason is that if the rookie didn't win it by game three, he's not ready to win it.  there's also a reason why GM and HC are different full time positions. 

How about the time honored precedent of letting a new GM pick his coach?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you ever stop for a moment and consider that they were going to name a QB after the week 3 game, but Mark's injury muddled that opportunity for them? Maybe? Just maybe?

Unreal.

I can admit that. But It shouldn't be "they" making the decision it should be the head coach. What kind of HC wants to work for a GM who takes decisions away from the HC and makes them "we" decisions? 

If this is all Rex than I stand corrected and he should be fired.

I don't believe that Rex, or any professional head coach, would want a preseason QB competition to go on this long. this is unusual, would you admit that much ? 

Frankly, I think the injuries to both players f'ed everything up royally.  If both guys are healthy, it still might have lasted until the Giants game, but that would've been it.  Geno missing a game that he was clearly intended to start put them behind and Sanchez's subsequent injury made it an even bigger mess.  Just assume for a second (whether it's true or not) that Idzik has absolutely no involvement in this decision whatsoever, what exactly would you expect Rex to do at this point without knowing Sanchez's potential status for Tampa?  Would you feel better if he just crowned Geno the starter by default in order to have it done earlier?

you've proven that it's got precedent but you've also proven that GM's interfering with HC's on lineup decisions is a bad idea. Thanks.  

No, it was a good idea.  Eli got his feet wet earlier and they have 2 superbowl rings to show that was the correct move.

It was a bad idea for that season, but they weren't winning a SB with Warner in '04.  That's a decision a GM can make but a HC can't.

It was in the franchise's best interest long-term.  It was not in Coughlin's best interest in the short term (or necessarily in his best interest in the long term as he could have been fired prior to getting a ring).

Simple question, after Rex is gone, what kind of coach is gonna want to work for a GM who publicly undercuts his ability to pick a quarterback?

Every team in the league picks their QB before preseason week 3. WE as Jets fans just saw what happens when you don't. This competition has been a farce. Geno lost it and they gave him a super special extra chance to win it, and he choked. How does this look to anyone who would want to take this job.  

note this thread isn't about Idzik's absolutely garbage free agent signings (too many to list), or how he traded the team's best player (understandable but still troublesome to a new head coach). 

The hopeful answer is that the next head coach will be Bill Walsh part II and Idzik won't have to interfere cause he will trust him more than Rex. 

BUt seriously, what kind of precedent is this? That the GM says to the media, I'm gonna pick the QB, not the HC. and then he cocks it up this bad?  Who would want this job? 

all of this mess could have been avoided if the football coaches were allowed to make football decisions on a normal time line. there's a reason why everyone does it a certain way. And the reason is that if the rookie didn't win it by game three, he's not ready to win it.  there's also a reason why GM and HC are different full time positions. 

Well the simple answer would be its fine for the GM to undercut the HC regarding QB decisions when the GM has inherited a mouth breathing dunce of a HC who wouldnt know what a quality NFL QB should look like even if Vince Lombardi rose from his grave to tell him how bad Sanchez is.

Job applicant for NYJ HC:  Gee John, I noticed you kinda publicly neutered Rex Ryan when it came to making QB decisions. Not sure if I can sign up for that type HC job.

Idzik: Oh no dont worry about that. I inherited that clown and now would like to hire a real HC who is capable of evaluating talent and making those type decisions.without my help. Guy still thought Sanchez was a good quarterback. Can ya believe that?

Is there an announcement planned for today? or tomorrow? ladies and gentlemen, the world's longest and worst QB competition. and Jets fans think it's great. 

If by "think it's great" you mean not panicking at our own spin that is in no way rooted in reality, then... yes, I suppose. 

Frankly, I think the injuries to both players f'ed everything up royally.  If both guys are healthy, it still might have lasted until the Giants game, but that would've been it.  Geno missing a game that he was clearly intended to start put them behind and Sanchez's subsequent injury made it an even bigger mess.  Just assume for a second (whether it's true or not) that Idzik has absolutely no involvement in this decision whatsoever, what exactly would you expect Rex to do at this point without knowing Sanchez's potential status for Tampa?  Would you feel better if he just crowned Geno the starter by default in order to have it done earlier?

I also agree the injuries played a huge role in this competition. But injuries happen they should not have waited until Geno was healthy and game the competition. They declare Mark the starter cause he earned it. Not talking about the buttfumble, this year 2013 Mark has been consistently better. 

as for right now, it's such a mess right now. I'd declare Mark the starter and Geno plays due to injury. If/when Mark gets better, he gets his job back. (Unless he gets Wally Pipped in which case, it's a nice problem to have). But based on the OTA, camp, and the first two games, Mark deserves it. 

No, it was a good idea.  Eli got his feet wet earlier and they have 2 superbowl rings to show that was the correct move.

It was a bad idea for that season, but they weren't winning a SB with Warner in '04.  That's a decision a GM can make but a HC can't.

It was in the franchise's best interest long-term.  It was not in Coughlin's best interest in the short term (or necessarily in his best interest in the long term as he could have been fired prior to getting a ring).

if only Geno was Eli... 

If this is all Rex than I stand corrected and he should be fired.

C'mon Bit this isn't like you to give up so easily.  You had me convinced.  I was just about to break out the "Idiotzik" handle.

Edit:  Pretty annoying  when someone only puts up a partial quote isn't it?

Honestly, the farce of this is on Woodrow.  Idzik comes in here wanting to run a buttoned down organization and shoo away the media clowns who spend their time stirring up feeding frenzies after Jets press conferences, and what does Woody do?  He saddles John with a guy who knows some defense but is a completely unstable public persona who is unable to fence successfully with these press goons.  So the circus will continue for at least one more year.  

I also agree the injuries played a huge role in this competition. But injuries happen they should not have waited until Geno was healthy and game the competition. They declare Mark the starter cause he earned it. Not talking about the buttfumble, this year 2013 Mark has been consistently better. 

as for right now, it's such a mess right now. I'd declare Mark the starter and Geno plays due to injury. If/when Mark gets better, he gets his job back. (Unless he gets Wally Pipped in which case, it's a nice problem to have). But based on the OTA, camp, and the first two games, Mark deserves it. 

Well I guess this is where the problem begins, because I completely disagree on Sanchez.  I personally think he's earned absolutely nothing.  He was pretty bad in both of the Jets first two preseason games, which is likely a big part of the reason the Jets were so willing to give Geno every chance to beat him out.  Despite playing some pretty crappy defenses (I mean come on, Detroit and Jacksonville... really?), Sanchez looked like the same Sanchez we've seen the first four years of his careers, highlighted by yet another pick 6 to a DL one week and then a red zone pick the next (combined with plenty of other bad plays).

If anything, Mark would get the job simply because Geno out-sucked him, not because of anything positive he did.  Maybe that's ultimately the right decision, but if that's the reason, I see no particular reason the Jets would or should be in a rush to make that decision.  It's obviously impossible to know for sure, but I have to imagine if Sanchez was really lighting things up throughout camp and preseason, the Jets would have been much less inclined to handle things the way they did, but that clearly didn't happen.

I think there's a good chance Rex will be done soon, but I'm guessing they let him ride out the season, barring any sort of complete meltdown that simply drives the team to the point of wanting Rex out of the building (which means above and beyond anything we've seen from Rex previously).  Whatever version of the story you want to believe, in the end Idzik still has Rex here for his first year on the job, and that whole decision would seem even more odd if the guy isn't getting at least a full year.

Besides, I doubt Mornhinweg would be considered a viable candidate as the Jets next full-time HC, so why even bother?  If anything, the Jets might actually be interested in trying to retain him as their OC, which would be more likely possible if he was simply keeping that position rather than being promoted and subsequently demoted.

Morniwhegs the only guy on the team that's been a HC before. He knows offense. He knows you have to pass to win football games now.

The Rex Giants presser...was the beginning of the end imo. And the ends coming faster than we think. You dont pull a Denny Green on national TV, become a SC blooper loop and keep your job. Unless of course your Mark Sanchez. But those two guys are tied at the hip anyways.

Honestly, the farce of this is on Woodrow.  Idzik comes in here wanting to run a buttoned down organization and shoo away the media clowns who spend their time stirring up feeding frenzies after Jets press conferences, and what does Woody do?  He saddles John with a guy who knows some defense but is a completely unstable public persona who is unable to fence successfully with these press goons.  So the circus will continue for at least one more year.  

Not to mention Leon, and Sonny Werblin, who are really to blame.  They started this whole mess.

(Did we miss anyone?)

if only Geno was Eli... 

You never know.  I'm not going to deny that there's a very good chance Geno doesn't work out for the Jets (it's the freakin' Jets after all), but let's not forget that Eli's rookie year was highlighted by a 0.0 QB Rating performance that had the entire football-watching world convinced he was a lost cause.  I'm not one to think we need to give every guy an endless list of opportunities, far from it, by 2 preseason games seems a tad early for a judgment even to me.

T

2)  It's going into preseason week 4 and they still haven't picked a starter. how is this acceptable?

Because neither QB has separated themself, and one may be more injured than we know. Sanchez has shown nothing to suggest he will improve this year. Why are you so hell bent on putting him out there again?

Because neither QB has separated themself, and one may be more injured than we know. Sanchez has shown nothing to suggest he will improve this year. Why are you so hell bent on putting him out there again?

because he knows how big an endzone is, and rarely runs out the back of it. 

because he knows how big an endzone is, and rarely runs out the back of it. 

Safety costs the team 2 points

Pick 6 or botched goal line play costs us 6 points.

Safety = preferable to the alternative (unfortunately)

Plus Smith bet they run a zillion drills with him blindfolded in the endzone and he never does it again.  Not after doing it in front of all the fans on TV.  This is what is termed a mulligan.  It's a pre-season game and that's the time to identify issues & prevent them from costing the team points in real games.

Meanwhile Mark has decided that intercepting the ball or fumbling on a sack requires too much effort and takes too long.  He has now decided to instead turn the ball over on the snap itself to save energy.

Serious question when do GMs interfere in lineup choices like this? Besides Jerry jones. Yes people who can't get anyother job will love to work for Idzik. But no one with a reputation would want a GM who doesn't give final lineup control to the HC.

Rex doesn't have final call on his quarterback because Rex has five months left in his existence as a New York Jets employee. Plus, he's a moron who has mishandled every aspect of the offensive personnel since he took the job.

Is there an announcement planned for today? or tomorrow? ladies and gentlemen, the world's longest and worst QB competition. and Jets fans think it's great. 

No one thinks the competition is great.  But most aren't concerned that they haven't publicly announced a decision between Injured and Bad for 4+ Years and Young, Not Ready, and Bad.  Can't imagine why more people aren't chomping at the bit to hear who the winner is.

at least mark got to year 4 before the buttfumble. Geno pulled an orlovsky in his first real action. 

correction: it wasn't even real action. It was preseason. Mark never looked like that in preseason. 

Your new argument is that a player is better off sucking that laughably badly further into their career, rather than when they're still learning the ropes and it doesn't count?  Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather if a QB looked more competent in the midst of his 4th regular season than he did in his first preseason, not less.

What Jet fan thinks our QB uncertainty is great- we all wish we had a legitmate NFL QB-

Seriously, the only good QB competition is the surprise one where the young guy shocks you and outplays the mediocre veteran.

We had young guy vs. terrible veteran, and the fact that young guy seems to have lost, as opposed to terrible veteran doing anything to win, is pretty telling.

Seriously, the only good QB competition is the surprise one where the young guy shocks you and outplays the mediocre veteran.

We had young guy vs. terrible veteran, and the fact that young guy seems to have lost, as opposed to terrible veteran doing anything to win, is pretty telling.

Enter stage right, surprise young guy to save the day,  Matt Simms

(Man I got to stop doing crack so early in the day)

There's a difference between interfering and influencing. Idzik was brought in to help the team, Rex was allowed to stay. It's an obvious environment where the new guy should be influencing the old guy towards better decisions. Plain and simple. I'm sure it happens all the time... you, like the media, are sensationalizing it into more than it is.

You really think that every other franchise exists in this other universe where the GM and Owner don't have check-ins with the coach to see how things are going, to give their input, see if there are players that need to be cut and replace, etc? 

You've got to be kidding me.

This thread, and your entire angle here is drenched with agenda/bias.

Gross.

You should be ashamed of yourself. LOL

Here.  Here!

Archived