If this is how our Front 7 can perform without Coples....

Jetsfan80

Meh, not getting the hate on Milliner.  Definitely some issues there, but the kid is a rookie in his first pro game and people are trying to compare him to Revis.  And I feel the need to remind many of you, Revis was nowhere close to 2009 Revis in his rookie year.

More to the topic of the thread, the front 7 looked fantastic out there.  The DL is top notch and like I said in another thread, it's amazing what a top DL can do for your LB corps.  Harris looked liked his old self again out there.  When all of the OL are getting tied up with the DL (and still getting beat) and so can't be getting to the second level against the LBs, there are so many more opportunities for those guys to make plays.

Front 7 depth and versatility is stupid good.

gotta slow down here they played well today but only three guys touched the ball for the Buc's and they certainly did not attack the middle of the field against us like NE certainly will on Thursday. The Buc's game plan for us was horrible and the results in our favor as they should have been. The Defensive line is good, no doubt, and we did create some pressure but our true weakness on Defense was simply not tested and that's LB's who can prove they can cover. We also may have a safety Issue since they blew a couple of coverages and Landry almost cost us the game with Shabby tackling in a big spot letting VJ just run through him. Tampa is not the offense to Judge this defense on.

If we smack Tom Bradys face in PROVE we can cover elusive slot receivers and TE's then it will be time to get excited about this defense. The cool thing is we have one unit solidly in place and that's the DL and the way Barnes played I would much rather see Coples rushing with his had in the dirt along with Wilk and Richardson. Harrrison and Ellis make up a very nice unit and should make it easy to rotate them and keep them all fresh.

Revis was really good as a rookie. Milliner's still probably going to be fine. 

I'm sure Milliner will be fine but he's exhibiting the same thing Wilson does in that he's not getting his head around quick enough sometimes not at all. It should come with time if Milliner is the real deal, but Wilson still has not learned, its sad because Wilson always seems glued to  his Receiver just has issues making the play. When you watch Revis he ALWAYS gets that head around to make a play on the ball his anticipation and timing are probably the best this league has ever seen.

Plus one.  I am scratching my head trying to recall just exactly what he did last season that was so impressive.

Many games you would never know he even took the field.

He was a rookie last year, yet he led the team in sacks with 3.5 of his 5.5 on the season coming in the last four weeks of the year. He may not be LT just yet, but he certainly showed promise.

He was a rookie last year, yet he led the team in sacks with 3.5 of his 5.5 on the season coming in the last four weeks of the year. He may not be LT just yet, but he certainly showed promise.

Jesus, thanks.  I thought I was taking crazy pills.  How is adding back a 1st round pass-rusher to an already good pass-rush not something that excites people?

Coples will probably not make as big an impact as some think immediately, he'll take a while to really get going in a new position, although I'm certainty excited to see him get involved.

I think coples will line up over center some, maybe even on the other side in passing situations.  I don't expect Barnes to lose a lot of snaps.

I agree this front 7 was great even without Coples who will certainly add another dimension to everything. I can't see who offensive coordinators will decide to double team now, let alone when Coples is back and healthy. As far as the secondary is concerned, I really feel strongly that it will be fixed. Perhaps even mixing in more zone coverage. By the end of the year, this front 7 could potentially be the best that the Jets have ever had. I'm not just saying that because we won either, I'm saying it because of their performance yesterday. That was a pretty good offense and really they gave up 10 points to them (If you take away the TD run after the turnover). That isnt bad when you are missing a pretty good player and it is only week one with a very young group that will only get better throughout the season.

Revis was really good as a rookie. Milliner's still probably going to be fine. 

He was really good for a rookie, but still nowhere close to what he became.  Consider he was also playing a lot more zone and with plenty of safety help while under Mangini.  Milliner is getting thrown into man to man from day one.  I'm not necessarily even trying to compare him to Revis as much as try to give a little perspective.  It seems like the expectations of some people may just be a tad bit excessive.  Lately it seems like a good chunk of this board thinks if you're drafted in the first 3 rounds you need to be a pro bowler in your first pro season.

Archived