Tomlinson: Rex once said "I'm gonna punch [Belichick] in the face"

Jetsfan80

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://nypost.com/2011/01/28/revis-says-jets-relaxed-in-loss-to-steelers/

According to Darrelle Revis, the Jets “just relaxed” at the start of last weekend’s AFC Championship against the Steelers.

Speaking yesterday in Hawaii, where he is preparing for Sunday’s Pro Bowl, the Jets’ star cornerback blamed the divisional playoff win at New England for his team’s listless first half in which the Jets trailed 24-3. They lost, 24-19.

Asked by the NFL Network if there was a letdown, Revis said, “I think . . . you could say that. Yeah, you could say that. On people’s body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn’t know what was at stake. That’s why we came out so flat and we didn’t finish strong.”

GIVE JETS YOUR GRADES

VOTE: JETS FREE AGENTS

Revis said several leaders spoke up in the locker room at halftime, including him, and the Jets made a game of it. Revis also said he was prepared to sit out the season if he didn’t receive a new contract during training camp.

I've read this now several times and every time I do, I get happier that Revis is not on this team anymore. 

TEAM leader Revis doesn't say a word when guys are dogging it during prep for the AFCCG. TEAM leader Revis speaks up at halftime when the team is losing by three scores. TEAM leader Revis says he won't play at all next year unless he gets paid 1/6 of the teams salary cap. 

GFY Darrelle. 

I've read this now several times and every time I do, I get happier that Revis is not on this team anymore. 

TEAM leader Revis doesn't say a word when guys are dogging it during the AFCCG. TEAM leader Revis speaks up at halftime when the team is losing by three scores. TEAM leader Revis says he won't play at all next year if he doesn't get paid 1/6 of the teams salary cap. 

GFY Darrelle. 

I didn't want Revis on this team either after this season (for the price he was commanding), but how do you totally absolve Rex of this?

Isn't the "amping up" by Rex Ryan what so many in this thread are claiming is his forte? Heck, I read here, players want to "run through walls" for him. We are lucky to have him because of this trait. 

Not so much in the Pittsburgh game.

You are right though, there is accountability with players too, but the coach sets the tone.

You fail to aknowledge the "amping up" may have had a little bit to do with beating the Colts and Pats on the road.  You refuse to comprehend that the GM is supposed to build the team.  Nobody is saying that Rex should shop for the groceries or that he is flawless.  I'm pretty sure there are rational people with valid reasons for wanting him fired that think your being an over the top agenda driven buffoon on the topic.  

You fail to aknowledge the "amping up" may have had a little bit to do with beating the Colts and Pats on the road.  You refuse to comprehend that the GM is supposed to build the team.  Nobody is saying that Rex should shop for the groceries or that he is flawless.  I'm pretty sure there are rational people with valid reasons for wanting him fired that think your being an over the top agenda driven buffoon on the topic.  

By "amping up", I meant the supposed will that Rex gives this team to win by his words and actions. You know-player's coach, guys run through walls sort of deal?

Pretty sure I am allowed an opinion. If you don't like that opinion, you are free to ignore it.

And being called a buffoon hurts ;(

Where did I totally absolve him? You're giving him no credit for getting there in the first place. 

Pretty sure I said in thread what a great great job he did in beating NE.

Or are you just cherry picking now based on what you think people say.

Hed din't finish the deal though. And part of that was effort related. That reflects on Rex

Pretty sure I said in thread what a great great job he did in beating NE.

Or are you just cherry picking now based on what you think people say.

Hed din't finish the deal though. And part of that was effort related. That reflects on Rex

You're making it out as though that one game automatically disqualifies him as being a good motivator. 

You're making it out as though that one game automatically disqualifies him as being a good motivator. 

Since it can be considered the most important game of his coaching career, it is the one that I will grade him the most steeply on.

Big players come up in big spots, the same as big coaches. Rex didn't in that spot. He actually comes up small in the preparation department, which is damning of a coach.

I would love for him to have another opportunity to change that, but I don't see iot coming.

By "amping up", I meant the supposed will that Rex gives this team to win by his words and actions. You know-player's coach, guys run through walls sort of deal?

Pretty sure I am allowed an opinion. If you don't like that opinion, you are free to ignore it.

And being called a buffoon hurts ;(

Your opinion is that the Jets beat the Pats and Colts on the road because they were the  better team, but lost to the Steelers because their coach failed to motivate them.  Got it.

PS: Believe it or not, I actually struggled with the personal attack, but decided that it required something.  Like my briefs at work, the original was much stronger and profane!

Your opinion is that the Jets beat the Pats and Colts on the road because they were the  better team, but lost to the Steelers because their coach failed to motivate them.  Got it.

PS: Believe it or not, I actually struggled with the personal attack, but decided that it required something.  Like my briefs at work, the original was much stronger and profane!

Never said all that. I think the Jets and Steelers were evenly matched at worst. The difference I did see in the game was that effort was lacking from the jets in the first half. It is characterized from players as the same.

That has to fall on the shoulders of the coaches, to one degree or another. No way around that. 

Rex has also told us that he has "lost the lockerroom" before. None of this is made up.

Buffoons hurt too, ya know.

Since it can be considered the most important game of his coaching career, it is the one that I will grade him the most steeply on.

Big players come up in big spots, the same as big coaches. Rex didn't in that spot. He actually comes up small in the preparation department, which is damning of a coach.

I would love for him to have another opportunity to change that, but I don't see iot coming.

I think that's a bit unfair, especially when there are so many factors that come into preparation.  His defensive game-plans prior to an opponent seems second to none and while the Jets were usually around the 18th in least penalized teams, he's definitely seemed to improve in that venue after last years showing of  being the third least penalized team in terms of total penalties and yards per game.  That definitely reflects on preparation and if he's going to get criticized for other phases, he should at least get credit for what he has improved on.

I think that's a bit unfair, especially when there are so many factors that come into preparation.  His defensive game-plans prior to an opponent seems second to none and while the Jets were usually around the 18th in least penalized teams, he's definitely seemed to improve in that venue after last years showing of  being the third least penalized team in terms of total penalties and yards per game.  That definitely reflects on preparation and if he's going to get criticized for other phases, he should at least get credit for what he has improved on.

Is Rex the worst coach in the league? of course not.

But my opinion is, he will never get a team to that next level of just being good.

Of course, there are other opinions out there.

Unlike Klecko who have you believe this is a debate that he is a power broker over, that is just the way it is

But my opinion is, he will never get a team to that next level of just being good.

Unlike Klecko who have you believe this is a debate that he is a power broker over, that is just the way it is

Fair enough. Hell, I knew people who liked Mike D'antoni, so I'm not unaccustomed to differing in views with other fans, nor will I try to change their mind. I just hope you're terribly wrong.

Never said all that. I think the Jets and Steelers were evenly matched at worst. The difference I did see in the game was that effort was lacking from the jets in the first half. It is characterized from players as the same.

That has to fall on the shoulders of the coaches, to one degree or another. No way around that. 

Rex has also told us that he has "lost the lockerroom" before. None of this is made up.

Buffoons hurt too, ya know.

Rex says a great many things that other coaches don't say.  It's a valid criticism, but I believe that he said it as a message to the players.  The players like him.  If he says he lost "them" they know that they let him down and he probably isn't going to tolerate it any more. 

You don't think he'll get us to that next level, but he they said the same things about Cowher.  He got this team pretty close with a roster that was considerably worse that the year prior. The great thing about Rex is that if he is bad as you seem to think he should implode and have a horrific year.  Thus far, he hasn't.  If Idzik is smart he will be able to reign in the bad Rex while taking advantage of the good.  I know you think the D has been overrated, but even assuming that,  I think you have downplayed the value Rex brings to it. If Idzik can't work with him he'll know by the end of the year and can him.  No worries.  You and Shane can have a party. 

Isn't the "amping up" by Rex Ryan what so many in this thread are claiming is his forte? Heck, I read here, players want to "run through walls" for him. We are lucky to have him because of this trait. 

Not so much in the Pittsburgh game.

You are right though, there is accountability with players too, but the coach sets the tone.

I couldn't care less about the motivational aspect of it.

Why won't they get past good?

If, in your opinion, Rex's team was good enough to make it to the Super Bowl, with one of the worst QBs in the league, what's stopping them from taking just one step forward with a real QB?  (Not saying Geno is one, just saying that if that is your argument, then you're pretty close to where you need to be already)

Give it a rest dude, you've taken a reasonable argument (that Rex isn't a perfect HEAD coach) and beaten it to the point where it's absurd. At the end of the day, Rex isn't perfect, but firing him right now would change nothing - not one thing. This team lacks talent and/or experience all across the board.

"Great" coaches are built-up on the backs of great players. Period. 

Rex says a great many things that other coaches don't say.  It's a valid criticism, but I believe that he said it as a message to the players.  The players like him.  If he says he lost "them" they know that they let him down and he probably isn't going to tolerate it any more. 

You don't think he'll get us to that next level, but he they said the same things about Cowher.  He got this team pretty close with a roster that was considerably worse that the year prior. The great thing about Rex is that if he is bad as you seem to think he should implode and have a horrific year.  Thus far, he hasn't.  If Idzik is smart he will be able to reign in the bad Rex while taking advantage of the good.  I know you think the D has been overrated, but even assuming that,  I think you have downplayed the value Rex brings to it. If Idzik can't work with him he'll know by the end of the year and can him.  No worries.  You and Shane can have a party. 

The hallmark of all great managers - turn those that report to you into stars as you fade into the background. 

Coaches are going to use all types of "gimmicks", etc. in motivating a team, I have no problem with that. I remember college stories of some coaching bringing in a steer, I believe. before the Texas game and having it castrated. Something along those lines. Hey if it works for you, and no one got hurt, have at it.

What Tomlinson doesn't mention, what game it was and what were the results? Maybe the Patriot playoff game in '10?

Great coaches are able to capture the emotions of their teams, channel that and keep it at sustained a peak for a run at the right time.

Rex has shown the ability to do it in bursts-See aforementioned Pat playoff game in '10. But, the team then followed that game up with what looked like an emotionally spent performance against the Steelers in an even bigger game.

By all appearances , The Patriots was there SB game, and they had nothing left.

A great coach does not allow that.

I watched the broadcast.. he stated they won

BTW- Bill Bellichick DRAFTED Tom Brady. Any other coach and GM could have done the same. He saw the talent, he nurtured it. 

That would mere 12 picks earlier, also in round 6, he saw greater talent in Antwan Harris. As in, Tom Brady was not worthy of the 187th pick in the draft.  Ditto his identification of the talent of David Stachelski and Jeff Marriott a round before that.

NE got stupidly lucky.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000242538/article/lt-rex-ryan-said-he-was-going-to-punch-bill-belichick

LT: Rex Ryan said he was going to punch Bill Belichick

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Sept. 10, 2013 at 09:30 p.m.

Remember the time Rex Ryan dropped Bill Belichick at midfield before a key matchup between the New York Jets and New England Patriots?

You don't -- or, at least, you shouldn't -- because it never happened. But that doesn't mean Ryan never told his players that was his intention.

On Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," NFL Media's LaDainian Tomlinson recalled a pep talk the Jets coach gave to his players before a showdown between the AFC East rivals.

"We were playing the Patriots one time, and as I mentioned, Rex is a master motivator," said Tomlinson, who played under Ryan in 2010 and 2011. "It was going to be a big game, a heated rivalry game, and Rex got in front of us, he said, 'I'm going to set the tempo today, guys,' he said, 'I'm going to set the tempo when I meet Bill Belichick in the center of the field, I'm gonna start it off and punch him in the face. I loved it."

"He was motivating his guys and he wanted to jump it off," LT added. " ... Our coach showed confidence that he has in us (and) in himself. He can be joking and lighten the mood at the same time while being serious about the competition."

Tomlinson's comments are a reminder of how fun this rivalry was at the turn of the decade. Let's hope the teams can re-capture that spark Thursday night.

Snitch

AGENDA!

This statement is factually false. It isn't doesn't even rise to the level of ridiculous opinion.

No it isn't.  The only team that comes close is Kotite's teams, and they just were totally unprepared and untalented.  Rex's teams have talent and have just not shown up for halves of games or whole games on numerous occasions.  The Pittsburgh AFC game is the most infamous, but there have been at least 1-2 games if not more every year.

That would mere 12 picks earlier, also in round 6, he saw greater talent in Antwan Harris. As in, Tom Brady was not worthy of the 187th pick in the draft.  Ditto his identification of the talent of David Stachelski and Jeff Marriott a round before that.

NE got stupidly lucky.  

Luck is the residue of design. You don't know what was in BB's mind. But the Patriots saw something in Brady that no one else saw. If you want to dismiss that as luck, it may be sour grapes.

If Rex is a master motivator, why is it that the Jets have failed to show up for more games under Rex than under any other HC they've ever had?  He may be a master baiter, but he's no master motivator.

Edwards was supposedly this great motivator.

These guys are professionals who have been hearing the Knute Rockne stuff forever, since Pop Warner. It pretty much evaporates on the first hit.

The next time we hear about a great pregame speech by a losing team's coach will be a first.

The "master motivator" thing in the NFL is nonsense on stilts.

Luck is the residue of design. You don't know what was in BB's mind. But the Patriots saw something in Brady that no one else saw. If you want to dismiss that as luck, it may be sour grapes.

What was in his mind was to keep trading down and get a zillion 5th-7th round draft picks, 90% of whom didn't make it as a backup for more than a year or two, let alone as a starter, still less as an all-time great starter.

This was total luck.  Someone could have/would have taken him; it ended up being the Pats.  If he knew anything he would have at least taken Brady with his FIRST low-6th-round pick.

He knew jack squat, and had him rated far, far, far lower than he had rated Kevin O'Connell.  

With your line of logic, winning the lottery is the residue of design.  Except in this case, unlike regular people with the lottery, every team buys draft/lottery tickets every April.  This one panned out.  His hit vs miss rate in the draft, after round 1 in particular, is among the worst in the NFL with the Browns, and for his entire tenure with the Pats.

If he was finding 2-3 late round gems every year, then you could argue it's the residue of design.  When he's hitting 1 out of 20 like everyone else, he's just plain lucky.  And when 1 of those 20 is Tom Brady, it is historically lucky. 

Archived