FOR THE LOVE OF GOD,PLEASE

ylekram

Think Wildcat only worked when it was popular and newer... 2009&2010 .. it is not a waste and dead .. wonder if the pistol will die young too.. ?

Why would the Pistol die? Its not a gimmick, all it does is move the QB a couple yards behind center, and you run the same plays, and formations as if he was under center, it gives the QB a chance to get a look at the D quicker than if he was dropping back after the snap, and helps QB's who are not totally comfortable under center time to adjust in practice instead of making the mistakes in the game, and also helps the foot work challenged QB's.

Why would the Pistol die? Its not a gimmick, all it does is move the QB a couple yards behind center, and you run the same plays, and formations as if he was under center, it gives the QB a chance to get a look at the D quicker than if he was dropping back after the snap, and helps QB's who are not totally comfortable under center time to adjust in practice instead of making the mistakes in the game, and also helps the foot work challenged QB's.

Not so much die as in it becomes ineffective but as in dies out/isn't used much... new formations are always coming to the NFL and when one sticks it usually proves to be more dominate then the last.

It isn't a surprise. And once (always now) sees it  the offense is basically playing with 10 players since if you do pass to the QB you give the defense a free shot. SO the defense keys their 11 guy on the ball and ignores the QB in the formation. It's wasted down.

It isn't a surprise. And once (always now) sees it  the offense is basically playing with 10 players since if you do pass to the QB you give the defense a free shot. SO the defense keys their 11 guy on the ball and ignores the QB in the formation. It's wasted down.

I think it's worth using a few times a game given the situation.  It takes some pressure off of Geno and gives the defense something to prepare for.  I don't really mind it if it's used sparingly and with Kerley taking the snap.  He's probably the best open field runner on the team and he can actually throw the ball.

The thing that kills the wildcat is the lack of a pass threat. With a Brad Smith type player, the wildcat can be very effective because the defense can't focus strictly on the run like they do with say, the way we run it now. A potential passer/runner changes the wildcat's effectiveness ten-fold.

They are going to be running this read option stuff for awhile.  I actually like that the Jets keep running it with different people.  Also seeing Geno out wide makes it look like they could actually throw it to him.  When Mark would split out wide I always feared he would break a fingernail.

They are going to be running this read option stuff for awhile.  I actually like that the Jets keep running it with different people.  Also seeing Geno out wide makes it look like they could actually throw it to him.  When Mark would split out wide I always feared he would break a fingernail.

Sanchez missed one game in four years due to injury I believe

I have no problem with the wild cat, so long as it's not used directly after the quarterback gains momentum with a few completed passes, that always pisses me off.  I would rather see the wildcat and have powell take a dive right behind Colon as opposed to tossing it to kerley on 3rd and 1, that play drove me nuts.

I have no problem with the wild cat, so long as it's not used directly after the quarterback gains momentum with a few completed passes, that always pisses me off. I would rather see the wildcat and have powell take a dive right behind Colon as opposed to tossing it to kerley on 3rd and 1, that play drove me nuts.[/quote

This:

I have no problem with the wild cat, as long as it's not used directly after the quarterback gains momentum with a few completed passes,

I think it's worth using a few times a game given the situation.  It takes some pressure off of Geno and gives the defense something to prepare for.  I don't really mind it if it's used sparingly and with Kerley taking the snap.  He's probably the best open field runner on the team and he can actually throw the ball.

This week anyway Kerley is out. So we won't have the "surprise" Wildcat QB.

I'm no x/o guy.  But what I'm reading suggests the wildcat works best when you have a running game?

hypothetically speaking, what if you don't?

All this wildcat hoopla could be replaced if we had a Leon or Tomlinson type runner who could run around end or take a quick pitch and beat the defense to the corner.

We cut Chad Spann and Madu who was supposed to hold the fort until Goodson came back.  Maybe they weren't NFL quality players, I don't know.  But it would be nice to have someone back there who could take the pressure off the QB that way, especially a rookie.

Archived