Adam Schefter: "People within the Jets organization pushed for Simms to be the starter"

Matt39

0f0fb36c3f0e930dadf2a9ff65f253ba_normal.

RT @DWAZ73: Just through 2 games, but Geno Smith's 55.2 passer rating is 32nd in league _ last among quarterbacks with at least 20 attempts…
Beat Writer / Columnist
  • a297b55b3a458866137f9c300c7eb61f_normal.
    Just through 2 games, but Geno Smith's 55.2 passer rating is 32nd in league _ last among quarterbacks with at least 20 attempts. #Jets
    Beat Writer / Columnist

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>

0f0fb36c3f0e930dadf2a9ff65f253ba_normal.

Jane McManus @janesports 1m

RT @DWAZ73: Just through 2 games, but Geno Smith's 55.2 passer rating is 32nd in league _ last among quarterbacks with at least 20 attempts…

Beat Writer / Columnist

• a297b55b3a458866137f9c300c7eb61f_normal.

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73 4m

Just through 2 games, but Geno Smith's 55.2 passer rating is 32nd in league _ last among quarterbacks with at least 20 attempts. #Jets

Beat Writer / Columnist

Eat a dick, Waszak, and cut off that creepy Third Reich mustache and try eating less sodium before your glowing red face goes full-time to purple. You look like every rube hillbilly State Trooper from the Smokey and the Bandit movies, jerkoff.

Eat a dick, Waszak, and cut off that creepy Third Reich mustache and try eating less sodium before your glowing red face goes full-time to purple. You look like every rube hillbilly State Trooper from the Smokey and the Bandit movies, jerkoff.

LOL

Bad mood about the Giants?

all this "the Jets needed to run more" is hypothetical. They could have run more and lost. Easily.

Especially cause they were behind. It's an unorthodox approach in this league. this isn't some simple thing where they needed to run to kill the clock. They need to score points. a fg isnt beating brady

the problem with the Jets offense isn't playcalling.

i dont plan on giving Geno four years to come around. If he isnt winning by the end of the season, move on. If we are still questioning if he is good or not by the end of the season, move on.

If Geno struggles all year you CAN NOT go into the offseason not knowing what you have in Simms, you have to find out if he can be a good QB in this league, IF he isn't, and Geno didn't convince you he will be either then you have to draft another QB with your 1st pick (I'm going to assume they will be picking in the top 10 if all of this above happens).

Like Bitoni said the reason the Jets lost Thursday was not play calling, it was the QB, it's always been the reason the Jets have lost the last 40 years except the 1998 season, and maybe the 1986 season, I would include 2008 if Favre was healthy for the whole season, but he wasn't.

all this "the Jets needed to run more" is hypothetical. They could have run more and lost. Easily.

Especially cause they were behind. It's an unorthodox approach in this league. this isn't some simple thing where they needed to run to kill the clock. They need to score points. a fg isnt beating brady

the one thing that isn't hypothetical, was the jets wretched passing attack. I think most posters simply are trying to say that they should have ran a little more than they did.maybe a lot more. you say a field goal will not beat brady. being down a field goal and throwing another pick will not beat brady. running attack= 1 touchdown. smiths arm= 3 picks

If we run and take the points we're at least extending the game. I swear the Jets screw up automatic points more than any team in the league.

If you assume 100% of Wilson's runs were designed passes that broke down (I really wasn't paying attention to that), then last night Seattle:

40 designed running plays

30 designed passing plays

Someone go tell Pete Carroll that he's not beating a superbowl team with that stupid ground & pound philosophy!  Only 8 completed passes the whole game and they won? Impossible.

LOL, srsly.

i dont plan on giving Geno four years to come around. If he isnt winning by the end of the season, move on. If we are still questioning if he is good or not by the end of the season, move on.

Yeah, with Geno I think you give him the leash you'd normally give a 2nd rounder. If he can't get it done after a few more games, then see what Simms can actually do. If we eventually have to go back to Geno - no problem - the key is to see what you've got in both guys, so that you know what your priority is at that position going forward.

Some of the posters here have reacted to him being selected with the same level of urgency and importance you might if he was taken in the top 10 picks. I just don't see it like that. The Jets gave Kellen Clemens about 8 games to sink or swim, my guess is Geno gets about the same. If he doesn't progress, he becomes an inexpensive backup to develop. If neither him or Simms can hack it, then we MUST address the position next off-season. Either a veteran or a 1st rounder.

the choice shouldn't be between passing and running. the choice should be Geno Smith or Matt Simms. If the NFL were a meritocracy Matt Simms would have gotten some 1st team reps. If Geno starts the Buffalo game like he ended the Pats game, go to Matt Simms. Why not? 

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Geno? 

Didn't watch the game, but did they have the game in hand, and decided to stay on the ground?

The team that passes the most in any game typically loses, but you can't extrapolate that into teams need to run the ball more in order to win.

It doesn't work that way.

Seattle won that game on the ground.  It was actually similar to the Jets game in that neither quarterback got anything going.

If Geno struggles all year you CAN NOT go into the offseason not knowing what you have in Simms, you have to find out if he can be a good QB in this league, IF he isn't, and Geno didn't convince you he will be either then you have to draft another QB with your 1st pick (I'm going to assume they will be picking in the top 10 if all of this above happens).

Like Bitoni said the reason the Jets lost Thursday was not play calling, it was the QB, it's always been the reason the Jets have lost the last 40 years except the 1998 season, and maybe the 1986 season, I would include 2008 if Favre was healthy for the whole season, but he wasn't.

I would say we lost more because of the receivers than Geno, but Eugene was not good in Q4

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Geno?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Mark Sanchez?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Kyle Wilson?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Stephen Hill?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Wayne Hunter?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Eric Smith?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Bart Scott?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Santonio Holmes?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Tony Sparano?

They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Mark Sanchez? They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Kyle Wilson? They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Stephen Hill? They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Wayne Hunter? They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Eric Smith? They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Bart Scott? They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Santonio Holmes? They can bench Dee Milliner why can't they bench Tony Sparano?

Because that's dumb...

Didn't watch the game, but did they have the game in hand, and decided to stay on the ground?

The team that passes the most in any game typically loses, but you can't extrapolate that into teams need to run the ball more in order to win.

It doesn't work that way.

No, that is not what occurred.  Despite the lopsided final score, at the start of the 4th quarter it was a 12-3 ballgame.  This was not a blowout game where they just ran the ball 20x to run the clock out.  You're just wrong.  Seattle had Wilson drop back to pass 10 times in the 4th quarter alone (which doesn't include their first possession of the period, that began with 5 min left in the 3rd).

Maybe you should have at least looked up the play by play, which is easy enough, before making an incorrect assumption and then trying to tell me off based on that incorrect assumption.  Seattle didn't go into run-only mode until their very last possession, which consisted of a whopping 4 handoffs.  

You're thinking of Parcells that made the idiotic assumption - and proudly announced it to display this ignorance for all to witness - that if they ran the ball >500x it meant it would get the team to the playoffs because of the circular logic you're referring to.  The notion that a winning team runs out the clock at the end, and in doing so compiles rushing attempts, somehow didn't enter his mind.  

In a particular game, a team goes with what's working, not what you force-feed whether it's working or not.  I prefer a top passing attack to a top running attack, but you have the team that you have.  And only a fool coaches one game based on a global philosophy rather than what is working (and not working) in that one particular game.  Same thing looking at it from the opposite POV: if you're a run-first team and your RBs are getting stuffed down after down, possession after possession, only a dope keeps running in pig-headed fashion.  Or if you're getting beat by 20 points in the 4th quarter, you don't keep going with handoffs and expect to catch up.  A general philosophy, whether run-first or pass-first, doesn't exist in a vacuum.  

I'm not advocating "we MUST be ground and pound" or anything silly like that.  In this particular game, I would like to have seen a more even ratio.  To be honest, I think we would have won if we had.

Yeah, with Geno I think you give him the leash you'd normally give a 2nd rounder. If he can't get it done after a few more games, then see what Simms can actually do. If we eventually have to go back to Geno - no problem - the key is to see what you've got in both guys, so that you know what your priority is at that position going forward.

Some of the posters here have reacted to him being selected with the same level of urgency and importance you might if he was taken in the top 10 picks. I just don't see it like that. The Jets gave Kellen Clemens about 8 games to sink or swim, my guess is Geno gets about the same. If he doesn't progress, he becomes an inexpensive backup to develop. If neither him or Simms can hack it, then we MUST address the position next off-season. Either a veteran or a 1st rounder.

I basically agree with this.  Optimally the Jets would not have had to start Smith until somewhat later in the season, to give him more time to learn the offense and work with the team.  But it is what it is, and his opportunity to show his stuff is coming early.  But the Jets are in a situation with him of balancing giving him an opportunity to show his stuff but realizing there's no season long commitment or anything to him. 

The Clemens analogy is pretty on target, but not a perfect fit, since the Jets did have the experience of seeing him over a longer period than they have with Smith.  But  I still generally agree with the comment.  The Jets remained committed to Sanchez, who was the fifth pick in the draft, far too long, with increasingly diminishing returns as time went on.  There is no such commtment to a second round pick who can't get it done.

But for the record this is still more conceptual than anything.  Smith has to get more of a chance before they throw in the towel. Just because the Jets stuck with Sanchez far too long does not mean you toss your second round pick in the garbage after two games.  Plus he's not been really awful.  give him more time.

But not MUCH more time.  Heh.

In the Seattle game, early on Wilson looked terrible.  He threw like four or five incompletions in a row in the first quarter.  And way off target, too.  Meanwhile they have Lynch.  Even Wilson ran it ten times. 

Wilson also threw an interception and put it on the ground once. 

Meanwhile Kaepernick threw three interceptions, lost a fumble, and Cox also lost a fumble.  The Niners ended up scoring only three points.

Add it up and that's why they ran it more than threw it, in general terms.  Yeah, the ypa was better than the ypc, but Seattle's passing game was shakey.  And SF was not scoring.  The odds say run the ball in a game like that.

Archived