Rex vs. Pettine: Round 1

flgreen

Rex vs. Pettine: Round 1 on Sunday

September, 17, 2013

Sep 17

11:05

AM ET

By  Kieran Darcy | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Sunday’s game between the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills isn’t just a battle to avoid the AFC East cellar.

It’s also a reunion of Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine.

Pettine served as Ryan’s defensive coordinator in his first four seasons with the Jets, prior to taking the same job under new Bills head coach Doug Marrone this offseason. Ryan and Pettine also worked together with the Baltimore Ravens for seven years prior to that.

“It is gonna be interesting. I’ve never done it before,” Ryan said Monday, of coaching against Pettine. “He’s kind of a brother, but I’ve faced my twin brother [Rob] many times. So I think I’m ready for it.”

Pettine obviously knows Ryan’s defensive schemes as well as anybody, and will undoubtedly spill everything he knows to his new team this week. But Ryan did not sound too concerned about that Monday.

“There’s no question you’re gonna do that,” Ryan said. “But again, when that ball’s snapped, a lot of things happen. There could be something new, there could be something old, something old that looks new -- a lot of that type of stuff. If it was that easy -- I just don’t think it’s that easy.

“There’s a little bit of that gamesmanship involved,” Ryan added, “but it’s just gonna come down to execution.”

Both teams are 1-1, a game behind the 2-0 New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins. The Bills are coming off a thrilling win over the Carolina Panthers, while the Jets are coming off a heartbreaking loss to the Pats. But through two weeks, the Jets’ defense has far outplayed their Bills counterparts.

The Jets are currently ranked third in the NFL, giving up just 241 yards per game. The Bills, on the other hand, are tied for 18th overall (369.5 ypg), and third to last in rushing yards allowed (141.5 ypg).

Rex feasts on Rookie QBs.  If we contain Manuel, we win.

Jets' offense averaging a wopping 14 PPG. A Wrecks team never scores enough and has too little margin for error. Which is how they lose this one in a close game.

The Jets are never going to do anything until the have an offense that hangs 24-35 PPG regularly. Everything else is details. Keep telling yourself lies about "establishing the run" and being the #5 defense against the pass or some such crap. It's all a delusional until the offense gets scary for the other team.

Jets' offense averaging a wopping 14 PPG. A Wrecks team never scores enough and has too little margin for error. Which is how they lose this one in a close game.

The Jets are never going to do anything until the have an offense that hangs 24-35 PPG regularly. Everything else is details. Keep telling yourself lies about "establishing the run" and being the #5 defense against the pass or some such crap. It's all a delusional until the offense gets scary for the other team.

BLASPHEMY!!!

I think our offense will get better as the season goes on.  Week 3 will be better than the week 2s sh!t show alone if the WR can catch a freaking ball.  Add to that we had 10 days of growth to GENO and we put up 24 pts on the Jills.  Book it!

But they run the ball down Buffalo's throat every year. Let's see if Mornhinweg changes a winning formula. He kind of already established his distate for anything that doesn't involve passing. I digress

But they run the ball down Buffalo's throat every year. Let's see if Mornhinweg changes a winning formula. He kind of already established his distate for anything that doesn't involve passing. I digress

Here is the blasphemy; count me as heretic. Running the ball has a negligible contribution to winning NFL games unless you're ahead and you're running out the clock. Joe Theissmann for years babbled about "Team X wins most of their games when the run the ball 30+ times, so run the ball all game". That is confusing an outcome wtih causation. Winning teams run the ball only because they are in such positions. Of course, we aren't allowed to look at the numbers and say that. Teams run a lot because they're ahead and they want to change things up a bit to set up the pass. Nobody is winning tons of games with 4 18 play 90 yard 8 1st down drives. There is too much that ahs to go right to do that. A few 30+ yard passes work way better.There is no point to running all day at Ngata, Wilfork and Hampton. Better to force teams to respect the pass.  They're winning because their offense passes effectively and scores TDs. In Morninweg's dreams he has at least a QB who can do this. The SNY crew is all over him about "getting away from the run" which is faulty logic.I am at least encouraged that while the Jets' passing attack is so far lacking the OC seems to understand what has to be done to turn things around.

The team hired Marty ******* Mornhinweg and I am still hearing that Rex is doomed because he is sticking to the ground and pound?  What the ****?  Did you people watch the game Thursday?  They may not score points, but they are not scoring points through the ******* air.

Keep fighting the fight Dom. And take your heart medication.

Here is the blasphemy; count me as heretic. Running the ball has a negligible contribution to winning NFL games unless you're ahead and you're running out the clock. Joe Theissmann for years babbled about "Team X wins most of their games when the run the ball 30+ times, so run the ball all game". That is confusing an outcome wtih causation. Winning teams run the ball only because they are in such positions. Of course, we aren't allowed to look at the numbers and say that. Teams run a lot because they're ahead and they want to change things up a bit to set up the pass. Nobody is winning tons of games with 4 18 play 90 yard 8 1st down drives. There is too much that ahs to go right to do that. A few 30+ yard passes work way better.There is no point to running all day at Ngata, Wilfork and Hampton. Better to force teams to respect the pass.  They're winning because their offense passes effectively and scores TDs. In Morninweg's dreams he has at least a QB who can do this. The SNY crew is all over him about "getting away from the run" which is faulty logic.I am at least encouraged that while the Jets' passing attack is so far lacking the OC seems to understand what has to be done to turn things around.

We'd be 2-0 if we passed less.

Keep fighting the fight Dom. And take your heart medication.

Did they or did they not pass the ball plenty on Thursday?  There is only one way to win a football game.  Score more points than the other team.  It's been proven time and again.

We'd be 2-0 if we passed less.

You can't win in this league by running the football.  Haven't you heard?

The team hired Marty ******* Mornhinweg and I am still hearing that Rex is doomed because he is sticking to the ground and pound?  What the ****?  Did you people watch the game Thursday?  They may not score points, but they are not scoring points through the ******* air.

They ran for 90 yards week 1 and won because of a moronic play by a Bucs defender.They ran for 129 last Thursday and lost.

The problem with this CS under Wrecks is theys till think it's 1972 and you need to run the ball and play defense. While they help, the rules have been tilted to passing the ball. You value those other 2 things over a decent passing attack-which has been Wrecks here since Day 1 of the Ryan Error in it's personnel and approach- and you will lose sooner rather than later. A good passing attack can cover up a lot of warts. Running the ball in Wrecks' first 2 seasons didn't get us to the big game.

Wrecks, for all his supposed tough guy bravado, is scared to throw passes. What a total pussy.

How many more runs of the middle straight at a few 300+ fellas do you have to see before you say that is a waste of a play spare the occasional short yardage play?

They ran for 90 yards week 1 and won because of a moronic play by a Bucs defender.They ran for 129 last Thursday and lost.

The problem with this CS under Wrecks is theys till think it's 1972 and you need to run the ball and play defense. While they help, the rules have been tilted to passing the ball. You value those other 2 things over a decent passing attack-which has been Wrecks here since Day 1 of the Ryan Error in it's personnel and approach- and you will lose sooner rather than later. A good passing attack can cover up a lot of warts. Running the ball in Wrecks' first 2 seasons didn't get us to the big game.

Wrecks, for all his supposed tough guy bravado, is scared to throw passes. What a total pussy.

How many more runs of the middle straight at a few 300+ fellas do you have to see before you say that is a waste of a play spare the occasional short yardage play?

Yo must have missed the NE game, because most of the runs were the exact opposite of a wasted play.

FYI, Geno out dueled Brady in passing yards and we still lost. So much for your theory about having to win the passing game to get the W. 

Are you under the impression that Sparano is hte offensive coordinator? They may have the single most pass happy OC in the league. The guy is practically Mouse Davis.

Are you stuck in 2012?  Come out of the cold man.  Embrace the facts.

Are you under the impression that Sparano is hte offensive coordinator? They may have the single most pass happy OC in the league. The guy is practically Mouse Davis.

Are you stuck in 2012?  Come out of the cold man.  Embrace the facts.

MM is doing a better job. If the jets passed the ball reasonbly well they would be 2 and 0. Think a lot of football fans buy into cliches about running the ball. And it's no lnger that important.

MM is doing a better job. If the jets passed the ball reasonbly well they would be 2 and 0. Think a lot of football fans buy into cliches about running the ball. And it's no lnger that important.

FWIW - 7 of the top 10 teams in the league in terms of rush attempts in 2012, made the playoffs.  5 of them, won their division.  

FWIW - 7 of the top 10 teams in the league in terms of rush attempts in 2012, made the playoffs.  5 of them, won their division.  

Bugg's point that teams that are ahead run the ball a lot to finish off games may be relevant here.  Though I do know that pass-heavy teams like the Saints and Pats are typically among the league leaders in rush attempts inside the 10 yard line year in and year out.

There's no one way to win in this league, that's for sure.  If we have the ability to run for 5 yards a pop, like Ivory and Powell were doing last week, a balanced approach seems wise.  You play to your team's strengths, not to what the rest of the league is doing. 

Sometimes being excessively pass heavy can lead to bad results.  The Giants are off to an 0-2 start because they can't run the ball and Eli has thrown like 58 picks.

Again, you are mistaking an outcome with causation,. Theissmann? Winning teams run the ball late in games after the outcome is decided or if they're trying to run out the clock. But they got ahead by passing. .

Bugg's point that teams that are ahead run the ball a lot to finish off games may be relevant here.  Though I do know that pass-heavy teams like the Saints and Pats are typically among the league leaders in rush attempts inside the 10 yard line year in and year out.

Of those 7 teams (Seattle, Pats, Redskins, 9'ers, Texans, Vikings, Denver) - 4 of them were in the lowest 5 teams of pass attempts in the league (Seattle, San Fran, Minn, Redskins).

Again, you are mistaking an outcome with causation,. Theissmann? Winning teams run the ball late in games after the outcome is decided or if they're trying to run out the clock. But they got ahead by passing. .

Actually, I'm not.  See my post above in response to 80.

4 of the 7 teams were the lowest in the league in pass attempts.

Teams that led the league in pass attempts.

Detroit

Saints

Cowboys

Pats

Raiders

Colts

Eagles - (hey Marty M.)

Falcons

Cardinals

Broncos

By my count, thats 4 teams.  Ironically, they are the only 4 teams with a winning record on that list (and 2 of them, were top 10 in rushing attempts). 

You are way off on this Bugg.  Go rewatch the pats game if you can and come back and tell me we couldnt run the ball. we gashed them good...

Teams that led the league in pass attempts.

Detroit

Saints

Cowboys

Pats

Raiders

Colts

Eagles - (hey Marty M.)

Falcons

Cardinals

Broncos

By my count, thats 4 teams.  Ironically, they are the only 4 teams with a winning record on that list (and 2 of them, were top 10 in rushing attempts). 

Maybe the teams attempting to pass just aren't very good at it ;)

Here is the blasphemy; count me as heretic. Running the ball has a negligible contribution to winning NFL games unless you're ahead and you're running out the clock. Joe Theissmann for years babbled about "Team X wins most of their games when the run the ball 30+ times, so run the ball all game". That is confusing an outcome wtih causation. Winning teams run the ball only because they are in such positions. Of course, we aren't allowed to look at the numbers and say that. Teams run a lot because they're ahead and they want to change things up a bit to set up the pass. Nobody is winning tons of games with 4 18 play 90 yard 8 1st down drives. There is too much that ahs to go right to do that. A few 30+ yard passes work way better.There is no point to running all day at Ngata, Wilfork and Hampton. Better to force teams to respect the pass. They're winning because their offense passes effectively and scores TDs. In Morninweg's dreams he has at least a QB who can do this. The SNY crew is all over him about "getting away from the run" which is faulty logic.I am at least encouraged that while the Jets' passing attack is so far lacking the OC seems to understand what has to be done to turn things around.

But at the same time, pounding the ball down Buffalo's throat has gotten the W.

Anyway if we are in the passing era, I feel like the great teams of the league are running a PS3 type passing offense, and we wanted to get our foot in the door so we got a Sega. It'd better than the PacMan offense we used to run but we are not part of the club yet. I would like to see a modern OC bring us into the new age.

I do believe your hatred for Rex has caused you to be unbiased when it comes to this topic; seattle and san fran, two of the best teams in the league, are absolutely predicated on playing awesome defense and running the ball.  Yes, they can throw the ball, but they are 100% built on the two points you are condemning Rex for.  

Yes, they can throw the ball, but they are 100% built on the two points you are condemning Rex for.  

Yep.  And Idzik came from those very Seahawks who depend heavily on Marshawn Lynch.  And as soon as Idzik arrived he bolstered the defense, offensive line, and running game. 

Bottom line is that every team does things differently.  Some teams who are extremely pass-heavy do so because they HAVE to be, either because they have no running game or because they're always trailing.  There's no one way to run an offense.  Personally, I prefer a balance that is predicated on the strengths of the team and the flow of the game.  A rookie QB's best friend can be a running game.  Just look at how Alfred Morris helped RG3 last season (and, yes, vice versa).

I think this week we'll see more of Chris Ivory.  Last week we only had 4 days to prepare for the Pats and it seems like Mornhinweg was going to come out throwing regardless against a team whose secondary hasn't been any good for a long time.  With 11 days to prepare for this game and with 2 rookie QB's playing, the team who makes fewer mistakes and runs the ball effectively could come out as the winner.

Yep.  And Idzik came from those very Seahawks who depend heavily on Marshawn Lynch.  And as soon as Idzik arrived he bolstered the defense, offensive line, and running game. 

Bottom line is that every team does things differently.  Some teams who are extremely pass-heavy do so because they HAVE to be, either because they have no running game or because they're always trailing.  There's no one way to run an offense.  Personally, I prefer a balance that is predicated on the strengths of the team and the flow of the game.  A rookie QB's best friend can be a running game.  Just look at how Alfred Morris helped RG3 last season (and, yes, vice versa).

I think this week we'll see more of Chris Ivory.  Last week we only had 4 days to prepare for the Pats and it seems like Mornhinweg was going to come out throwing regardless against a team whose secondary hasn't been any good for a long time.  With 11 days to prepare for this game and with 2 rookie QB's playing, the team who makes fewer mistakes and runs the ball effectively could come out as the winner.

You really think Idzik bolstered the running game?  The moves on the Oline appear to be lateral at best.  He did invest heavily in developmental draft picks, but other than Winters he didn't add much.  Colon is a low dollar move and constant injury risk.  The RBs were all fairly low level pick ups. I like Ivory, but I don't see him as investing in a running game that lost Shonn Greene. They needed a 1 back and they didn't get a slam dunk.  The Mornhinweg hire certainly doesn't indicate a desire to rely on a strong run game, but I'm not sure I'd classify that as an Idzik hire..

It is a passing game nowadays and I have no problem with the Jets passing more, however in certain situations it is foolish not to run the ball, such as in 3 point game when you are gashing the other team for a 5 yard per carry average (like against NE).  It would also greatly help a young QB with the play action so that the pass rushers don't just pin their ears back. 

I hope thats not the case because thats Schotty Jr. sh*t all over again.

Raining, on the road with a rookie QB, your gashing their DL in the run game, yet your coming out on 1st down with no RB's in the backfield.  If anything, a shorter week under all those circumstances, they should have put more emphasis on the running game, especially when it was effective all game long.  

We know MM is pass happy OC but you've got to adjust with the game.  There was really no reason to have Geno dropping back as much as we were, as well as the D was playing, in the pouring down rain while our WR's were dropping passes left and right.

This week's game is all about turnovers.  The teams are pretty equally matched, with the Bills having better weaponz.  If the Jets can get Geno and comp. to take care of the ball, while Rex gets EJ to force a couple of bad throws and takes advantage of it with some INT's or fumbles, the Jets will win.

If the Jets continue to fumble and throw picks, they'll lose.  Its that simple and no different than its been every single game under Rex Ryan.  Dont **** up and he'll win the game with outstanding defense.  Seems so simple, yet its so damn hard for some reason.  

Archived