Fierce Pass Rush Leading Charge for Jets

flgreen

Fierce pass rush leading charge for Jets

Published: September 23, 2013 10:37 PM

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN  kimberley.martin@newsday.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The choice is yours.

Muhammad Wilkerson. Sheldon Richardson. Quentin Coples. Or anybody else in the Jets' front seven.

For the first time in the five-season Rex Ryan era, the Jets have a legitimate pass rush that doesn't rely solely on heavy blitzing. Bills rookie EJ Manuel learned that the hard way, getting sacked eight times.

"Offensive coordinators have to pick their poison if they want to double-team somebody,'' said Wilkerson, who was in on six tackles (two for a loss), two sacks, a forced fumble and five quarterback hits in the Jets' 27-20 win at MetLife Stadium.

Here's the dilemma for opposing teams: Put two guys on Wilkerson and that leaves the rookie Richardson one on one. Double-team Richardson and that opens the door for Wilkerson, Coples or linebackers Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes and David Harris.

For the first time since 1988 (against Phil Simms and the Giants), the Jets made eight sacks, and they also hit Manuel 16 times. But whereas in the past Ryan had to work overtime to produce that kind of pressure, he now has a young, athletic line hunting quarterbacks for sport.

"At the end of the day, Rex is Rex, so he's going to call his blitzes still,'' Wilkerson told Newsday Monday. "But now you have four guys who can go get the quarterback.

"It's like, put everything on our shoulders. You're basically telling the four guys up front, go end the game.''

The Jets' offense held its own against the Bills, with Geno Smith, Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill and Bilal Powell all having career days. Said Ryan: "This is the first time in Jets history that we had a 300-yard passer, 100-yard rusher and two 100-yard receivers in a game.'' But Smith is still in the midst of rookie growing pains, and that means the defense must continue to be on point until the offense gets more comfortable.

And Ryan's unit -- especially his line -- is happy to oblige.

"He uses every athletic ability that every player on defense has and he takes advantage of it in some way,'' Richardson, who had a sack and four tackles, told Newsday. "I love him for it. I always wanted to be with a coach where you didn't have shackles. And now I'm shackle-free.''

As tackle Leger Douzable said Sunday: "If they don't score, we win.'' And while shutting down offenses, the Jets hope to shut up their critics.

"We want people to keep doubting us,'' Douzable added. "We're going to keep proving them wrong. Nobody thought we could be a top-five defense.''

The Jets woke up ysterday morning with the fourth-best defense in the NFL. But even that wasn't good enough.

"Nah, that's too low for his standards,'' Richardson said of Ryan, who has said the goal was a top-five defense. "He wants to be the top defense. Period. And we're striving to be it.''

So No. 4 is no good?

"Still too low,'' Richardson said. "Still too low.''

"Nah, that's too low for his standards,'' Richardson said of Ryan, who has said the goal was a top-five defense. "He wants to be the top defense. Period. And we're striving to be it.''

So No. 4 is no good?

"Still too low,'' Richardson said. "Still too low.''

<3 this kid.

The Dline is special, to bad we don't have DBs to go with it. This D would be number 1.

Can't be perfect everywhere.  We used to invest in secondary more than the front 7 and now that is reversed.  I think our DB's are fine.  Next offseason we can bring in an impact safety with one of our 87 draft picks or trillion dollars in cap space.

The Dline is special, to bad we don't have DBs to go with it. This D would be number 1.

Cro's  good.  He's not 2010 Revis good, but he's a good #1.  Milliner is going to get better.   The safety's are  adequate.

They aren't going to hold for 5+ seconds as they did in the past.  These big guys up front are going to be on  QB's  fast.  The DB's will start getting turn overs if the pressure continues. 

I disagree. I think Cro is playing very well. Milliner is coming around. He's screwed up a few times because he's a rookie and I think Rex is still pissed off at him for missing so much of training camp. Besides, I would rather have a ferocious D-line. We had Revis for five seasons. As the Bucs are finding out, he's a great corner for sure, but is he a game changer? No. Can he carry an entire defense on his shoulders? No. Is he the reason your team goes to the Superbowl or even makes the playoffs? No.

I think the Jets even have an outside shot at a wildcard because of their D-line. Jets still need a playmaker on offense, though, but without Sanchez, we finally have some sort of vertical passing game.

I disagree. I think Cro is playing very well. Milliner is coming around. He's screwed up a few times because he's a rookie and I think Rex is still pissed off at him for missing so much of training camp. Besides, I would rather have a ferocious D-line. We had Revis for five seasons. As the Bucs are finding out, he's a great corner for sure, but is he a game changer? No. Can he carry an entire defense on his shoulders? No. Is he the reason your team goes to the Superbowl or even makes the playoffs? No.

I think the Jets even have an outside shot at a wildcard because of their D-line. Jets still need a playmaker on offense, though, but without Sanchez, we finally have some sort of vertical passing game.

Have to agree. Replace a great CB with an adequate one, and an adequate DT with a great one, and you've probably improved your defense. The Jets' secondary is definitely still adequate, especially when you get to the nickel and dime packages. The difference now is that the Jets can still get to the QB dropping seven guys back in the dime.

And while this story is all about getting to the passer, the Jets' very athletic and fast front seven has also been crushing opponents' running games. Very fun to watch.

We have CBs just not great safeties. Plus, Rex is stubborn and wants his draft picks to play when Darrin Walls has been probably our best CB this season.

He benched Milliner and Walls has gotten more than his fair share of opportunities out there.  Agree that he needs to officially pass Wilson on the depth chart though.

False!

False!

False!

The Jets DO NOT make the playoffs in 2009, and they DO NOT beat the Chargers in the 2nd round in 2009 without Revis, he changed that game (game changer) with that insane INT while blanketing, and shutting down V Jackson all afternoon, without that the Jets lose that game no doubt!  2010 Revis single handedly won the Jets to games by locking down C Johnson, and A Johnson in consecutive heart stopping wins, if either of those 2 do any damage at all the Jets never win either game, in an OT win against Det C Johnson 1 catch 9 yards, think about a guy holding him to 1 catch in man to man zero coverage, it's almost unthinkable, and he kept A Johnson in check the next week holding him to 3 catches for 30 yards, all 3 harmless underneath garbage.  Then in the 2010 playoffs he took R Wayne away from Manning the only healthy option for the Colts at WR, if Wayne isn't blanketed no way Manning doesn't score more than 16 points. 

Listen you want to say he isn't worth the money fine (I still disagree for a team like the Jets who won't be paying a franchise QB that kind of money after this season for at least 3 more years if not longer), but he is a game changer, he is a guy who can carry you to a playoff berth, and single handley win you a playoff game, he has proven all of those things, just because he doesn't show up on the box score doesn't mean he isn't changing the outcome of the games, when a team has their best offensive recieving threat taken away from them, they will struggle to win if they don't have a 2nd option that is dangerous, and most teams don't.  The Bucs are not stupid for trading for Revis, and giving him that money just so they can hit the salary cap floor, they are stupid for not using him the proper way locking down the opposing teams top threat all day long.

Wilson was actually playing better this year until h lost his damn mind. Hopefully he finds it.  100% agree some help at safety makes this D top 3 for a vry long time. Best part?  They are young.  

It kudos to my boy Rex Ryan.  Dude is rolling out 7 new starters on defense, 2 rookies and is straight shutting sh*t down.  The guy is just an incredible coach.  We're very lucky fans  

Personally I am glad the Jets let Mevis go.  Exceptional player with a lot of talent, I agree.  However, not worth the $16M per year.  I agree TB is not using him properly.  He may also not be fully back from his injury.  Who knows?  What I do know if Wilson is not my favorite Jet.  Yet, we are stuck with him.  Right now I will stick with the formula of throwing on #20 and #27 and running the ball towards #97 as the way to beat the Jets.  Well, that is if your QB is not on his back 8 times a game  :)

He benched Milliner and Walls has gotten more than his fair share of opportunities out there.  Agree that he needs to officially pass Wilson on the depth chart though.

We need to commit to converting Wilson to safety.  Turning him into a project is OK because we have Walls and Lankster to handle duties while Milliner figures out what he's doing.

Listen I understand Wilson had a really stupid bone headed sequence during that TD drive for the Bills, and the stupid celebrating is very annoying on overthrown balls that a WR had no chance to catch, but that is all most of you see, and look at.  If you actually look at Wilson's play as a whole this season he is by far a better CB #2 than at least 50%-75% of the league the way he is playing, and don't forget he is asked to cover with zero help man to man more than most CB's in this league.  There is no disputing he needs to mature mentally, but if you look at the big picture the kid is much improved, and having a good season overall, we are just so spoiled by what Revis was able to do, hell even a lesser extent Cromartie, and he was even killed at times because he actually gives up a few big receptions from time to time, why because again we were spoiled by watching one of th best ever in man to man coverage, and expected nothing but that from all of our CB's, and in this league with these passing favored rules, every CB will get burnt multiple times a game except for the rare few, and we have to start remembering this when we watch Wilson give up a reception from time to time.

The Jets are currently being proven right about trading Revis; the lack luster performance of the Buccaneers thus far is showing that no corner is worth 16 million a year. Even if Revis' play is going to get him a place in the HoF that doesn't translate into team wins on its own. What's really going to be interesting is if the Bucs blow the whole thing up after the season, and a new GM or coach comes in and decides that they need to clear cap space and decides to ax Revis' 16 million a year contract (remember, Revis signed for no guaranteed money so I believe the Bucs wouldn't have any cap hit). Imagine if after this year, a humbled Revis is a free agent and the Jets have the opportunity to bring him back for significantly less money. It really isn't out of the question when you consider how much turmoil the Bucs organization is going to be in if they have an abysmal season with a troubled locker room.

But with that said, I think we're showing that we simply don't need Revis to be successful defensively, we showed that to some degree after his injury last year, but I have not seen the Jets defense look this good since 2009 or the colts and patriots playoff games.

We have CBs just not great safeties. Plus, Rex is stubborn and wants his draft picks to play when Darrin Walls has been probably our best CB this season.

I like Darren Walls and he has been playing well, but best CB?  How much has he even played?  Rex is so stubborn that he has pulled Milliner and constantly mixes and matches the back end CBs (Lankster, Trufant, Walls apparently based on match-ups).  Sure he stuck with Wilson a little too long, but those penalties were an aberration not the normal course of business. 

It kudos to my boy Rex Ryan.  Dude is rolling out 7 new starters on defense, 2 rookies and is straight shutting sh*t down.  The guy is just an incredible coach.  We're very lucky fans  

Now imagine what this D could be doing if the Jets just trusted K Wilson could handle CB #2 for a year, and drafted Richardson at 9, and K Vaccaro at 13, Safety was by far the much more needed position on this defense, and his brother Rob is using Vaccaro like a young Ed Reed, dude is straight balling for the Saints in Ryan's defensive schemes.

Now imagine what this D could be doing if the Jets just trusted K Wilson could handle CB #2 for a year, and drafted Richardson at 9, and K Vaccaro at 13, Safety was by far the much more needed position on this defense, and his brother Rob is using Vaccaro like a young Ed Reed, dude is straight balling for the Saints in Ryan's defensive schemes.

Meh, I'm not big on could of would of should of scenario's.  I like what I'm seeing here.  Its clear, Rex has never put value on a safety the way the fans want him too.  

The Jets are currently being proven right about trading Revis; the lack luster performance of the Buccaneers thus far is showing that no corner is worth 16 million a year. Even if Revis' play is going to get him a place in the HoF that doesn't translate into team wins on its own. What's really going to be interesting is if the Bucs blow the whole thing up after the season, and a new GM or coach comes in and decides that they need to clear cap space and decides to ax Revis' 16 million a year contract (remember, Revis signed for no guaranteed money so I believe the Bucs wouldn't have any cap hit). Imagine if after this year, a humbled Revis is a free agent and the Jets have the opportunity to bring him back for significantly less money. It really isn't out of the question when you consider how much turmoil the Bucs organization is going to be in if they have an abysmal season with a troubled locker room.

But with that said, I think we're showing that we simply don't need Revis to be successful defensively, we showed that to some degree after his injury last year, but I have not seen the Jets defense look this good since 2009 or the colts and patriots playoff games.

First the Bucs have tons of Cap space, they needed to give Revis every cent of that 16 million just to reach the salary cap floor, 2nd IF Revis ever hits the open market I GUARANTEE 1. he will never sign with the Jets as long as Woody Johnson owns this team, and 2. Bill Belicheck will have an open offer with Revis' bank account info to transfer the funds to with in minutes of Revis hitting the open market, you guys have no idea how good this kid truley is when used properly.

Meh, I'm not big on could of would of should of scenario's.  I like what I'm seeing here.  Its clear, Rex has never put value on a safety the way the fans want him too.  

Might be just a case of having the pleasure of having an Ed Reed, and after that it might be tough to even scout a Safety, and go Meh he isn't anything special.  He was big on having the thumpers, but Reed could do both thump, and play CF better than anyone ever.  One day Rex is going to have to sure that Safety position up thou, Cromartie isn't going to be great much longer, and the man to man coverage will dry up quick, and without a good Safey baiting QB's in to big game changing INT's, or game changing FF's from monster hits the secondary will get chewed up more frequently by the better QB's, and offensive lines in this league. 

Might be just a case of having the pleasure of having an Ed Reed, and after that it might be tough to even scout a Safety, and go Meh he isn't anything special.  He was big on having the thumpers, but Reed could do both thump, and play CF better than anyone ever.  One day Rex is going to have to sure that Safety position up thou, Cromartie isn't going to be great much longer, and the man to man coverage will dry up quick, and without a good Safey baiting QB's in to big game changing INT's, or game changing FF's from monster hits the secondary will get chewed up more frequently by the better QB's, and offensive lines in this league. 

I don't disagree, but I think in the near term we should expect to see better play from Cro.  He seemed not so hindered by his hip injury against the Bills.  No reason to think he's about to go into a long term serious decline.  Perhaps you meant to say the "Much longer" is in another couple of seasons, but for now the success of the Jets' CB's is more on Milliner's shoulders than Cromartie's.

First the Bucs have tons of Cap space, they needed to give Revis every cent of that 16 million just to reach the salary cap floor, 2nd IF Revis ever hits the open market I GUARANTEE 1. he will never sign with the Jets as long as Woody Johnson owns this team, and 2. Bill Belicheck will have an open offer with Revis' bank account info to transfer the funds to with in minutes of Revis hitting the open market, you guys have no idea how good this kid truley is when used properly.

Whether the Jets made the right move in trading Revis or not, it is not proven they did because TB has not figured out how to use him, and in general seems to be a very poorly run team right now.  It seems premature to say the Jets were right to trade him when the weakest part of an otherwise exceptional D seems to be teh secondary.

I am not worried about saving Woody money.  Next year the Jets will have plenty of cap space.   If they use it well, if Milliner steps up, if Wilson proves he deserves a new contract extension, and the secondary holds up its end of the D, then maybe we can say the trade was a good move.  I don't think the appearance that the new TB CS is without a clue means it was the right move.

I think, this day in age, having a great safety is a luxury and not a necessity.  I'd certainly never draft a safety in the first round let alone, a top 15 pick. With the rules of the NFL, the Safety position just isnt a position of value anymore.  They get flagged for everything they do. 

Dont get me wrong, watching Landry last year was a joy and having a great safety helps...but I just dont see it a position of investment this day in age.  

Whether the Jets made the right move in trading Revis or not, it is not proven they did because TB has not figured out how to use him, and in general seems to be a very poorly run team right now.  It seems premature to say the Jets were right to trade him when the weakest part of an otherwise exceptional D seems to be teh secondary.

I am not worried about saving Woody money.  Next year the Jets will have plenty of cap space.   If they use it well, if Milliner steps up, if Wilson proves he deserves a new contract extension, and the secondary holds up its end of the D, then maybe we can say the trade was a good move.  I don't think the appearance that the new TB CS is without a clue means it was the right move.

I just don't see why you don't just give that $$$$ to Revis, we didn't save anything on this years cap by trading him, we actually lost cap space, and like you said with all that cap space next year, and no Franchise QB contract on the books for at least 3 years, there is no reason to not pay Revis the money on an extension for 3 years starting next season, imagine having Revis instead of Milliner right now, man that would be teh awesome!

I think, this day in age, having a great safety is a luxury and not a necessity.  I'd certainly never draft a safety in the first round let alone, a top 15 pick. With the rules of the NFL, the Safety position just isnt a position of value anymore.  They get flagged for everything they do. 

Dont get me wrong, watching Landry last year was a joy and having a great safety helps...but I just dont see it a position of investment this day in age.  

I some what agree, but I am talking more in lines of a playmaking Safety as far as going to get the ball, baiting QB's to throw to what appears to be an open WR, not the thumping big hitting type, someone like the Honey Badger, and Vaccaro are guys that are all over the field making plays on the ball not the man, that is the kind of Safety this D is missing IMO.

I wonder if the Honey Badger didn't get picked 2 spots in front of the Jets in the 3rd round if they would have pulled the trigger, he had to fit the bill as BPA on the Jets board IF he wasn't thrown out totally because of off the field issues.

I don't disagree, but I think in the near term we should expect to see better play from Cro.  He seemed not so hindered by his hip injury against the Bills.  No reason to think he's about to go into a long term serious decline.  Perhaps you meant to say the "Much longer" is in another couple of seasons, but for now the success of the Jets' CB's is more on Milliner's shoulders than Cromartie's.

Yes I am talking 2015, and beyond.  Would be nice to have a Safety already developed.

Archived