Cimini: Rex May Steal From Brother

flgreen

Green Day: Rex may steal from brother

October, 4, 2013

OCT 4

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan may borrow a page from his brother's defensive playbook Monday night in an attempt to slow down Atlanta Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez.

In the season opener, Rob Ryan, defensive coordinator of the New Orleans Saints, shut down the most prolific tight end in history by jamming at the line with two players. They held him to three catches for 36 yards and a touchdown.

The New England Patriots used the same technique in the final minute of last Sunday night's game.

The Falcons, down by a touchdown, had four shots from the Patriots' 13-yard line, but they failed to score. On three of the four plays, they double-jammed Gonzalez at the line. It was pretty remarkable; he was like a gunner being doubled on punt coverage. On the one play he wasn't doubled at the line, the Patriots used a two-man, bracket coverage -- an incomplete pass to Gonzalez.

Gonzalez finished with a career-high 149 yards, but he couldn't deliver in crunch time. The Falcons' red-zone woes continued, and they lost, 30-23.

Asked about the Gonzalez coverage on the final drive, Rex Ryan smiled.

"I certainly saw it against New Orleans as well," he said. "I saw that coverage. [The Patriots] might have seen it, too. So I think I'll give my brother credit for that one first."

Ryan doesn't have fond personal memories of Gonzalez. In the 14th game of the 2009 season, Gonzalez caught a 6-yard touchdown pass in the final minute, lifting the Falcons to a 10-7 win. Afterward, Ryan infamously proclaimed the Jets had been eliminated from playoff contention. He can laugh about now because they made it and reached the AFC Championship Game.

"I knew we'd make the playoffs that year," he joked. "It kind of worked out for us. Another guarantee that I made that never came out.

ICYMI: The Jets are dealing with a handful of key injuries. On Thursday, WR Santonio Holmes, WR Stephen Hill, CB Dee Milliner and RB Chris Ivory didn't practice. Officially, no one has been ruled out, but Holmes is out for sure. Hill and Milliner are not expected to play. Ivory probably is less than 50-50. ... Tone being Tone: "I can't throw it to myself and catch it. Otherwise, I would." You get that?

... One last time, Ryan talks about the color-coded wrist band that won't see the light of day. ... As expected, Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples will appeal their fines for the hit on Tennessee Titans QB Jake Locker. ... Check out the Week 5 "Gang Green Report," with insider stuff on Jets-Falcons.

That's great.  What his game plan for stopping Cro from getting abused by Julio Jones? 

The only way the Jets stand a chance in this game is having the front 7 ball out of control and get another handful+ sacks and force some turnovers. Otherwise, this is going to be an absolute blow out.

That's great.  What his game plan for stopping Cro from getting abused by Julio Jones? 

The only way the Jets stand a chance in this game is having the front 7 ball out of control and get another handful+ sacks and force some turnovers. Otherwise, this is going to be an absolute blow out.

But we haz Rex.

I can't wait to see Cro giving Julio Jones 10 yards of space on man coverage

That's great. What his game plan for stopping Cro from getting abused by Julio Jones?

Hater. Negative.

But we haz Rex.

Can Rex play man coverage better than Cro?   

I can't wait to see Cro giving Julio Jones 10 yards of space on man coverage

Cro has been dogsh*t this season.  I expect a physical receiver like Jones to bitch slap him the same way VJax did.  

Hater. Negative.

If you say so.

Can Rex play man coverage better than Cro?   

Cro has been dogsh*t this season.  I expect a physical receiver like Jones to bitch slap him the same way VJax did.  

If you say so.

If only we could give Rex Pro-Bowl talent at every defensive position, then we would be able to see the true mastermind he is as a defensive coordinator.

I'm surprised by JiF's lack of faith in the D.  Rex will find a way.

I dont have a lack of faith in the D.  I have a lack of faith in Cro.  He's been absolute sh*t thus far and Julio Jones is the exact type of receiver who will absolutely whip his ass.  Think week 1 vs. VJax with a 100x better QB.

I dont have a lack of faith in the D.  I have a lack of faith in Cro.  He's been absolute sh*t thus far and Julio Jones is the exact type of receiver who will absolutely whip his ass.  Think week 1 vs. VJax with a 100x better QB.

word. whats up with cro? Injuries? he played awesome last year and now hes playing like san diego cro. julio scares me as does kyle wilson or whoever is covering white. not worried about their running game at all. we  gotta hope our dline gets some pressure on the qb, if not matt ryan is gona light us up.

If only we could give Rex Pro-Bowl talent at every defensive position, then we would be able to see the true mastermind he is as a defensive coordinator.

or an offense thast doesn't turn the ball over 4 times a game 

He doesn't need Pro Bowlers at every position. He just needs three or four more special talents that can slow down the elite players like Jake Locker.

word. whats up with cro? Injuries? he played awesome last year and now hes playing like san diego cro. julio scares me as does kyle wilson or whoever is covering white. not worried about their running game at all. we gotta hope our dline gets some pressure on the qb, if not matt ryan is gona light us up.

I might be imagining this, but Cro looks bigger to me. did he gain weight this offseason? he could have lost a step.

a Mumps Quarantine?

Archived