Idzik, Rex, Geno: Grade 'em through 7 weeks

Jetsfan80

John Idzik:  A

No cap space?  No problem.  We'll get some dividends out of scrap heap types like Kellen Winslow and Willie Colon.  Too many holes to fill?  Not a problem, we'll take the best available player and hope for the best.  It only netted us DROY candidate Sheldon Richardson, OROY candidate Geno Smith, nasty starting LG Brian Winters, and an equally nasty runner in Chris Ivory via trade. 

Idzik's job this offseason was to strip down the roster to make room for young players.  In a rebuilding year where upwards of $50 million in cap space and double-digit draft picks approached the following offseason, this wasn't supposed to be a good roster.  Yet here we sit with a very young team but also a very talented one with perhaps many fewer holes than we once thought.  And if the answer to the question "What is the Jets' biggest need entering next offseason?" is not "Quarterback", that more than anything makes Idzik look like a genius.

Rex Ryan:  B+

Most penalties in the league (9.1 per game).  Some boneheaded challenges and clock management issues that shouldn't be happening in a Head Coach's 5th season.  This has led to a fair amount of inconsistency, as two of the Jets' three losses were quite ugly.  These are legitimate concerns for Rex, who is coaching for his job. 

But perhaps this is picking nits?  For a rebuilding team to be competitive in 5 of it's first 7 games and win 4, against a highly challenging schedule, is impressive.  And that comes down to strong coaching.  Each of the Jets' wins has been more impressive than the last.  Going on the road to upset Atlanta BEFORE Julio Jones' injury, then bouncing back from a bad Steelers loss to knock off the Patriots, show that this team still has a high ceiling under Rex Ryan.

And while I mentioned earlier the solid talent that Rex was handed immediately by his new GM, we should also consider some of the previous unknowns that are performing at a high level.  Damon Harrison, Antonio Allen, and Darrin Walls in particular come to mind.  The Jets have the 2nd youngest roster in the league, which probably plays a big role in all the penalties (For instance the Rams, the youngest team in the NFL, average a high 7.7 penalties per game).  So while the growing pains were expected, the immediate success was not.  This gives Rex a solid grade. 

Geno Smith:  B+

Geno Smith is displaying everything that one might expect a talented, raw rookie to be showing.  He's had a couple of truly dreadful games, but has also showed a ton of promise, especially in pressure situations.  He's statistically one of the top 5 deep ball throwers in the NFL through 7 weeks.  He has led game-winning drives at the end of each of the four Jet victories.  His combination of talent and poise is something not seen in a Jet QB for a very long time.  

So what are we to make of him?  Do we ignore his performances against Tennessee and Pittsburgh?  No.  But the overall body of work is quite strong.  He already appears to be the best QB of the 2013 draft class.  He's won an Offensive Player of the Week honor, over Peyton Manning no less when he led the Broncos to 51 points over the Cowboys.  And he's a top candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year. 

So will Geno end up an elite QB?  Perhaps not.  But the fact that we can't count this out yet through 7 weeks is a good thing.  Some QB's you can tell very early if they don't have it or not.  Geno is not one of those guys.  More often than not he has looked the part of a veteran QB.  For a team that hasn't had a true franchise QB since perhaps Joe Namath, this is exciting news on its own.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure there will be days for criticism in his future.  But that day is not today.

I'd give Idzik an INCOMPLETE, because his work really doesn't begin until next season. But if I had to give him a grade right now, it would be much closer to a C than an A.

Garrard coming back or not, he completely misread that situation and left the team dangerously thin at QB to start the season.

A forth rounder for Ivory is still a questionable deal at best. His been hurt -just like he frequently was in NO- and only has 219 yards in six games for a 3.2 yard average.

Another misread: Goodson. Who does the background checks for the new boss? Because signing a guy who then promptly gets himself suspended from the league isn't a great move. He looked great on the field, though, right before he ended his year with an injury. Idzik gave him $1.3M this year, and they got 80 yards of offense out of him.

His #1 pick has not impressed so far at all at a position where the Jets could really use some help.

On the plus side, Richardson is a beast and Geno shows genuine potential, but his overall performance has not been A grade. The draft was his best work, but a lot of that work was done by people he's since let go or reassigned. Part of the incomplete grade would be waiting to see how his front office hires pan out.

I'd give Idzik an INCOMPLETE, because his work really doesn't begin until next season. But if I had to give him a grade right now, it would be much closer to a C than an A.

Garrard coming back or not, he completely misread that situation and left the team dangerously thin at QB to start the season.

A forth rounder for Ivory is still a questionable deal at best. His been hurt -just like he frequently was in NO- and only has 219 yards in six games for a 3.2 yard average.

Another misread: Goodson. Who does the background checks for the new boss? Because signing a guy who then promptly gets himself suspended from the league isn't a great move. He looked great on the field, though, right before he ended his year with an injury. Idzik gave him $1.3M this year, and they got 80 yards of offense out of him.

His #1 pick has not impressed so far at all at a position where the Jets could really use some help.

On the plus side, Richardson is a beast and Geno shows genuine potential, but his overall performance has not been A grade. The draft was his best work, but a lot of that work was done by people he's since let go or reassigned. Part of the incomplete grade would be waiting to see how his front office hires pan out.

Starters from 2013 draft: Milliner, Richardson, Smith, Winters, Bohannon.

starters from acquisitions: Landry, Ivory, Winslow, Colon

ESPN team rank preseason: 32nd

current record: 4-3 with a win over the Pats

Garrard, Goodson, etc.?  Super cheap and very talented gambles made necessary by having obnoxiously bloated contracts left over from the Tannenbaum era, and no cap space. 

Idzik is a true GM and a good one from what I've seen so far.  When I think of Tanny's ridiculous personnel moves, it bumps this dude up to an "A".  You want to complain about a 4th rounder for Ivory?  Remember  what Tim Tebow cost?  All hail Idzik, who may well be mediocre, but mediocre is a huge upgrade for now.  In three years we may be calling him one of the best GMs in football.

The Jets currently have a leading candidate for OROY and a leading candidate for DROY.  The same team hasn't had both awards since the Lions in the 1960's.  Not to mention the Winters pick is looking good right now too.  I fail to see how this gets him closer to a C than an A. 

You admit that Goodson looked great on the field, but blame Idzik for the injury?  And while Ivory leaves a lot to be desired as a pass-catching RB, he looks like a good runner that can both push the pile AND outrun some people.  I don't think there's much to complain about at RB.

This is pretty much how I feel and I agree with pretty much all of this. The only thing I would add is I though he did a fantastic job in handling the Revis situation. I was against the Milner pick from the start, between his injury situation and the fact that we had already invested so much into the corner position. Richardson is a monster, but as you said this are not his scouts.

I could argue Geno either way, on one hand, Idzig was pretty fortunate that a guy he had rated so highly fell to him where he did, and I might argue that if he was rated so highly, and at the QB position no less, he maybe should have been more agrressive in going after him earlier. 

Sometimes people make the wrong move, and it works out, sometimes they make the right move and it does not work out.

At this point in time I am optoimistic about Idzig, but I don't see how anyone can give him anything more than an incomplete.

This is pretty much how I feel and I agree with pretty much all of this. The only thing I would add is I though he did a fantastic job in handling the Revis situation. I was against the Milner pick from the start, between his injury situation and the fact that we had already invested so much into the corner position. Richardson is a monster, but as you said this are not his scouts.

I could argue Geno either way, on one hand, Idzig was pretty fortunate that a guy he had rated so highly fell to him where he did, and I might argue that if he was rated so highly, and at the QB position no less, he maybe should have been more agrressive in going after him earlier. 

Sometimes people make the wrong move, and it works out, sometimes they make the right move and it does not work out.

At this point in time I am optoimistic about Idzig, but I don't see how anyone can give him anything more than an incomplete.

At least spell his name correctly.

Few rebuttal points:

1) Ivory is looking pretty good right about now.  If we hadn't brought him in, we probably lose to NE.  In another few weeks, if he keeps it up, nobody will remember or care about the first few weeks healing up.  I saw more out of him Sunday than I did out of Shonn Green in about two years.

2) Goodson looked really interesting in his one game.  No guaranteed money and only a $1MM signing bonus over 3 years (so $667k dead money if cut after season).  Didn't cost a draft pick.  Low-risk gamble that might net some value next season if he comes back healthy.  Can't knock that pickup as we weren't betting the farm on him being the starter anyway.

3) When he brought Garrard in, he still had a healthy Sanchez and unknown in Geno.  Despite what many here want to believe, I don't think Garrard was ever going to be more than a #3.  Having him 'retire' was inconvenient but hardly a major whiff.  It only even mattered when Sanchez went to IR.

4) The Milliner pick does not look good right now.  He was the consensus best CB in the draft and generally considered a top-10 pick so I don't think he was overdrafted.  Just doesn't look good so far.  Still a chance it turns around.

5) Credit him for Bohannon.  Nice contributor in the 7th round.

6) All of his veteran pickups were low-cost and some of them have worked out very well (Colon, Winslow until he got hurt).  That's all you can hope for and having no major cap hits next year on the misses is key. 

7) Morningwhig (sp?) was a great signing.  Not sure how much of it was Idzik or Rex, but everyone gets a gold star anyway.

So far, I see nothing other than Milliner to criticize and I'm good with an A- based on that. He's got this team going in the right direction.

That is a comment worthy of Mehta. 

The Jets currently have a leading candidate for OROY and a leading candidate for DROY.  The same team hasn't had both awards since the Lions in the 1960's.  Not to mention the Winters pick is looking good right now too.  I fail to see how this gets him closer to a C than an A. 

You admit that Goodson looked great on the field, but blame Idzik for the injury?  And while Ivory leaves a lot to be desired as a pass-catching RB, he looks like a good runner that can both push the pile AND outrun some people.  I don't think there's much to complain about at RB.

I said the draft was his best work, and also said he redid the front office after that draft.

Idzik has to swallow some responsibility for Goodson's suspension, and when players come back from such things they often get hurt. I'm not laying the injury on him, but it's a pickup that netted next to nothing. And Ivory has been pedestrian so far for that fourth round pick. The only reason not too complain too much about the RBs is that Powell is much better than Idzik thought when he made RB his top priority before the draft.

I like idzik so far, don't get me wrong, but the pedestal some of you have him on is ridiculously high.

That is a comment worthy of Mehta. 

Really? Interesting, so lets just say that the Eagles took him a few picks before the Jets, and Smith turns out to be a top 5 QB in the NFL, that IdziK (for 80) had rated as a top 15 player in the draft, and he could have moved up before the Eagles for say a 4th round pick in the same draft, that would have been good? He rolled the dice and he won, that does not mean rolling the dice was necessarily the right move.

I like idzik so far, don't get me wrong, but the pedestal some of you have him on is ridiculously high.

Mostly because the organization as a whole looks significantly less stupid now than it has in over a decade. Even before evaluating the personnel choices, you have to like the way the Jets do business under the Idzik regime.

Mostly because the organization as a whole looks significantly less stupid now than it has in over a decade. Even before evaluating the personnel choices, you have to like the way the Jets do business under the Idzik regime.

Actual results are far more important to me than perception, which is why I never once gave a crap what Rex Ryan might've said.

And of the three that Fanboy80 wants us to rate in this thread, it's Rex who's done the best job so far.

Actual results are far more important to me than perception, which is why I never once gave a crap what Rex Ryan might've said.

And of the three that Fanboy80 wants us to rate in this thread, it's Rex who's done the best job so far.

Rex has been bailed out by low expectations, having the Sanchez Option pulled off of his desk and having Santonio Holmes MD elect to not be around the team except for a few cameos. He's done a nice job getting this team to scrap it up in a bunch of games. That said, let's not make him out to be Bill Walsh, either.

As for "results," Idzik, with no cap space, has given Rex more to work with in one offseason than Tannenbaum gave him in the last three. Them's results.

I so agree with this. I don't get why everyone gets so hung up over Rex's trash talk and predictions. He has a roster of young players, and bargain basement vets playing at a high level.  He has his blemishes, but the guy is doing a fantastic job this year.

Idzik's free agent moves and trades have been a little shaky.  Colon has been very good, but the rest is meh.  But that's what you get when you  have to shop in the clearance aisle because you have no money to spend.  

His draft class has been very good.  5 rookie starters who have contributed greatly to wins.  That's impressive.

I so agree with this. I don't get why everyone gets so hung up over Rex's trash talk and predictions. He has a roster of young players, and bargain basement vets playing at a high level. He has his blemishes, but the guy is doing a fantastic job this year.

It's symptomatic of the lack of institutional control that led to scumbags and washouts like Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez assuming positions of power in the organization. There was a leadership vacuum on the team the past two seasons that isn't there now, and that's thanks to Idzik.

It's symptomatic of the lack of institutional control that led to scumbags and washouts like Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez assuming positions of power in the organization. There was a leadership vacuum on the team the past two seasons that isn't there now, and that's thanks to Idzik.

The sun came up this morning, and that's thanks to Idzik.

Idzik deserves a B to a B+, but not an A. Rex is a C to C - IMO, too inconsistent even with a rookie QB the team can't win two in a row, or even play well two weeks in a row. Geno gets a solid C+ and could finish the season with a B+ with an 8 or 9 win season. I don't feel that I am being overly harsh on Rex. It isn't just the offense that is inconsistent, his defense has had a bad game or two in there as well. Inconsistent is as inconsistent does.

The sun came up this morning, and that's thanks to Idzik.

Would you rather credit some catharsis that Rex may or may not have experienced, or the fact that an adult is now running the franchise? Because it's the same coach on the sidelines who hid under a bench when Holmes was staging a mutiny at midfield, and it's the same coach who couldn't bring himself to bench the worst statistical quarterback of all time for two years running.

The Ivory deal sucked and Milliner has been a disappointment, but enough with the Goodson thing already. He'd never been arrested in his life before May.

He's a talented guy who's bounced around in the league. His potential to fall asleep on the freeway in a car containing drugs and a gun probably played a role in that. Lol.

I liked him right from the start better than Ivory, though, and I hope he gets better and plays a full season next year. But I don't think it would've taken much of a background check on the guy to find a red flag or two.

It's week 7. Lets hold off on the Ivory deal sucking just yet. He's going to be a big part of what we do down the stretch.

Most of the NFL is struggling to run the ball.

I'm not too hopeful on Ivory. That running style is just not conducive to staying healthy at all.

He's a talented guy who's bounced around in the league. His potential to fall asleep on the freeway in a car containing drugs and a gun probably played a role in that. Lol.

He bounced around the league because he's undersized and fumbles all the time. I have no clue what "potential to fall asleep on the freeway in a car containing drugs and a gun" means, or how a background check would unearth it.

When we go 6-10, it's the GM's fault. When we replace the GM and start 4-3, it's because of Rex.

Tannenbaum was holding Rex back, so I guess Idzik gets credit for allowing Rex to bloom into the beautiful flower he is today.

Would you rather credit some catharsis that Rex may or may not have experienced, or the fact that an adult is now running the franchise? Because it's the same coach on the sidelines who hid under a bench when Holmes was staging a mutiny at midfield, and it's the same coach who couldn't bring himself to bench the worst statistical quarterback of all time for two years running.

There was no QB on the roster to turn to, unfortunately. He tried to move to McElroy last year, who promptly got hurt. Benching a bad guy for a worse one doesn't constitute brilliance in coaching, IMHO. QB was a priority this year, and Idzik muffed on Garrard but was fortunate to have Geno drop to him in the second.

Rex hired Mornhinweg, and appears to have a QB who can move the football (even if he can't be completely trusted just yet) in Geno. Those are the biggest differences between this year, and the last two, IMHO. Rex is the same coach. There's been no BS catharsis. He just finally filled (and/or had filled) the two biggest holes in the organization since he's been here. When he gets a couple more pieces next year - watch out!

Can we get some perspective here regarding this season? This team was two absolute fluke penalties against Tampa and NE from being 2-5 right now instead of 4-3. If this team is 2-5 right now everyone is talking about Rex being fired and tanking the rest of the season for a high draft pick. Instead we are ready to anoint the GM and HC into Canton and lock them both up for 10+ years.

He bounced around the league because he's undersized and fumbles all the time. I have no clue what "potential to fall asleep on the freeway in a car containing drugs and a gun" means, or how a background check would unearth it.

The Jets had a former FBI guy working their security. Not sure if they still do, but it doesn't take too much nosing around to find out what kind of character a guy is. Whether he hangs with the wrong crowd, etc. I'm not killing the guy for it, but it was an oversight regarding his most expensive FA.

Archived