Jets' Players Want Rex Extended

flgreen

It's early still, but starting to look as if Rivera, like Rex, may deserve an extension.  The Panthers are playing very well right now.  It will be interesting to see how things go with both teams the rest of the season and what the owners/GMs decide to do in each situation.

I wonder what Rex could do with Cam Newton as his QB. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's early still, but starting to look as if Rivera, like Rex, may deserve an extension. The Panthers are playing very well right now. It will be interesting to see how things go with both teams the rest of the season and what the owners/GMs decide to do in each situation.

I don't know that you give Rivera an extension based on the body of work. It's one thing to pull together a handful of wins when no ody thinks you can win, but it's another thing to guide a franchise through a three or four year run toward prolonged success.

I don't know that you give Rivera an extension based on the body of work. It's one thing to pull together a handful of wins when no ody thinks you can win, but it's another thing to guide a franchise through a three or four year run toward prolonged success.

I don't know that you do, either, but this is only his 3rd year as Panthers' HC, and if the team finishes something like 12-4 and goes deep into the playoffs, it will be hard not to extend him.  Similar to the Jets, they have a lot of young players, and a new GM.

He had a rookie QB, lack of talent issues (glaring holes behind Steve Smith at WR, at DT, and in the secondary), and lost his OC after two years.   Both in 2011 and 2012 they suffered major injuries on their defense and offense, taking out key players.  His GM was fired after last season (rightfully so).  In 2011, his rookie season, he had rookie QB who set records for rookies but who struggled with leadership.  He'd go into funks just like Sanchez. Only two draft picks from 2011, Cam Newton and Kealoha Pilares (the KR), is still on that team.  The 2012 draft was better

In 2012, their record improved slightly (from 6 wins to 7 wins), and it looks as if they could easily finish this season with at least 9-10 wins.  

It's not like they've been blown out a lot, either.  Most of the games they've lost over that stretch have been close ones...a lucky bounce here, a key play there, and their record could have been a good bit better.

To be sure, he's on the hot seat, but like Rex, the players are behind him, like him and believe in him.

With Jerry Richardson, it's hard to know what he'll do, but at this point I think the Panthers would have to totally collapse or struggle mightily the rest of the way for Rivera not to keep his job.

Competition is making everyone better including Rex who is coaching for his job. You have to like how this team looks so far all things considered. Also need to rememeber how thing got when the players coach was largely calling the shots. The GM isnt just a figurehead signing the contracts anymore and it is nice having an adult in the room. Good balance.

BTW, you guys who would give Rex an extension are also arguing that Ron Rivera should get an extension.

I'll call BS.  Ron Rivera is a terrible coach blessed with a team that has talent all over the place.  His record in close games is godawful.  He's pretty much the exact opposite of Rex.  Rex get's the most out of the players he's given.  The Panthers win in spite of him.

I don't know why the media is pushing the Extend Rex angle so hard. It's 9 games in. Jets could still go 6-10 and Woody would look like a jackass for not waiting.

There is no benefit to the team by doing the deal now. Coughlin was in the final year of his contract both SB seasons and Giants did not try to extend in each.

I don't know why the media is pushing the Extend Rex angle so hard. It's 9 games in. Jets could still go 6-10 and Woody would look like a jackass for not waiting.

There is no benefit to the team by doing the deal now. Coughlin was in the final year of his contract both SB seasons and Giants did not try to extend in each.

Say the Jets extended him now, and the team falls apart this second half of the season.  It gives the media an opening to rekindle  the "Jets don't know what they're doing" narrative that they spun during the GM vetting and hiring process last year.

Lovie Smith started 10-0 the season he got fired.

I'll call BS. Ron Rivera is a terrible coach blessed with a team that has talent all over the place. His record in close games is godawful. He's pretty much the exact opposite of Rex. Rex get's the most out of the players he's given. The Panthers win in spite of him.

No, no, no. Ron Rivera is growing as a coach. Five more years for him.

Is anyone really pushing the idea of extending him now? I think the story is more that it looks like Rex has and/or will earn that extension at the end of the year.

Well, I actually gave supporting evidence (if it holds up against the Spermy full year test) to parity, or at least league narrowing of talent.

You gave opinion. 

What else can I do?

I'm saying you are quoting an article looking at less than half a season, comparing it against cumulative or other individual full seasons, and have decided that a 7-game stretch is conclusive evidence that the entire league is in a new era of change like never seen before.  That is not my opinion that such an unequal comparison is being done.  That is fact.  

The only opinion part is interpreting as conclusive evidence some "new normal" for the league, that only started this season, based on 7 weeks of scores.    

Further, this article did nothing more than say this was higher than prior years so far.  But what it didn't do is say by how much.  69% are within 7 points at some juncture in the 4th quarter.  It is opinion that this is significant since the article doesn't say what is a normal percentage.  If the normal - or even the previous record - hovered around 50% then you might be onto something.  

But other than that? It merely says the league is on a certain pace that may or may not sustain itself when measured over an entire season.  The article doesn't even state if this is a record percentage when comparing other seasons through the first 7 weeks.  While it may not be fully an apples and oranges comparison, at best it is tangerines and oranges.

By the end of the season, a lot of bad teams try out 2nd & 3rd string players (particularly those who are bad due to starter injuries).  You are more likely to see that as the season progresses.   On the other side of the counterbalance, few teams - even first place ones - fully rest their starters for more than a week at most (now that Tony Dungy isn't coaching anymore).

You also stated the disparity between the best and worst teams is closer than ever (I'm not looking up the exact wording, but that was the gist).  This is also merely your opinion, not empirical fact, yet you are trying to pass off that opinion as though it was just that.

No way they miss the playoffs at this point, but an early playoff exit is very possible.  They need to win that division so they can get a home game or 2 at Arrowhead.  Otherwise they're sunk.  They're not beating the Pats, Bengals, Colts or Broncos on the road.  Not a chance.

They clearly make the playoffs but at the end of the day, Alex Smith.

This one is easy... because it's the media.  Nobody actually thinks they should actually make a move now, but it's something to talk about during a bye week when the team has been close lipped enough to make them work.  I'd be concentrating on Antrelle Rolle's silly comments about the Miami fiasco. 

Had to pick threee or four years because the two year run doesn't fit the agenda?

Lovie Smith started 10-0 the season he got fired.

Is this a strange joke that I don't get?  It's certainly far from factually correct. They were considered dead in the water after they lost 3 straight, the last one to the Pack at home.  They won the last two to stay in the playoff hunt and lose out on tiebreakers to the Vikings.

Is anyone really pushing the idea of extending him now? I think the story is more that it looks like Rex has and/or will earn that extension at the end of the year.

The Daily Ruse and New York Roast are. Serby and Mehta are writing Extend Rex Now articles twice a week.

I'm saying you are quoting an article looking at less than half a season, comparing it against cumulative or other individual full seasons, and have decided that a 7-game stretch is conclusive evidence that the entire league is in a new era of change like never seen before.  The reason is transparent.

That is not an opinion.  That is fact.  

The only opinion part is drawing conclusive evidence of the "new normal" for the league, going forward, that just started this season, based on 7 weeks of action.  

Further, this article did nothing more than say this was higher than prior years so far.  But what it didn't do is say by how much.  69% are within 7 points at some juncture in the 4th quarter.  It is opinion that this is significant since the article doesn't say what is a normal percentage.  If the normal - or even the previous record - hovered around 50% then you might be onto something.  

But other than that? It merely says the league is on a certain pace that may or may not sustain itself when measured over an entire season.  The article doesn't even state if this is a record percentage when comparing other seasons through the first 7 weeks.  While it may not be fully an apples and oranges comparison, at best it is tangerines and oranges.

By the end of the season, a lot of bad teams try out 2nd & 3rd string players (particularly those who are bad due to starter injuries).  You are more likely to see that as the season progresses.   On the other side of the counterbalance, few teams - even first place ones - fully rest their starters for more than a week at most (now that Tony Dungy isn't coaching anymore).

You also stated the disparity between the best and worst teams is closer than ever (I'm not looking up the exact wording, but that was the gist).  This is also merely your opinion, not empirical fact, yet you are trying to pass off that opinion as though it was just that.

And what have you provided that has lent any credibility to your stance that there is not parity? 

Conjecture and opinion?

Maybe the "close games" stat does not hold up as the highest. maybe it slips to 5th highest of all time. Does that mean that there is NOT parity?

Here you go-the stats continue to hold up through 9 weeks. Oh, and they compare 9 weeks of the season through other 9 weeks of the season (there goes that argument)

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/close-call-69-all-games-2013-have-been-within-7-points-the-fourth-quarter/26445/

• Close contests remain a staple of the 2013 season as 92 of 133 games (69.2 percent) have been within seven points in the fourth quarter, the most such games through the first nine weeks of a season in NFL history (89 in 2004).
  • Through the first nine weeks, 35 of 133 games (26.3 percent) have featured a fourth-quarter comeback victory. That puts the 2013 season on pace for the third-highest percentage of games with a fourth-quarter comeback victory since 1970 (31.3 in 1989).

• There have been 30 games in which the winning points were scored in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or in overtime this season. Of those 30 games, seven have been decided in overtime.

I am waiting for your facts that there is not parity

And what have you provided that has lent any credibility to your stance that there is not parity? 

Conjecture and opinion?

Maybe the "close games" stat does not hold up as the highest. maybe it slips to 5th highest of all time. Does that mean that there is NOT parity?

Here you go-the stats continue to hold up through 9 weeks. Oh, and they compare 9 weeks of the season through other 9 weeks of the season (there goes that argument)

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/close-call-69-all-games-2013-have-been-within-7-points-the-fourth-quarter/26445/

• Close contests remain a staple of the 2013 season as 92 of 133 games (69.2 percent) have been within seven points in the fourth quarter, the most such games through the first nine weeks of a season in NFL history (89 in 2004).
  • Through the first nine weeks, 35 of 133 games (26.3 percent) have featured a fourth-quarter comeback victory. That puts the 2013 season on pace for the third-highest percentage of games with a fourth-quarter comeback victory since 1970 (31.3 in 1989).

• There have been 30 games in which the winning points were scored in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or in overtime this season. Of those 30 games, seven have been decided in overtime.

So....what does all this have to do with extending Rex Ryan's contract?

Conjecture and opinion?

I'm not saying anything other than what you claim you have proven is unproven.  The league doesn't seem to be suddenly more equal this year than at any time in league history, which shows this is some new trend that has never before been seen. 

And again, you are still comparing two different things.  Show me a comparison of this year's first 7 (or 9) weeks and compare them to all other seasons' first 7-9 weeks.  It is not the same to do superficial analysis of everyone playing their starters and fully trying through 7 weeks, and comparing that to a time when some teams are playing for draft slots or have finally started to used 2nd/3rd stringers to see what they've got heading into the following season.

Show us an apples and apples comparison; you're the one who made the assertion that this is somehow some all-new phenomenon that just started this season.  

• Also, show how MUCH different.  Truth is you don't even know if this "record-setting" 7 weeks - which the article doesn't even say IS record-setting through 7 weeks - is significantly higher than in the past.  The article neither states this nor did it imply it. All it said is IF the current then-current pace is kept up it would be a record-setter. But it doesn't even say by how much.  
  • The 69% figure quoted: how much higher is this? Is the "normal" rate 65% or 35%? We do not know; the article doesn't say.  
  • What are the top few seasons through 7 weeks? Is 69% even the highest pace yet seen? We don't know because that claim isn't asserted in the article.
  • If it is, what is the difference between this year and the supposedly-2nd-highest percentage.  Again we don't know because the article doesn't assert this either.  

Yet you are basically using articles as some type of conclusive (or near-conclusive) proof of assertions that the articles themselves don't make.

Your last statement is just weak, and shows desperation.  Nowhere did I - or anyone - claim there is not parity in the league, and you absolutely knew that when you typed your post.  I called into question your claim that this year there is some significantly different level of parity across the league like we've never seen before.  Your conclusion is to challenge me to defend a stance you know I've never made (and further, that I've stated the opposite).  

When you conclude by fabricating assertions I never made, that is when it is obvious your argument is lost.

I'm not saying anything other than what you claim you have proven is unproven.  The league doesn't seem to be suddenly more equal this year than at any time in league history, which shows this is some new trend that has never before been seen. 

And again, you are still comparing two different things.  Show me a comparison of this year's first 7 (or 9) weeks and compare them to all other seasons' first 7-9 weeks.  It is not the same to do superficial analysis of everyone playing their starters and fully trying through 7 weeks, and comparing that to a time when some teams are playing for draft slots or have finally started to used 2nd/3rd stringers to see what they've got heading into the following season.

Show us an apples and apples comparison; you're the one who made the assertion that this is somehow some all-new phenomenon.  

• Also, show how MUCH different.  Truth is you don't even know if this "record-setting" 7 weeks - which the article doesn't even say IS record-setting through 7 weeks - is significantly higher than in the past.  The article neither states this nor did it imply it. All it said is IF the current then-current pace is kept up it would be a record-setter. But it doesn't even say by how much.  
  • The 69% figure quoted: how much higher is this? Is the "normal" rate 65% or 35%? We do not know; the article doesn't say.  
  • What are the top few seasons through 7 weeks? Is 69% even the highest pace yet seen? We don't know because that claim isn't asserted in the article.
  • If it is, what is the difference between this year and the supposedly-2nd-highest percentage.  Again we don't know because the article doesn't assert this either.  

Yet you are basically using articles as some type of conclusive (or near-conclusive) proof of assertions that the articles themselves don't make.

Your last statement is just weak, and shows desperation.  Nowhere did I - or anyone - claim there is not parity in the league, and you absolutely knew that when you typed your post.  I called into question your claim that this year there is some significantly different level of parity across the league like we've never seen before.  Your conclusion is to challenge me to defend a stance you know I've never made (and further, that I've stated the opposite).  

When you conclude by fabricating assertions I never made, that is when it is obvious your argument is lost.

I can only conclude you didn't read the last article, which supplies exactly what you have asked

-Comparison to other seasons in a true through 9 week comparison

-By how much it is ahead of the closest season

You continue to shoot from the hip here without looking at facts presented. mumble-pointspreads-mumble-agenda-mumble-tangerines/oranges.

The facts that you asked for all provided there. If you would only look rather than spouting Spermy talk.

Had to pick threee or four years because the two year run doesn't fit the agenda?

I have no idea what this means.

Is this a strange joke that I don't get? It's certainly far from factually correct. They were considered dead in the water after they lost 3 straight, the last one to the Pack at home. They won the last two to stay in the playoff hunt and lose out on tiebreakers to the Vikings.

I was being hyperbolic. Lovie was 7-2 after nine. Not sure if that's better than 5-4. I'll have to factor in Parity Quotient and whatnot.

Also, funny quote I came across from the Bears' GM in firing Lovie. Funny, because of how similar Idzik's statement will sound in two months:

At the time of the firing, Emery gave this explanation for letting Smith go, "Our No. 1 goal always has to be to win championships, and to win championships we have to be in contention on a consistent basis, and to be in contention we have to make the playoffs on a consistent basis," Emery said. "We've had defensive excellence, but during the course of coach Smith's years here, we've had one offense that was ranked in the top 15."

Emery further expounded this week on why he fired Smith, who won 10 games -- but missed the playoffs -- with the Bears in 2012.

"We were in a position where if he stayed, he would be picking his fifth offensive coordinator," Emery said, via TheMMQB.com. "Part of it was because I really believe looking at a team that if you're going to have success, the most important relationship is between the head coach and the quarterback."

Also, funny quote I came across from the Bears' GM in firing Lovie. Funny, because of how similar Idzik's statement will sound in two months:

Lovie Smith was the Head Coach of the Bears for 9 seasons.  In that span, he won less postseason games (3) than Rex has won here in 4.  5 of his 9 seasons in Chicago, the Bears finished either 3rd or 4th in their division. 

Is this really the guy you want to compare Rex to?  Are you expecting the Jets to collapse down the stretch like Lovie's team did in 2012?  What do you have as the final W-L record for the Jets?

Lovie Smith was the Head Coach of the Bears for 9 seasons. In that span, he won less postseason games (3) than Rex has won here in 4. 5 of his 9 seasons in Chicago, the Bears finished either 3rd or 4th in their division.

Is this really the guy you want to compare Rex to? Are you expecting the Jets to collapse down the stretch like Lovie's team did in 2012?

Lovie went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. He won three division titles. His career record was 84-66.

What were you saying?

Lovie went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. He won three division titles. His career record was 84-66.

What were you saying?

And John Fox went to the Super Bowl with Jake Delhomme but still eventually got fired, because you can't live off those moments forever.  The game was very different in the early 2000's. 

Rex can't afford to live off those 2 AFC Title game appearances with a sh*t QB, I fully admit this.  But he's doing a good job RIGHT NOW, THIS SEASON, which is what counts most.  I'm willing to forget about those first 2 seasons if you're willing to judge Rex on what he's doing currently, like Idzik certainly is.

the Jets will never find a coach more suited to this job and this town than Rex Ryan. He's got roots to the team and actually seems to care. Most coach candidates that compare to Rex don't want to coach in this town, for a team with no QB.

Criteria for Evaluating Success of NFL Head Coaches

1. They actually seem to care

2. They worked as a ballboy for the team 40 years ago

3. Unafraid of coaching in the den of iniquity that is New York City

That is all.

Archived