Be Patient on Rex-tension

flgreen

Green Day: Be patient on Rex-tension

November, 6, 2013

NOV 6

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

If the New York Jets' season ended now, Rex Ryan would deserve a contract extension. He'd probably get it, too.

But here's a news flash: The season doesn't end now. They still have seven games to play, and seven games can change the complexion of a season in the NFL. Heck, one or two games can change the complexion.

Ryan has done a terrific job, but it would make little sense for owner Woody Johnson and general manager John Idzik to hand out a contract extension in early November. I mean, let's be real. Would the Pulitzer committee hand out a prize after reading only half a novel?

No doubt, the arrow is pointed up for the Jets, but this is a team that can't win two a row. This is a team that ended the previous two seasons on three-game losing streaks. They're still the Jets, so there's always a Butt Fumble waiting to happen. If they drop five of the last seven, against a relatively benign schedule, would Ryan still deserve a new deal?

Ryan did a poor job down the stretch in 2011, losing games and control of his own locker room. He did a poor job last season, mismanaging the quarterback circus. Let's see if he can get to the finish line without an embarrassing controversy. If he does, and the Jets make the playoffs, he'll hold the hammer in contract negotiations.

We live in the Twitter age, where everybody is trying to be faster and louder, but the Jets' brain trust -- Wood-zik -- won't be swayed by the emotion of the moment. They'll let it play out, making a decision once the season has been defined.

ICYMI: Tuesday was a quiet day. There were no transaction announcements and the Jets didn't report any free-agent workouts to the league. That's unusual for a bye week, but the week isn't over yet. They may check out receivers, with Jeremy Kerley out with a dislocated elbow. His injury typically takes two to four weeks to return. ... We reviewed the tape of the Jets' win over New Orleans. The game plans were clever on both sides of the ball. ... The Jets moved up two spots in the ESPN.com power rankings. They're 14th.

the funny thing about theoretically dropping 5 of 7 would still put them at 7-9 which, prior to the season, would be looked at as a really good job. considering how talent poor the roster is.

But teams don't put an X number of wins going into the season as a barometer for an after season decision on an extension.

Going into 2008, 9-7 looked like a good record. But Mangini was rightfully fired for how the season transpired.

The end number won't necessarily dictate whether Rex is or isn't extended. It's how he arrives at that number that matters

But teams don't put an X number of wins going into the season as a barometer for an after season decision on an extension.

vegas had the Jets w/L over under at 6.5 if memory serves. Even in a worst case scenario Rex beats that number which is a sign of good coaching. 

Going into 2008, 9-7 looked like a good record. But Mangini was rightfully fired for how the season transpired.

The end number won't necessarily dictate whether Rex is or isn't extended. It's how he arrives at that number that matters

As strange as it sounds your probably right.  If the Jets were 2-7 right now and won 5 of the last 7 to finish 7-9 Rex probably stays.  If he loses 5 of the last 7, odds are he goes.

vegas had the Jets w/L over under at 6.5 if memory serves. Even in a worst case scenario Rex beats that number which is a sign of good coaching. 

Well let's shoot for 10 wins all the same.  The schedule we have lined up suggests this is very possible.  I'd rather Rex not limp to the finish and back into an extension.

Wait, I thought Vegas lines were based on public perception which is fueled by the media? 

The media is the one that Rex is going to owe his extension to?

That's exactly what you're hoping for, unless you're just pretending the last two years didn't exist.

Against the Bills, home against the Raiders, scandal-ridden Dolphins (twice), home against the Browns.....I really wouldn't be thrilled with finishing 7-9 or even 8-8.  But I don't think that's going to happen. 

I think 9 wins certainly gets Rex a worthy extension.  And I think we end up with 9 or 10 wins.  Even those games @ Baltimore and @ Carolina aren't as scary as they look.  I like our chances to steal one of those.  Flacco has been terrible this year, and as we know, a bad Cam Newton can be horrendous.

That's exactly what you're hoping for, unless you're just pretending the last two years didn't exist.

It's a what have you done for me lately league. The anti-Rex crowd has repeatedly stated that the back-to-back AFC Championship appearances meant nothing the last two years, same logic should hold true for the two down seasons if the team somehow manages to make the playoffs this year.

Against the Bills, home against the Raiders, scandal-ridden Dolphins (twice), home against the Browns.....I really wouldn't be thrilled with finishing 7-9 or even 8-8.  But I don't think that's going to happen. 

I think 9 wins certainly gets Rex a worthy extension.  And I think we end up with 9 or 10 wins.  Even those games @ Baltimore and @ Carolina aren't as scary as they look.  I like our chances to steal one of those.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Fish react to this.  They have a decent D.  Their OL was horrible before this whole mess.  Losing Martin isn't much.  Incognito might have been their best OL

On paper the Jets DL should rip them apart 

It's going to be interesting to see how the Fish react to this.  They have a decent D.  Their OL was horrible before this whole mess.  Losing Martin isn't much.  Incognito might have been their best OL

On paper the Jets DL should rip them apart 

I'll take a split with Miami and be happy.  Their offensive line wasn't doing well protecting Tannehill WITH Martin and Incognito, so you have to wonder if all this stuff was so bad that removing the distraction will HELP them in the end.  Won't know until we see them in action again.

It's a what have you done for me lately league. The anti-Rex crowd has repeatedly stated that the back-to-back AFC Championship appearances meant nothing the last two years, same logic should hold true for the two down seasons if the team somehow manages to make the playoffs this year.

Bingo.  Cherry-picking which parts of Rex's first 4 years here you want to focus on is fun, but Idzik wasn't here for those years.  If Idzik's plan was to come in and start fresh with a clean slate, and Rex is indeed "just a candidate" for the HC position going forward, he's proving to be a very good one based on the results this season.

I think the Jets win the Super Bowl and Rex still gets fired because he sucks and they will win it in spite of him. 

Could be.  After all Walt got fired after being cheated in the AFC Championship game (Mud Bowl)  There is a precedent with the Jets

After Rex Ryan wins the Super Bowl and gets fired, he'll be reunited in Tampa Bay with Revis and proceed to lose back to back AFCCG's which is impressive since they play in the NFC.

The Jets, will hire Darrell Bevell and run the ball more than any other team in the league, with a great defense and we'll be discussing for the next 5 years how behind the times the Jets are and we need a pass happy HC to succeed in today's NFL. 

40% of a career>>>4 games

I'll take a split with Miami and be happy.  Their offensive line wasn't doing well protecting Tannehill WITH Martin and Incognito, so you have to wonder if all this stuff was so bad that removing the distraction will HELP them in the end.  Won't know until we see them in action again.

How happy would you be with a split with Miami if we win ours at home, and lose in Miami week 17, and it was a win, and in the playoffs scenario, lose, and you go home, how happy would that split really make you feel?

How happy would you be with a split with Miami if we win ours at home, and lose in Miami week 17, and it was a win, and in the playoffs scenario, lose, and you go home, how happy would that split really make you feel?

Terribly, but hopefully we'll be in a position where not only are we in playoff contention, but maybe we don't need the Week 17 win.  Lot's has to happen before then so I'm not too worried about it.  As it stands right now, a split with Miami would be fine with me.

Actually, the first 2 seasons are 40%, too.

43-36 as head coach.

Nah man, we're not allowed to look at any of the positive things Rex did his first 4 years, or the positive things he's doing now.  Just the negatives.  In his last 30 games he's got a bad record, or something, Lovie Smith.

by the way, Rex Ryan has won the most playoff games in Jets coaching history and his winning percentage is third behind Tuna and Al Groh's 1 year. 

Bill Parcells getting to 1 AFC Championship game:  Hall of Fame, best coach ever.

Rex getting to 2 AFC Championship games:  Worst coach ever, fire him.

Shane logic.

the funny thing about theoretically dropping 5 of 7 would still put them at 7-9 which, prior to the season, would be looked at as a really good job. considering how talent poor the roster is.

Yeah, really. Jets are a rebuilding team that have alot of things gong against them this season - they lost their arguably best defensive player in the offseason; they've got a rookie QB who was drafted in the second round; no playmaker on offense; a starting tight end who got suspended for four games, and rookies at key positions. I would say that 7-9 with the wins they've gotten so far his season, which include two wins over legitimate Superbowl contenders (Pats and Saints), would be considered phenomenal.

Archived