Keep defending Geno

Joe Jets fan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The playcalling is 50% of the issue. They have no business running on nearly every down with 8 man in the box early in the game ala playing to lose. Then they fall in a hole, just like they did against Cin, Ten, Pitt, and today. Rex playing cover zero and man to man is also a BIG part of it. Revis is GONE, these corners are average at best and have no business playing man to man, instead should be in cover 2.

You could instert manning into the lineup and it wouldn't make a huge difference if the play calling is the same and if recievers aren't getting open. Geno isn't missing wide open recievers...The team needs recievers in the worst way...

Again, I agree with just about all you wrote BUT I'm quite sure that the playcalling would be alot different if you had Manning back there. I know Geno's a rookie but Marty dumbing down the playbook and running more to me just simply shows that they are not comfortable with opening up the playbook for GENO, and to me that says that the JETS are still not sold on Geno. If they were, they would let him sling it around but they have put the handcuffs on him because they simply dont trust him. The numbers he put up todau, and the decisions he made were deplorable, and really, this is his 10th game, and by their 10th games in the NFL, Luck, RGIII and Wilson were already franchise QBS, but GENO is still an unknown who quite frankly is DIGRESSING as he has NO touchdown passes in his last 3 games and multiple turnovers. At this point, unless a miracle occurrs, the JETS must draft one of the QBS in this class.

Hey at least he isn't Mark Sanchez...yes we CAN do better, and NO not Jay Cutler

I agree with both points. Yes he is not that other guy ( I refuse to even mention that guys name), and I also would much rather have one of the guys coming out in the draft, than Cutler. I like Cutler, but lets start fresh like the Colts did with Luck, or Seattle with Wilson, and not get a retread. like we tried with Favre.

Yeah we need to draft Manziel. I hope our team doesn't dick around and waste 3 years to find out Geno's horrible, especially with us having a good chance at getting Manziel.

Could you imagine what New York and the Jets camp would be like if we drafted Manziel. It would be like when we drafted NAMATH times 10. He would own this city. His Jersey would immediately be the top seller, and its just not hype with this kid. Some of the throws I have seen him make (especially in the ALABAMA game) were scary good. I used to think he was just a kid who was basically a scrambler who could throw a little bit but I was wrong, sure he can scramble but his arm strength and accuracy are amazing, and by the way, we need a receiver too, that dude he throws to, Evans, is about 6-5 235, he look nice in green also.

Could you imagine what New York and the Jets camp would be like if we drafted Manziel. It would be like when we drafted NAMATH times 10. He would own this city. His Jersey would immediately be the top seller, and its just not hype with this kid. Some of the throws I have seen him make (especially in the ALABAMA game) were scary good. I used to think he was just a kid who was basically a scrambler who could throw a little bit but I was wrong, sure he can scramble but his arm strength and accuracy are amazing, and by the way, we need a receiver too, that dude he throws to, Evans, is about 6-5 235, he look nice in green also.

He's probably going to become the next Fran Tarkenton. Kid's a baller. The amount he improved from his freshman year to this year is insane, the kids growing fast and is going to become a good qb minus injury. Jets need to draft him, the fact that he acts like Namath does only makes it better, that and the Pats and Brady hate him which make me like him even more. Perhaps if we draft him he'll break the Jets stroke of sh*tty qb drafting. Doubt we get Evans though, I imagine he'll go long before Johnny Football does. Probably top 15.

He's probably going to become the next Fran Tarkenton. Kid's a baller. The amount he improved from his freshman year to this year is insane, the kids growing fast and is going to become a good qb minus injury. Jets need to draft him, the fact that he acts like Namath does only makes it better, that and the Pats and Brady hate him which make me like him even more. Perhaps if we draft him he'll break the Jets stroke of sh*tty qb drafting. Doubt we get Evans though, I imagine he'll go long before Johnny Football does. Probably top 15.

I was thinking the same thing about Tarkenton. only Johnny Football, is faster, and has a better arm. The one thing I am afraid of though is that its looking like the JETS will be drafting in the middle somewhere, and although the so called "experts" have Johnny going mid-first round, I dont buy that for one minute. The way he is playing, his stock is skyrocketing and I expect him to be a top ten pick, meaning IDZIK will probably have to trade up to get him. He is worth doing that however, so I hope IZZY does whatever it takes to get this guy. His talents are freakish, that only come along once in maybe 10 years or so.

I was thinking the same thing about Tarkenton. only Johnny Football, is faster, and has a better arm. The one thing I am afraid of though is that its looking like the JETS will be drafting in the middle somewhere, and although the so called "experts" have Johnny going mid-first round, I dont buy that for one minute. The way he is playing, his stock is skyrocketing and I expect him to be a top ten pick, meaning IDZIK will probably have to trade up to get him. He is worth doing that however, so I hope IZZY does whatever it takes to get this guy. His talents are freakish, that only come along once in maybe 10 years or so.

I think he has a good chance at falling to us, especially if Hundley and Mariota come out this year. Even if they don't, or only one of them come out, theirs Mettenberger, Carr, etc. Their's a lot of qbs coming out that don't have off the field problems, so I could see him falling. Not to mention the wide amount of talent at the other positions coming out. Besides if you think about it, Eagles, Giants, Steelers, Bucs, Atlanta, Rams, Dolphins, Titans, Chargers, Ravens, etc aren't drafting a qb in the 1st round. The teams that most likely will be are, Jags, Vikings, Browns. Arizona, Texans, and Raiders might draft a qb to, although they have a good shot of staying with what they have until later rounds. When you factor in Bridgewater, Hundley, Mariota, Carr, Boyd etc., Manziel has a good shot at falling.

Looking at that screen he got picked off on, the Bills knew that was coming all the way. Searcy basically jumped it off the snap. That's unreal.

You mean the play where they throw the ball to Holmes every time? Guy is by far our most dynamic offensive player, but there's something going on where Geno feels the necessity to force-feed him, even when covered.

You mean the play where they throw the ball to Holmes every time? Guy is by far our most dynamic offensive player, but there's something going on where Geno feels the necessity to force-feed him, even when covered.

He's the only receiver capable of winning one on one matchups. I don't like the prick- but in a  game like that he's the only receiver giving  Geno a shot.

The only clean pass play all game was at 35-7 on a 17 yard pass to Winslow.

He's the only receiver capable of winning one on one matchups. I don't like the prick- but in a  game like that he's the only receiver giving  Geno a shot.

The only clean pass play all game was at 35-7 on a 12 yard pass to Winslow.

I completely understand needing to get him the ball, but when you're down multiple scores and start telegraphing some of these plays, any QB gets put in a bad position. 

The only pass play I remember Geno having a clean pocket was that big strike to Holmes on the left side: Fauts and whatshisface even commented that it was a beautiful throw and the only time he hasn't been hit all game to that point. His best game came against Atlanta when he was upright, clean and able to survey the field.

I'd like to see more rollouts or bootlegs, something to get the defense on their heels.

No way we lose enough games to be able to draft him, hence why we need to pick Manziel. Manziel will most likely fall to us this upcoming draft, if we pass on him smh.

Here's to you shaking your head later! 

Not a Manziel fan in the slightest, and want this already crummy franchise to stay as far away as possible. 

No way we lose enough games to be able to draft him, hence why we need to pick Manziel. Manziel will most likely fall to us this upcoming draft, if we pass on him smh.

We've done this move for the past like million drafts already.You dont need a sexy pick and you can find a QB in later rounds. Before even thinking of Manziel id like to see Simms who is currently on the roster how he does after Geno blows it. Id rather use that number one on the plethora of WR talent coming out of FSU.

Looking at that screen he got picked off on, the Bills knew that was coming all the way. Searcy basically jumped it off the snap. That's unreal.

That's what happens when the QB cannot sell the screen.  Like Mr. Miyagi said, "Look eye! Always look eye."

We've done this move for the past like million drafts already.You dont need a sexy pick and you can find a QB in later rounds. Before even thinking of Manziel id like to see Simms who is currently on the roster how he does after Geno blows it. Id rather use that number one on the plethora of WR talent coming out of FSU.

we need a qb. badly. waiting till later rounds to draft a project is not the route the jets should go in trying to find their qb.

The only clean pass play all game was at 35-7 on a 17 yard pass to Winslow.

totally agree with BroadwayJoe - Geno was looking only at Holmes. He would not have even known if there was another guy open, because he had tunnelvision. Holmes was probably in his ear all day, and Geno felt obligated to look his way. He makes some plays, but I think he's a cancer. And if Holmes wasn't in Geno's ear telling him to throw his way, and Geno on his own looked only at Holmes on those plays, then Geno is a lousy qb. I remember when that ex Giant receiver said that Shockey was also telling Eli to throw his way, and when Shockey wasn't there anymore, Eli was more relaxed and played better. Probably the same thing here.

Yeah, I know but it just came out as I was scanning the QB results for today, and Glennon had been mentioned as a draft possibility for the JETS last year. I know Glennon is also not FRANCHISE material but 20/23 is not a bad day for any rookie and GENO has not come close to that type of accuracy in a game this year.

Actually Geno did come close, probably better once this year, and it's funny it just happened to be against the same team Glennon faced yesterday the Atlanta Falcons!

I think he has a good chance at falling to us, especially if Hundley and Mariota come out this year. Even if they don't, or only one of them come out, theirs Mettenberger, Carr, etc. Their's a lot of qbs coming out that don't have off the field problems, so I could see him falling. Not to mention the wide amount of talent at the other positions coming out. Besides if you think about it, Eagles, Giants, Steelers, Bucs, Atlanta, Rams, Dolphins, Titans, Chargers, Ravens, etc aren't drafting a qb in the 1st round. The teams that most likely will be are, Jags, Vikings, Browns. Arizona, Texans, and Raiders might draft a qb to, although they have a good shot of staying with what they have until later rounds. When you factor in Bridgewater, Hundley, Mariota, Carr, Boyd etc., Manziel has a good shot at falling.

If you want Manziel the Jets need to have a worse record than the Browns, the GM over there is head over heels in love with him, and will jump on him if available when they pick in the 1st round.

If you want Manziel the Jets need to have a worse record than the Browns, the GM over there is head over heels in love with him, and will jump on him if available when they pick in the 1st round.

This could easily happen as the Browns I believe are 4-6 and the Jets 5-5. BUT I agree with you completely as I dont believe that Manziel will fall to the middle like the experts say he will, so IZZY will have to step up and trade up. The JETS have enough extra picks to be able to find a trade partner if the so desire. Mariota and Bridgewater are going top 5 and those teams desperately need QBS so no trade up with them, but with teams already set at QB who are drafting ahead of us will be prime partners.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, after those top 3, I dont see a true franchise QB. Carr worries me as he comes out of the same program as his brother (complete bust), McCarron, although I like him, is envisioned as a "system" QB, Mettenberg, and Hundley are intriguing but not surefire like, Bridgewater, Mariota and Manziel. Actually, if we cant get any of those top 3, I would prefer Murray from Georgia. Strong armed kid whos seems pretty tough.

If Geno continues on the path he is on, I think the JETS have to draft a QB and Manziel right now seeems to be the best option, considering where their draft position will be.

Dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you! I'm done with Geno and his inconsistent play. NEXT!

Lets be honest. GENO dropped to us in the 2nd round for a reason, and we are seeing those reasons very plainly on each Sunday (especially the past 3). Tavon Austin et al were running open by 10 yards, and he had 10 seconds to throw it at WV, but when windows are small and you have about 1.5 seconds to throw it, you find out what type of QB you really have. Like his predecessor (oh boy), he processes the information way too slowly, and gets rattled. He was just a 2nd round pick so we dont have a huge investment in him, like his predecessor, so we really wont take the hit like when you have to give up on firster like Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf etc.

If this class coming out of college wasnt as loaded as it is, we might think about passing on a QB and give GENO more time, but this class is so good, that we have to take one if we get the opprtunity, especially if we can get a Manziel.

Drive of the Game: Rookie failure
November, 18, 2013
NOV 18
9:00
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
An examination of the key drive in the New York Jets' 37-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills

The Drive: It lasted only two plays for the Jets, but it changed the game. They took over at their 20-yard line with 4:05 remaining in the second quarter. Less than a minute later, the rout was on. 

The Situation: After falling behind, 10-0, on the first of two touchdown passes by EJ Manuel, the Jets got the ball with the wind at their back. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg tried to capitalize on the conditions by giving Geno Smith the green light to throw. 

What Happened: On first down, Smith threw a long incompletion to Santonio Holmes. On second down, disaster struck. Rookie left guard Brian Winters, struggling in pass protection, was whipped by defensive tackle Kyle Williams. With a clear path to Smith, Williams forced a strip sack. It was recovered at the Jets' 4 by teammate Manny Lawson, the first of four turnovers by the rookie quarterback. 

The Impact: One play later, fullback Frank Summers blasted in for a 3-yard touchdown, giving the Bills a 17-0 lead. It was the turning point of the game. A rattled Smith never recovered, throwing an interception on his next pass to set up a Bills field goal. Because of Smith's mistakes, the Bills started three drives inside the Jets’ 35, resulting in 10 points. You've seen this movie many times, as Jets opponents have started 12 drives inside the 35, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Only the Bills (14) have allowed more.

Simms sucks, did you not watch the game, he threw it straight at Hill who was triple covered and hit the db square in the hands, if that db could catch that would've been an interception. The kids as bad as Geno is. We need a qb, wr can wait. You need a qb to get the wr the ball. If Manziel falls to us in the 1st round you take him.

I think if the Browns do want to draft him, they'll wait for him to fall and use their colts pick on him. And I doubt were finishing behind the colts.

I think if the Browns do want to draft him, they'll wait for him to fall and use their colts pick on him. And I doubt were finishing behind the colts.

I think the Browns will have a very good feel on the rest of the leagues opinion of Manziel, and if he is considered to be a sure fire mid 1st rounder they will also know that some other team will likely hop in front of their 1st rounder from the Colts, and if they want him they will understand in that situation they would have to take him with their 1st pick, or trade up with their 2nd 1st rounder themselves to grab him. You don't play games with a QB prospect you feel is a franchise QB, you take him. Just like this year the Bills thought Manuel was a franchise QB so they got their man, nobody thought Geno was a sure fire franchise QB, or he would not have been available when we picked in the 2nd round.

I think the Browns will have a very good feel on the rest of the leagues opinion of Manziel, and if he is considered to be a sure fire mid 1st rounder they will also know that some other team will likely hop in front of their 1st rounder from the Colts, and if they want him they will understand in that situation they would have to take him with their 1st pick, or trade up with their 2nd 1st rounder themselves to grab him. You don't play games with a QB prospect you feel is a franchise QB, you take him. Just like this year the Bills thought Manuel was a franchise QB so they got their man, nobody thought Geno was a sure fire franchise QB, or he would not have been available when we picked in the 2nd round.

Nobody, can say a player like Manziel, is a for sure mid first rounder.   Look at Geno Smith.  Almost all the amateur GM's  in the draft world had him picked as a sure fire top 10 pick after the combine.  A lot of them still had him as the first pick in the draft.   

Every one except NFL GM's that is.  I didn't like him, but when the top of the second round came up, I thought he had enough value  that the Jets should trade up to get him at 32.  I honestly didn't think he was going to fall from 32 to 39.  There were still 2 QB hungry teams in front of the Jets.

No body budged.   What the pundits say, and what GM's think are two totally different things.  I wouldn't be stunned to see Manziel fall to the 2nd.

It's also possible some one does something stupid, and takes him top 10 

Archived