awwwwww no more Dierdorf

slowmoe57

Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf to retire after 2013 season

• printicon_boxed.png
  •  

Email

11:22 a.m. CST, November 20, 2013

Dan Dierdorf's long run as an NFL broadcaster will end after the 2013 season.

The Pro Football Hall of Famer announced Wednesday that he will retire after 30 seasons in the booth and 43 years in the NFL as an offensive lineman with the St. Louis Cardinals and an analyst for ABC and currently with CBS Sports..

"I have been blessed to spend my entire life in the game I love," Dierdorf said. "I had an opportunity to go from the field directly to the broadcast booth, where I have had the privilege of working with the giants of our business, including Ray Scott, Lindsey Nelson, Jack Buck, Dick Stockton, Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, Verne Lundquist, Dick Enberg and, lastly, my partner, Greg Gumbel..

"It has become a challenge for me to travel to a different NFL city every week, so it's time to step aside. This has been a wonderful ride as I really have lived the dream.".

Dierdorf, 64, was named All-Pro six times and a member of the all-decade team in the 1970s. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1996 and won the 2008 Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award for excellence in broadcasting..

"For 43 NFL seasons, Dan Dierdorf has been a consummate professional both on the field and in the broadcast booth," CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus said. "Very few people in any profession can boast a Hall of Fame playing career and Hall of Fame broadcasting career. Dan, without question, is one of them. His CBS Sports family will miss him on Sundays, but we wish him all the best in his retirement.".

Dierdorf's broadcasting career began with the CBS Radio Network in 1984. Hee joined The NFL on CBS in 1985. The Canton, Ohio, native left CBS for a 12-year run with ABC's Monday Night Football and returned to CBS in 1999..

"A Hall of Fame player and a Hall of Fame broadcaster, a unique combination of knowledge and experience that few others can match," Gumbel said. "There has never been a day I've worked with Dan when I didn't learn something about the game of football. For that, and for so much more, I'm forever grateful.

I've always been a Dierdorf fan, but he did the Charger/Fins game this past weekend and it was bad.  He was slow to speak about the plays transpiring. It was like he was always a play behind when a new play was happening. He would also make obvious John Madden like points. It was tough to listen.

You have terrible taste. 

The Pats get their balls washed by everyone bc they've been really good for a long time.

The Jets historically suck and are easy to pick on.

i don't feel he is particularly hard on (heheheh, I said hard on) the Jets, he is just horrible. 

This is the best news I've heard all day. It just sucked all these years to have a guy who had an obvious bias against The Jets, get to call as many of their games as he did.

This is the first I heard about this, but I wouldn't doubt it in the least if CBS is forcing him out and the "retiring" bit is his way of saving a bit of face (I mean really? What other network would hire him?). His broadcast work is disliked by not only the viewers, but by coahes and players alike.

Any word yet on who they'll stick with Mumbles Gumbel after Dierdorf is done?

Archived