Why does the offense suck so bad? Oh, that's right...

sirlancemehlot

2009 Draft:  Mark Sanchez is the only player still on this roster from that draft. 

2010 Draft: 2nd Rounder...Vlad Ducasse, 4th Rounder...J. McKnight, 5th Rounder...J. Connor

2011 Draft: highest offensive draft pick taken?...4th rounder Bilal Powell

2012 Draft: top two offensive draft picks?  2nd rounder Steven Hill, sixth rounder Terrance Ganaway (RB)

2013 Draft: two first rounders are defensive players, Second Rounder is Geno Smith

of the few offensive lineman taken in the past 5 drafts, only two (Winters and Ducasse) remain on the team

Defensive players drafted in the first three rounds include: Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner, Antonio Cromartie (traded for a second Rd pick), Mohammed Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Quinton Coples, Sheldon Richardson, Demario Davis

Total number of offensive coordinators in last five years: 3.  Schottenheimer, Sporano, Morninweg

Ooof.  The Rex era has not been kind to NY Jets offensive football.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if we are gonna talk about it, guys like Ivory and Holmes have to be considered i.e. trades that they made using draft picks. 

OK.  Ivory injured most of hios career as a jet.  Holmes injured the last season and a half as a jet.  HOWEVER.  The defensive players taken that I listed above were taken with picks (or trades for picks) in the first three rounds.  Top three.  Holmes was a fifth rounder and Ivory was a fourth.  Yayy!  I Win!!

Go back to 08 and there's only one remnant of the 08/09/10 drafts on the roster - and he never knows where the football is and sucks donkey balls.

What should be the core of today's team is virtually non-existent due to abysmal drafts by Trader Mike with some input from Rex. 

It is on the GM to pick the players. otherwise Tannenbaum would still be here and Rex wouldnt. Someone deserves credit for the two recent AFC Championship games. As a side note the Patriots, and Ravens have picked less offensive players in the first three rounds since 2009.

2009 Draft:  Mark Sanchez is the only player still on this roster from that draft. 

2010 Draft: 2nd Rounder...Vlad Ducasse, 4th Rounder...J. McKnight, 5th Rounder...J. Connor

2012 Draft: top two offensive draft picks?  2nd rounder Steven Hill, sixth rounder Terrance Ganaway (RB)

2013 Draft: two first rounders are defensive players, Second Rounder is Geno Smith

of the few offensive lineman taken in the past 5 drafts, only two (Winters and Ducasse) remain on the team

Defensive players drafted in the first three rounds include: Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner, Antonio Cromartie (traded for a second Rd pick), Mohammed Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Quinton Coples, Sheldon Richardson, Demario Davis

Total number of offensive coordinators in last five years: 3.  Schottenheimer, Sporano, Morninweg

Isn't Campbell still on the team? Along with Abdoushi?

Truth is you could stop right here. Personally I'm amazed how well Rex has done with what he had to work with. 

Truth is you could stop right here. Personally I'm amazed how well Rex has done with what he had to work with. 

How many of those drafts did you go into saying: OK, this is the year we are going to DRAFT OFFENSE? for me almost all of them and last year was a slam dunk for me thinking, finally, we are going to draft offense, and I predicted Tavon Austin and Tyler Eiferts. Then I said OK, we drafted a D-guy at 9, but at 13 we are definitely taking offense now. NOPE another D-guy (who turned out great).

So, as long as we have this Coach, I guess I am resigned to watching more outside Lb's and D-backs taken early this MAY, and then sprinkle in a few late round "skill" players passed over by 31 other teams. Oh Joy.

And now the, "Rex doesnt draft, the GM drafts" responses will be flying at this post so I am ready. Have at it.

Why? This is the exact type of team Rex wanted. I don't think he completely chose the players, but he definitely set the direction for the team when he got here, he wanted a top flight defense and a strong running game. He never gave two sh*ts about the passing game, so he obviously thought he could win the way the team is constructed.

This team is pretty much a direct reflection of the team Rex set out to build 5 years ago when he came on board, minus Revis.

Why? This is the exact type of team Rex wanted. I don't think he completely chose the players, but he definitely set the direction for the team when he got here, he wanted a top flight defense and a strong running game. He never gave two sh*ts about the passing game, so he obviously thought he could win the way the team is constructed.

This team is pretty much a direct reflection of the team Rex set out to build 5 years ago when he came on board, minus Revis.

But what if he had Peyton Manning? I'll tell you what: ALL THE TITLES!

the issue was more building for now instead of a future.  I know GM's need to win now or some other guy will reap the reward, but trading picks to move up bites you in the ass eventually if the QB you trade up for turns out to be dumb

It is on the GM to pick the players. otherwise Tannenbaum would still be here and Rex wouldnt. Someone deserves credit for the two recent AFC Championship games. As a side note the Patriots, and Ravens have picked less offensive players in the first three rounds since 2009.

The 2009 teams had holdovers from the previous regimes drafts. Including two 1st round Olineman in D brick and Mangold. Agreed tanny was too soft to GM the drafts. Basically his picks reflected the HC he was working with, while the trades and rentals were all his own. As for the Pats and Ravens, they have franchise QBs . And if you notice they aren't exactly offensive juggernauts this year.

the reason why this offense stinks so badly, right now, is because other teams are blitzing and  the QB isn't beating the blitz. it's that simple. they will send 5, 6, 7 or even 8 rushers and the QB needs to throw it QUICK and ACCURATE. that's life in the NFL if you can't beat the blitz you will get blitzed all day. 

the reason why this offense stinks so badly, right now, is because other teams are blitzing and  the QB isn't beating the blitz. it's that simple. they will send 5, 6, 7 or even 8 rushers and the QB needs to throw it QUICK and ACCURATE. that's life in the NFL if you can't beat the blitz you will get blitzed all day. 

Yeah, ok, great. It's also because the only offensive players from Tannenbaum's last five drafts still on the roster are Sanchez, Ducasse, Powell, Kerley, and Hill.

Are you the one that's always complaining about how we don't invest enough draft picks into the offensive line? LOL.

I dont know what other teams drafts look like in 09, 19, 11, 12, and 13 but looking at this list, over the past 5 years, these drafts have to rank at or near the bottom for drafts over this 5 year stretch. As I look at it right now, you have 5 years of drafts with ZERO, NADA, NONE, ZILCH pro-bowlers.

Yeah, I know, Wilkerson, Richardson, will go to Hawaii, some day, BUT as of right now NO PRO-BOWLERS in 5 years of drafts. Is this really the case or am I missing something? AND can any other team in the NFL over the past 5 years make this dubious claim?

I know one thing Rex is the best in the NFL at.

Can anyone Guess ?

I'll take a couple stabs:

1. Getting Offensive Coordinators fired

2. Drafting Qbs that consistently put up the lowest TQBR's in the NFL

3. Losing the most games after the BYE

I am not trying to be funny here, these I believe are all valid guesses

Are you the one that's always complaining about how we don't invest enough draft picks into the offensive line? LOL.

Yes. That's absolutely me. Everyone wants to argue "but we went to two championship games!!...we must have done something right!" We did do something right. Mangold, ferguson, Damien woody, Alan faneca, Moore, with Hunter as a backup. We ran very well and protected our young QB. subtract Faneca and add Ducasse. Subtract Woody and add Howard. subtract Moore and add Colon. No running game and bad QB play. Apparently the trenches only matter on defense. Where we drafted Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Richardson. but haven't added a decent Olineman in years.

Yes. That's absolutely me. Everyone wants to argue "but we went to two championship games!!...we must have done something right!" We did do something right. Mangold, ferguson, Damien woody, Alan faneca, Moore, with Hunter as a backup. We ran very well and protected our young QB. subtract Faneca and add Ducasse. Subtract Woody and add Howard. subtract Moore and add Colon. No running game and bad QB play. Apparently the trenches only matter on defense. Where we drafted Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Richardson. but haven't added a decent Olineman in years.

Very Interesting.

Archived