Would making the playoffs be bad for this team/organization?

CobraVerde

the giant log jam for that last playoff spot got me thinking. With a loss by other teams here and there and lets say a string of lucky wins with a strong defense shouldering a lackluster offense prone to self destruction, we happen to be the recipients of that last spot. Could that actually end up hurting us by making us believe the team is better than they actually are? 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playoffs are pointless. I remember Rexs first year we where like 50:1 to win after making the playoffs and I put money on it cause great line, running game and defense I thought we deserved better despite backing in. That was year one. Teams have figured out Rex, our line has deteriorated and yes we can stop the run but that means **** all because of that forward pass thing and every rule change in the last 10 years emphasizing it. So yeah, playoffs would just prolong the mentality of fighting for a wildcard every year as opposed to going after a SB

Here's how I see it:

We're not going to win the SB, so making the playoffs would be pointless. It would be a waste of time, and would most likely just cause more unnecessary injuries. 

If I believed that the Jets could win the SB, I'd root for them every game. But now, I just want a higher draft pick so that we can get closer to a SB.

Go back through the past 20 years and tell me how many QB's have won the Superbowl that are under 6'3" (Hint: its low).  Sorry last thing the Jets need is another shrimp in Manziel.

Boy, 2 tough questions or scenario's.

First, the question of "would making the playoffs be bad for this franchise?" We cn look back at other teams that made the playoffs by basically backing in and finishing the season at 8-8, or wasnt their ateam at 7-9 a few years back, and look at their fate's in the playoffs, where they ended up in the draft, and how they have progessed since.

Most teams that "back in" obviously face the 3 seed on the road and usually get spanked, and then comes the mockery that they didnt even belong in the playoffs (which most times is true), but of course you have that slim chance and hope that the 3 seed has a bad day, and you get a W (really much like the Jets did when they backed in when the Colts sat Manning), but in reality you will more than likely be ceremoniously knocked out in the 1st round, Now when this happened to the JETS they now thought we have a contender (which they probably did)and went ALL-IN on winning, and now it has come back to haunt them with a decimated roster.

I think for the LONG TERM future of a FRanchise, not being "fooled" into thinking you have a good team because you made the playoffs, its probably better to miss and get that better draft position, but for Hierarchy, the owners, the GM's etc., making the playoffs and justifying all that money you sink into a pro-football franchise, making the playoffs is a justification of sorts that you have a successful franchise.

The 2nd question of Manziel and especially vs Smith is a bit easier. Smith in a TERRIBLE draft for QB's dropped faster in the draft than the ball at times square after being thought of as a top 5 if not the top pick in the draft and has proven most GM's (to this point) that he is dreadful and desreved to fall, However Manziel is an absolute surefire 1st round pick, and I doubt he gets by the TEXANS, who will be drafting well ahead of the Jets.

The concern over Manziels height, and the argument that no QB below 6'3" will win for you is ludicrous, simply because most scouts refuse to give the shorter QB's a legit shot BUT when they do, they seem to be pretty good in some cases like WILSON of course, and to a lesser extent, Flutie. Even MONTANA was no giant.

Manziel as far as I'm concerned has just too good of a skill set to not succeed at the next level, and I will be thouroughly dissappointed if the JETS have a chance to get him and whiff on it.

Go back through the past 20 years and tell me how many QB's have won the Superbowl that are under 6'3" (Hint: its low).  Sorry last thing the Jets need is another shrimp in Manziel.

Manziel isn't just short, he doesn't have an elite NFL arm not to mention there being HUGE questions about his character and maturity. Though he's a famous national figure so it's very possible our moron owner falls in love with him and he's the next Jets QB.   

The Jets do not need another QB , the Jets need play makers like wide out ,at least 2 good one's ,give Geno 1 more season ,look at the Luck and the QB on skins those 2 are playing bad lately ,it take time to groom a QB ,the Jets having a good season , to be in the playoff hunt in December is a surprise ,everyone pick the Jets worst team in the NFL

The Jets do not need another QB , the Jets need play makers like wide out ,at least 2 good one's ,give Geno 1 more season ,look at the Luck and the QB on skins those 2 are playing bad lately ,it take time to groom a QB ,the Jets having a good season , to be in the playoff hunt in December is a surprise ,everyone pick the Jets worst team in the NFL

If the QB is playing the worst of any player in his position in the NFL there has to be accountability for that. 

yeah we need better draft day spot  and 1 or 2 playmakers  WR  TE maybe  a olb so yeah we will be lucky to win 8 games and i dont think we will.and if they get rid of rex who can take over nobody comes to mind

There are coaches all over the league who no one had heard of before they got their first job and who have a clue about offensive football. And there are always college coaches. Look how great Chip Kelly is doing with the eagles but that kind of move is probably beyond anyone with the Jets' foresight.  

Say's who? Because last time I checked Manziel is considered a much better qb prospect then Geno was coming out of college.

I have this strange feeling that Manziel to the Jets is almost destined to happen.  Maybe it's just that he feels like he'd fit in here because he's controversial.

Say's who? Because last time I checked Manziel is considered a much better qb prospect then Geno was coming out of college.

How many times do you need this team to pick a number one QB for you to finally understand you dont need to pick a QB in the first round to be successful???

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

come to mind right off the bat.

Would either of those coaches really leave their current situation for the Jets?  Saban isn't young anymore and his only NFL HC experience wasn't good.  I think Urban Meyer loves the college atmosphere plus he's just about to start playing BCS games w/ Ohio State.

Manziel isn't just short, he doesn't have an elite NFL arm not to mention there being HUGE questions about his character and maturity. Though he's a famous national figure so it's very possible our moron owner falls in love with him and he's the next Jets QB.   

Really he has an arm that can make all the throws in the nfl. It's not a cannon, but it can make all the throws in the nfl. Watch him play, he already settled concerns about his arm strength this year.

How many times do you need this team to pick a number one QB for you to finally understand you dont need to pick a QB in the first round to be successful???

Our odds at being successful are much higher if we choose a qb in the first round.

I don't care how much crow I eat for the rest of time, I don't want Manziel on this team under any circumstances.

Really, is it cause of his off the field concerns? Cause you do realize the greatest qb in jets history has a similar personality to Manziel.

Archived