Jets Should Consider Playing Garrard Over Geno Smith

flgreen

NY Jets should consider playing David Garrard over Geno Smith
Rex Ryan & Co. have inexplicably quarantined the Jets’ most experienced quarterback at a time when experience is in short supply. Geno Smith’s recent struggles have prompted questions about whether the Jets (5-6), still alive for a playoff spot, should make a short-term change at the game’s most pivotal position. Comments (13) NEW YORK DAILY NEWS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2013, 11:17 PM

jets-practice.jpg ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS  

David Garrard serves as a mentor for Geno Smith, but the Jets could use an experienced quarterback to help make a playoff run.

Rex Ryan surely could use a savvy veteran quarterback with playoff and Pro Bowl experience to help navigate through a watershed moment of the most critical season of his coaching career.

Wait. He already has one.

So, why has David Garrard always been an afterthought?

Ryan & Co. have inexplicably quarantined the Jets’ most experienced quarterback at a time when experience is in short supply. Geno Smith’s recent struggles have prompted questions about whether the Jets (5-6), still alive for a playoff spot, should make a short-term change at the game’s most pivotal position.

On paper, Garrard makes perfect sense: He has won in big moments throughout his career.

However, he’s apparently not even a consideration, slotted behind Smith and Matt Simms, who has two quarters of mop-up experience on his NFL resume, on the depth chart.

General manager John Idzik and Ryan welcomed Garrard back last month after his five-month retirement because he would not only be a terrific mentor for Smith, but could still actually produce on the field in an emergency.

Smith acknowledged this week that the 35-year-old Garrard has been an invaluable member of his “support system,” but the Jets’ decision-makers wouldn’t have used a roster spot on the veteran if they didn’t believe he could, you know, play at an NFL level anymore . . . would they?

“I definitely can play,” Garrard told the Daily News. “I wouldn’t be here if I couldn’t play. . . . I would have just come back as a coach.”

Garrard has always had pure intentions to help Smith hurdle weekly obstacles, but the Jets could use a quarterback to jump-start an offense that has been going in reverse lately. Ryan theoretically could turn to Garrard to start a game, or at the very least, bring him off the bench during one if Smith is struggling.

Ryan replaced a sputtering Mark Sanchez with Greg McElroy in the second half of the Jets’ 7-6 win over the Cardinals last season.

Why not try something similar with Garrard?

jets-saints.jpg COREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Geno Smith's struggles have hurt the Jets chances at making the playoffs this year.

Garrard retired two months after Idzik signed him in March due to a balky, surgically repaired knee that kept him out of the entire 2012 regular season. Garrard, who hasn’t played a regular-season game since 2010 with the Jaguars, rejoined the Jets last month with the expectation that he would help guide Smith through some inevitable rough patches. However, there was always a belief that the Jets wouldn’t have actually brought him back unless he could contribute on the field if needed.

Well, the Jets could sure use him now.

“I’m not trying to push that envelope until my number is called,” Garrard said. “So, for now, I’m being the best teammate that I can, the best guy to help Geno as much as I can, because everything’s new to him as far as what the other teams are doing and how to handle certain situations. I’m trying to give him that little bit of wisdom that I have to be able to help him not be hit by things off guard. Right now, that’s my role.”

It doesn’t appear that it will change anytime soon even though it probably should assuming Garrard is healthy. Garrard has been inactive for each of the past four games.

He was listed as probable on last week’s official injury report, but maintained that his knee is “the best it’s felt since I’ve been here, actually” and that he wants to try to extend his career “at least another year or two.”

“I’ve told these guys that I’d love to stay here, love to keep going,” Garrard said. “I don’t know if it’s in the cards for someone else to bring me in as a starter. If that’s not the case, I’d love to be right here and keep working with these guys and working with this staff.”

“My knee feels so good,” he added. “I want to keep seizing the opportunity. As long as I feel good, as long as I can continue to throw the ball around, I’ll keep going.”

Garrard should be the one to get some first-team practice reps, but his role during the week is confined to running the scout-team offense. So he hasn’t had many opportunities to work on his timing with the Jets’ primary pass catchers. He has tried to simulate game situations the best way he can in that setting.

Although Garrard is not lobbying for the starting job, he admitted that he “would be pumped” and “ready to go if they do call my number.”

On Wednesday, he turned back the clock at practice.

“I had a little read-option play,” Garrard said with a smile. “I got 15 yards on it. . . . So, I still got a little bit of that in me. Wish you could see it.”

I wonder why we haven’t.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-garrard-waits-geno-struggles-article-1.1532435#ixzz2m2nP3Cme

I suspect only Idzik knows the answer to that

It's pretty much because there is not one person employed by the Jets who doesn't have their head firmly logged in their ass when it comes to the QB position. Maybe the Wildcat QB coach will pick the next QB seeing as the Jets are the only jackasses who think you can still win games that way in the NFL.

If you're going to start anybody else at this point, it should be Simms, not Garrard.

Garrard is a gimp, hasn't played in 3 years, and offers no long term benefit to this team.

Not saying Simms is the answer, but maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and find something out about this kid that makes you believe he can be a long-term answer. If not, at least you find out for sure, and you're still no worse off than you are now.

But the Jets won't do it because their owner, the GM and their head coach are all dumb asses.

You can't keep trotting out the guy playing the worst of any QB in the NFL with zero accountability. Unless you're Rex Ryan because he's been doing that for 5 years. 

This is the crux of the problem, same as it was with Sanchez.  On any other team, if a player sucks for an extended number of plays/games they are pulled and replaced with someone else.  That just doesn't happen if you are a recent Jets QB.  Piss poor management on top of piss poor players.

It's time to dress Garrard.  I think he should play, but that would be an anti-Geno vote from me, not a pro-Gerrard vote.  However, why have him if there is no interest i dressing him?  We need an option to bring into the game if Geno is going through his sub 40% ways again.  We need to be able to bring someone in PRIOR to the game being over.

I've gotten laid more times since since 2011 than Garrard has throw NFL passes. That's pathetic.

Also, his knees may blow up like that episode of South Park where Kyle has testicles put into his knees and they blow up.

So put him in and when his knees blow up you put Geno or Simms back in. I'm not seeing the downside. 

So put him in and when his knees blow up you put Geno or Simms back in. I'm not seeing the downside. 

The downside is you can't go back to Geno once you replace him and the fact that Simms deserves the chance, if there is even going to be one.

There is not one inkling of ANYTHING that has said that Garrard has earned a shot or even proven that he is able to take the reigns. He hasn't done jack squat in three years and RETIRED earlier this year because his knees were so bad that he couldn't practice. He doesn't even deserve to be on this team really. He obviously can't play because if he could he would have at least been active once.  Obviously the dude just needs a paycheck, like Brunell.

The downside is you can't go back to Geno once you replace him and the fact that Simms deserves the chance, if there is even going to be one.

There is not one inkling of ANYTHING that has said that Garrard has earned a shot or even proven that he is able to take the reigns. He hasn't done jack squat in three years and RETIRED earlier this year because his knees were so bad that he couldn't practice. He doesn't even deserve to be on this team really. He obviously can't play because if he could he would have at least been active once.  Obviously the dude just needs a paycheck, like Brunell.

You can definitely go back. Why can't you? Because Mike Francesa said you cant?

You can definitely go back. Why can't you? Because Mike Francesa said you cant?

You're probably the guy who tries to get back with ex-girlfriends after they dump you to try to make it work. It doesn't work.

Either you bench Geno for the rest of the season or you let him play it out to see if it is at all salvagable. They did the in between with Sanchez last season to disaterous results. It doesn't work.

You're probably the guy who tries to get back with ex-girlfriends after they dump you to try to make it work. It doesn't work.

Either you bench Geno for the rest of the season or you let him play it out to see if it is at all salvagable. They did the in between with Sanchez last season to disaterous results. It doesn't work.

LOL. Where exactly in the football rulebook does it say that you can't stick Geno on the bench for a few games and then bring him back if Garrard sucks?

Disagree that you can't go back to Geno, agree that wheeling Garrard out there does nothing for anyone.

I'm a big Geno guy, but it's time to sit him. He's gone backwards, the talent around him has gone backwards, and the coaching staff's answer to it all is to have him run the full house option. Simply for self-preservation, they've got to get him out of what has become an untenable situation.

No way in hell do we start a has been that never was who hasn't taken an NFL snap in 2 years over a promising rookie who is making rookie mistakes. Isnt this organization a big of enough of a joke in the NFL without Garrard as the QB?  Come on guys im frustrated as the next guy but really?

There is not one inkling of ANYTHING that has said that Garrard has earned a shot or even proven that he is able to take the reigns. He hasn't done jack squat in three years and RETIRED earlier this year because his knees were so bad that he couldn't practice. He doesn't even deserve to be on this team really. He obviously can't play because if he could he would have at least been active once. Obviously the dude just needs a paycheck, like Brunell.

John Elway disagrees about being benched and then being put back in

No way in hell do we start a has been that never was who hasn't taken an NFL snap in 2 years over a promising rookie who is making rookie mistakes. Isnt this organization a big of enough of a joke in the NFL without Garrard as the QB? Come on guys im frustrated as the next guy but really?

Smiths last month at an has been an abomination. Garrard was set to be last years starter for the dolphins. The offense would instantly look light years better if they put him in. Teams couldn't consistently put 8 or 9 in the box.

Why can't you go back to Smith if Simms stinks? Where is this rule written? Is Geno SMith going to quit to write a hip hop opera or split the atom?

Smiths last month at an has been an abomination. Garrard was set to be last years starter for the dolphins. The offense would instantly look light years better if they put him in. Teams couldn't consistently put 8 or 9 in the box.

Will Hill turn into Calvin Johnson?  Salas Wes Welker and Nelson Dez Bryant  the WRs here suck if the Jets cut them no one would pick them up.

Will Hill turn into Calvin Johnson?  Salas Wes Welker and Nelson Dez Bryant  the WRs here suck if the Jets cut them no one would pick them up.

Your right about the Jets WR's being bad.

The QB also sucks, sadly he is showing nothing to indicate he is promising.  

Yet you defend Mark Sanchez's 4 years here.  Odd.

I like Garrard.  But say he leads us to 8-8 and 1 game out of the playoffs..... how does that help us in the long run?  

Yet you defend Mark Sanchez's 4 years here.  Odd.

I like Garrard.  But say he leads us to 8-8 and 1 game out of the playoffs..... how does that help us in the long run?  

it could show that our WRs don't suck that badly and a decent QB could work with them?

I don't think this is the case, but that could show us that theoretically

Yet you defend Mark Sanchez's 4 years here. Odd.

I like Garrard. But say he leads us to 8-8 and 1 game out of the playoffs..... how does that help us in the long run?

Sanchez never put together a 5 game stretch as horrible as this. He also had the stones to go on the road in the playoffs his first 2 years and step up.

Your second point is dumb. When you have a chance to make the playoffs you go for it. Who knows when you'll get there again.

Sanchez never put together a 5 game stretch as horrible as this. He also had the stones to go on the road in the playoffs his first 2 years and step up.

Your second point is dumb. When you have a chance to make the playoffs you go for it. Who knows when you'll get there again.

He put together four years of substandard quarterback play. Really, when you're talking about a QB that puts up a career 71 rating vs a rookie that puts up a 62, what's the difference?

stones you guys

Archived