Has the pendulum swung back in favor of College Coaches?

RSJ

Carroll, Harbaugh, Kelly, Marrone have all had decent success recently. The announcers in last nights game brought up a good point about drafting players you remember as high school players, etc. And explained it as a reason Seattle has hit so many home runs in the late rounds. So do you think that the pendulum is now in favor of hiring college coaches?

except for Kelly all of those guys have NFL experience. 

True - I think it says something that many of them did coordinator work at the NFL level (or even had stints as HC) and then went to college to earn their stripes as viable head coaches. 

I hope that the next hire for the Jets is a guy that has some head coach experience, either in his past or in college. No more over-promoted coordinator cutting their teeth by wasting season after season for us!!!!

David Shaw is pretty much a dream candidate, but I don't think he's leaving Stanford.

Side note: I am legitimately mystified as to what the hell Doug Marrone has done to impress anyone.

He's accomplished little more than Schiano, but managed not to be an a$$hole.

The HS players thing is interesting, didn't know they brought it up. Anyway mentioned something like this last night...the Seahawks roster is full of very well known late round picks, many blue chip recruits in HS...also the ridiculous turnover rate in this league mimics college, which loses players to the draft and graduation or whatnot on an annual basis...I feel like there's something there but not enough maybe?

I really do wish Shaw was a possibility here. O'Brien seems interesting. Saban might have learned a new trick by now but hes a God in Alabama and hiring him away might start another civil war.

The HS players thing is interesting, didn't know they brought it up. Anyway mentioned something like this last night...the Seahawks roster is full of very well known late round picks, many blue chip recruits in HS...also the ridiculous turnover rate in this league mimics college, which loses players to the draft and graduation or whatnot on an annual basis...I feel like there's something there but not enough maybe?

I really do wish Shaw was a possibility here. O'Brien seems interesting. Saban might have learned a new trick by now but hes a God in Alabama and hiring him away might start another civil war.

I think much like any program that has success, especially this quickly, any perceived reason for their success is going to be magnified and often exaggerated. The biggest reason for a lot of their success, besides hitting on Wilson in the third, is their first round investment in Earl Thomas paid off in spades and Richard Sherman became the best CB in football. The only really big name guy that I can think of whom dropped was Red Bryant, a lot of the other guys who are playing huge like Browner and Chancellor, were in the CFL or 2-star recruits. Those guys, combined with hitting on Wilson and stealing a prime-Lynch for a 5th rounder is what happened. 

We can all talk about going for athletes and top recruits, but if we did this and it failed, we'd have a lynch-mob out on our FO for: "only the jets would start a CB who was a converted WR and nothing but a track star in college (Sherman), another CB who was playing in canada for the last half decade, "or wow, how did we waste a 5th rounder on a guy on doesn't average over 4 ypc and is coming off a 500 yard season??..."  I mean hell, look at the grief Idzik was catching for giving a 4th for Ivory.  The bottom line, without hitting on Wilson and  Lynch/Sherman/Thomas/Browner/Bryant, I don't think we'd be looking towards them for doing anything out of the box.

True - I think it says something that many of them did coordinator work at the NFL level (or even had stints as HC) and then went to college to earn their stripes as viable head coaches. 

I hope that the next hire for the Jets is a guy that has some head coach experience, either in his past or in college. No more over-promoted coordinator cutting their teeth by wasting season after season for us!!!!

+100000000

We've promoted inexperienced coordinators time, and time again...and it always blows up in our face.  More than anything else, this is why I'm not a fan of hiring Bevell.  

Shaw, Whisenhunt, and Bill O'Brien...these are the type of guys we should be looking at.  Hell even Jay Gruden has experience as a head coach in the UFL (his team performed very well while he was there).  

If we're going to get a new head coach, get one who isn't learning how to be one on the job.

I think the NFL game is becoming more like the college game and that has something to do w/ it.  Maybe it's due to the rules changes that open up the offense.  I see a lot more wildcat type stuff these days.  The QB position has definitely changed at least somewhat.  Mobile QBs are in.

I think much like any program that has success, especially this quickly, any perceived reason for their success is going to be magnified and often exaggerated. The biggest reason for a lot of their success, besides hitting on Wilson in the third, is their first round investment in Earl Thomas paid off in spades and Richard Sherman became the best CB in football. The only really big name guy that I can think of whom dropped was Red Bryant, a lot of the other guys who are playing huge like Browner and Chancellor, were in the CFL or 2-star recruits. Those guys, combined with hitting on Wilson and stealing a prime-Lynch for a 5th rounder is what happened. 

We can all talk about going for athletes and top recruits, but if we did this and it failed, we'd have a lynch-mob out on our FO for: "only the jets would start a CB who was a converted WR and nothing but a track star in college (Sherman), another CB who was playing in canada for the last half decade, "or wow, how did we waste a 5th rounder on a guy on doesn't average over 4 ypc and is coming off a 500 yard season??..."  I mean hell, look at the grief Idzik was catching for giving a 4th for Ivory.  The bottom line, without hitting on Wilson and  Lynch/Sherman/Thomas/Browner/Bryant, I don't think we'd be looking towards them for doing anything out of the box.

How about that dude IRVING that they took with the 15th pick and people were freaking and now the guy is a monster? Whoever is scouting and picking for them look like EINSTEIN while we loo like Einsteins cat.

Nick Saban, is my choice and he could draft his QB, AJ McCARRON. Also, maybe he knows how to fix MILLNER because Rex dont have a clue on that dude, while Saban made him an all-american and the 9th pick in the draft.

Saban and O'Brien are Belichick guys and are therefore forbidden from working for the Jets.

There are only 32 jobs in the NFL so if a coach is serious about coaching in this league, they can't be too choosy. In Sabans case, he has it easy at Alabama so I could see him staying. O'Brien is a little different. The NCAA has sanctions on that program for at least two more years. He has had two winning seasons in  row with reduced scholarships and an impossible recruiting situation. He could easily go back to college if he fails in the NFL. Also, he will not top what Penn State is paying him by staying in college football. The situation is almost set up for him to leave for the NFL at any cost. As far as the Jets job, they have no place to go but up at this point which can be a selling point. All you need to do next year with the Jets is win more than 7 games and have your offense score more that 6 points a game. 

There are only 32 jobs in the NFL so if a coach is serious about coaching in this league, they can't be too choosy. In Sabans case, he has it easy at Alabama so I could see him staying. O'Brien is a little different. The NCAA has sanctions on that program for at least two more years. He has had two winning seasons in  row with reduced scholarships and an impossible recruiting situation. He could easily go back to college if he fails in the NFL. Also, he will not top what Penn State is paying him by staying in college football. The situation is almost set up for him to leave for the NFL at any cost. As far as the Jets job, they have no place to go but up at this point which can be a selling point. All you need to do next year with the Jets is win more than 7 games and have your offense score more that 6 points a game. 

Know this about O'Brien, he can work with QB's. What he did to help McGloin last year was remarkable. Hackenberg will be a true NFL quarterback, and had a tremendous freshman year.

The PSU situation is no longer untenable with the reduced sanctions, and they already have a top 25 class committed for '14, and bigger things expected in '15. PSU has reached the bottom and is now rebounding.

The NFL situation will need to be perfect for O'Brien as he now has a good thing at PSU, and he knows. I could see him being the successor for Bellichick, when he is ready to go. 

I would be surprised to see him jump this year, but anything is possible.

Know this about O'Brien, he can work with QB's. What he did to help McGloin last year was remarkable. Hackenberg will be a true NFL quarterback, and had a tremendous freshman year.

The PSU situation is no longer untenable with the reduced sanctions, and they already have a top 25 class committed for '14, and bigger things expected in '15. PSU has reached the bottom and is now rebounding.

The NFL situation will need to be perfect for O'Brien as he now has a good thing at PSU, and he knows. I could see him being the successor for Bellichick, when he is ready to go. 

I would be surprised to see him jump this year, but anything is possible.

Good stuff, I didn't know about the reduction and their incoming classes. He appears to be a great, great coach. I also believe he is credited for developing the Pats use of TE's when he was there. Maybe the Jets could get lucky for once.

Good stuff, I didn't know about the reduction and their incoming classes. He appears to be a great, great coach. I also believe he is credited for developing the Pats use of TE's when he was there. Maybe the Jets could get lucky for once.

I'm not holding my breath.  The one time we got lucky was when we got Parcells/Belichick.  But of course we let that whole situation completely slip through our fingers. 

Archived