Walt Michaels > Rex Ryan

Scott Dierking

There I said it. And it will draw fire from the Rex lovers as they will point to "record" and point to "winning seasons", etc.

I am tired of all the "Rex is the greatest head coach in Jets history", because:

1. the Jets history sucks and

2. It is just not true

When Walt Michaels coached the Jets he inherited a truly horrible and miserable team from the Lou Holtz year. That team scored 169 points, and allowed 383. Both numbers were 26th in a 28 team league. They were 3-11. It was a team that transitioned from Joe Namath to Richard Todd, as Holtz tried to run the option with Todd, with huge shoulder pads on him.

What people tend top forget about this time period is that teams did not traditionally make great strides or jumps year to year. This was the dynasty era, where there was no free agency, the great teams stayed great, and you had to rely on draft acumen in order to get better.

Michael's first year also produced a 3-11 mark, as his predecessor. But you saw progress. The Jets played a number of close games in December, only to fall short. But you saw the seeds being  planted. You could envision the progress.

Walt Michaels, who was primarily a defensive guy had a fellow by the name of John Idzik (Sr.) as his offensive coordinator. And Richard Todd, who was not much of a pro style qb, made progress. he learned. And began to take control of the offensive team. The jets did not have any great running back, they used a rb by committee mode. You began to see a click between Todd and Wesley Walker and Caster and Barkum.

1978 saw a huge leap in productivity for the jets. The Idzik offense finished 3rd in points scored! In mid-year, it looked like the Jets really had something, but they faltered in an OT loss to Cleveland, and then lost to Dallas. Demerits for Michaels there. They still did not have their defense under the defensive minded Michaels

I think the 1979 team underperformed. There were close losses and the pieces for Michaels defense were just coming together.

1980 was an abortion at 4-12. I can't remember all of the details for the slide, but it was a definite mis-step.

1981 and 1982 were the zenith years for Michaels and the Jets. One could almost make the argument they were the best team in the NFL during that period. Michaels did not bring them to the promised land, so there are more demerits. '81 ended in a painful painful playoff loss where they fell behind huge early, only to miss on a giant comeback late, and we all know the '82 debacle in Miami.

Was Walt Michael a great or perfect head coach? No! he had mis-steps with the team. he also inherited a horrid squad. One that had a qb who was not ready, was totally mis-used and devoid of confidence from Lou Holtz. And he developed that qb with his staff. He also architected a defense that Rex Ryan would be envious of.

Ignore the records, because they are skewed because of how teams are built now. Look at what was given to each coach, and evaluate what they did with those squads and how the needle rose under MIchaels, and is falling under Rex.

My opinion is that Michaels> Ryan.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your point?  Firing Walt Michaels was a major blunder.  Even with his alleged drunken tirade considered. 

My point is, as many have tried to prop Ryan up, is that "he is the best coach in jets history". I don't buy it.

It has no grounding today as to what the team does with rex, but is more an historical visit.

Walton was a decent enough coach, but he also was divisive and the team quit on him. The players viewed him as a team ownership extension when their were rifts between NFL and players at the time

Walton was another risk averse scared to pass idiot. The Jets had a pretty good team in 1986 and should have advanced to the AFC title game(Gastineau and scared playcalls). . No gimme they would've beaten the Broncos in Denver but we'll never know.

Walton was blackballed because he liked his pops and had a falling out with the Jets' front office man, Jim Kensil.

Does make the point if you don't have a great QB, you cna t least develope or find one.Gannon, Testaverde, Warner, and in Michaels' case Pat Ryan. Instead Wrecks throws up his hands and has them run the Wildcat. GTFOH.  

My point is, as many have tried to prop Ryan up, is that "he is the best coach in jets history". I don't buy it.

I've been trying to follow along on this great debate, and I'm pretty certain that not one person has said that Rex is the best coach in Jets' history. But your rebuttal to this imaginary stance has been outstanding.

I've been trying to follow along on this great debate, and I'm pretty certain that not one person has said that Rex is the best coach in Jets' history. But your rebuttal to this imaginary stance has been outstanding.

It is no "debate" just an opinion. There is nothing to get your birkenstocks in a lather about. 

You are really a defensive, reactionary guy.

Michaels was a good coach.  It was just as stupid of Leon to fire  him, as it would be for Woody to fire Rex.

Actually you made a good choice as a comparison, and a strong argument to not fire Rex 

Except, that Michaels teams were excelling at the team of firing, and Rex's teams are failing.

Little difference there

I've seen people say "Rex has given us the best period of Jets football in their history", which I guess could be extrapolated into "Rex is the best coach in Jets history".

Either statement redefines sadness.

Except, that Michaels teams were excelling at the team of firing, and Rex's teams are failing.

Little difference there

No,lots of difference there.

He had an NFL QB, not a great one, but one who belonged in the league.  

He also had the the Sack Exchange,  Freeman McNeil, Bruce Harper, Wesley Walker, Jerome Barkum, Mickey Schuler, and lo and behold Scott Dierking.

Yep little difference there

He also had the the Sack Exchange,  Freeman McNeil, Bruce Harper, Wesley Walker, Jerome Barkum, Mickey Schuler, and lo and behold Scott Dierking.

If you asked anyone in teh league at the time, Richard Todd did not belong in the league as he was being used.

Michaels picked up a shell of a qb who was abused by Holtz (literally)

So, assuming that there is no "perfect" trial period for a head coach (different situations), do you tie the life of the coach to the success of the GM? Rex's window should have probably gotten longer now on this premise since Idzik is going to need a few years.

If you asked anyone in teh league at the time, Richard Todd did not belong in the league as he was being used.

Michaels picked up a shell of a qb who was abused by Holtz (literally)

Actually, Michaels ****ed up Todd way more than Holtz did, benching him for Matt Robinson in '78 and pretty much destroying his confidence. 

Actually, Michaels ****ed up Todd way more than Holtz did, benching him for Matt Robinson in '78 and pretty much destroying his confidence. 

How did Todd manage to come back and prosper under Michaels then?

Ok genius, help us all out here. I laid my opinion on the line here-Why don't y ou go ahead and rank Jet HC's in order as you see them. Then we can all post dopey emoticons and little snippets to mock you. Go ahead.

So, assuming that there is no "perfect" trial period for a head coach (different situations), do you tie the life of the coach to the success of the GM? Rex's window should have probably gotten longer now on this premise since Idzik is going to need a few years.

IDK. I guess it depends on the performance of the HC, and how his players react to him.  Rex has been given two rookie QB's, not only rookie QB's, but bad rookie QB's.

Coming into this year most of the pundits had the Jets as the worst team in the NFL talent wise.  2-4 wins.  He's got 6 wins with 3 games to go.

I'm not terribly involved in the keep Rex, fire Rex debate, but I think he has earned an extension.  JMO  

Archived