Sheldon to Idzik: Don't Fire Rex Ryan

bitonti

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I disdain firing a coach, I look at teams like San Fran, who had I believe, was it Mariucci, then tried Singletary, then Finally got Harbaugh. Then I look at Seattle who I believe went through a couple including Holmgren and then finally settled on Carroll.

I mean, sure it sucks to fire your coach, but in the NFL, if you aint getting it done, you aint staying around, and 3 consecutive non-winning, non-playoff teams is basically the definition of aint getting it done. Sorry,the NFL job security for coaches is on average, about 4 years I believe, so if you are a coach in the NFL, dont get too comfy in that nice office.

Holmgren had a winning record, 4 or 5 div titles and coached them to the SB no? Also was GM.

PS, without the mythical  franchise QB.

As much as I disdain firing a coach, I look at teams like San Fran, who had I believe, was it Mariucci, then tried Singletary, then Finally got Harbaugh. Then I look at Seattle who I believe went through a couple including Holmgren and then finally settled on Carroll.

I mean, sure it sucks to fire your coach, but in the NFL, if you aint getting it done, you aint staying around, and 3 consecutive non-winning, non-playoff teams is basically the definition of aint getting it done. Sorry,the NFL job security for coaches is on average, about 4 years I believe, so if you are a coach in the NFL, dont get too comfy in that nice office.

yeah but carroll was going no where if they dont draft  Willson he is a goner a good QB will make any coach look very smart.  (i dont think carroll is that good without Willson.)

yeah but carroll was going no where if they dont draft  Willson he is a goner a good QB will make any coach look very smart.  (i dont think carroll is that good without Willson.)

This I agree with 100%, but yet we have people on this very forum, that have said things like:

"Lets keep drafting D-lineman, as it is working"

"Lets draft some weapons, first"

"Lets draft the BPA"

When what you said is that you simply need that FRANCHISE QB, and thats what made Pete Carroll the coach he is today. Could not agree more, and thats why the JETS first, top,A! priority is a Franchise QB, either by trading up in the draft or Free Agency. Bravo.

Carroll was smart enough to sit Flynn, a high priced free agent pick up and start the rookie Wilson. Big gamble that paid off.

well of course they don't want "Jets Day Camp" to end. A new coach may come in and then they would have to work for a living not play punch ball and eat snacks

Yeah, I'm sure the players who want Rex to stay have no desire to win. It's all about the snacks.

This I agree with 100%, but yet we have people on this very forum, that have said things like:

"Lets keep drafting D-lineman, as it is working"

"Lets draft some weapons, first"

"Lets draft the BPA"

When what you said is that you simply need that FRANCHISE QB, and thats what made Pete Carroll the coach he is today. Could not agree more, and thats why the JETS first, top,A! priority is a Franchise QB, either by trading up in the draft or Free Agency. Bravo.

yeah  im with you but man drafting QBs  you just never know if those kids can become something or just another bust and the nfl is full of them. with Geno we just dont know hate to move up in the draft and get another sanchez, know what i mean

Carroll was smart enough to sit Flynn, a high priced free agent pick up and start the rookie Wilson. Big gamble that paid off.

he sat flynn becouse he sucked and wilson made him look even more suckie it does not take a genius to see that wilson is 10 times better then flynn.point made  lol

Wrecks Ryan if he coached the Seahwaks-"Matt Flynn gives us the best chance to win". Which is why Matt Simms is not going to start a game this year. Wrecks is a small-minded fool.

if you look at this team, the only decent part is the DL. If you fire the guy who knows how to use the DL, will the team have any decent parts?  I see firing Rex as a step back. And maybe you'll agree when you see the names of those who could replace him. 

Wrecks Ryan if he coached the Seahwaks-"Matt Flynn gives us the best chance to win". Which is why Matt Simms is not going to start a game this year. Wrecks is a small-minded fool.

Or, Matt Simms is just a strong-armed jag, and the GM wants his draft pick out on the field, anyway.

if you look at this team, the only decent part is the DL. If you fire the guy who knows how to use the DL, will the team have any decent parts?  I see firing Rex as a step back. And maybe you'll agree when you see the names of those who could replace him.

So far, I have seen many names mentioned, and their is NOT 1 that I wouldnt take over Ryan:

Bevell

Shaw

Summerlin

Meyer

Gruden(either 1)

Cowher

Saban

And really, thats your "defense" that he fixed the D-line? So we are paying Head coaching money for D-Line coach? Wow.

The fact that he is a master motivator, that players will run through walls for this guy... that won't influence Idzik's decision?

Rex's motivational tactics seem to be powerful enough to get players to run through walls, but seemingly they fall short of getting them to run through goal lines.

I ******* hate those expressions.

Why?

Because they give zero consideration as to whether Rex puts the players in the best position to succeed. Look our offense, he obviously doesn't. Look at our secondary, he obviously doesn't.

If you want a ******* "master motivator" then hire Tony ******* Robbins.

I'm still waiting on some kind of evidence that Jets players are somehow significantly more motivated than players on other teams.

You can hate it because it's not about putting players in the best position to succeed.  I hate it because it is completely fabricated.

Sheldon simply wants the same perks as every other Rex guy. You know, the right to pretend tackle, miss tackles completely, be out of position occasionally, and commit a penalty or two per game and STILL be in the lineup. This is a BAD sign that a potentially great player wants to be a Rex guy like BARF Scott, Eric Smith, Kyle Wilson, Cromartie etc... instead of wanting a REAL HC who will instill discipline and a level of play that is well ABOVE what the Jets manage under Rex.

Slats. Your sarcasm on the snacks quote is true to an extent. I have seen MANY games under Rex where the Jets have failed to even show up. I mean IMPORTANT GAMES against Miami, NE, Pittsburgh, Cincy and NOT JUST this year. This has been going on since 2011 when the team missed it's shot at the SB TWICE. They have never and under Rex Ryan NEVER WILL reach those heights again. Rex is too much of a 'player's coach' and there has to be a bad guy to instill fear and discipline and that is simply NOT Rex's way. He would rather pat a guy on the back after a bad play and HOPE he does better the next time than to send a message to ALL the underachiever's by sitting or cutting the guy. Case in point - Kyle Wilson. He has been here for four years now and someone please tell me about ONE play you have seen him make. I can't think of one.

Sheldon simply wants the same perks as every other Rex guy. You know, the right to pretend tackle, miss tackles completely, be out of position occasionally, and commit a penalty or two per game and STILL be in the lineup. This is a BAD sign that a potentially great player wants to be a Rex guy like BARF Scott, Eric Smith, Kyle Wilson, Cromartie etc... instead of wanting a REAL HC who will instill discipline and a level of play that is well ABOVE what the Jets manage under Rex.

Yeah, Sheldon is just another lazy scumbag who wants to lie around on his fat ass and collect a paycheck, and he knows Rex is just the head coach/enabler to make that happen for him.

Excellent analysis.

If he is lobbying for Rex that is EXACTLY what he will turn out to be under him. Mark my words. I have seen this for better than 40 years and it's almost always the same. The Jets do NOT perform for player's coaches, they lay down and pretend to play hard. I don't think even YOU or bitonti can argue that Rex is NOT a player's coach.

TO A FAULT.

Players have always been very comfortable playing for Rex. Too comfortable

That is an area where Idzik needs to help Rex (unfortunately).  But that is something that can be solved, Rex is too loyal.  Many ex-players have said it, but Rex needs to make sure his focus is on what is best for the team right now.  This can be fixed.

Yeah, Sheldon is just another lazy scumbag who wants to lie around on his fat ass and collect a paycheck, and he knows Rex is just the head coach/enabler to make that happen for him.

Excellent analysis.

Actually, he is a smart businessman.

He knows how Rex hyped up Revis and Harris and others to get them monster contracts, he wants the same from Rex.

Much respect to you maxman, but it cannot be fixed. How can Rex suddenly turn around and be a hard a$$ on a team he has coddled his entire tenure here? The players will turn on him this quick if he tried to do that. No Rex has made his bed and will now have to answer for his many sins. Please John Idzik, fire this bozo and forget about continuity because with Rex the only constant will be losing and playing mediocre football.

yeah  im with you but man drafting QBs  you just never know if those kids can become something or just another bust and the nfl is full of them. with Geno we just dont know hate to move up in the draft and get another sanchez, know what i mean

I absolutely know what you mean.Its a risk, always is and always will be, but if you dont try you just dont have that chance that maybe you hit it big. Once you get "that guy" pretty much your franchise is set for the next 10 years or so.

Much respect to you maxman, but it cannot be fixed. How can Rex suddenly turn around and be a hard a$$ on a team he has coddled his entire tenure here? The players will turn on him this quick if he tried to do that. No Rex has made his bed and will now have to answer for his many sins. Please John Idzik, fire this bozo and forget about continuity because with Rex the only constant will be losing and playing mediocre football.

Just like a lobotomy cannot be undone...

Good for them. Rex's Christmas card list should be especially long.

This, in no way will influence Idzik's move.

Why do you think it's Idzik's move alone?

Last year Woody said that Rex would coach for at least one year more.  At no time did Woody say, "After that, John just tells me who he wants at head coach".

He doesn't have to be a hard ass.  I never said he needs to do that.

What Rex needs to do is be less emotional when coaching.  That part can be fixed.

I absolutely know what you mean.Its a risk, always is and always will be, but if you dont try you just dont have that chance that maybe you hit it big. Once you get "that guy" pretty much your franchise is set for the next 10 years or so.

yeah the colts do it with back to back QBs i hate them or just wish we were that good

Archived