Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

TS, what would Bevell's record have to be next year to be a success?

With any new coach, you start looking at records in Year Three of his regime. You'll judge Bevell/Shaw/whoever next year based on their improvement over the course of the year--is the quarterback developing? Are players buying into the schemes? How hard does the team battle when they get down? How are the young players progressing? If you see enough of those things, you get to be confident in the new coach. I think Joe Philbin is a good example of this--he inherited a mess and has righted the ship. His record right now is irrelevant.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With any new coach, you start looking at records in Year Three of his regime. You'll judge Bevell/Shaw/whoever next year based on their improvement over the course of the year--is the quarterback developing? Are players buying into the schemes? How hard does the team battle when they get down? How are the young players progressing? If you see enough of those things, you get to be confident in the new coach. I think Joe Philbin is a good example of this--he inherited a mess and has righted the ship. His record right now is irrelevant.

Year 3? Are you serious? There is no way a coach gets 3 years to win with an 8-8 or 7-9 team. 3-13, 6-10? Yes. NO WAY you get 3 years with this team. 7-9 or 8-8 is not a mess dude.

Year 3? Are you serious? There is no way a coach gets 3 years to win with an 8-8 or 7-9 team. 3-13, 6-10? Yes. NO WAY you get 3 years with this team. 7-9 or 8-8 is not a mess dude.

Maybe, but there's going to be a purge this offseason, with a bunch of new players coming in. Idzik isn't throwing band-aids on the roster like Tannenbaum did--he's building for the long term. When I say you look at the records in Year Three, I mean he's got to have the team in contention.

Its a mess, but superior coaching has disguised that mess.  This team could easily slip into the 4 win category with the wrong HC and another bad offseason by Idzik.  Easily.

I think the best we dare hope for is the next coach build a roster the coach after him can win with.

Its a mess, but superior coaching has disguised that mess. This team could easily slip into the 4 win category with the wrong HC and another bad offseason by Idzik. Easily.

It could, and it could just as easily be another 7-9, 8-8 team next year with Rex and you've burned another year.

I think the best we dare hope for is the next coach build a roster the coach after him can win with.

Its the same as the Idzik situation.  When he gets fired, we just have to hope that he doesnt **** things up so bad they're done for years to come. 

Maybe, but there's going to be a purge this offseason, with a bunch of new players coming in. Idzik isn't throwing band-aids on the roster like Tannenbaum did--he's building for the long term. When I say you look at the records in Year Three, I mean he's got to have the team in contention.

There is no need for band aids. By firing your head coach, you are saying that they were 7-9 and underachieved. They should have been 8-8 or better. This isnt a team with tons of free agents. Most of it is made up of young unknowns. Also, 10-12 draft picks and 30 million is plenty to go out and build the rest of it up correctly, even in one year. There is some good talent on this team. Most of them are so young they do not have reputations yet. 

It could, and it could just as easily be another 7-9, 8-8 team next year with Rex and you've burned another year.

Doubt it.  Rex has the team going in the right direction.  That direction could easily be derailed by the wrong Head Coach.

I can say this with confidence, the next Head Coach has HUGE shoes to fill.  Unfortunately, for him/her (I could see Idzik hiring a female), this team adores Rex Ryan and if the next Head Coach doesnt relate to the players like Rex can...look out!  Full mutiny.  This could end up being the worst decision in the history of man kind.

Its a mess, but superior coaching has disguised that mess.  This team could easily slip into the 4 win category with the wrong HC and another bad offseason by Idzik.  Easily.

That is my fear. You fire Rex and go 6-10 or worse, good luck getting people into that stadium. 

Doubt it. Rex has the team going in the right direction. That direction could easily be derailed by the wrong Head Coach.

I can say this with confidence, the next Head Coach has HUGE shoes to fill. Unfortunately, for him/her (I could see Idzik hiring a female), this team adores Rex Ryan and if the next Head Coach doesnt relate to the players like Rex can...look out! Full mutiny. This could end up being the worst decision in the history of man kind.

The team is most definitely not going in the right direction.

Kimberley A. Martin: Rex Ryan told players during Saturday's team meeting that the #Jets front office has already begun making calls to potential head-coaching candidates, per source.

#newsdaysportshttps://twitter.com/KMart_LI/status/415104290899099648

This seems odd to me. Seems odd that Rex would be aware that Idzik had started making such calls, and odd that Idzik doesn't have a clear cut choice in mind if he is looking to replace Rex.

The pro-Rex party is now advocating for another one-year deal. He's either your coach it he's not. You don't take half-measures with that position. It's stupid.

It's imperfect, but if Idzik hasn't completely made his mind up about Rex, and doesn't have someone he feels is a definite upgrade lined up to replace him, a one year reprieve isn't the worst option. If Rex goes somewhere else and outperforms his replacement on the Jets, the press will not be kind.

That sure sounds simple.

How is it not simple? 2 year extension. If Rex gets more players and goes 6-10. you get a new head coach. If you get a new head coach now that gets more players and he goes 6-10, while Rex goes 11-5 with the Lions, watch out. Then the Jets will REALLY be a joke.

This seems odd to me. Seems odd that Rex would be aware that Idzik had started making such calls, and odd that Idzik doesn't have a clear cut choice in mind if he is looking to replace Rex.

It's imperfect, but if Idzik hasn't completely made his mind up about Rex, and doesn't have someone he feels is a definite upgrade lined up to replace him, a one year reprieve isn't the worst option. If Rex goes somewhere else and outperforms his replacement on the Jets, the press will not be kind.

Idzik will bring in whoever he can convince to take the job.  Bottom of the barrel.  Rex will go on to coach a top 5 defense on another team as a DC.  

How is it not simple? 2 year extension. If Rex gets more players and goes 6-10. you get a new head coach. If you get a new head coach now that gets more players and he goes 6-10, while Rex goes 11-5 with the Lions, watch out. Then the Jets will REALLY be a joke.

It is these types of moves that get good GMs fired mid-way through their tenures.

it seems odd because that child Rex made it up in an effort to save his job,.now that it's out there Woody and Idzick will most defiantly fire him as would I, with all the pro Rex vs anti Rex batter, the simple reality is that this guy is just too childish and stupid to run a team for an extended period of time

I can say this with confidence, the next Head Coach has HUGE shoes to fill. Unfortunately, for him/her (I could see Idzik hiring a female), this team adores Rex Ryan and if the next Head Coach doesnt relate to the players like Rex can...look out! Full mutiny. This could end up being the worst decision in the history of man kind.

Max should shut down the site and just put up a static HTML page with this quote on it. It's that perfect.

Wow, making excuses already. Awesome.

Who's leaving in this great purge? Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie? Lol. He's going to have a ton of cap room to work with, and another 10+ draft picks. The roster had better be significantly improved next year. If Rex could squeeze seven wins out of this piece of crap of a roster, the next guy needs to be in the playoffs with the replenished roster he'll get to enjoy. There will be no tolerance for a losing season next year. None.

The team is most definitely not going in the right direction.

Improved on wins from last year with a worse roster.  Putting it all together at the end of the season.  Kudos to Rex.  He's done an incredible job.  Amazing in fact.

Pretty terrible if you ask me.  He's firing to fire.  No back up plan in mind. 

Idzik will either get extended or fired with is own guy in place. And that is how it should be. And it won't be Rex

Idzik will get a chance with his own guy, when Rex fails. Rex hasnt failed yet. Rex got hired by Tannenbaum who had already failed with Mangini. 

Idzik will get a chance with his own guy, when Rex fails. Rex hasnt failed yet. Rex got hired by Tannenbaum who had already failed with Mangini. 

That is not how these things work. Idzik already has 1 losing season on his ledger. If he has another next year with Ryan, he can't say "well I tried it with rex, he is gone, I am starting over". That is a luxury he nor anyone gets.

Rex is a goner now.

With all the talk of the players loving Rex there's really nobody that's not on D coming to his aide other than Geno, who is covering his own a##, geno knows new HC means new OC and new QB also most likely.....Rex is a D coordinator not a guy to run a program....he's the guy who wants to get in the defensive meetings and say.. "'listen we know our offense sucks so let's do this this or this rah rah"... Which he cant say as a head coach

Archived