Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was delighted to hear Rex say the axe is gonna fall. Jets played hard vs Browns. Milliner actually looked like a DB, Geno made excellent decisions. I wish Rex would have announced he was getting canned four games ago when it still mattered. The Jets looked like a competent football team and finished 6-2 at home. With a win in Miami, and they should be down after getting blanked in Buffalo, Jets would finish 8-8 and Rex would be fired with a winning record. Only the third HC in Jets history to finish above .500. But, there is no doubt in my mind that Rex has to go.

Or maybe it takes awhile to develop rookie talent? 

trying to figure out who's the worst of the goon squad..

TomScum is usually considered the armpit of JN but ScottDorking is catching up. 

LOL - let me know when you finalize the rankings.  I would love to check them out.

Since I started following the Jets in like 1980, I think Rex is the 2nd best coach we've had (behind Parcells, if that isn't obvious).  Now I know being 2nd best since 1980 on the Jets certainly isn't something to brag about.  But I'll just say that I would feel a little bit of hesitation letting Rex go, simply out of fear of the "ghost of SOJ". 

We don't have much to judge Idzik off of so far so we don't know what kind of coach he'll bring in.  If he brings in Bill O'Brien then I'll be thrilled.  But if it's some lesser known name then it's essentially our unproven GM bringing in an unproven coach. 

I know it's early, but assuming the Jets use their 30+ million in cap space, and 10-12 draft picks this offseason well. What would be an acceptable record next season from a new head coach? Would 7-9 be acceptable? 8-8? 

"well"

I guess that means they sign a veteran WR, back up QB, LG, and draft a pass rusher, WR, RB and TE

so like 12-4

The pro-Rex party is now advocating for another one-year deal. He's either your coach it he's not. You don't take half-measures with that position. It's stupid.

Does not matter. At this point in time the Rex conversation is over. He will go be a DC somewhere and produce a top five defense.  We will get a new unproven guy and probably have this conversation again in 2017.  Jets-4-Life biotches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anything the point differential shows that Rex did a good job coaching the team this year.  They won the close games.

Again, when you beat the Pats and Saints to advance to 5-4 then collapse down the stretch, that's a problem.  We collapsed 3 straight years down the stretch.  That's on Rex. 

I know it's early, but assuming the Jets use their 30+ million in cap space, and 10-12 draft picks this offseason well. What would be an acceptable record next season from a new head coach? Would 7-9 be acceptable? 8-8? 

I don't think people realize how many holes this team has....next year is the 2nd year in a 4 year rebuild - if we do 8-8 again with a new coach - we're probably right on track with the process.

Rex has done more to stay than he has done to get fired.  It's blatantly obvious to everyone other than Jets fans.

At best it's 50/50 on whether Rex earned an extension.  It's not "blatantly obvious".  Rex needed to make it clear to Idzik that he was an asset and that he was better than anyone Idzik wanted to bring in, I.E. "his guy".  He didn't.

I don't think people realize how many holes this team has....next year is the 2nd year in a 4 year rebuild - if we do 8-8 again with a new coach - we're probably right on track with the process.

I really don't think this team has as many holes as many people want to make it out to have in the modern NFL.

We are missing a QB, if Geno is not the guy, and we are missing a stud WR in order to be a very solid football team.

That could be gotten in one off season.

Teams in the modern NFL are just not stacked like they used to be, the era of parity means everyone has serious holes on their roster.

Does not matter. At this point in time the Rex conversation is over. He will go be a DC somewhere and produce a top five defense.  We will get a new unproven guy and probably have this conversation again in 2017.  Jets-4-Life biotches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not so sure about this, although I would not bet against it.

If Rex goes to a team with a big time QB, and weapons on offense all of whom are being paid handsomely, there may not be enough room in the cap to field the type of team Rex needs to be dominant.

Rex is a good defensive mind, but he's not a magician.

True, there are some holes - but they also have young players that should get even better and they have a ton of firepower (cap and picks). If a they go any less than 8-8 next year it will be a failure. If Idzik hires a new coach and that new coach goes 6-10, they should both be fired, immediately. 

I really don't think this team has as many holes as many people want to make it out to have in the modern NFL.

We are missing a QB, if Geno is not the guy, and we are missing a stud WR in order to be a very solid football team.

That could be gotten in one off season.

Teams in the modern NFL are just not stacked like they used to be, the era of parity means everyone has serious holes on their roster.

we're missing 2 OL, 2 WR, a TE or two, possibly a QB, the secondary is a mess and it would be nice to have a LB who could cover a speedy tight end once in awhile.

...yea..we're right up there.

we're missing 2 OL, 2 WR, a TE or two, possibly a QB, the secondary is a mess and it would be nice to have a LB who could cover a speedy tight end once in awhile.

...yea..we're right up there.

We are going to need some late round contributors, as well as some solid, cheap free agent signings that can contribute. This is where Idzik failed this offseason, and he cant do it again.

Kimberley A. Martin: Rex Ryan told players during Saturday's team meeting that the #Jets front office has already begun making calls to potential head-coaching candidates, per source. #newsdaysports

https://twitter.com/KMart_LI/status/415104290899099648

Damn!   Oh well, hope Idzik knows what he's doing.  Doubt it.

I love this place.

I'm sorry, is this college?  Does the NFL have a BCS system all of a sudden?  Is margin of victory taken into account at the end of the season?  NO?  Then, yeah, it means nothing.

Damn! Oh well, hope Idzik knows what he's doing. Doubt it.

I'm sorry, is this college? Does the NFL have a BCS system all of a sudden? Is margin of victory taken into account at the end of the season? NO? Then, yeah, it means nothing.

I'm going to miss you when you start rooting for whatever team Rex and Holmes end up on :(

Archived