Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

Don't know. I never said two wins or twelve. Maybe you should bark up a different tree with this nonsense.

I thought this team was worse than the one that went 6-10 last year, instead they've (so far) won seven. Year two of Idzik's plan -again, with $50M to spend and 10+ draft picks- should yield a team in the 10 win range (or better) whether it's Rex or someone else at the helm. Not sure why that's so unfair. Do you expect Bevell to suck his first year? Is that it?

No, I just find it highly amusing that bitter Rex fans now want to say that firing a coach coming off consecutive 8-8, 6-10, and 7-9 seasons is only justified if his replacement is Bill Walsh from Day One.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to throw this out there... Both extremes in this argument suck... It doesn't matter.  Keep Rex, Fire Rex, it's all about the talent.

Rex isn't the reason we lost those AFCCGs.  The "we came out flat" argument is nonsense for people who don't want to believe the other team was just a better team.  Rex absolutely can win a super bowl with a better QB and better weapons on offense.  

Maybe you blame him for not developing Sanchez, but I tend to think Sanchez was not very good from the beginning, just like every over-hyped USC QB who plays with an all-star team.  Maybe you blame Rex for Geno's rookie year.  I tend to think Geno was a raw guy with a lot of talent who had never taken a snap under center and then became an NFL starter on a team with about zero offensive talent.

This team should get an infusion of talent next year.  When that happens, they should be a better team than last year.  The biggest failure of THIS season was STILL the Sanchez extension, because it's a huge reason the talent stinks.  Next season, the disastrous moves that Tannenbaum made will just about all be gone, and this team is in pretty good shape to move forward.  If Geno improves, even better.  If not, there should be a capable back-up (which for those killing Idzik, should have been either Sanchez or Smith this year, but injuries happen in this league) that can take over and we can try again at the position.

In short, Rex wasn't the reason we sucked.  I also don't know that you can give him a meaningful extension after this year, but I'm warming to the idea of him starting the season on his current deal, or being given a 1-year extension.

Hell, Herm Edwards might have had a Super Bowl if Chad Pennington didn't have a lady arm.

No, I just find it highly amusing that bitter Rex fans now want to say that firing a coach coming off consecutive 8-8, 6-10, and 7-9 seasons is only justified if his replacement is Bill Walsh from Day One.

Bill Walsh was 2-14 his first season. I expect much better than that. Most people, reasonably, do. You, however, are already excusing John Idzik's hand-picked coach for a losing season. Now that's highly amusing.

I'm going to throw this out there... Both extremes in this argument suck... It doesn't matter.  Keep Rex, Fire Rex, it's all about the talent.

Rex isn't the reason we lost those AFCCGs.  The "we came out flat" argument is nonsense for people who don't want to believe the other team was just a better team.  Rex absolutely can win a super bowl with a better QB and better weapons on offense.  

Maybe you blame him for not developing Sanchez, but I tend to think Sanchez was not very good from the beginning, just like every over-hyped USC QB who plays with an all-star team.  Maybe you blame Rex for Geno's rookie year.  I tend to think Geno was a raw guy with a lot of talent who had never taken a snap under center and then became an NFL starter on a team with about zero offensive talent.

This team should get an infusion of talent next year.  When that happens, they should be a better team than last year.  The biggest failure of THIS season was STILL the Sanchez extension, because it's a huge reason the talent stinks.  Next season, the disastrous moves that Tannenbaum made will just about all be gone, and this team is in pretty good shape to move forward.  If Geno improves, even better.  If not, there should be a capable back-up (which for those killing Idzik, should have been either Sanchez or Smith this year, but injuries happen in this league) that can take over and we can try again at the position.

In short, Rex wasn't the reason we sucked.  I also don't know that you can give him a meaningful extension after this year, but I'm warming to the idea of him starting the season on his current deal, or being given a 1-year extension.

DON'T YOU ******* TELL ME TO BE REASONABLE!!!!

Again, when you beat the Pats and Saints to advance to 5-4 then collapse down the stretch, that's a problem.  We collapsed 3 straight years down the stretch.  That's on Rex. 

He should stop over achieving early.  That will fix the issue.

Hell, Herm Edwards might have had a Super Bowl if Chad Pennington didn't have a lady arm.

This is what they call a Post Of The Week!

While I agree with a lot of you say here, most people who are not just pure Rex apologists, and want Rex back, are pinning their hopes on Marty.

Personally, I think there are things that I like about Marty, but I am not convinced that he is a really good OC at this point in time, nor that he can develop a QB. He has been behind Reid all these years, so until he actually does it himself, the jury has to still be out.

I do find it curious at least that Marty basically had no other options as an OC and chose the Jets. This had to be the least desirable OC job available since Rex was clearly going to be on the hot seat, and there was no QB in place. That tells me he had no other options at all. That alone has me somewhat skeptical.

Rex isn't the reason we lost those AFCCGs.  The "we came out flat" argument is nonsense for people who don't want to believe the other team was just a better team. 

They were flat that game though. The missed tackles in the first half hadn't happened all season. Guys were getting blown off the ball- Roethlisberger was really just handing off. a 10 minute+ drive to begin a championship game against our defense that year...well, I dont think guys were ready to play.

I'm going to throw this out there... Both extremes in this argument suck... It doesn't matter. Keep Rex, Fire Rex, it's all about the talent.

Rex isn't the reason we lost those AFCCGs. The "we came out flat" argument is nonsense for people who don't want to believe the other team was just a better team. Rex absolutely can win a super bowl with a better QB and better weapons on offense.

Maybe you blame him for not developing Sanchez, but I tend to think Sanchez was not very good from the beginning, just like every over-hyped USC QB who plays with an all-star team. Maybe you blame Rex for Geno's rookie year. I tend to think Geno was a raw guy with a lot of talent who had never taken a snap under center and then became an NFL starter on a team with about zero offensive talent.the better team doesn't always have to win, look no further than the Giants runs

This team should get an infusion of talent next year. When that happens, they should be a better team than last year. The biggest failure of THIS season was STILL the Sanchez extension, because it's a huge reason the talent stinks. Next season, the disastrous moves that Tannenbaum made will just about all be gone, and this team is in pretty good shape to move forward. If Geno improves, even better. If not, there should be a capable back-up (which for those killing Idzik, should have been either Sanchez or Smith this year, but injuries happen in this league) that can take over and we can try again at the position.

In short, Rex wasn't the reason we sucked. I also don't know that you can give him a meaningful extension after this year, but I'm warming to the idea of him starting the season on his current deal, or being given a 1-year extension.

While I agree with a lot of you say here, most people who are not just pure Rex apologists, and want Rex back, are pinning their hopes on Marty.

Personally, I think there are things that I like about Marty, but I am not convinced that he is a really good OC at this point in time, nor that he can develop a QB. He has been behind Reid all these years, so until he actually does it himself, the jury has to still be out.

I do find it curious at least that Marty basically had no other options as an OC and chose the Jets. This had to be the least desirable OC job available since Rex was clearly going to be on the hot seat, and there was no QB in place. That tells me he had no other options at all. That alone has me somewhat skeptical.

When Geno Smith ultimately rewards his guys after the season, he should probably order one extra gift for the MVP in his development: Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

Joe Montana understood. He once doled out Presidential Rolexes to his linemen . . . and offensive coordinator Mike Holmgren.

Smith became only the second rookie quarterback in the last 20 years to earn AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors in the first five weeks after rallying the Jets to a road win on Monday night.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-remember-gift-marty-gave-article-1.1481301#ixzz2oKoaJ4LM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-remember-gift-marty-gave-article-1.1481301#ixzz2oKoK0tgZ

Damn dude, besides shaping that Hall of Famer, you're totally on point. Good post.

The pro-Rex party is now advocating for another one-year deal. He's either your coach it he's not. You don't take half-measures with that position. It's stupid.

I said 1 year extension, that gives him 2 years now under contract instead of 1, and puts you in the same position next year if you want to fire him, IF Rex gets canned in those 2 years then Idzik gets 1 HC to hire after Rex before he goes on the hot seat. If Idzik fires Rex, and hires a new HC he is on the hot seat the minute that HC doesn't work out (if he doesn't, but come on we're talking about the Jets if course he won't work out) IMO. So keeping Rex around 1 to 2 more years in essence buys Idzik more time on the job to.

Again, when you beat the Pats and Saints to advance to 5-4 then collapse down the stretch, that's a problem. We collapsed 3 straight years down the stretch. That's on Rex.

So Geno Smith being the worst QB in the NFL the last 5 years during those 3 games has nothing to do with it? You honestly think (insert in your opinion the greatest HC of all time) would have won any of those games with Smith playing that way?

So Geno Smith being the worst QB in the NFL the last 5 years during those 3 games has nothing to do with it? You honestly think (insert in your opinion the greatest HC of all time) would have won any of those games with Smith playing that way?

Hmmm, I am having trouble remembering, who did we lose to? Was it Buffalo, Baltimore, and Miami? Is that correct because if it was, then I dont even need to go to HOF coaches to guess that with another coach, just based on the law of averages that we would have won one of those. dont you think?

This is all moot, because it is Idzik making these determinations. I am positive he has other directions he will want to go.

Bill Walsh was 2-14 his first season. I expect much better than that. Most people, reasonably, do. You, however, are already excusing John Idzik's hand-picked coach for a losing season. Now that's highly amusing.

Most reasonable people would wait until Idzik makes a single offseason move before they begin to talk about expectations, otherwise those people might reveal themselves to simply being bitter over Rex's imminent firing.

Most reasonable people would wait until Idzik makes a single offseason move before they begin to talk about expectations, otherwise those people might reveal themselves to simply being bitter over Rex's imminent firing.

Again - $50M in cap room and 10+ draft picks. You don't expect major improvements to the roster next year?

Well, jeez, why not just take all the fun out of it?

With any new coach, you start looking at records in Year Three of his regime. You'll judge Bevell/Shaw/whoever next year based on their improvement over the course of the year--is the quarterback developing? Are players buying into the schemes? How hard does the team battle when they get down? How are the young players progressing? If you see enough of those things, you get to be confident in the new coach. I think Joe Philbin is a good example of this--he inherited a mess and has righted the ship. His record right now is irrelevant.

So basically every thing the current NY Jets are doing, QB improving developing (mid 80's QB rating the last 3 games going 2-1) check, players buying into the scheme (every player telling anyone who will listen that Rex is the guy) check, Young players progression, we already discussed the QB, have DROY possibly, 3rd year all pro DE, undrafted FA DT 2nd year stud, Rookie 1st round CB improving weekly, 2nd year OLB/DE improving when healthy, WR Kerley stepping up big in his 3rd year when healthy, among some other young players, not to many around thou because the former idiot GM traded away all out draft picks) CHECK, down 10-0 yesterday, battled back with the season over in a meaningless game, and didn't quit on this coaching staff! CHECK!

Looks like you want from the potential new HC that your current one has done this year so why make the change to have to wait 3 years to get back to where we currently are?

Again - $50M in cap room and 10+ draft picks. You don't expect major improvements to the roster next year?

If Idzik uses those resources to trade for Kirk Cousins and sign Eric Decker, Brian Orakpo, and draft Sammy Watkins, my expectation will be different than if he uses those resources to lock up Wilkerson, trade up for Teddy Bridgewater, and sign Jairus Byrd.

They were flat that game though. The missed tackles in the first half hadn't happened all season. Guys were getting blown off the ball- Roethlisberger was really just handing off. a 10 minute+ drive to begin a championship game against our defense that year...well, I dont think guys were ready to play.

You're simply not going to convince me that the difference between a win and a loss against the Steelers was a good motivational speech.

So basically every thing the current NY Jets are doing, QB improving developing (mid 80's QB rating the last 3 games going 2-1) check, players buying into the scheme (every player telling anyone who will listen that Rex is the guy) check, Young players progression, we already discussed the QB, have DROY possibly, 3rd year all pro DE, undrafted FA DT 2nd year stud, Rookie 1st round CB improving weekly, 2nd year OLB/DE improving when healthy, WR Kerley stepping up big in his 3rd year when healthy, among some other young players, not to many around thou because the former idiot GM traded away all out draft picks) CHECK, down 10-0 yesterday, battled back with the season over in a meaningless game, and didn't quit on this coaching staff! CHECK!

Looks like you want from the potential new HC that your current one has done this year so why make the change to have to wait 3 years to get back to where we currently are?

Because Rex has had five years here and has taken the organization backwards.

You're simply not going to convince me that the difference between a win and a loss against the Steelers was a good motivational speech.

Who says a lack of a motivational speech was the reason they were flat?

I think they were mentally drained and the exhaling after beating the Pats led to a let down effort. That does fall on the coaching staff.

My favorite part of this argument is that so many people blame Rex for not replacing the veteran leadership that was on those teams.  That same veteran leadership that let the team come out flat.  Like seriously?  You need a Head Coach to make sure you dont come out flat for a chance to play for the Super Bowl? lmfao  Jets fans

I left a little fun because it's Christmas. Happy Holidays!

Rex will ruin your holidays, be careful

I enjoyed your post, but I think it's a little too simplistic to attribute a three year slide to, "eh, Sanchez stinks."

There were a lot more reasons, but I tend to believe most of them have to do with the man you almost had emblazoned upon your chest.

And, we can't know how much control Rex had in personnel, and if it was any more than an opinion considered by the GM, than that falls on the GM too.

Archived