Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were a lot more reasons, but I tend to believe most of them have to do with the man you almost had emblazoned upon your chest.

Still can't believe I did that. I don't even like sick kids.

And, we can't know how much control Rex had in personnel, and if it was any more than an opinion considered by the GM, than that falls on the GM too.

I won't re-re-re-re-re-re-rehash my Rex complaints here, but a head coach has more to do with bringing along talent than making draft picks. Bad players tend to follow bad coaches around; good players tend to end up on teams with good coaches.

Who says a lack of a motivational speech was the reason they were flat?

I think they were mentally drained and the exhaling after beating the Pats led to a let down effort. That does fall on the coaching staff.

If they were mentally drained after the beating of the Pats, so much so that they couldn't recover for the next week, then that's what it took to get that team to play up and beat the Pats.  If we make this argument, which is suspect at best, then we should also argue that we should have 'left something in the tank' for the following week.  Had they done that, then maybe we're not having this conversation because we don't beat the Pats.  Then there'd be no "can't wait" and no "letdown" against the Steelers.  Hell, if Alge Crumpler makes a routine catch, we don't have this conversation anyway.

If they were mentally drained after the beating of the Pats, so much so that they couldn't recover for the next week, then that's what it took to get that team to play up and beat the Pats.  If we make this argument, which is suspect at best, then we should also argue that we should have 'left something in the tank' for the following week.  Had they done that, then maybe we're not having this conversation because we don't beat the Pats.  Then there'd be no "can't wait" and no "letdown" against the Steelers.  Hell, if Alge Crumpler makes a routine catch, we don't have this conversation anyway.

Which is an indictment of Rex imo. Eventually relying on emotion falls on deaf ears. The highs and lows are too extreme....might have something to do with this team not winning two games in a row this year. Rex is an emotional guy- we all know this. How healthy is that for a football team long term?

There were a lot more reasons, but I tend to believe most of them have to do with the man you almost had emblazoned upon your chest.

And, we can't know how much control Rex had in personnel, and if it was any more than an opinion considered by the GM, than that falls on the GM too.

Exactly.

If Idzik can do his job, Rex can do a good job for him. If Idzik decides to go in another direction, he needs to do better than Rex. And even the most ardent anti-Rex folks around here acknowledge that he's no worse than the fourth best head coach in franchise history. I don't think he's nearly as easy to improve upon as some would have us believe.

Which is an indictment of Rex imo. Eventually relying on emotion falls on deaf ears. The highs and lows are too extreme....might have something to do with this team not winning two games in a row this year. Rex is an emotional guy- we all know this. How healthy is that for a football team long term?

Yes because Rex has never won 2 games in a row before.

Yup.

Idzik set himself up for next year by passing on this one. Next year, he absolutely has to follow thru. With $50M in cap space, 10+ draft picks, and (for argument's sake) his hand-picked head coach, the team had better show improvement year one. Every new Jets head coach since Bill Parcells has improved upon the record of his predecessor in his first year. Idzik's guy doesn't get a pass. Not at all. Expectations will be high.

And, for the record, if Rex is brought back, expectations will be very high for him as well for the same reasons. There should be lots of new & improved talent on the roster next year.

This

Last year, or a failed next year was/is the time to fire Rex, not this year with what this team did, Idzik took this job knowing the circumstances, if he doesn't care, and fires him anyway then he just put the burner on underneath his seat, if Rex comes back, and fails 1 more year then Idzik is still going to get that chance with his guy.

This

Last year, or a failed next year was/is the time to fire Rex, not this year with what this team did, Idzik took this job knowing the circumstances, if he doesn't care, and fires him anyway then he just put the burner on underneath his seat, if Rex comes back, and fails 1 more year then Idzik is still going to get that chance with his guy.

Again, wy would a REX supporter even say "If Rex comes back and fails"? If you want him back, then you obviously must believe that he wont fail or you wouldnt want him back. correct.

So why do we keep hearing things like, give him one more year and if he fails

or

He needs to go 1 more year with a better roster, and then if he fails

etc.

If you want him back, then obviously you believe he WONT fail, why the ultimatum based on Failure? I dont get it.

I won't re-re-re-re-re-re-rehash my Rex complaints here, but a head coach has more to do with bringing along talent than making draft picks. Bad players tend to follow bad coaches around; good players tend to end up on teams with good coaches.

I agree, but only to a certain degree.  I think Rex was given some really awful guys to work with, by a GM who placed no value in the draft.  Yes, Rex is too loyal, and probably drank the Holmes Kool-Aid too much, but in that regard, he should be rained in and the contract falls on Tannenbaum.

If you believe that Tannenbaum was AS much of a mess as I do, and I thought you did, you can't think Rex is THAT terrible.  The two have to be at least somewhat mutually exclusive, because Rex's coaching was a direct result of Tannebaum's decision making.

Most of this all comes back to the fact that I think most coaches are largely interchangeable.  John Fox gets fired from one gig and is now a hero.  Belichick comes under fire here with the whole w/ or w/o Brady argument.  I guess the difference is, despite his bluster and the stupid sh*t he says, I really did agree with him when he said if he had a great QB, he'd have won by now.  And, I don't blame him for Sanchez being terrible.

If it was "emotion" we were relying on, and not confusing Brady, as was widely cited, then it worked under the circumstances and I respect a guy who did what he could to will a lesser team to victory.  Little Mac doesn't beat Tyson as simply a boxer.  Give Rex (or any NFL coach for that matter) a competent QB, and he can win a championship.  I believe the gap between best and worst coach isn't as large as we'd like to believe.

Again, wy would a REX supporter even say "If Rex comes back and fails"? If you want him back, then you obviously must believe that he wont fail or you wouldnt want him back. correct.

So why do we keep hearing things like, give him one more year and if he fails

or

He needs to go 1 more year with a better roster, and then if he fails

etc.

If you want him back, then obviously you believe he WONT fail, why the ultimatum based on Failure? I dont get it.

There are no givens, and absolutes in this world. And I am not a Rex lover to death here, I'm just calling it how I see it, Rex has done a terrific job this season, and deserves a chance to prove he has learned from his past failures as a HC, last year if fired you couldn't really argue that, and if Rex proves to not have learned from past mistakes like he is doing this season IMO then yes you have to fire him.

IMO if Rex stays the Jets will have a HC for another 5 years because I think Rex is the right guy after this season, I've been wrong a million times, so what's one more?

Also all the If's are there because I don't make the decisions so I HAVE to use words like IF when discussing this topic, Idzik on the other hand shouldn't.

This is all moot, because it is Idzik making these determinations. I am positive he has other directions he will want to go.

His direction will largely be influenced by his employer.  Have you forgotten the reason Rex is even here is because Woody has his back.

I recall a statement from back in Aug where Woodrow asked us all to be patient.  He didn't expect a .500 team -- he expected a train wreck.

It stands to reason that Rex has exceeded his expectations which would indicate he may urge Idzik to keep him on board. 

I don't suspect Woody will demand anything but a couple verbal affirmations of the great job Rex has done in keeping the team together should do the trick.

I'll bet you were the guy who knew that bringing back Pete Carroll into the league, or hiring the Eagles' special teams coach, was going to work. You sound really smart, like you'd be able to predict which assistants are guaranteed to be great head coaches and are able to sniff out which ones will suck. I imagine you're that guy who thinks hiring Bill Cowher is the only way to go because, in your mind, an NFL Assistant has never taken a head coaching job and succeeded. You're like a genius. Thank you for your valued insight.

Nope, I was big on Cheat Carroll. And you know what's funny about Carroll, he was a hot shot college coach. Also, Harbaugh is the exception, not the standard. It's way more likely that your boy Bevell will go in and suck then become the next Harbaugh. What's funny is we have more info on your boy Bevell then we did on Harbaugh, and seeing as how he only succeeded when he road the coat tails of great qbs, me thinks he's going to be a sh*t head coach. Besides, I find it funny that you bring up Harbaugh, Cowher, and Carroll who are defensive minded head coaches and then clamor to fire Rex who is considered a defensive mastermind in favor of Bevell who isn't even near the top oc in the league. Funny huh.

And to add on to the bullsh*t your spewing out, I can play your game to. What if the Steelers fired Cowher before those 14 years it took him to win the Super Bowl? Based on your logic, the Steelers should have fired his ass a long time ago cause he didn't win it all in favor of a no name offensive coordinator who has only had success when he has had great qbs. Which brings us to the final point of how you notice how all those genius head coaches all have great qbs. Weird coincidence, huh. Do you really believe people would be saying Bellicheat or Payton were geniuses if they didn't have Brees or Brady? Get out of here.

Nope, I was big on Cheat Carroll. And you know what's funny about Carroll, he was a hot shot college coach. Also, Harbaugh is the exception, not the standard. It's way more likely that your boy Bevell will go in and suck then become the next Harbaugh. What's funny is we have more info on your boy Bevell then we did on Harbaugh, and seeing as how he only succeeded when he road the coat tails of great qbs, me thinks he's going to be a sh*t head coach. Besides, I find it funny that you bring up Harbaugh, Cowher, and Carroll who are defensive minded head coaches and then clamor to fire Rex who is considered a defensive mastermind in favor of Bevell who isn't even near the top oc in the league. Funny huh.

And to add on to the bullsh*t your spewing out, I can play your game to. What if the Steelers fired Cowher before those 14 years it took him to win the Super Bowl? Based on your logic, the Steelers should have fired his ass a long time ago cause he didn't win it all in favor of a no name offensive coordinator who has only had success when he has had great qbs. Which brings us to the final point of how you notice how all those genius head coaches all have great qbs. Weird coincidence, huh. Do you really believe people would be saying Bellicheat or Payton were geniuses if they didn't have Brees or Brady? Get out of here.

What I got from this is that you think we should give Rex 14 years to win a Super Bowl.

If it was "emotion" we were relying on, and not confusing Brady, as was widely cited, then it worked under the circumstances and I respect a guy who did what he could to will a lesser team to victory.  Little Mac doesn't beat Tyson as simply a boxer.  Give Rex (or any NFL coach for that matter) a competent QB, and he can win a championship.  I believe the gap between best and worst coach isn't as large as we'd like to believe.

It's Rex's job to find a competent QB.

And coaching matters, a lot. Belichick's the best ever because he found Brady and he's been able to scheme defenses that have beaten arguably the only QB better than his.

Seems like your argument is once a coach finds a QB he just kicks his feet up and the rings just pile up.

Bill Walsh was 2-14 his first season. I expect much better than that. Most people, reasonably, do. You, however, are already excusing John Idzik's hand-picked coach for a losing season. Now that's highly amusing.

Deep down, T0m already knows Bevell is a worthless piece of sh!t. So he's setting the bar way low. Very bitonti-like.

I agree, but only to a certain degree. I think Rex was given some really awful guys to work with, by a GM who placed no value in the draft. Yes, Rex is too loyal, and probably drank the Holmes Kool-Aid too much, but in that regard, he should be rained in and the contract falls on Tannenbaum.

If you believe that Tannenbaum was AS much of a mess as I do, and I thought you did, you can't think Rex is THAT terrible. The two have to be at least somewhat mutually exclusive, because Rex's coaching was a direct result of Tannebaum's decision making.

Most of this all comes back to the fact that I think most coaches are largely interchangeable. John Fox gets fired from one gig and is now a hero. Belichick comes under fire here with the whole w/ or w/o Brady argument. I guess the difference is, despite his bluster and the stupid sh*t he says, I really did agree with him when he said if he had a great QB, he'd have won by now. And, I don't blame him for Sanchez being terrible.

See your point, but I think there are enough apparent flaws that have been put on display over his tenure to fire him. I can't really engage in the hypotheticals where Rex has the quarterback because you can make that argument for every coach that's ever failed. The argument to keep him always wheedles down to "if he's allowed to just coordinate the defense..." which I don't find all that compelling. As terrible as Tannenbaum was, I look at it in reverse--he needed the coach to control him, and not the other way around. Tannenbaum's great fault was that he was entirely beholden to his coach to tell him what to do. Adding him to Rex was a recipe for disaster because both of them were essentially kids in need of parenting. While I'm sure Idzik isn't as reliant on Rex to run the team, I think Idzik could do a lot better than having a needy man-baby as his head coach.

EY dropping that old school logic.  This boy is gifted.  Rex has made noise with the ground chuck of QB's.  Imaigne what he can do with that NY strip? Rex has a good a chance to win as anyone with a quality QB.  >realtalk<

See your point, but I think there are enough apparent flaws that have been put on display over his tenure to fire him. I can't really engage in the hypotheticals where Rex has the quarterback because you can make that argument for every coach that's ever failed. The argument to keep him always wheedles down to "if he's allowed to just coordinate the defense..." which I don't find all that compelling. As terrible as Tannenbaum was, I look at it in reverse--he needed the coach to control him, and not the other way around. Tannenbaum's great fault was that he was entirely beholden to his coach to tell him what to do. Adding him to Rex was a recipe for disaster because both of them were essentially kids in need of parenting. While I'm sure Idzik isn't as reliant on Rex to run the team, I think Idzik could do a lot better than having a needy man-baby as his head coach.

Trash

Belichick went 11-5 with Cassell. The guy was shutting down the Niners in the 80's. He's probably the most innovative defensive mind in NFL history and has run a program in New England that's pretty much the gold standard.

Are the Pats shutting down the Colts in the early 2000's without Belichick? He's the only guy who's been able to out Peyton, Peyton.

EY dropping that old school logic. This boy is gifted. Rex has made noise with the ground chuck of QB's. Imaigne what he can do with that NY strip? Rex has a good a chance to win as anyone with a quality QB. >realtalk<

Where is he going to get this quarterback you guys keep referencing?

Belichick went 11-5 with Cassell. The guy was shutting down the Niners in the 80's. He's probably the most innovative defensive mind in NFL history and has run a program in New England that's pretty much the gold standard.

Are the Pats shutting down the Colts in the early 2000's without Belichick? He's the only guy who's been able to out Peyton, Peyton.

Zero coaches have had success in Cleveland since Paul Brown.

Where is he going to get this quarterback you guys keep referencing?

From Santa, the same one that dropped off Brady to the Pats silly.

You don't identify and develop them, you write a letter to Santa telling him you've been a really good boy, and if he believes you he hands you a top flight ready to roll QB!

Zero coaches have had success in Cleveland since Paul Brown.

For as great Brady is and has been...Peyton's the only one who's also the OC of his team. So the argument of just getting Rex a QB and everything will work out on its own...meh. Unless that QB were Peyton- you still need to have a quality HC to become a solid NFL franchise.

And if the story was accurate Peyton had zero interest coming here anyways.

For as great Brady is and has been...Peyton's the only one who's also the OC of his team. So the argument of just getting Rex a QB and everything will work out on its own...meh. Unless that QB were Peyton- you still need to have a quality HC to become a solid NFL franchise.

And if the story was accurate Peyton had zero interest coming here anyways.

You've gotta make the bed for any quarterback, otherwise they're fighting uphill. We've seen it with the struggles of the Steelers and Chargers even though they have elite QBs. The whole organization has to be committed to developing that one guy. Rex does not understand this. He thinks the QB is just along for the ride.

All I know is I would hate to see what Rex Ryan would do with those 10 draft picks-using the 1st rounder on the best hybrid DE-LBer he could find and waste another on a CB and a TE maybe and pick another useless RB that will be gone in two years. The guy doesn't draft well and this being the most important Jets draft since 2000 I want an offensive-minded coach elbowing the GM and the scouts, not Rex and his defensive minded approach or we'll be reading all about the next big defensive stud who is going to move mountains and sack Brady all day for Rex. Been there, done that. Give this Jets fan a more forward thinking head coach who wants to score 44 points a game and not dream about when Mike Singletary and Richard Dent beat the Steve Grogan Patriots. Note to Rex Ryan and his fans: The 80's are gone, ground and pound was a novel approach when it wasn't 65 degrees at the end of December up north.

All I know is I would hate to see what Rex Ryan would do with those 10 draft picks-using the 1st rounder on the best hybrid DE-LBer he could find and waste another on a CB and a TE maybe and pick another useless RB that will be gone in two years. The guy doesn't draft well and this being the most important Jets draft since 2000 I want an offensive-minded coach elbowing the GM and the scouts, not Rex and his defensive minded approach or we'll be reading all about the next big defensive stud who is going to move mountains and sack Brady all day for Rex. Been there, done that. Give this Jets fan a more forward thinking head coach who wants to score 44 points a game and not dream about when Mike Singletary and Richard Dent beat the Steve Grogan Patriots. Note to Rex Ryan and his fans: The 80's are gone, ground and pound was a novel approach when it wasn't 65 degrees at the end of December up north.

My heart just begged for more cholesterol. 

Archived