Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

You're gambling whether you hire Darrell Bevell or Bill Parcells. This is why you don't go into the process with the intent of swapping coaches. It's a two-stage scenario: Stage One--determine you no longer wish to move forward with Rex as your head coach and fire him. Stage Two--Find new coach. For anyone out there to say "Coach X sucks prolly" is stupid, because you have no clue if it's true. You're guessing.

You don't determine stage one without at least having an opinion on stage two, so this is dumb. 

Keep Ryan and Mornhinweg and upgrade the actual football playing part of the roster. 

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.  

I have watched the Jets change time and time again.  Everyone always swears the grass is greener.  Each change brings more excuses.  

We live in a now society and everyone certainly wants the Jets to win it all now.  But here is the deal, Rex is a pretty good coach.  He has zero offensive talent.  That is on the GM.  Keep the OC.  Keep the head coach.  Don't change anything except the names of the wide receivers on the roster and maybe the QBs.

And also a quick RB in the Leon/LaDainian mode.   Geno didn't have one to pitch out or throw to.

You're gambling whether you hire Darrell Bevell or Bill Parcells. This is why you don't go into the process with the intent of swapping coaches. It's a two-stage scenario: Stage One--determine you no longer wish to move forward with Rex as your head coach and fire him. Stage Two--Find new coach. For anyone out there to say "Coach X sucks prolly" is stupid, because you have no clue if it's true. You're guessing.

What? First off, don't even use Parcells in the same sentence as Bevell, one coach has actually done something in this league, while the other one is a offensive coordinator that doesn't even have high success at what he does. Second, what you just said was retarded. The whole point of firing a coach is to get a better one. Simple as that. Also, true, I have no clue about whether or not a coach will suck in the NFL. But I can make an educated guess, like how I can make an educated guess that Bevell is going to suck as a head coach unless he lucks out on a great qb. The reason why I can make this guess is because Bevell hasn't done anything in the NFL. Hell, he's only looked like a good oc when he has good qbs. Tack that on with his no head coaching experience, and your looking at a disaster.

Also, one of the biggest negatives I often hear about Rex is that he's not a complete head coach. And then I hear the same people who say this sh*t, call for us to hire Bevell. Are you ******* kidding me? Bevell has no NFL head coaching experience, has never done anything without a great qb, and you want this guy as the head coach of the Jets? Get the **** out of here.

You don't determine stage one without at least having an opinion on stage two, so this is dumb.

Keep Ryan and Mornhinweg and upgrade the actual football playing part of the roster.

I'm pretty sure every GM in the league has an opinion on a few guys that can step in to replace their current head coach. I know it's impossible to conceive that there are a group of men currently working in football who will eventually be really good head coaches. Yet again, you view the league like you're playing Madden Franchise Mode.

What? First off, don't even use Parcells in the same sentence as Bevell, one coach has actually done something in this league, while the other one is a offensive coordinator that doesn't even have high success at what he does. Second, what you just said was retarded. The whole point of firing a coach is to get a better one. Simple as that. Also, true, I have no clue about whether or not a coach will suck in the NFL. But I can make an educated guess, like how I can make an educated guess that Bevell is going to suck as a head coach unless he lucks out on a great qb. The reason why I can make this guess is because Bevell hasn't done anything in the NFL. Hell, he's only looked like a good oc when he has good qbs. Tack that on with his no head coaching experience, and your looking at a disaster.

Also, one of the biggest negatives I often hear about Rex is that he's not a complete head coach. And then I hear the same people who say this sh*t, call for us to hire Bevell. Are you ******* kidding me? Bevell has no NFL head coaching experience, has never done anything without a great qb, and you want this guy as the head coach of the Jets? Get the **** out of here.

I'll bet you were the guy who knew that bringing back Pete Carroll into the league, or hiring the Eagles' special teams coach, was going to work. You sound really smart, like you'd be able to predict which assistants are guaranteed to be great head coaches and are able to sniff out which ones will suck. I imagine you're that guy who thinks hiring Bill Cowher is the only way to go because, in your mind, an NFL Assistant has never taken a head coaching job and succeeded. You're like a genius. Thank you for your valued insight.

I'll bet you were the guy who knew that bringing back Pete Carroll into the league, or hiring the Eagles' special teams coach, was going to work. You sound really smart, like you'd be able to predict which assistants are guaranteed to be great head coaches and are able to sniff out which ones will suck. I imagine you're that guy who thinks hiring Bill Cowher is the only way to go because, in your mind, an NFL Assistant has never taken a head coaching job and succeeded. You're like a genius. Thank you for your valued insight.

Bevell lost the Bears' HC job to a CFL coach, who has the team performing worse than they were a year ago under the guy he replaced.

Bevell lost the Bears' HC job to a CFL coach, who has the team performing worse than they were a year ago under the guy he replaced.

Yeah, but Bevell lost the Bears job to a CFL coach who has the team performing worse than they were a year ago under Lovie Smith who outperformed Dick Jauron and Dave Wannstedt, but wasn't as good as Mike Ditka so Bevell equals Mike Ditka when you think about it. Derp.

So is a victory lap around the stadium.

It was never about the wins/losses this year, and it never should have been.

Idzik was placed into the GM job to position the NYJ for the future. His job is on the line in doing so. Who do you trust caretake the talent that you will be providing the team in that scenario- Someone you had a shotgun marriage to, or someone you trust who you feel shares your football philosophies? That answer is easy. And it is the one that has been staring Jet fans in the face all season, whether they believe it or not. It was NEVER about Ws and Ls this season.

Rex Ryan is the anti-Idzik. he is bold, in your face and brash. Idzik is calculated, measured and humble. He shies from teh spotlight.

Who do you really believe will win this tug of war? The answer has been there all year.

I want Rex Ryan coaching, and an Ozzie Newsome type GM handing him his players, a perfect relationship let the GM do what he gets paid to do, and let the HC do what he gets paid to do,

That's funny you say this, because Ozzie Newsome had every opportunity to make Rex Ryan his HC, but likely felt the peter principle applied and only wanted him as the DC. 

Edit:  Dammit, ninja'd by EY like years ago.....

I agree, and as usual after a win he starts his nonsense ..." we're 9-2 at home this year".. Can't believe he actually said that, really can't , an NFL head coach talking about pre season wins in December may be grounds for firing due to stupidity anyway...and " I told you milliner was going to be great" another example of why only special guys develop under him....guys like Wilkerson and revis who would be great with any coach.....milliner has one decent...and I mean decent not great game and the child moron coach is putting him in the hall of fame....nothing that happened yesterday made me think the child known as Rex should be back, if anything it was more proof he needs to go.

Yes.  

I have watched the Jets change time and time again.  Everyone always swears the grass is greener.  Each change brings more excuses. 

I fail to see how firing Herm and Mangini were bad decisions.  Rex is certainly CLOSER to what we're looking for out of a HC, because at least he was competent on ONE side of the ball, but he's still not the right guy.  The grass really CAN be greener and I don't see any reason why Idzik should delay any more in bringing in his own guy.

I fail to see how firing Herm and Mangini were bad decisions.  Rex is certainly CLOSER to what we're looking for out of a HC, because at least he was competent on ONE side of the ball, but he's still not the right guy.

Max has loved every coach during that coaches tenure.

Something about press passes or the like.

I fail to see how firing Herm and Mangini were bad decisions.  Rex is certainly CLOSER to what we're looking for out of a HC, because at least he was competent on ONE side of the ball, but he's still not the right guy.  The grass really CAN be greener and I don't see any reason why Idzik should delay any more in bringing in his own guy.

Herm ran his course.  He needed to go no doubt, he was a terrible coach.

Mangini just was so stubborn.  But Tanny and Mangini should have been fired at the same time.  Complete regime change was needed.

I am not saying that some coaches don't have to go.  The Steelers were pretty patient with Bill Cowher and it paid off for them.  Rex can get the team to 8 and 8 when many experts predicted a 4 win season.  They have no offensive talent and they traded away their best defensive player.  They have a rookie QB with a TD \ Int ration that is terrible and no WRs.

Yet some are trying to make this seem like a no-brainer that he needs to go.  I don't see it that way at all....and I am pretty sure Idzik agrees with me.

That's funny you say this, because Ozzie Newsome had every opportunity to make Rex Ryan his HC, but likely felt the peter principle applied and only wanted him as the DC. 

Do you know this?  Or did Ozzie feel that Harbaugh was just a better choice?  There is a chance that Ozzie saw them both as being good choices and went with Harbaugh who he liked better.

It doesn't have to be one choice was good and one was bad.

And also a quick RB in the Leon/LaDainian mode.   Geno didn't have one to pitch out or throw to.

Agreed.  I feel good that Idzik got that player in Goodson.  I feel good that Idzik knew he needed to upgrade from McKnight.  What happened to Goodson was one of those things that falls outside of talent evaluation.  I rather have them miss for off the field stuff and injuries as opposed to picking players that just aren't any good.

Rex is a miracle worker! Mort said so!

So did Peter King on this mornings MMQB.

4. I think the Jets should not fire Rex Ryan. Period. End of story. A 7-8 record with a game to go, with that team? Hardly a fireable situation. Extend Ryan one year (his contract is up at the end of next season) and push this decision off until the end of 2014. Ryan, and Jets fans, deserve that.

4. I think the Jets should not fire Rex Ryan. Period. End of story. A 7-8 record with a game to go, with that team? Hardly a fireable situation. Extend Ryan one year (his contract is up at the end of next season) and push this decision off until the end of 2014. Ryan, and Jets fans, deserve that.

Now, King is a savant. 

Which should have been the red flag about the RYan hire. Why does the GM who knows him best not want to hire him? One point I had never neard before "Collisions": part of the Ravens' issue was Wrecks took a collar for beating the crap out of a neighbor over nonsense. Suspect his footsie nonsense in the age of the internet was probably also well-known.

Now, King is a savant. 

King is a gelatinous pig. 

But he happens to be right here..  just giving you and the other drama queens a dose of reality.  Even the national scribes are taking notice that Rex has done a hell of a job this year.

King is a jock-sniffing moron. Reason #4765 to fire his ass.

Which should have been the red flag about the RYan hire. Why does the GM who knows him best not want to hire him? One point I had never neard before "Collisions": part of the Ravens' issue was Wrecks took a collar for beating the crap out of a neighbor over nonsense. Suspect his footsie nonsense in the age of the internet was probably also well-known.

Would you recommend the book, Bugg?

But he happens to be right here..  just giving you and the other drama queens a dose of reality.  Even the national scribes are taking notice that Rex has done a hell of a job this year.

Or setting themselves up for reasons to jump on the jets when the move is made, as many of you sissies cried about early in the year.

Rex is gone. The decision is done. All that is left is crying by certain few.

Herm ran his course.  He needed to go no doubt, he was a terrible coach.

Mangini just was so stubborn.  But Tanny and Mangini should have been fired at the same time.  Complete regime change was needed.

I am not saying that some coaches don't have to go.  The Steelers were pretty patient with Bill Cowher and it paid off for them.  Rex can get the team to 8 and 8 when many experts predicted a 4 win season.  They have no offensive talent and they traded away their best defensive player.  They have a rookie QB with a TD \ Int ration that is terrible and no WRs.

Yet some are trying to make this seem like a no-brainer that he needs to go.  I don't see it that way at all....and I am pretty sure Idzik agrees with me.

As was stated before by I think Matt, getting from 4-12 to 8-8 is not that impressive (even though few people were saying the Jets were a 4-win team; logic dictated a team that went 6-10 with the worst QB play of all-time probably wasn't going to do much worse than that). 

However, going from 8-8 to 11-5 is a monumental leap, and it's VERY unclear that Rex is the guy who can do that.  We had our chances.  In 2011 we were 8-5 but couldn't finish.  We played awful down the stretch and went 8-8 instead.  This year we were 5-4 and in control of our own destiny for a playoff spot.  We got blown out 3 straight weeks to the tune of -70 or so net points. 

I don't think Rex is the guy who can take us to the next level, and I don't think it's a good decision to entrust him with a 3rd rookie QB.  If he comes back another year, you're going to have to spend big on a veteran QB who doesn't need to hear Rex's "just don't turn the ball over and we're good" line.

Do you know this?  Or did Ozzie feel that Harbaugh was just a better choice?  There is a chance that Ozzie saw them both as being good choices and went with Harbaugh who he liked better.

It doesn't have to be one choice was good and one was bad.

Rex was on the Ravens coaching staff for nearly a decade.  Perhaps Rex was his "2nd choice" behind Harbaugh, but somehow I doubt it.  He had every opportunity to give Rex a HC job, which Rex was VERY open about being his desire, but never gave him the chance.  Obviously, Newsome's judgement was sound. 

HA!

Disagree with the post but describing King as a gelatinous pig is the best.

Archived