Circus: John Mara just told reporters he wants Coughlin back on the sidelines next year

Lizard King

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/30/giants-owner-says-he-wants-tom-coughlin-back/

There are six NFL teams looking for head coaches (at the moment), and none of them are in New York.

While there have been questions about the future of 67-year-old Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, they’re not coming from ownership there.

Giants boss John Mara just told reporters he wants Coughlin back on the sidelines next year.

We still have every confidence in him,” Mara said, via Bob Glauber of Newsday.

Mara also mentioned “I think our offense is broken,” which seemed obvious afterEli Manning had a career-high 27 interceptions. That assessment falls in line with the “disconnect” wide receiver Victor Cruz mentioned recently as well.

That might convince Mara to declare his intentions toward free agent wide receiverHakeem Nicks soon, so the Giants can have an offseason on the same page this coming year.

But giving Coughlin the opportunity to oversee it is the stable and prudent play at a time when other franchises make too many moves, all of them wrong.

who's taking bows, exactly? the players and organization are excited for 2014. some fans are excited because there are reasons to be optimistic. some fans are butthurt that Ryan wasn't let go. fine, but stop with this "Jets are happy with mediocrity" nonsense. obviously there are now big expectations for next season. but this season was supposed to be garbage, and it was actually fun.

who's taking bows, exactly? the players and organization are excited for 2014. some fans are excited because there are reasons to be optimistic. some fans are butthurt that Ryan wasn't let go. fine, but stop with this "Jets are happy with mediocrity" nonsense. obviously there are now big expectations for next season. but this season was supposed to be garbage, and it was actually fun.

I think that's the prob We had 5 win talent and won 8. Next year we might just win 8. I don't see how we can win 10 or 11 like some people think with the question at QB we have still

I think that's the prob We had 5 win talent and won 8. Next year we might just win 8. I don't see how we can win 10 or 11 like some people think with the question at QB we have still

I'm assuming that Smith isn't going to follow Sanchez's career path. I'm also assuming Idzik will spend money and draft picks on the offense including a decent backup QB (McCown?). it's true we don't know this will happen, but I have no reason to think Idzik won't do those things.

Are you really comparing Rex to Tom?

No, I think he's basically saying playing most of those games against QB's who were either 3rd or 4th stringers at the start of the year might have helped.  Their offense sucked all year long and they still had Eli, Nicks, Cruz, Randle and Myers for most of it.  Their offense was horrible all year.  Eli would crumble to the turf in a fetal position when someone got within 5 yards of him and just take sack after sack after sack.  But Cruz says it's because they didn't meet up in the offseason enough.  That's horsesh*t.  Maybe Eli should tone it down on his commercials this offseason?

Rex is 1 game behind him in W/L since the day he became Jets head coach.

2 Lombardis > Anything Wrecks has done. Further on the one occasion they played head to head and it mattered Wrecks' offense failed to show up and the vaunted Wrecks defense let Victor Cruz run wild. But carry on.

2 Lombardis > Anything Wrecks has done. Further on the one occasion they played head to head and it mattered Wrecks' offense failed to show up and the vaunted Wrecks defense let Victor Cruz run wild. But carry on.

Yeah, but he realized his mistake and let Eric Smith's contract expire, so, growth.

Sure. 2 Lombardis > anything almost any coach in the league has done. No doubt about it. But the win/loss is practically the same so all the hate against Rex is silly.

Oh please. Really? Mentioning empty promise Rex "I am going to the Whitehouse " Ryan  in the same sentence with TC, an easy HOF coach is just plain dumb.

Even wet brained friends of Bill would agree Rex is a turd in comparison.

he's a .550 coach with eli

rex is a .518 coach with sanchez and smith

one is HOF, the other turd ?

Archived