ylekram's mock offseason

ylekram

just bored, nothing alse really going on in jets land, and most importantly, just for fun

in this mock, idzik's full offseason with plenty of cap money and draft picks, he goes all out and spends to the hilt

there are plenty of holes to fill on this roster, and idzik didn't get the memo that you cant fill them all in one offseason

re-signs

rt - Austin howard

k - nick folk

dt - leger douzable

olb - calvin pace - on the cheap or let him walk

olb - garrett McIntyre

lb - josh mauga - decided on him instead of bellore. more upside,imo

cb - Darrin walls

cb - Aaron berry

cb - ellis lankster - decided on him over issaih trufant. better size, more upside, special teams guy

te - jeff Cumberland - see how free agency and the draft pan out. he has gotta be cheap or walk

contract extentions

none- wilks has a coupla years to waite. maybe damon Harrison if the price is right

cuts

cb - Antonio cromartie - wrong side of 30, not worth the money, age and injury catching up with his athleticism

wr - santonio holmes - mistake

qb - sanchez

free agents

olb - brian orakpo - jets spend some money here for the best olb in free agency

wr - hakeem nicks - injured lately, change of scenery does him well, even if it is just across the street

og - Richie incognito - will come cheap & can produce. dickhead? yes. locker room cancer? no. not worried about the Miami incident

cb - captain mannerly - young up & comer at cb

ss - t.j. ward - jets spend some big money here for the best safety in free agency

qb - chad henne -  hell, he is better than geno, not much better, but the jets need competition at qb

draft

1st - wr - kelvin Benjamin - jets qb's are innacurate. need some size at wr. cant teach 6'6", 240 lb., with a 10' wingspan

2nd - te - cj fiedorowicz - te's coming off the board fast this draft. another fast, large target, that can catch & block

3rd - qb - zack mettenberger - injury will let this kid slide to the 3rd. jets will be drafting qb's till one sticks

3rd - og - chris watt - incognito holds the fort till this kid is ready to take over

4th - cb - keith McGill - he might be there in the 4th

5th - rb - andre Williams/james wilder jr. - running backs tend to slide. a decent one will be there in the 5th

5th - wr - Brandon coleman - another larger wr that could use some bench time to develop

6th - ot - Cameron fleming - not sold on the lineman that were drafted last year. might find a devepmental gem here

7th - te - colt lyerla - jets take a shot on a troubled but talented player here

7th - rb - silas red - injured but talented. its the 7th round, give me a break

remember, just for fun but this is jetnation so feel free to swing away

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big Benji fan but not at 18

Amaro in the first Benii in the second sounds goid

I like amaro, also, but I think you can get a similar player in the 2nd.i wouldn't flip if amaro was the 18th pick, tho. benji wont be there in the 2nd. he might not even be there in the 1st at 18. he quite possibly could be the 2nd receiver off the board

I like Orakpo but I don't think Washington let's him go.    My best guess is that he gets the franchise tag.  

probably. there are an awful lot of free agents this year that the jets would have interest in that wont make it to the open market

If we somehow added Munnerlyn, Ward and Orapko - we'll be a top 3 defense next season.  That would be a beast of an offseason haul.

The draft is whack at first look...but its to early to really pick it apart.

defense is how the jets win. might as well beef it up. I really don't look at players draft slot predictions, just the players I have seen play and like. I like the players in the top 4 picks of this mock very much

he is a 4.5, 4.6 guy, no? not too bad for a huge guy. at 6'6" with a wingspan like a condor, just throw that ball up for grabs.lol

He's great at fighting for the ball, getting firsts and TDs but he isn't a breakaway guy. He'll probably run around a 4.6 (a bunch of other WRs will have better times) but I don't see his other running times being to good

Don't get me wrong I want him on the Jets but the more I study him (I watched almost all the FSUs games) the more I think he's a great number 2 not a number 1.

He's great at fighting for the ball, getting firsts and TDs but he isn't a breakaway guy. He'll probably run around a 4.6 (a bunch of other WRs will have better times) but I don't see his other running times being to good

Don't get me wrong I want him on the Jets but the more I study him (I watched almost all the FSUs games) the more I think he's a great number 2 not a number 1.

Considering we don't even have a 'good' number 2 on this team, that's not so bad. 

And never underestimate the value of a great number 2. :headbang: 

defense is how the jets win. might as well beef it up. I really don't look at players draft slot predictions, just the players I have seen play and like. I like the players in the top 4 picks of this mock very much

I'm not against it...not at all...just think thats a big haul on one side of the ball and we're desperate for offensive talent.

Benji is a reach at 18, IMO.  Not dynamic enough for that high of a selection.  Plus, he's 24 and will run in the 4.5-4.6 range.  He'll probably be there in the 2nd round.

The TE's this year are underwhelming, IMO.  Not sure what CJ has done to warrant a 2nd round pick other than having decent measurables.  He wasnt a high productive player in college and not sure what he's going to do this offseason for a team to take him that high.  TE is a need but he's a huge reach IMO.

Again, its January.  Hard to predict the draft right now...but those are my initials thoughts.

I agree with everything you said here. this was my thinking also as far as him not being a true #1. all the true #1 receivers will be off the board by the time the jets pick,tho. but 2 really good #2's(nicks & Benjamin), a good #3(kerley), and a good #4(david nelson) is not too shabby after looking at last years group. I actually would start the season with nicks & nelson as the #1 & 2 and Benjamin being the #4 working thru the season towards the #1 or 2

I agree with everything you said here. this was my thinking also as far as him not being a true #1. all the true #1 receivers will be off the board by the time the jets pick,tho. but 2 really good #2's(nicks & Benjamin), a good #3(kerley), and a good #4(david nelson) is not too shabby after looking at last years group. I actually would start the season with nicks & nelson as the #1 & 2 and Benjamin being the #4 working thru the season towards the #1 or 2

Mike Evans is the only one I'd want them to take in the draft in the 1st at this point.

Benji is a reach at 18, IMO.  Not dynamic enough for that high of a selection.  Plus, he's 24 and will run in the 4.5-4.6 range.  He'll probably be there in the 2nd round.

The TE's this year are underwhelming, IMO.  Not sure what CJ has done to warrant a 2nd round pick other than having decent measurables.  He wasnt a high productive player in college and not sure what he's going to do this offseason for a team to take him that high.  TE is a need but he's a huge reach IMO.

Again, its January.  Hard to predict the draft right now...but those are my initials thoughts.

I 100% agree. While I concede that Ebron certainly has the physical ability to turn into a big-time playmaker, his play as of now reminds me of a rich-man's Dustin Keller. He and Amaro as they currently stand, are poor blockers and will have a tough time seeing the field early until they can shore that up. ASJ remains my favorite TE prospect in this draft and seems to me the most likely one to see the field from the get-go. He reminds me a lot of Witten, but even he I don't like as a top 20 pick.  

Amaro is coming from a system that is known to inflate numbers, but has produced a handful of very solid receivers in Crabtree, Edelman and Welker. However, I'm not sure if those numbers will translate for a TE as he doesn't seem dynamic enough to warrant all the Jimmy Graham infused hype that he's been getting.  To me, even though he's not a TE, the player that has the most Jimmy Graham in his game is Mike Evans. Evans and Graham have the ability to body up dbacks, compliment their QBs on broken plays and comeback routes and have enough speed to beat you on the deep ball.  Assuming Watkins is gone, I'm pretty sure my order for #18 goes Lee, Beckham, Evans in that order.

If Sanchez isn't cut my March 8 (is that right?) He costs the team $8.3M (is that right?).  I'm not sure a re-structure is possible due to the language of his contract.  I could be wrong, and just parroting bad information, but I coulda swore that's why he's an assumed goner. 

If Sanchez isn't cut my March 8 (is that right?) He costs the team $8.3M (is that right?).  I'm not sure a re-structure is possible due to the language of his contract.  I could be wrong, and just parroting bad information, but I coulda swore that's why he's an assumed goner. 

I don't think he costs $8.3M.  The $8.3M is the cap savings for dumping him this season.  He has $2M roster bonus which kicks in sometime in March I believe.  If they keep him past that I believe the cap savings would only be $6.3M.  Basically it means that they will have to move him before March.  I beleve thant Manning had a similar thing going on and he deferred the payment for a bit, but the league or the NFLPA limited the amount of time that he could defer the payment.

the only way Mark Sanchez returns is if he gives back money, Alex Smith style. It almost never happens. 

I don't think he costs $8.3M.  The $8.3M is the cap savings for dumping him this season.  He has $2M roster bonus which kicks in sometime in March I believe.  If they keep him past that I believe the cap savings would only be $6.3M.  Basically it means that they will have to move him before March.  I beleve thant Manning had a similar thing going on and he deferred the payment for a bit, but the league or the NFLPA limited the amount of time that he could defer the payment.

the only way Mark Sanchez returns is if he gives back money, Alex Smith style. It almost never happens. 

So he could be a cut, test the market, and re-sign?

I'm not against it...not at all...just think thats a big haul on one side of the ball and we're desperate for offensive talent.

wfiw, I added only 4 defensive players thru the draft/free agency & 14 players on the offensive side

Benjamin does lack some dynamics for sure, but if he were more dynamic being his size, he would be a top 5 lock at wr in the draft

he also relies on his size, not his speed or dynamic ability, therefore his skillset will not deteriorate due to coming into later years, so his age shouldn't be a factor. he might be a reach at pick 18, but I think come draft time, he goes in the top 20. jmo.

as far as the te, I agree. somewhat of a reach. but I don't think he last to the 3rd round(which is where I would like to grab him). like you said, the te class is a little underwhelming this year, ebron and amaro are gone in the 1st, and his skillset is what I think the jets need. the jets don't need a game breaker at te that cant block or a te that can block well but cant catch passes worth a damn. I like the jack of all trades when it comes to te's.

So he could be a cut, test the market, and re-sign?

No. Cutting him makes the dead money hit. There's not really a point in having dead money for Mark AND have him on the roster. I guess they did it with Pace. But Mark's dead money is alot more.

He'd have to give back money and restructure. 

No. Cutting him makes the dead money hit. There's not really a point in having dead money for Mark AND have him on the roster. I guess they did it with Pace. But Mark's dead money is alot more.

He'd have to give back money and restructure.

No, they'll cut him. There won't even be talk about "restructuring" or "giving back money," they'll just release him and eat cap cost.

Then, Sanchez will field offers. I suspect he'll be offered more elsewhere than what the Jets are willing to pay, and that'll be that. The Jets won't look at him again until he goes thru that process.

Richie "I am a insane bastard" Incognito?  yea that will work out.

maybe some of that insanity will rub on the other underperforming sane oline players. I have always liked incognito. nasty player. a bit of a dickhead,tho. I don't buy a word of that stuff that happened down in Miami. opportunity at its worst. just a cheap, effective, stop gap player till one of the younger players develope

maybe some of that insanity will rub on the other underperforming sane oline players. I have always liked incognito. nasty player. a bit of a dickhead,tho. I don't buy a word of that stuff that happened down in Miami. opportunity at its worst. just a cheap, effective, stop gap player till one of the younger players develope

We've already more than enough headcases/basketcases/nutjobs/cancers on this team - we don't need anymore, particularly on this young of a team.

Archived