Eric Decker

joewilly12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be hard to get any top reciever when the coach and gm aren't sure of the QB ! Alot of teams have a bunch of money I think there's 16 teams that have a bunch

I'm going to have to start copying and pasting my responses to that, because it's getting annoying to type them out every time.

-There are lots of receivers to go around: Maclin, Decker, Jones, Jones, Boldin, Sanders, Nicks, Britt, Manningham, Tate, Edelman, Meachem, Cooper, etc.

-This is a good draft class for receivers, so some teams will find their receivers that way. That's especially true of the teams that need only 1. We need more than 1.

-We may in fact have the most cash out of all those teams. If not, darn close to it.

-Besides QB, there are plenty of other considerations that these players take into account: money, location, proximity to family/friends, training facilities, coaching staff, style of play, etc.

I also think the Jets go hard for Tate not Decker. The Seattle connection, plus I think he's going to be cheaper then Decker.

Neither one of them made themselves any money last night. Decker by doing nothing and Tate by doing little and being outplayed by a few WRs on his own team.  Rodgers Cromartie and Bailey did not look good. 

Signing up a guy who is a good #2 at best in free agency for #1 money is how organizations end up wondering at the end of the season why they did not improve.

So its comes down to the kindda money he signs for. Don't expect him to leave Denver and sign for the JETS unless they dangle a HUGE contract. And i would hope the JETS don't do that. The best way to add some talent at our receiving corps is via the draft. Atleast the top 2 of 3 picks have to be in the passing game.

Signing up a guy who is a good #2 at best in free agency for #1 money is how organizations end up wondering at the end of the season why they did not improve.

So its comes down to the kindda money he signs for. Don't expect him to leave Denver and sign for the JETS unless they dangle a HUGE contract. And i would hope the JETS don't do that. The best way to add some talent at our receiving corps is via the draft. Atleast the top 2 of 3 picks have to be in the passing game.

Word. Expecting Decker to come here and be the #1 would be a disaster.

He's not particularly physical or athletic and he has spotty hands. Add to that he's never been covered by an opposing team's #1 corner. Why are we even talking about him again?

Um, he's very athletic, is extremely physical, and has great hands.   He's pretty much the opposite of everything you said.  He had a foot injury in college which affected his pro day 40 times, but he was still clocked at 4:54.  Not bad for 6'3, 217...coming off a foot injury. 

from NFL.com

OVERVIEW

Decker is a big receiver with small receiver skills. He is quicker than he is fast and while he has enough speed he is not the type that will take many all the way to the house at the next level. He runs crisp routes and will show a good short burst to separate from defenders but will struggle to maintain that separation. He is a natural receiver that has soft, sure hands and a wide receiving radius that allows him to extend to catch slightly off target throws. He missed the final four games of the regular season due to a foot injury but returned in time to play in the bowl game against Iowa State.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS  Decker possesses great size. Was extremely productive in college. Exhibits good quickness & agility which he uses to overcome lack of elite burst. Gets off the ball quickly and is a savvy route runner. Has excellent natural receiving skills. Goes and gets the football, displays great body control in the air and around the sidelines, and isn’t afraid to go over the middle. WEAKNESSES

Lacks elite top end speed which could severely limit his big-play potential at the next level. Lacks a second gear to pull away from defenders after the catch or in and out of his breaks against a corner capable of mirroring him.

Rated #7 out of 276 WRs the year he came out. 

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=76077&draftyear=2010&genpos=wr

I tried to copy and paste their little blurb on him, but a window pops up and says it is copyrighted.  That's new to me.  So I'll transfer it the old fashioned way (and give due credits). 

per The Sports Xchange:

"A closer look at the Broncos' picks, round 3/78--Eric Decker, WR, 6-3, 217, Minnesotta, Decker is big, smart, can make plays and has fantastic hands, once he recovers from a foot injury he can be a good player for the Broncos". -The Sports Xchange. 

Um, he's very athletic, is extremely physical, and has great hands. He's pretty much the opposite of everything you said. He had a foot injury in college which affected his pro day 40 times, but he was still clocked at 4:54. Not bad for 6'3, 217...coming off a foot injury.

from NFL.com

OVERVIEW

Decker is a big receiver with small receiver skills. He is quicker than he is fast and while he has enough speed he is not the type that will take many all the way to the house at the next level. He runs crisp routes and will show a good short burst to separate from defenders but will struggle to maintain that separation. He is a natural receiver that has soft, sure hands and a wide receiving radius that allows him to extend to catch slightly off target throws. He missed the final four games of the regular season due to a foot injury but returned in time to play in the bowl game against Iowa State. ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Decker possesses great size. Was extremely productive in college. Exhibits good quickness & agility which he uses to overcome lack of elite burst. Gets off the ball quickly and is a savvy route runner. Has excellent natural receiving skills. Goes and gets the football, displays great body control in the air and around the sidelines, and isn’t afraid to go over the middle. WEAKNESSES

Lacks elite top end speed which could severely limit his big-play potential at the next level. Lacks a second gear to pull away from defenders after the catch or in and out of his breaks against a corner capable of mirroring him.

This verifies what I said except for the hands thing, but he's had numerous drops, but if you make me go research that number I'll become bitter about it.

This verifies what I said except for the hands thing, but he's had numerous drops, but if you make me go research that number I'll become bitter about it.

Well, don't do that.  Just say something like, "lets agree to disagree"... and look at this picture of a kitten. 

cute_kitten_with_bow_tie.jpg

I like Baldwin and a Jarvis Landry-type second round pick.

We need more splash.  It's been an entire season without any, and Woody is going to want to sell something to the fans.  

James Jones and Jarvis Landry.  Now there's a show. 

We need more splash.  It's been an entire season without any, and Woody is going to want to sell something to the fans.  

James Jones and Jarvis Landry.  Now there's a show. 

This is what I'm afraid of.     

It's one thing to have a great player who might be over the top.  It's another to sign some avg player or past their prime player with a name.   

The Jets don't need another Tebow like situation at any position.   They need young talented players who can make plays.   I really don't see any of the guys on this list as those types.  Decker is a nice option if cheap and he's part of a new tandem with some rookie TE & rookie WR.    Decker is a disaster if you go into a season with what they have and Decker is the only legit WR.

a good #2--when is last time we even had that? braylon (for a year) or coles?

Isn't Baldwin restricted? 

He is, it's idiotic to even be discussing acquiring him.

No way in ******* hell do I pay him like a SB winning veteran WR, and give a draft pick for him. Especially when he's a good #3 WR at best. Which is the only WR position we HAVE already in Kerley.

Paying all that to get Baldwin to be our #1 or #2 and he'll never produce the way we want or need him to. 

James Jones and a 2 WR in the draft in the first 3 rounds. 

Add them to Hill and Kerley, and BOOM... WR corps addressed. 

This is my preference as well.  Jones and a WR in the draft.  With Nelson and Kerley already on the roster, with a far far outside chance Hill isnt completely worthless, that is more than adequate of an a WR core.

He's not particularly physical or athletic and he has spotty hands. Add to that he's never been covered by an opposing team's #1 corner. Why are we even talking about him again?

Because a solid # 2 is still an improvement for the Jets.  That said, this is exactly the kind of move that Idzik won't make (and Idzik is right).

Because a solid # 2 is still an improvement for the Jets.  That said, this is exactly the kind of move that Idzik won't make (and Idzik is right).

I've seen lots of people explain what Idzik's philosophy is or isn't. Haven't seen any proof. What are we judging him by? You can't judge him by last offseason, as he didn't have any cap room. And in Seattle, he didn't have full control.

I've seen lots of people explain what Idzik's philosophy is or isn't. Haven't seen any proof. What are we judging him by? You can't judge him by last offseason, as he didn't have any cap room. And in Seattle, he didn't have full control.

Miami had a lot of money last year.  They didn't have a lot of success this year.  Does this mean Idzik won't go out and get a guy or two that you have to pay for?  No, that is certainly a possibility.  But I think most people feel he will be the anti-Tanny and aim to bring in 7 really solid guys instead of 2 great ones.

and last year he came 3 weeks before draft and was using Tannys scouts and tannys scouts data based on tannys philosophy.

Now we have a year with his scouts (he fired all but 2 of Tanny personell/scouts folks day after draft, and now he has HIS scouts doing research based on HIS philosophy/criteria he wants in a player)

this years selection will be all Idzik data/his scouts/philosophy etc

Archived