Sheldon Richardson speaks about former roommate Michael Sam’s decision

Lizard King

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 12, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
sheldon-richardson.jpg?w=250Getty Images

New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson knew of Michael Sam’s sexual orientation long before he announced publicly Sunday night that he was gay.

Richardson was roommates with Sam at the University of Missouri. Even before the rest of their Missouri teammates knew of Sam’s sexual preference, Richardson knew.

Richardson spoke about Sam’s public announcement Tuesday night with Jeane Coakley of SNY.

I lived with Michael Sam, regular guy, has his own sexuality. With me living with him, it was a little unusual at first, but it’s stuff you look past,” Richardson said, via Bob Glauber of Newsday. “It wasn’t anything unusual. He was my guy, my home boy.”

While Richardson moved on to the NFL and earned Defensive Rookie of the Year honors with the Jets, Sam remained at Missouri and came out to his teammates before embarking on a stellar season of his own. Sam recorded 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss on his way to co-Defensive Player of the Year honors in the Southeastern Conference.

Richardson said he was happy that Sam came out to his teammates and that he was able to have his best season after making that decision. He added that Sam is a terrific teammate and everything you could want in a football player.

“He was a great teammate, a great person,” Richardson said. “If guys [in the NFL] can’t get past that, then, I mean, it’s just crazy. You wanted a football player, you got the football player. I promise you his sexuality has nothing to do with him playing on the football field. He is a completely different person [on the field]. He puts this face on, no smiles, serious business. He’s a killer.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/12/sheldon-richardson-speaks-about-former-roommate-michael-sams-decision/

Richardson doesn't know what he's talking about. Let's say I'm in the locker room, and I'm trying to arm wrestle my teammate's dick with my butt in a totally non-gay way, and Michael Sam sees us doing it? How is the locker room supposed to respond to that?

This was posted already in the other thread. 

Hmmmmmm, pretty sure I would remember this if it was.

Richardson doesn't know what he's talking about. Let's say I'm in the locker room, and I'm trying to arm wrestle my teammate's dick with my butt in a totally non-gay way, and Michael Sam sees us doing it? How is the locker room supposed to respond to that?

This ain't yo daddy and yo granddaddy's football no mo: back when you could freely rest your meat-stick on someone's face with the peace of mind knowing that the other guy won't want to put it in his mouth. Michael Sam has taken that piece of mind from the players. Now they have to think twice about put their tube-steak on their noseguard's thigh, when before it was just natural. 

What happens if Michael Sam sees that and as a result he gets all sex nuts and retard strong and starts grabbing dudes? What then? 

This ain't yo daddy and yo granddaddy's football no mo: back when you could freely rest your meat-stick on someone's face with the peace of mind knowing that the other guy won't want to put it in his mouth. Michael Sam has taken that piece of mind from the players. Now they have to think twice about put their tube-steak on their noseguard's thigh, when before it was just natural. 

No more tummy sticks in a totally non-gay way, no more riding the thunder in a totally non-gay way, no more friendship lemonade in a totally non-gay way, no more naked steamrolling in a totally non-gay way...

NYT – But to get a sense of the challenges awaiting Sam, look no further than his father. Last Tuesday, Michael Sam Sr. was at a Denny’s near his home outside Dallas to celebrate his birthday when his son sent him a text message. Dad, I’m gay, he wrote. The party stopped cold. “I couldn’t eat no more, so I went to Applebee’s to have drinks,” Sam Sr. said. “I don’t want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment. “I’m old school,” he added. “I’m a man-and-a-woman type of guy.” As evidence, he pointed out that he had taken an older son to Mexico to lose his virginity. On Sunday night, just after Michael Sam announced his intention to make sports history, his father was still struggling with the news. Sam Sr. loves his son, and he said he hoped his son made it to the N.F.L. “As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross,” he said. “This is just one he has to cross.” But he expressed discomfort at the very idea of a gay N.F.L. player, even if the player was his son. He grumbled that Deacon Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive end renowned for his toughness, “is turning over in his grave.” Michael Sam had anticipated his family’s uneasiness. In an interview Sunday in North Hollywood, Calif., he spoke about his tough upbringing, which he said was more challenging than the decision to come out publicly. “I’m closer to my friends than I am to my family,” Sam said.

NYT – But to get a sense of the challenges awaiting Sam, look no further than his father. Last Tuesday, Michael Sam Sr. was at a Denny’s near his home outside Dallas to celebrate his birthday when his son sent him a text message. Dad, I’m gay, he wrote. The party stopped cold. “I couldn’t eat no more, so I went to Applebee’s to have drinks,” Sam Sr. said. “I don’t want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment. “I’m old school,” he added. “I’m a man-and-a-woman type of guy.” As evidence, he pointed out that he had taken an older son to Mexico to lose his virginity. On Sunday night, just after Michael Sam announced his intention to make sports history, his father was still struggling with the news. Sam Sr. loves his son, and he said he hoped his son made it to the N.F.L. “As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross,” he said. “This is just one he has to cross.” But he expressed discomfort at the very idea of a gay N.F.L. player, even if the player was his son. He grumbled that Deacon Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive end renowned for his toughness, “is turning over in his grave.” Michael Sam had anticipated his family’s uneasiness. In an interview Sunday in North Hollywood, Calif., he spoke about his tough upbringing, which he said was more challenging than the decision to come out publicly. “I’m closer to my friends than I am to my family,” Sam said.

Applebees: Your local neighborhood restaurant where you go to drink the gay away.

lmfao oh man, so glad you started posting again... 

Or go to pick up the chicks:

hall_pass_movie_stills_7.jpeg

Gay friends pick up the chicks for you and if it doesn't work out you still got a chance to negotiate BJ. Straight friends just get drunk and cock block, I wish I had all gay friends. I wouldn't be allowed out looking like the hobo inspiration for Duck Dynasty and I'd be getting laid everynight.

No more tummy sticks in a totally non-gay way, no more riding the thunder in a totally non-gay way, no more friendship lemonade in a totally non-gay way, no more naked steamrolling in a totally non-gay way...

If I could actually look down and still see my penis I think it would be looking back at this point. 

This is pretty ******* sad. 

Yeah, in many ways homosexuality is a much bigger issue in the black community.  It sucks that Michael doesn't even have the support of his family.

It's because they're a lot more conservative than people think

I've been talking to Max about maybe starting a JN sociology forum. This could be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, in many ways homosexuality is a much bigger issue in the black community. It sucks that Michael doesn't even have the support of his family.

In fairness, if he's telling his dad via text, on his dad's birthday, I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

Just another reason to like Sheldon Richardson.  He is so right, you want a football player?  Then grade him on the field, nothing else matters!

Yep.  I'm starting to think we should pair Sam with Sheldon.  Demario might go nuts but it'd be sweet to have two Missouri guys wreaking havoc.  Plus we'd know Sheldon would always be there to support the kid.

I've been talking to Max about maybe starting a JN sociology forum. This could be a step in the right direction.

I don't see why we couldn't do it on this forum with respectable discourse. EY is a shrink right? Have him mod it. This is a relatively respectful group, I think we could pull it off. 

Archived