Jets Don't Figure to Pass on New QB

flgreen

NY Jets don’t figure to pass on quarterback

A few names that Gang Green may be pursuing once the market opens: Josh McCown, Michael Vick, Tarvaris Jackson. Comments (1) BY SETH WALDER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

TUESDAY, MARCH 4, 2014, 9:49 PM

Print
SHARE THIS URL:
454318621.jpg JEFF ZELEVANSKY/GETTY IMAGES  

Gang Green could use a more secure backup option than Matt Simms (r.), especially if Geno Smith falters like he did in the middle of last season.

inform.jpg

Even the extraordinarily opaque John Idzik once called the Jets a “quarterback-obsessed team.”

That still will hold true a year after Idzik drafted Geno Smith in the second round, and there is no doubt the Jets will try to improve the quarterback position as a whole this offseason, even if Smith is to remain the starter. Smith is no lock to start Week 1, but it’s still the most likely scenario after he finished strong over the final four games of 2013.

The Jets gambled with Matt Simms as a backup throughout last season, but adding a veteran would be a more secure option behind Smith should the second-year signal-caller falter like he did in the middle of last season.

One could argue that the Jets already have someone on their roster who would fit that description: Mark Sanchez. Sanchez, the former starter, is expected to be cut at some point before his $2 million roster bonus is due later this month, and it’s likely that his run with the Jets will end there. In theory, Sanchez could remain with Gang Green on a cheaper contract, but the Jets would probably like someone new to fill the veteran QB position.

In fact, it wouldn’t be a shock if the Jets added two new quarterbacks — one stable presence to back up Smith and perhaps a later-round draft pick to develop as well.

For now, though, the focus is on free agency, and there are a few names that Gang Green may be pursuing once the market opens on Tuesday:

Josh McCown, Bears

McCown proved last season that he can be more than an apt fill-in should his number be called. That’s exactly what the Jets need as they hope to build on a better-than-expected 8-8 season. The News reported in February that the Jets are eyeing the 34-year-old quarterback, but it remains to be seen if he can be lured away from Chicago.

Michael Vick, Eagles

He already has a relationship with Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg as the two worked together in Philadelphia, so it could be an easy transition for the veteran to make the move to Florham Park. Smith was good when he used his legs last season, but he could probably run a little more. Perhaps he could learn a thing or two in that area from Vick.

Tarvaris Jackson, Seahawks

Jackson has already been both the starter and backup for one organization that Idzik has been a part of: the Seahawks. Now that Jackson is a free agent, the general manager could try to pry him away, offering a chance to get more snaps than he’ll have in Seattle. Jackson is probably not as good of a fit as Vick or McCown, but in an ugly market, the Jets could do worse than Jackson

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-don-figure-pass-quarterback-article-1.1710952#ixzz2v5Wb2dmm

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vick and Jackson are worthless...McCown could be serviceable for a couple more years but is that what we are looking for?  Stick with Geno and see what QB's are available come draft time.

Good point. There are at least 10 QB's in this draft that would beat out Geno.

What if Manziel is there at 18?   There are several scenarios in which that could happen 

If the Jets sign a guy like McCown before the draft it will be very tough to pick a 1st or 2nd rd QB.   

The FA QB market is terrible.   Sanchez and VIck are the 2 best available and both are done.   

The best name out there is Blaine Gabbert who should be available after the draft.    

What if Manziel is there at 18?   There are several scenarios in which that could happen 

back in January, a reporter asked a bunch of GMs and personnel guys who is the best QB in the draft. they all had different lists but if you averaged them all out, Manziel was the only one that didn't make it out of the top 5 picks on every list. I don't think he's getting to 10 let alone 18. That's crazy talk. 

vicks washed up. mccown only did good surrounded by marshall, jeffereies, bennett, and forte. he has been horrible eveywhere else. jackson is hot garbage as well. none of these guys makes me feel any better then geno. draft a qb later rounds or go with geno and simms again. if neither is the answer go all in next year for one of the big name college qbs (winston, marriota, hundley, etc)

just isnt happening,, we will go vet FA QB and a 6/7 round or UDFA QB they think should have been drafted, aka a Bryn Renner from UNC type

No 1st three round QBs will be drafted 'in my opinion',,but I've been wrong :)

I'm kinda looking at the whole situation like this and maybe I'm wrong, idk. There are 7 teams (Hou, Jax, Cle, TB, STL, Minn, Tenn, NYJ) that are all looking for a QB in some capacity. There are not many viable starting QB options available. All three guys on this list are far from guys you want to hand your franchises keys to. They have just as many knocks as Sanchez does. McCown did good with lots of weapons, so did Sanchez. Vick can't stay healthy, etc, etc. Given the increase in cap, its possible that by the end of the first few days of free agency, the Sanchez contract doesn't look so bad and both sides dont have that far to move to renegotiate and have Mark stay in NY. Or, the other scenerio is that after free agency when Minn, Oak or TB still dont have a QB, it could create a trade market for Sanchez. I dont think the Jets will be players in the free agency QB situation because I think the money given to these subpar guys is going to be crazy high. JMHO.

dont understand all the talk about how we shouldn't go after vick because "geno is better"--if that is true and geno wins a competition, vick would instantly be the top backup in the league. what's wrong with that? win/win whether vick gets the job or not--although i will spare you the suspense, he will destroy geno in any competition.

dont understand all the talk about how we shouldn't go after vick because "geno is better"--if that is true and geno wins a competition, vick would instantly be the top backup in the league. what's wrong with that? win/win whether vick gets the job or not--although i will spare you the suspense, he will destroy geno in any competition.

The very words at the end of your post ("He will destroy Geno"), is really the reason that the so-called Geno "supporters" don't want us to bring Vick in.

You see, for 3 months, they have spent ad-nauseum telling us that Vick is washed up, injured, and has stats that are equal or worse than Genos, YET if he sucks so much as they have been telling us, and then he comes in and "destroys Geno" in competition, then where does this leave Smith?

See, if they keep a worthless Bum like Sanchez and another unrealistic choice like Simms, then the Geno lovers will have no competition for their savior, and will be able to scream from the highest mountain that GENO is our man.

Manziel

Bortles

Bridgewater

Carr

McCarron

Mettenberger

Murray

Garrapolo

Savage

Smith

Boyd

Matthews

I had to throw in my boy Jef Matthews at the end, right? Go Big Red.

Odds are that more than half end up with less yards in their career than Geno had last year.  You get a lot of mileage out of this one topic.  Yet you never get anywhere. 

If the Jets sign a guy like McCown before the draft it will be very tough to pick a 1st or 2nd rd QB.

I don't think signing a guy like McCown would change their approach to the draft at all. He'll be 35 this summer, a potential stop-gap, and probably backup. Not much more. I don't think the Jets are likely to take a QB in the first two rounds either way, though. It's the third round, where they (should) have two picks that I could see them pull the trigger.

They probably would like to replace Geno with someone who turns the ball over less. Vick isn't that guy. He's a mediocre passer, and a habitual fumbler. My opinion is that his suspect talent level doesn't overcome his considerable baggage.

I also suspect that barring some major trade for a QB whose name hasn't come up here yet, the Jets will favor Geno in any competition. I think they'll do a lot to improve the weapons around him, and give him every chance to succeed this year. If he doesn't, then the weapons will be in place for the QB they target in 2015.

Manziel

Bortles

Bridgewater

Carr

McCarron

Mettenberger

Murray

Garrapolo

Savage

Smith

Boyd

Matthews

I had to throw in my boy Jef Matthews at the end, right? Go Big Red.

Documented for future use.

I'm kinda looking at the whole situation like this and maybe I'm wrong, idk. There are 7 teams (Hou, Jax, Cle, TB, STL, Minn, Tenn, NYJ) that are all looking for a QB in some capacity. There are not many viable starting QB options available. All three guys on this list are far from guys you want to hand your franchises keys to. They have just as many knocks as Sanchez does. McCown did good with lots of weapons, so did Sanchez. Vick can't stay healthy, etc, etc. Given the increase in cap, its possible that by the end of the first few days of free agency, the Sanchez contract doesn't look so bad and both sides dont have that far to move to renegotiate and have Mark stay in NY.

I agree with you that the free agent QB market this year is so scarce that Mark Sanchez will actually be one of the top names on it once he's released, and he will almost certainly be released. They'll use their cap room this year to wipe him completely off the books.

Sanchez needs a change of scenery, and the Jets need him to be gone. So he'll be gone.

Or, the other scenerio is that after free agency when Minn, Oak or TB still dont have a QB, it could create a trade market for Sanchez. I dont think the Jets will be players in the free agency QB situation because I think the money given to these subpar guys is going to be crazy high. JMHO.

Sanchez has a $2M bonus due two weeks into free agency. They need to do something with him before then. I think the only way they'll be able to trade him is if he accepts a massive cut in pay for 2014. If a team can secure him for less money than they think he might cost in a potential bidding war (I know how that sounds), they might pony up a pick. But it has to be done before that bonus is paid.

Such a move would work for Sanchez if it keeps the remainder of his contract intact. If he performs well this year, he'll be in position to make a lot more money going forward with that deal in place.

Archived