Cromartie Cut

JoeC36

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I watch replays of the infamous GIANTS game where Manning throws a 3 yard hitch at the 10 yard line, to Cruz, and this guy phantom tackles him, and is supposed to be the Jets fastest guy, and Cruz dusts him, TD, JETS LOSE.

Adios, don't let the door hit you, and don't trip over Sanchez, Goodson, and Holmes.

You talking about the 99 yard TD play? 

Cromartie wasnt even covering Cruz. Cro left his man in an attempt to impact the play. Cruz made an awesome move getting separation from his man, juking back inside and then burning Smith down the sideline. That wasnt Cromarties fault. Cruz would have scored quicker if Cro didnt have the presence to break off his man and help the nickel CB. Smith on top of that took a bad angle and another guy (#30) let up at the end when he could have caught cruz before getting in the endzone. 

Cruz juke move actually reminds me of the Santonio Holmes juke back when we played Cleveland. 

Look for yourself. 

Santonio Holmes Juke

Cromartie wasnt even covering Cruz. Cro left his man in an attempt to impact the play. Cruz made an awesome move getting separation from his man, juking back inside and then burning Smith down the sideline. That wasnt Cromarties fault. Cruz would have scored quicker if Cro didnt have the presence to break off his man and help the nickel CB. Smith on top of that took a bad angle and another guy (#30) let up at the end when he could have caught cruz before getting in the endzone. 

Cruz juke move actually reminds me of the Santonio Holmes juke back when we played Cleveland. 

Look for yourself. 

Santonio Holmes Juke

Uh, just watched. I stand by what I said. PHANTOM FREAKING TACKLE. Adios Cro.

Look for yourself. 

Santonio Holmes Juke

Please you had to show that to me again- Jets win that game and Giants do not win the Super Bowl

His skills diminished last year so much it was hard to figure out what happened. But this was a no brainer- I think we get younger in the CB positiion

Wonder why Rex didn't play his boy Kyle Wilson and sit Cro for a few weeks when it was clear he wasn't 100%

His skills diminished last year so much it was hard to figure out what happened. But this was a no brainer- I think we get younger in the CB positiion

yup faba. u r right,,,, Idzik smartly offered him a 'depth CB' salary restructure.. I assume Cr (and all his kids) will 100% go for top $ regardless of teams playoff potential or location..

I think Browns/Pettine will pay more than anyone for him..

yup faba. u r right,,,, Idzik smartly offered him a 'depth CB' salary restructure.. I assume Cr (and all his kids) will 100% go for top $ regardless of teams playoff potential or location..

I think Browns/Pettine will pay more than anyone for him..

You think? Cleveland's defense is pretty stout. 

I think more than anything it was his injured hip. The year before he was great , really did fall off a cliff last year.

He's still one of the most athletic guys whenever he steps on the field, I imagine his hip injury was worse than advertised and sapped some of his ability to get in and out of his back pedal, turn his hips etc.  I can't remember which game it was, but he ran down one of the faster RBs or WRs to save a touchdown.  Usually when CBs falloff the cliff, they lost a step speed-wise, I didn't see that with Cro. I'd bet dollars to pennies if his hip is healthy, he'll have a much, much better season. 

We got three good years from Cro.  Better to err on the side of being conservative and not bank on him having a bounce-back season.  It appears they tried to bring him back on the cheap and could not strike a deal, so be it.  

He's still one of the most athletic guys whenever he steps on the field, I imagine his hip injury was worse than advertised and sapped some of his ability to get in and out of his back pedal, turn his hips etc. I can't remember which game it was, but he ran down one of the faster RBs or WRs to save a touchdown. Usually when CBs falloff the cliff, they lost a step speed-wise, I didn't see that with Cro. I'd bet dollars to pennies if his hip is healthy, he'll have a much, much better season.

IMO, older players don't lose speed as much as they do acceleration. You read about these old guys that can still run tight 40's, but they don't explode out of the blocks and change direction well. I remember Darrell Green talking about that.

He's still one of the most athletic guys whenever he steps on the field, I imagine his hip injury was worse than advertised and sapped some of his ability to get in and out of his back pedal, turn his hips etc. I can't remember which game it was, but he ran down one of the faster RBs or WRs to save a touchdown. Usually when CBs falloff the cliff, they lost a step speed-wise, I didn't see that with Cro. I'd bet dollars to pennies if his hip is healthy, he'll have a much, much better season.

I agree with you but because of his age, his health and more than anything the amount of money he was due to make, this was without a doubt the right move to make.

Uh, just watched. I stand by what I said. PHANTOM FREAKING TACKLE. Adios Cro.

Not Cro's fault.  He correctly left his own man when he saw the ball wasn't being thrown there and swarmed to the receiver, Cruz.  Slightly off balance, Cro  positioned himself to the spot the ball carrier would have to go if he turned it upfield.  Instead of turning it upfield and running into Cro, Cruz did a quick jump to the inside which got him past Cro, (Cruz almost fell down from this) and when he recovered he took it upfield.  Cro got no help at all from the man originally covering Cruz.

Not Cro's fault.  He correctly left his own man when he saw the ball wasn't being thrown there and swarmed to the receiver, Cruz.  Slightly off balance, Cro  positioned himself to the spot the ball carrier would have to go if he turned it upfield.  Instead of turning it upfield and running into Cro, Cruz did a quick jump to the inside which got him past Cro, (Cruz almost fell down from this) and when he recovered he took it upfield.  Cro got no help at all from the man originally covering Cruz.

By the way, Great freaking speed by #33, was that Eric Smith. Dude must run the forty in 3 days.

You know everything you said was correct. Joe Willy could certainly provide a couple plays to support his position, but that Cruz play certainly isn't one of them.

By the way, Great freaking speed by #33, was that Eric Smith. Dude must run the forty in 3 days.

Smith not only took a bad angle but he was torched on the play as well. #30 gave up on the play 10yards before Cruz scored. If you would have provided the Steelers game three years ago I would have agreed, but Cruz embarrassed the entire team on that play and the only one that made a decent move to stop him was cromartie. The miss tackle was to Cruz credit than it was a phantom tackle. 

Yeah, a couple hundred.

More like 6 or 7. 7 brutal plays in 4 years isn't bad at all. When cro replaced revis that year he got injured was special. No anti cromartie fan ever discusses that one. He owned pretty much every wideout he faced and was a probowler, which wasn't a fluke nomination.

Smith not only took a bad angle but he was torched on the play as well. #30 gave up on the play 10yards before Cruz scored. If you would have provided the Steelers game two years ago I would have agreed, but Cruz embarrassed the entire team on that play and the only one that made a decent move to stop him was cromartie. The miss tackle was to Cruz credit than it was a phantom tackle. 

Still, that only made it 10-7 , and then after the secondary completely whiffed on CRUZ, then SANCHEZ took over and was absolutely brilliant the rest of that game. Just another chapter in the book entitled: 45 YEARS OF MISERY

Archived