Reminder: Idzik's philosophy

Integrity28

Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

If this is how you feel, after less than 24 hours of free agency. Let me remind you of a couple of things:

1. John Idzik is on-record stating that he view free agency as a means of plugging holes, enabling him to take a best player available approach to the draft - rather than forcing him to draft for need
  2. He has shown that when he does use free agency, he is only looking to plug holes for 1-2 seasons. Meaning that the way he is spreading money out in the FA contracts, he is front-loading them so that he can cut guys when they are ready to be replaced by his draft picks after a year or two. Meaning he'll continue to keep the salary cap healthy.
  3. He has shown a clear understanding that teams overpay in the first wave of FA, and despite there being some talented players that align to our needs, the contractual demands they will have do not align with his philosophy for long-term building and success.

If you consider what we know about John Idzik, then you should know to expect him to mostly fill the holes at WR, RT, OG, CB as well as maybe addressing some other key areas of weakness... before the draft. He's just not going to do it during the overpay wave of free agency.

What does this mean? It means we "lose out" on giving gross contracts to mediocre FAs because we "need" them. Perpetual losers waste money right now, and set their teams back. Look what Miami did last year. Even the teams that are going all-in for a championship push, like Denver is doing, are truly setting themselves up for a huge drop-off in 3 years.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is how you feel, after less than 24 hours of free agency. Let me remind you of a couple of things:

1. John Idzik is on-record stating that he view free agency as a means of plugging holes, enabling him to take a best player available approach to the draft - rather than forcing him to draft for need
  2. He has shown that when he does use free agency, he is only looking to plug holes for 1-2 seasons. Meaning that the way he is spreading money out in the FA contracts, he is front-loading them so that he can cut guys when they are ready to be replaced by his draft picks after a year or two. Meaning he'll continue to keep the salary cap healthy.
  3. He has shown a clear understanding that teams overpay in the first wave of FA, and despite there being some talented players that align to our needs, the contractual demands they will have do not align with his philosophy for long-term building and success.

If you consider what we know about John Idzik, then you should know to expect him to mostly fill the holes at WR, RT, OG, CB as well as maybe addressing some other key areas of weakness... before the draft. He's just not going to do it during the overpay wave of free agency.

What does this mean? It means we "lose out" on giving gross contracts to mediocre FAs because we "need" them. Perpetual losers waste money right now, and set their teams back. Look what Miami did last year. Even the teams that are going all-in for a championship push, like Denver is doing, are truly setting themselves up for a huge drop-off in 3 years.

oh my - u are blinded my friend by your unrelenting love of your GM...come into the light before it is too late, you get married, things turn sower, and messy divorce

But not so that you would really notice it or anything.

Look, get back to me after he fixes a couple positions on this team. In the mean time, he's sitting on $40m+ of cap space with holes all over the field.

But not so that you would really notice it or anything.

Look, get back to me after he fixes a couple positions on this team. In the mean time, he's sitting on $40m+ of cap space with holes all over the field.

Okay, I'll get back to you when we aren't 19.5 hours into free agency then.

LOL

I see no reason to decide that we know Idzik's philosophy based upon last season.  That is pretty much wishful thinking on our part.  Another thing that nobody seems to consider is that Tannenbaum seemed the same way when he took over.  Cautious, making smart moves and waiting for the bad money (Martin, Pennington, etc) to come off the books.  That first year he plugged holes and made inexpensive decisions.  Ramsey and Clemens to compete at QB, cheap RB (Barlow, tried for Suggs), Dyson did a nice job at CB cheap.  Then in 2007 he got cute with Kendall and everything went to sh*t.  His big splash was Thomas Jones in a pick swap.  Not much different than the Ivory deal, though I guess the contract was more lucrative.  For '08 they went in on Favre, Jenkins, Faneca and traded up to get Keller.  It's likely Idzik will be more patient, but this Howard thing could end up like Kendall.  I hope they get a legit starter for RT cause Aboushi seems as scary to me as Clarke and Bender. 

Okay, I'll get back to you when we aren't 19.5 hours into free agency then.

LOL

In other words, you'll get back to me after 18 of the top 20 free agents were already signed.

Oh wait, that's already happened. Maybe you'll wait for the last 2 of those 20? :winking0001:

NEVER overpay.  That is that. Overpay and you pay down the line.  Give me a healthy cap and a good draft.

In other words, you'll get back to me after 18 of the top 20 free agents were already signed.

Oh wait, that's already happened. Maybe you'll wait for the last 2 of those 20? :winking0001:

Holes all over the field: OG, RT, CB, S, WR, WR, QB, OLB, TE

All conceivable positions we need to fill right? So maybe scale it back and say we'll fill 6 of them in FA... is that fair?

$40mil (minus about $10 million to pay our rookie class, because we have a ton of draft picks, and maybe to extend a veteran like Mo Wilk or something)... $30mil

$30mil / 6 = $5mil per contract against the cap this year.

Most of the players signed in the past 20 hours got more than this. All we need is for ONE of our signings to cost us more against the cap this year, and sudden we're looking at less than $5mil per guy to fill these holes.

The world in which $40mil buys you a completely revamped, rebuilt contender is make-believe.

I see no reason to decide that we know Idzik's philosophy based upon last season.  That is pretty much wishful thinking on our part.  Another thing that nobody seems to consider is that Tannenbaum seemed the same way when he took over.  Cautious, making smart moves and waiting for the bad money (Martin, Pennington, etc) to come off the books.  That first year he plugged holes and made inexpensive decisions.  Ramsey and Clemens to compete at QB, cheap RB (Barlow, tried for Suggs), Dyson did a nice job at CB cheap.  Then in 2007 he got cute with Kendall and everything went to sh*t.  His big splash was Thomas Jones in a pick swap.  Not much different than the Ivory deal, though I guess the contract was more lucrative.  For '08 they went in on Favre, Jenkins, Faneca and traded up to get Keller.  It's likely Idzik will be more patient, but this Howard thing could end up like Kendall.  I hope they get a legit starter for RT cause Aboushi seems as scary to me as Clarke and Bender. 

I know as much as he's told us what to expect of him. That is all. 

I'm not trying to come across as naive or even positive. It's really just an appeal to being reasonable. Miami spent a ton in the first week of FA last year, and got absolutely NOTHING out of any of those bloated contracts they handed out.

If Idzik doesn't overpay, and it makes fans cry, I support Idzik in that scenario. I would hope more reasonable fans do to.

That's all. 

Reminder: We really don't know jacksh*t about John Idzik just yet.

I know he's not handing out ridiculous contracts within 20 hours of FA. Other than that, I'm hopeful that what he's said about his philosophy continues to align with his actions. From what I see, that is the case. :)

Holes all over the field: OG, RT, CB, S, WR, WR, QB, OLB, TE

All conceivable positions we need to fill right? So maybe scale it back and say we'll fill 6 of them in FA... is that fair?

$40mil (minus about $10 million to pay our rookie class, because we have a ton of draft picks, and maybe to extend a veteran like Mo Wilk or something)... $30mil

$30mil / 6 = $5mil per contract against the cap this year.

Most of the players signed in the past 20 hours got more than this. All we need is for ONE of our signings to cost us more against the cap this year, and sudden we're looking at less than $5mil per guy to fill these holes.

The world in which $40mil buys you a completely revamped, rebuilt contender is make-believe.

Basically, all of that is wrong.

1. We will have more than $40 million after we cut Sanchez.

2. We won't need $10 million to sign the draft class. It will be less than that.

3. We're not extending Wilkerson this year.

4. No one said they all had to make $5m. Most should make less. There are decent but limited players that can be had for 2-3 per.

Basically, all of that is wrong.

1. We will have more than $40 million after we cut Sanchez.

2. We won't need $10 million to sign the draft class. It will be less than that.

3. We're not extending Wilkerson this year.

4. No one said they all had to make $5m. Most should make less. There are decent but limited players that can be had for 2-3 per.

We haven't cut Sanchez.

I said it was a made-up number that combines paying our rookies and extending veterans like Mo Wilk, perhaps not him, but he is representative of the idea of locking up your core talent.

I'm just showing you how far the money goes. You can't bitch about not signing anyone in the first 24 hours, when all the players signed in that period make $5+ mil, and then tell me that decent but limited players make 2-3.

Which do you want - super contracts for the top 20 FA in under 24 hours from the start of FA because: mountain of money?

Or $2-3 mil for decent but limited players.

You are kind of talking out of both sides of  your mouth.

But yea, everything I said is wrong. LOL

I know as much as he's told us what to expect of him. That is all. 

I'm not trying to come across as naive or even positive. It's really just an appeal to being reasonable. Miami spent a ton in the first week of FA last year, and got absolutely NOTHING out of any of those bloated contracts they handed out.

If Idzik doesn't overpay, and it makes fans cry, I support Idzik in that scenario. I would hope more reasonable fans do to.

That's all. 

I have no problem with Idzik.  Yet.  Believing what he says?  Fine, but what GMs and agents say is even more meaningless than what players and coaches say.  it is nice to discuss, but has very little bearing on reality. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but an "appeal for being reasonable"?  A "reminder"? On JetNation?   You are like a teacher in class imploring kids to "STOP BEING STUPID!" 

I have no problem with Idzik.  Yet.  Believing what he says?  Fine, but what GMs and agents say is even more meaningless than what players and coaches say.  it is nice to discuss, but has very little bearing on reality. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but an "appeal for being reasonable"?  A "reminder"? On JetNation?   You are like a teacher in class imploring kids to "STOP BEING STUPID!" 

I know.

I'm just surprised that the opposing points have come from the reasonable people here, mostly. Not the "kids", if you know what I mean.

We haven't cut Sanchez.

I said it was a made-up number that combines paying our rookies and extending veterans like Mo Wilk, perhaps not him, but he is representative of the idea of locking up your core talent.

I'm just showing you how far the money goes. You can't bitch about not signing anyone in the first 24 hours, when all the players signed in that period make $5+ mil, and then tell me that decent but limited players make 2-3.

Which do you want - super contracts for the top 20 FA in under 24 hours from the start of FA because: mountain of money?

Or $2-3 mil for decent but limited players.

You are kind of talking out of both sides of  your mouth.

But yea, everything I said is wrong. LOL

You don't have to sign them all for the same $. You could spend 21 total on a corner, tackle and a wide receiver and then split the rest up for an average of 2.5 or whatever. There's a lot of ways to divide this $.

You don't have to sign them all for the same $. You could spend 21 total on a corner, tackle and a wide receiver and then split the rest up for an average of 2.5 or whatever. There's a lot of ways to divide this $.

Jesus Christ.

NEVER overpay.  That is that. Overpay and you pay down the line.  Give me a healthy cap and a good draft.

and in 5 years, if you are really good at the draft, you might have something. unfortunetly for idzik, he would be fired before that ever happened. this is new York, you know.

Archived