Ex-Panthers WR Steve Smith worth a Cap Friendly look?

SouthernJet

Not doubting his skill/production (or his past skill/production anyway), but he's the type of locker room distraction the Jets could do without.

Though significant, it wasn't ALL about money with Carolina.  They literally don't have another WR on the team, they could be legit contenders in 2014 if they had a couple, and still let him go.  And he's a career Panther.  That tells me the team that knows him best no longer thinks what he does on the field counters his distractions.

He's supposed to be a very dedicated worker, though, and it would be good for a draftee to see how a pro prepares for the season or a game, and who succeeds despite obvious size disadvantages.

But he's such a dick I don't know.

Not doubting his skill/production (or his past skill/production anyway), but he's the type of locker room distraction the Jets could do without.

Though significant, it wasn't ALL about money with Carolina.  They literally don't have another WR on the team, they could be legit contenders in 2014 if they had a couple, and still let him go.  And he's a career Panther.  That tells me the team that knows him best no longer thinks what he does on the field counters his distractions.

He's supposed to be a very dedicated worker, though, and it would be good for a draftee to see how a pro prepares for the season or a game, and who succeeds despite obvious size disadvantages.

Yup, thats the conundrum , great work effort, will back up every team-mate, but his 150% enthusiasm sometimes gets in the way. .I just think Rex might be the one kind of Coach who could channel it some way,,I could be wrong

Ya Panthers let him go cause in his mind he was Team Leader, not Cam,, and Panthers want cam to be,..There was a 'Steve Camp' and the younger guys were in the 'Cam Camp' 

If this team was a WR away from being legit, sure. That's not nearly the case. All he would do is hold up younger players from getting reps. I don't see the point in signing him.

Yeah, I think you're right.  

We can add 2 WRs if the idea is to keep both for a few years (which doesn't apply to Smith).

We can draft a WR and start him.  We couldn't draft 2 WRs and start both.  We have 1 WR already, and will likely add another.  But if we don't I still don't think Smith is going to help more than he hurts with both his personality and with (as you rightly bring up) take reps away from one who might otherwise be our starter.

I think pass on him.  At least until we see what we did or didn't add in the draft.

"I want to make sure that whatever team I go to, they're going to get the best, in-shape 35-year-old guy they can get," he said. "If that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on cause there's going to be blood and guts everywhere."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333864/article/steve-smith-matchup-with-panthers-could-get-messy

"I want to make sure that whatever team I go to, they're going to get the best, in-shape 35-year-old guy they can get," he said. "If that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on cause there's going to be blood and guts everywhere."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333864/article/steve-smith-matchup-with-panthers-could-get-messy

LOL

I've always liked this guy. He's got the tenacity and mentality of a linebacker, but plays WR.

I would take him for the right price....definitely see him helping more than hurting......he is just a hard nosed feisty angry football player...not like the usual diva WR's you usually see..

having steve smith and decker in the same locker room would be like a dave chappelle skit

(video has some dirty language be careful if you click at work)

http://youtu.be/TdNifZ_6DDg

Is he a bad lockerroom guy or is he just an on field sh*t talker type?  Feel like he's that guy you love to have on your side but hate him when he's on the other side.

Is he a bad lockerroom guy or is he just an on field sh*t talker type?  Feel like he's that guy you love to have on your side but hate him when he's on the other side.

well he did sneak attack some rookie in the film room with the lights off and put him in the hospital. witnesses said the kid did nothing and just asked to rewatch a play a couple times and apparently steve didn't like that. the guy sued him claiming the fight ended his nfl career.

well he did sneak attack some rookie in the film room with the lights off and put him in the hospital. witnesses said the kid did nothing and just asked to rewatch a play a couple times and apparently steve didn't like that. the guy sued him claiming the fight ended his nfl career.

No sh*t?  Never heard this story.  Maybe we shouldnt sign him then.  haha

I think if it was just on the field, Carolina wouldn't be sick of him.  The sides would have parted amicably as just a business decision.  Instead, there's bad blood on both sides (not unlike the Jets and Revis a year ago, though the situations were different).

I think if it was just on the field, Carolina wouldn't be sick of him.  The sides would have parted amicably as just a business decision.  Instead, there's bad blood on both sides (not unlike the Jets and Revis a year ago, though the situations were different).

hospitalizing 3 teammates will do that. when he was an elite player the benefits outweighed the hassles from the panthers' perspective. he diminishing skills have now probably made it more trouble than it is worth. he can still ball but is he worth the trouble? big wild card and probably not a risk to take on a young coalescing team.

Ravens agreed to terms with WR Steve Smith, formerly of the Panthers, on a three-year, $11 million contract.

The deal reportedly includes a $3.5 million signing bonus. Smith didn't want to venture far from his Charlotte base, and the Ravens didn't want to let him leave without a contract. Going on 35, Smith has lost multiple steps the past two seasons, but is still an extremely sure pair of hands, and capable of making plays against tight coverage. He's the kind of chain mover the Ravens sorely lacked after trading away Anquan Boldin. Smith may only catch 50-60 passes in 2014, but along with a healthy Dennis Pitta, will take pressure off of Joe Flacco. Smith's fantasy value is on the wane, but he'll be in the WR3/4 conversation.

Archived