offseason has been impressive

Jetknowledge

I know that if I wanted to teach John Elway a lesson, I'd come a-runnin' to the Jets offense to help me do it.

Like being dumped by Brooke Burke and getting back at her by screwing Rosie Odonnel.

Do these words sound familiar?

I think I figured out idzik's plan. Push 40m into next year's cap, get the first pick of the draft and then get rid of Rex. Go into next off-season and then push 80 into the following years cap then sign LeBron James and Melo to a max contract.

It reads like excellent satire to me.

Knowshon Moreno or Chris Johnson could help the running game here.

Moreno is excellent at picking up blitzes and catching out of the backfield. He is meh running the ball and is excellent at crying  !! :1cry:

Really impressive? We went into free agency with so many glaring needs and barely filled any of them. We still need CB another WR a TE,LB and possibly a backup QB. Im not impressed.

would you rather be the raiders and try to solve every problem through free agency? it's not even close to being over and we will get to signing other players. yeah we missed out on a few good players, and some we didn't go after probably because idzik has other plans than to spend all the money we have in the first 4 days

Really impressive? We went into free agency with so many glaring needs and barely filled any of them. We still need CB another WR a TE,LB and possibly a backup QB. Im not impressed.

I think Idzik ate no frills food growing up

WR's LaFell & Simpson LB Spikes- DE Spencer =Gone  TE Finley and G Strief working out contracts with Seattle and NO

They say week 3 of free agency is when you get your best bargains. Its pretty obvious Idzik isnt even close to being done. Still a ton of guys out there that can help this team out and a ton of cap room. The ending objective is to have 2 or even 3 viable starters battling it out at every position by the time training camp starts.

Here's a list:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/look-top-remaining-nfl-free-agents

Outside linebackers (1)

47. Shaun Phillips

Defensive ends (7)

18. Jared Allen
42. Corey Wootton
51. Julius Peppers
64. Anthony Spencer
82. Robert Ayers
95. Willie Young

Cornerbacks (4)

12. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
48. Antonio Cromartie
60. Walter Thurmond III
77. Chris Harris

Defensive tackles (2)

34. Henry Melton
100. Pat Sims

Inside linebackers (1)

80. Brandon Spikes

Quarterbacks (2)

52. Michael Vick
107. Josh Freeman

Running backs (5)

40. Ben Tate
75. Knowshon Moreno
81. James Starks
90. LeGarrette Blount
92. Maurice Jones-Drew

Wide receivers (6)

35. Julian Edelman
39. Emmanuel Sanders
44. James Jones
89. Brandon LaFell
102. Jerome Simpson

Tight ends (2)

71. Jermichael Finley

Offensive tackles (1)

101. Zach Strief

Offensive guards (2)

86. Davin Joseph
98. Travelle Wharton

Centers (1)

94. Brian De La Puente

They say week 3 of free agency is when you get your best bargains. Its pretty obvious Idzik isnt even close to being done. Still a ton of guys out there that can help this team out and a ton of cap room. The ending objective is to have 2 or even 3 viable starters battling it out at every position by the time training camp starts.

I'm not sure that there will be much left by week 3. A lot of the guys you listed are close to signing already.

I'm not sure that there will be much left by week 3. A lot of the guys you listed are close to signing already.

They're also older and don't seem to fit the profile of what Idzik wants. Clearly, he's not trying to chase 2014 wins at the expense of 2015 and beyond cap flexibility.

these are the same situation. anytime another team uses the Jets to drive up their asking price with their current team it is a negative

by the way the whole Revis signing with Patriots thing was not a positive. It's a friggin Greek tragedy.  Casual Jets fans will find out about this next summer and want to put out their eyes. Whether they could have avoided it or not is a moot question. All that matters is the Pats are loading up for another run and the Jets are shooting for the wildcard...maybe. Like every other year.  

Which, has nothing to do with a corner, of course, and everything to do with them having a QB and us not really...

There are more. That was just one list. There will also be more cuts by the end of the month.

would you rather be the raiders and try to solve every problem through free agency? it's not even close to being over and we will get to signing other players. yeah we missed out on a few good players, and some we didn't go after probably because idzik has other plans than to spend all the money we have in the first 4 days

The Raiders, having over $60 mil (which at some point needs to be spent 89% rule/ 4 years) spent about half so far, filling many holes and have given themselves tremendous flexibility heading into the draft with good veteran signings. They can go BAP in the Draft and build depth and coach up kids to be starters while the vets lay out front loaded, short term contracts.

The Jets are not is such an enviable position. We have several holes to FILL going into the draft. We could have filled them with premier talent players in the prime of their careers, but we chose not to. Right or wrong, this is what Idzik chose to do. Follow last years bargain basement shopping bin approach. I hope it works and we find bargains here and in the Draft to get to 8-8 or better.

We'll see how the approach works.... If we go 7-9 or 6-10 this year, will I still hear you guys talking about long term plan, setting up for the next 10 yrs, bs?

by the way the whole Revis signing with Patriots thing was not a positive. It's a friggin Greek tragedy.  Casual Jets fans will find out about this next summer and want to put out their eyes..  

<sniff> ... yes... <sniff>  ... they went from one shut down corner to a different shut down corner and it cost them a bunch of money to do it...<sniff>.... I'll never recover from the horrible and terrible awfulness of it 

<sniff> ... yes... <sniff>  ... they went from one shut down corner to a different shut down corner and it cost them a bunch of money to do it...<sniff>.... I'll never recover from the horrible and terrible awfulness of it 

Revis deal was actually better for NE... no long term commitment like Talib got.

Denver, N.O. Indy all going for the ring this year.

Jets?.... We got a Plan!... Trust us.

The Raiders, having over $60 mil (which at some point needs to be spent 89% rule/ 4 years) spent about half so far, filling many holes and have given themselves tremendous flexibility heading into the draft with good veteran signings. They can go BAP in the Draft and build depth and coach up kids to be starters while the vets lay out front loaded, short term contracts.

The Jets are not is such an enviable position. We have several holes to FILL going into the draft. We could have filled them with premier talent players in the prime of their careers, but we chose not to. Right or wrong, this is what Idzik chose to do. Follow last years bargain basement shopping bin approach. I hope it works and we find bargains here and in the Draft to get to 8-8 or better.

We'll see how the approach works.... If we go 7-9 or 6-10 this year, will I still hear you guys talking about long term plan, setting up for the next 10 yrs, bs?

minus the cb position, we're pretty much already better than we were last season pending the signing of a guard. Every team has holes to fill and even if we do go out and grab someone at every position, we will still have holes because there are things called busts, and clearly idzik is trying to prevent costly busts because thats been hurting us the last few years. Free agency is not over, and the draft hasn't begun. This isn't the time to be spitting on Idzik, we'll see how it goes in the draft

minus the cb position, we're pretty much already better than we were last season pending the signing of a guard. Every team has holes to fill and even if we do go out and grab someone at every position, we will still have holes because there are things called busts, and clearly idzik is trying to prevent costly busts because thats been hurting us the last few years. Free agency is not over, and the draft hasn't begun. This isn't the time to be spitting on Idzik, we'll see how it goes in the draft

On the contrary, I'm trying to light a fire under his A$$. I'm hoping the PR Dept. is getting a straw poll of how the fan base feels about their moves. Woody, who's always concerned about those things, tells Idzik " Dude, fans are clamoring for an upgrade at the CB position. Let's give them something to cheer about. Go the extra $1 mil/yr and get DRC done. Front load it so we can cut his ass if he's less than we signed on for."

1. Aside from not showing interest in Shwartz and not landing Asamoah, I'm not sure which move you were hoping for. For all we know, Breno Giacomini might be our new swing tackle, and Ben Ijalana will be the starter at either RT or OG. I also wouldn't rule out a draftee like Taylor Lewan in the first, as he might slide and present fair value for the draft slot.

2. Getting "played" by Davis just reveals that Vontae wanted to stay with his (playoff caliber) team, in his current house, at his current pay (which is substantial), and that our beans weren't enough to pry him away from those factors. How much higher than $10M per would it have taken to change his mind without overpaying?

Verner is the only real argument here given that he was signed for a very reasonable contract, and changed teams. Still, I question how he would have fit in a press coverage scheme as he's billed more as a zone defender who plays bail-technique in coverage.

Who's complaining? Giacomini is a JAG, but that's ok. Schwartz signed for less than he did and is a significantly better player.

So the Raiders are doing it the smart way?

I don't think there's any evidence that Idzik is choosing not to sign premier players. The two guys he allegedly went after hard and missed, Davis and Pettigrew, ultimately decided to stay with their own teams. He let Howard go, an average (at best) OT being paid a premium price by Oakland. He did sign the top free agent at WR. They're talking to a guy now at CB who previously turned down $9M/year. Is that a conversation you even have if penny-pinching is your primary concern?

I think you need to take a breath and realize we're still just a few days into free agency. It's a little early to talk about what Idzik has done this offseason in the past tense.

On the contrary, I'm trying to light a fire under his A$$. I'm hoping the PR Dept. is getting a straw poll of how the fan base feels about their moves. Woody, who's always concerned about those things, tells Idzik " Dude, fans are clamoring for an upgrade at the CB position. Let's give them something to cheer about. Go the extra $1 mil/yr and get DRC done. Front load it so we can cut his ass if he's less than we signed on for."

I don't think it's how it works because if that was the case we'd have Revis. But it's nice to dream like your part of the organization

Revis deal was actually better for NE... no long term commitment like Talib got.

Denver, N.O. Indy all going for the ring this year.

Jets?.... We got a Plan!... Trust us.

Right - does your thinking that include the $5mil cap hit the Pats take if they don't opt to pay him $20mil next year? Which - btw - they don't do. They will restructure into a longer term contract. Which was the basis for your argument.

So the Raiders are doing it the smart way?

I don't think there's any evidence that Idzik is choosing not to sign premier players. The two guys he allegedly went after hard and missed, Davis and Pettigrew, ultimately decided to stay with their own teams. He let Howard go, an average (at best) OT being paid a premium price by Oakland. He did sign the top free agent at WR. They're talking to a guy now at CB who previously turned down $9M/year. Is that a conversation you even have if penny-pinching is your primary concern?

I think you need to take a breath and realize we're still just a few days into free agency. It's a little early to talk about what Idzik has done this offseason in the past tense.

See post #58 above about Idzik.

As far as the Raiders, what everyone  fails to see is the terms of the deals they signed. Howard is basically on a yr. to yr. contract, the way they have it spelled out. Yeah the guaranteed money was a bit high, but they can get out from a lot of these deals with only a few scratches. All this while showing their crazy fan base they're trying to put a competitive product on the field.

I bet the Oakland fan base is pumped up! While we on the other hand a hoping and praying Idzik knows how to Draft.

Other than Sheldon, did we have a Great draft last year? If Geno is the answer, then Absolutely YES. If not, but Milliner turns into a #1 CB then it was a good draft.

I just hope we can do as well as Minn. last year

Right - does your thinking that include the $5mil cap hit the Pats take if they don't opt to pay him $20mil next year? Which - btw - they don't do. They will restructure into a longer term contract. Which was the basis for your argument.

Yes.

The cap, by all estimates, will be going up another $10 mil next year. And team carry Dead money all the time(Sanchez, Holmes). Revis put this wording into yr. 2 of the contract so he can be a FA next year and go to the highest bidder again. I don't think he stays in NE unless he gets his SB ring.... which he won't.

As far as the Raiders, what everyone fails to see is the terms of the deals they signed. Howard is basically on a yr. to yr. contract, the way they have it spelled out. Yeah the guaranteed money was a bit high, but they can get out from a lot of these deals with only a few scratches. All this while showing their crazy fan base they're trying to put a competitive product on the field.

I bet the Oakland fan base is pumped up! While we on the other hand a hoping and praying Idzik knows how to Draft.

Other than Sheldon, did we have a Great draft last year? If Geno is the answer, then Absolutely YES. If not, but Milliner turns into a #1 CB then it was a good draft.

Aren't you like 50 years old or something? How many times have you seen the Jets win the offseason! only to fall on their faces in the regular season?

Yeah, I'd love to see signings, too. Everyone would. But we've had some serious incompetence in the front office for years before Idzik was hired. I don't know if Idzik is incompetent, too, yet, but I'm willing to give the guy a shot to do things in the slow and calculated way as opposed to the waiting on the doorstep at midnight way.

If he gets DRC done, maybe we can settle down a little bit?

The Raiders, having over $60 mil (which at some point needs to be spent 89% rule/ 4 years) spent about half so far, filling many holes and have given themselves tremendous flexibility heading into the draft with good veteran signings. They can go BAP in the Draft and build depth and coach up kids to be starters while the vets lay out front loaded, short term contracts.

The Jets are not is such an enviable position. We have several holes to FILL going into the draft. We could have filled them with premier talent players in the prime of their careers, but we chose not to. Right or wrong, this is what Idzik chose to do. Follow last years bargain basement shopping bin approach. I hope it works and we find bargains here and in the Draft to get to 8-8 or better.

We'll see how the approach works.... If we go 7-9 or 6-10 this year, will I still hear you guys talking about long term plan, setting up for the next 10 yrs, bs?

It's how you build a franchise for the future. To win now you need the rite team, coach, coaching staff, vets, and young talent.

Only way we miss the playoffs this year is off injuries. Or a un-improved offense and secondary.

As far as the Raiders, what everyone fails to see is the terms of the deals they signed. Howard is basically on a yr. to yr. contract, the way they have it spelled out. Yeah the guaranteed money was a bit high, but they can get out from a lot of these deals with only a few scratches. All this while showing their crazy fan base they're trying to put a competitive product on the field.

we had a great draft last year, & this year we will do better.

All minnesota did was grab 3 1st rounders not much else, this draft is important for them.

Archived