What exactly IS Idzik's FA plan?

MexiRoll6

You have to suffer a little bit to become an organization that consistently puts a strong product on the field.

Because Idzik is from the Seahawks, everyone looks in that direction, but I think the team we should really look at is the Steerers, and I think we are building to become like them.  No big second contract splashes.  No headlines, just consistently a competitive team who lets guys go when someone is willing to outbid them and has a next man up philosophy.  Unfortunately, this change doesn't happen immediately.  But, I'm willing to be patient if it means we don't have to do, as Arsis points out above, what we're doing right now every couple of seasons when our All-In moves don't work.

I don't know if there is one proven method for building a perennial contender. Yes, that has been the Steelers way, and they have been highly successful, but they also have been incredible in the draft. If they were not, there method would not yield crap.

I don't know why it has to be either all in, or do nothing either. The Giants seemed to do a bit of both, they made a few high profile signings, and big trades, and also built through the draft, and have two championships to show for it, same number as the Steelers in recent times.

I have said this before and I will say it again, building through free agency or the draft only works if you can recognize and develop talent. Plenty of teams have built crap through the draft, and plenty of teams have built crap through FA.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's legit, Gato.  

Good size, and can cover a good amount of ground for a thumper.  He's a (very) willing tackler and he gets ints, sacks, forced fumbles and pd's.

He's a higher quality strong safety in a day and age where strong safeties as I knew them growing up (the safety who is way better against the run than the pass) is growing obsolete. Not a bad player or anything, but there's nothing that makes me think they missed an elite guy. Not that this doesn't describe every player in the NFL to their masas, but he's the kind of guy who'll get cut in two years because he's not a complete enough player. 

If there's a safety they missed out on it's Byrd, who deservedly got way more money and commitment. 

Burger King sold tacos in the early 2000's. Just cause you're in the mood for mexican food didn't make the taco better. 

They did?  But they didn't stop selling burgers the money maker did they?

The analogy was shaky, but the point is if you want tacos you keeping driving down the road until you find a taco shack. 

The strength of this year's FA crop wasn't wide receivers, yet somehow we still managed to get the best of the litter.  If we focus more on building our team with quality players rather than settling for the best of what's left we can save our resources to be able to afford the quality players when they come around.  In this scenario (regarding WRs) it will be the upcoming draft, and the following year's free agent market.  Once we start compiling talent, "quality" players will choose to come here (Ward, Talib, Ware, etc), and potentially do so for less money. 

I don't know if there is one proven method for building a perennial contender. Yes, that has been the Steelers way, and they have been highly successful, but they also have been incredible in the draft. If they were not, there method would not yield crap.

I don't know why it has to be either all in, or do nothing either. The Giants seemed to do a bit of both, they made a few high profile signings, and big trades, and also built through the draft, and have two championships to show for it, same number as the Steelers in recent times.

I have said this before and I will say it again, building through free agency or the draft only works if you can recognize and develop talent. Plenty of teams have built crap through the draft, and plenty of teams have built crap through FA.

Outside of Eli, what are the Giants high profile moves?  And, that's basically a draft move anyhow.  Legitimate question because I thought most of their talent is home-grown.

I'm also not against making a big free agent splash occasionally.  I just think it needs to be more targeted and later in the process.  Even with Tannenbaum the mistake wasn't the initial splashes, the mistakes came when we didn't win, and rather than accepting that, he continued going down the same path and adding bad contracts for 'one last shot'.

Right now, none of the big moves we could have made make us an instant contender.  That's why Decker made sense, he's young and consistent, he can be a player for the life of his contract.

PS, you're an idiot ;)

45 years and counting.....................yes I sound like a broken record.

So you're saying at the beginning of the season the ultimate goal isn't the Super Bowl?

It is but when and how realistic have to be taken into account as well. You don't go all in on a long shot when playing the long game inscreases your chances drastically. The people here can cry amd whine but the Jets are setting themselves up for 3-4 legitimate shots at the superbowl starting next year. If, and it's a huge if, we keep getting good value out of the draft.

Outside of Eli, what are the Giants high profile moves?  And, that's basically a draft move anyhow.  Legitimate question because I thought most of their talent is home-grown.

I'm also not against making a big free agent splash occasionally.  I just think it needs to be more targeted and later in the process.  Even with Tannenbaum the mistake wasn't the initial splashes, the mistakes came when we didn't win, and rather than accepting that, he continued going down the same path and adding bad contracts for 'one last shot'.

Right now, none of the big moves we could have made make us an instant contender.  That's why Decker made sense, he's young and consistent, he can be a player for the life of his contract.

PS, you're an idiot ;)

The Giants signed Plaxico, McKenzie and the MLB (cannot remember his name) all to pretty big deals to fill 3 major weaknesses, and the trade for Eli was a huge trade.

I agree that no 2 or 3 moves make us an instant contender, but the right guys could give something to build on, and for the record, I have not complained about anything other than not going after Mevi$, which as much as I am annoyed by, I can understand.

Yeah, I know I am an idiot, This board has given me feelings of inadequacy that I am having a hard time dealing with.

The Giants signed Plaxico, McKenzie and the MLB (cannot remember his name) all to pretty big deals to fill 3 major weaknesses, and the trade for Eli was a huge trade.

I agree that no 2 or 3 moves make us an instant contender, but the right guys could give something to build on, and for the record, I have not complained about anything other than not going after Mevi$, which as much as I am annoyed by, I can understand.

Yeah, I know I am an idiot, This board has given me feelings of inadequacy that I am having a hard time dealing with.

I think the draft is what we want to build on.  With this strategy, we'll still have the money to do so when we bring in some more good young talent.  Truth is, as bad as our drafts have been with the busts we've had, they've been as bad or worse in that they've failed to add capable depth to the team.  That's why we've been as big a mess as we've been lately.

I think the draft is what we want to build on.  With this strategy, we'll still have the money to do so when we bring in some more good young talent.  Truth is, as bad as our drafts have been with the busts we've had, they've been as bad or worse in that they've failed to add capable depth to the team.  That's why we've been as big a mess as we've been lately.

Im all for building through the draft. If you look at most of the skill positions on offense, it's virtually impossible these days to fill them all through FA. To be clear, my stance has not really been anti-Idzik other than the Mevi$ thing, in which case I was fired up and really drunk. I just find it impossible to give all this great praise to Idzik when he has not yet built a great team.

Are we this beaten down as fanbase where not doing anything really bad yet is enough to get you lots of praise? I will wait until he builds a great team to give him praise, until then Im taking a wait and see approach.

And to be clear, if people want to love or hate him at this point, hey, it's all good, I just find it incredibly hypocritical to bash someone for the opposing stance right now on Idzik when his grade cannot be anything higher or lower than an incomplete.

Im all for building through the draft. If you look at most of the skill positions on offense, it's virtually impossible these days to fill them all through FA. To be clear, my stance has not really been anti-Idzik other than the Mevi$ thing, in which case I was fired up and really drunk. I just find it impossible to give all this great praise to Idzik when he has not yet built a great team.

Are we this beaten down as fanbase where not doing anything really bad yet is enough to get you lots of praise? I will wait until he builds a great team to give him praise, until then Im taking a wait and see approach.

And to be clear, if people want to love or hate him at this point, hey, it's all good, I just find it incredibly hypocritical to bash someone for the opposing stance right now on Idzik when his grade cannot be anything higher or lower than an incomplete.

Is Idzik really getting "lots of praise?"

I see the board right now as a bunch of people killing him, and then others saying, "not so fast."

I think he's done a good job and I don't that's about being beaten down.  I think sometimes the correct move is being patient.  Essentially, the Rome wasn't build in a day ideology.  It's not exciting or spectacular, but it's what the franchise needs.  Essentially, I believe, and I think there's a preponderance of evidence to support this belief, but the best strategy towards a championship is not the same one that necessarily squeaks out 10 wins and a wild-card this year.

I don't know what Idzik is doing but im sick and tired of hearing how he's going to improve this roster through the draft. As Jets fans we all know how that goes. If it weren't for the Gholstons,Hills,McKnights and DuCasses we would be discussing a Super Bowl run if not a victory. 

Free agency gives you an opportunity to sign NFL proven players they already auditioned. We had money to add key players we didn't.

Win now? Lmao. You're delusional if you think the Jets can compete for a superbowl year two of a rebuild. The Jets can pull a Tannenbaum and go all in this year and win nothing and **** themselves in three years.

Or,

They can keep building a base and set themselves up to improve year by year while maintaining cap flexibility. ****, we can push 40m into next years cap and sign every free agent.

As it stands, I don't see how they are doing the latter. Decker is a serious improvement but other than that we're essentially the same team we were last year, maybe worse. The draft picks will help. But I think there's a sensible middle ground between going all in like Tannenbaum and punting like Idzik.

As it stands, I don't see how they are doing the latter. Decker is a serious improvement but other than that we're essentially the same team we were last year, maybe worse. The draft picks will help. But I think there's a sensible middle ground between going all in like Tannenbaum and punting like Idzik.

Decker is an addition to the base.  But, the base is Richardson, Snacks, Wilkerson, D'Brick, Mangold, Harris, Kerley, Davis, and you hope eventually Geno & Millner & Coples.  There weren't players who were going to be a part of your long-term core available.  Mostly, because they're part of other teams long term cores.  Maybe Verner, but he wasn't a fit scheme wise.

Decker is an addition to the base.  But, the base is Richardson, Snacks, Wilkerson, D'Brick, Mangold, Harris, Kerley, Davis, and you hope eventually Geno & Millner & Coples.  There weren't players who were going to be a part of your long-term core available.  Mostly, because they're part of other teams long term cores.  Maybe Verner, but he wasn't a fit scheme wise.

I don't think Brick, Mangold, and Harris are going to be part of the base much longer.

I don't think Brick, Mangold, and Harris are going to be part of the base much longer.

I'm not entirely sure but I think D'Brick is basically a lifer based on the most recent restructure. Harris is only even here for this season for want of anything better to do with the money. We probably try to get Mangold to take a pay cut next year.

For all you hand-wringing girl-men who wanted to throw money at turds like Decker and Maclin, here's the list of 2015 free agent receivers:

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those guys won't be available. I don't see any scenario where the Falcons and Bengals let guys like Julio and Green walk.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those guys won't be available. I don't see any scenario where the Falcons and Bengals let guys like Julio and Green walk.

Ditto the Bears and Marshall, if only because he and Cutler are the Mickey and Mallory of the NFL.

For all you hand-wringing girl-men who wanted to throw money at turds like Decker and Maclin, here's the list of 2015 free agent receivers:

Wait so now we have a GM who can predict the future and plan on building his team through the following years projected free agents?  WOW Is Idzik from another planet?

45 years and counting......get ready with the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL draft the NY Jets select _______________.

What? Who the eff is that? Oh noooooooooooooooooooo, Not again.

Just a note you've failed to provide any plan that makes us a super bowl competitor this year, as I asked earlier.

Ditto the Bears and Marshall, if only because he and Cutler are the Mickey and Mallory of the NFL.

The top guys on that list that make it to market are Crabtree, Roddy, and Nelson. You don't pass up a perfectly reasonable deal for a dude like Decker, who 100% checks out, to have a chance at bidding on one of them. More importantly, his contract certainly doesn't preclude us from doing that anyways.

P.S. That is an outstanding analogy.

How about all the good players we could have signed this free agent period.

Which ones?  Please detail your plan in which the Jets are a legitimate contender.

And, if possible, avoid contradicting yourself... which will probably be an impossibility.

Ok.  So, your plan is to "sign all the good ones."

Again, you'd literally be the worst person on this site to be a GM.

Ok lets start on the defensive side of the football.

We let Cro go he was our starting CB. We could have replaced him with Revis the best in the game or Verner or Talib.

Safety we experimented with the aging Ed Reed Dawan Landry JAG Antonio Allen needs help we could have added Byrd,Whitner or Ward.

We needed an OLB pass rusher we opted for Calvin Pace and passed on DeMarcus Ware.

Offensively speaking

OL we let Howard walk there were a few decent guys avalilable we signed a JAG Giacomini.

We had the worst WRs in the NFL last season we cut Holmes and signed Decker but Decker cant do it alone we need 1-2 immediate NFL worthy WRs Nicks,Sanders,Austin.Britt.

We didn't resign Winslow who when he was on the field last season was a beast. We signed Cumberland but still need another TE we signed no body.

Archived