Marty gives DJ "Thumbs Up", Idzik gives "Thumbs Down"

eboozer

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/03/30/marty-mornhinweg-said-desean-jackson-will-problem-jets/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

Marty Mornhinweg said DeSean Jackson will not be problem for Jets

The New York Jets were expected to be a relatively strong suitor for DeSean Jackson once the Philadelphia Eagles decided to release him, because the Jets still have a need for more talented pass-catchers around Geno Smith even after signing the talented Eric Decker to a lucrative contract in free agency. The Jets were wisely unwilling to spend a high draft pick and $30 million over three seasons to acquire Jackson in a trade, but a smaller asking price on the free agent market would be the right discount to sway thrifty GM John Idzik. But Idzik also seems to be brushed off by Jackson’s character concerns and the Eagles willingness to get rid of him after his career year, and thus the Jets haven’t shown any interest in D-Jax following Friday’s release.

Adding Jackson not only would have given the Jets a huge upgrade at the wide receiver position, but it would have also reunited him with Marty Mornhinweg and Michael Vick, who was signed earlier this month. ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini reports that Mornhinweg did what he could to assure the Jets organization that Jackson wouldn’t be a locker room distraction for the team, but Mornhinweg’s “blessing” hasn’t changed the opinion of the Jets front office.

At this point, I highly doubt the Jets change their minds on DeSean Jackson, as it looks like Idzik is extremely apprehensive about signing him. Idzik is usually worried about cost the most, but he’s also shown an unwillingness to sign players who have baggage, and I’m guessing that’s part of the reason why the Jets didn’t go hard after Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who signed a hefty contract with the crosstown rivals.

If Mornhinweg’s words of assurance can’t change Idzik’s mind, then just about nothing will. It looks like the Oakland Raiders and Washington Redskins are the two teams to watch for the closets in the Jackson sweepstakes, while the Jets turn their focus to the 2014 NFL Draft class to get upgrades at WR/TE and CB.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unicorn.gifjack_in_the_box.gifanime-mermaid.gif

The Land of Idzik.... A magical place where only "good things" happen according to the Great Master's, "Master Plan"

There's no darkness there, and bad behavior is eschewed. The Great Master's Followers, known as "Gonads" worship the Master and protect him from the evil "Realists" who tend to question some of the Masters decisions.

ESPNNY  cimini is like a kid with the teacher watching, lol

2. DeSean update: Unless they pull a 180, the Jets won't be a factor in the DeSean Jackson sweepstakes -- a smart move. He's not a fit for them. They held internal discussions on Jackson, with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg giving his blessing. Mornhinweg, who coached him with the Philadelphia Eagles, told people in the organization that Jackson -- known for his bad-boy reputation -- wouldn't be a problem in the locker room. That apparently wasn't enough to sway Idzik, who reportedly hadn't reached out to Jackson's agent as of Saturday. Jackson is scheduled to visit Monday to the Washington Redskins. The Oakland Raiders might be interested as well.

ESPNNY  cimini is like a kid with the teacher watching, lol

2. DeSean update: Unless they pull a 180, the Jets won't be a factor in the DeSean Jackson sweepstakes -- a smart move. He's not a fit for them. They held internal discussions on Jackson, with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg giving his blessing. Mornhinweg, who coached him with the Philadelphia Eagles, told people in the organization that Jackson -- known for his bad-boy reputation -- wouldn't be a problem in the locker room. That apparently wasn't enough to sway Idzik, who reportedly hadn't reached out to Jackson's agent as of Saturday. Jackson is scheduled to visit Monday to the Washington Redskins. The Oakland Raiders might be interested as well.

If this is true, I don't like it at all.   Mornhinweg knows this guy, and his impact on the locker room, better then anyone in the league probably

unicorn.gifjack_in_the_box.gifanime-mermaid.gif

The Land of Idzik.... A magical place where only "good things" happen according to the Great Master's, "Master Plan"

There's no darkness there, and bad behavior is eschewed. The Great Master's Followers, known as "Gonads" worship the Master and protect him from the evil "Realists" who tend to question some of the Masters decisions.

dude

the master pan is to have cap flexibility when they finally find a QB to build a legit SB contender.  if that means not shooting the whole cap in one off season on aging players or thug turds, big ******* deal

he is building the team through the draft

he played WR and coached WR, he knows the position

If this is true, I don't like it at all. Mornhinweg knows this guy, and his impact on the locker room, better then anyone in the league probably

Mornhinweg is likely looking for another job next year if things don't go right. He could care less if Jackson counts $20 mil against the cap after 2014 as long as it saves his ass this year.

reports are chiefs backed out.  I'm aware andy reid doesn't coach the jets

Yeah I read that.  

If Mornhinweg  is giving a thumbs up, I think Idzik should at least bring him in to see what his side of the story is.  Maybe send that ex FBI agent the Jets have on the staff out there to see what's up.  His OC is putting his job on the line for the guy.  That is if any of these stories are true

Jackson would be a major impact player for the Jets, don't dismiss him totally because the media is playing him out to be a gangster.

if it turns out he is, and is a monster in the locker room, OK, move on

Mornhinweg is likely looking for another job next year if things don't go right. He could care less if Jackson counts $20 mil against the cap after 2014 as long as it saves his ass this year.

Beat me to the punch by 2 minutes Tom lol

andy reid says "do not want"

The following, could also be a big reason why they can't/won't get involved.

Reid already gave his blessing to DeSean days ago. I think it's a matter of cost

Est. Salary Cap Space: $4,659,280

Offensive Spend: 24 Players: $52,886,281

Defensive Spend: 24 Players: $66,513,009

Specials Spend: 3 Players: $7,103,750

Free Agents:

Alex Smith; Justin Houston.... 2015

Tamba Hali

Eric Berry

Derrick Johnson

Sean Smith

Jamaal Charles

Dunta Robinson

Mike DeVito

Chase Daniel

Joe Mays

Donnie Avery

Dontari Poe

The following, could also be a big reason why they can't/won't get involved.

Reid already gave his blessing to DeSean days ago. I think it's a matter of cost

Est. Salary Cap Space: $4,659,280

Offensive Spend: 24 Players: $52,886,281

Defensive Spend: 24 Players: $66,513,009

Specials Spend: 3 Players: $7,103,750

Free Agents:

Alex Smith; Justin Houston.... 2015

Tamba Hali

Eric Berry

Derrick Johnson

Sean Smith

Jamaal Charles

Dunta Robinson

Mike DeVito

Chase Daniel

Joe Mays

Donnie Avery

Dontari Poe

I admit I have no idea what's going on, like all of us I see reports and draw my own conclusions

but the report is that they "backed off after doing a check on his off the field stuff"

I would assume they were interested, and understood he is looking for a big deal. 

in any event, idzik isn't going off of his plan for a diva turd

that's a good thing

if reid and marty gave blessings, but front office people are getting cold feet, I think that's because the coaches don't care about the cap and the blowback as much as the executives do

It's a blog.

watch for the closets

Going through spellcheck once is not editing. 

Yeah I read that.  

If Mornhinweg  is giving a thumbs up, I think Idzik should at least bring him in to see what his side of the story is.  Maybe send that ex FBI agent the Jets have on the staff out there to see what's up.  His OC is putting his job on the line for the guy.  That is if any of these stories are true

Jackson would be a major impact player for the Jets, don't dismiss him totally because the media is playing him out to be a gangster.

if it turns out he is, and is a monster in the locker room, OK, move on

Idzik talked to people Mornhineg and Lal both coached Jackson.  As T0m and others said the OC isn't putting his job on the line.  Jackson is either points or a built in excuse if you are MM. Coaches are supposed to think they can coach anybody, it doesn't mean it won't hurt the team in the long run. We tried the short run in 2011, I don't understand why so many of you are so keen to relive those golden days.

Jackson skips meetings, bitches about his contract, and basically acts like a huge dipsh*t 90% of the time. He'll also start campaigning for Vick the second he walks through the door. He's basically Holmes 2.0. The alleged gang stuff is like 12th on the list of reasons not to sign him.

Jackson skips meetings, bitches about his contract, and basically acts like a huge dipsh*t 90% of the time. He'll also start campaigning for Vick the second he walks through the door. He's basically Holmes 2.0. The alleged gang stuff is like 12th on the list of reasons not to sign him.

Couldnt possibly agree more,.it's stunning to me how many people want this guy after what we just went through with Holmes, fantasy football syndrome at it's finest.

Give dbatesman the award for hitting it on the head.

No, that's all made up by Evil Chip Kelly and The Evil Philly Media. Desean is perfect and nice and said stuff in a prison once and crips can be very nice.

Good. That's how it should be. After years of Tannenbaum drafting scrubs to placate every assistant coach on the staff, it's nice to see someone in charge who isn't afraid to stick to his guns.

Couldnt possibly agree more,.it's stunning to me how many people want this guy after what we just went through with Holmes, fantasy football syndrome at it's finest.

Give dbatesman the award for hitting it on the head.

WoT9eek.gif

You know who's great to have in fantasy football? The Seahawks defense. They're the best! Marshawn Lynch, great in fantasy.

Oh, that Manning guy is pretty good, too! Deymarius Thomas - horrible to have in fantasy football, right? Decker, Welker - the pits. Julius Thomas?

And no, this is not me campaigning for Jackson, but pointing out how easy it is to say things (especially catchy little numbers like "fantasy football syndrome")  and not really waste a second thinking about them.

Still looking for the actual Mornhinweg quote...

The feeling that Marty gave during his stop at starbucks was that he was high on djax and low on idzik. When interviewed a source close to his morning barista said that they would pull any quote I wanted out of their ass for ¥1000.

Archived