Richard Sherman continues to be my favorite non-Jet

Klecko73isGod

http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman-speaks-the-truth-on-desean-jackson-1556967089?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Love this guy. If he was a FA and Idzik didn't make a play for him I'd be worse than stoicsentry, eboozer and madmike combined

This is a tricky one, I can't decide whether to go the "that's impossible" route with this one or the "you already are" route.  Give me some time to mull this one over and I'll get back to you.

I wouldn't oppose this, but can you imagine the media craze over him in new york? My god

There would be a media craze over the Jets signing one of the best cover corner in the NFL who also happens to be a Stanford grad and one of the smartest players in the league?

I mean, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. But look how much the media's all over him in Seattle, can you imagine it in New York? And anything the Jets do is already over-covered. Not sure I mentioned anything about his intelligence or where he went to school 

There would be a media craze over the Jets signing one of the best cover corner in the NFL who also happens to be a Stanford grad and one of the smartest players in the league?

I mean, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. But look how much the media's all over him in Seattle, can you imagine it in New York? And anything the Jets do is already over-covered. Not sure I mentioned anything about his intelligence or where he went to school 

The Jets being over covered is a good reference. The NY Media really does overachieve. 

Nice to see someone finally bringing up the pass that Irsay got. ******* hypocrites.

That's a billionaire's world though, they get out of everything regardless of the medium. I agree to an extent what Sherman is saying, but he has a tendency to paint this as too much black and white. Matt Jones got caught blowing lines and getting in trouble and there was no one saying that he just needed help. He was routinely blasted for being a degenerate and felon, even though he was white.  

Flip on over to baseball and Ron Washington's coke scandal. Yea, it was an issue, but Nolan Ryan and Daniels viewed it as a carry-over from his playing days and gave him a second chance. I would venture a guess if Ozzie Newsome did the same thing, people would be giving him the Irsay treatment of just "needing help."

I think it has more to do with the type of trouble they're getting in.  People have a long leash for leniency when it comes to drug issues, but when you start involving homicides, like Desean's friends, that's when it gets shortened.  At least from my viewpoint. I'm not saying it's right, but Sherman has to understand that when you're investing tens of millions of dollars into a player, you need to know they won't be getting into serious trouble. Hanging out with those who are affiliated with gangs and or homicides, is a red flag.  

That piece was definitely well written and thought provoking and Richard Sherman is undoubtedly a very good football player and a smart guy. But a smart guy who went to Stanford can still be an ass, which is what I think Sherman is. I know he is very charitable, I have seen the videos proving such. But I also see him go on ESPN and get in ridiculous arguments with Skip Bayless and you don;t  think that interview with Erin Andrews wasn't thought about before the end of the game, because it was. The guy is an attention whore and that would only get worse in New York.

That piece was definitely well written and thought provoking and Richard Sherman is undoubtedly a very good football player and a smart guy. But a smart guy who went to Stanford can still be an ass, which is what I think Sherman is. I know he is very charitable, I have seen the videos proving such. But I also see him go on ESPN and get in ridiculous arguments with Skip Bayless and you don;t  think that interview with Erin Andrews wasn't thought about before the end of the game, because it was. The guy is an attention whore and that would only get worse in New York.

His ownage of Skip Bayless is the moment I became a Richard Sherman fan. It was nice seeing a player render that douchnozzle speechless. 

The slobbery about how intelligent this guy is almost like reverse racism. Can journalists cover this guy anymore without injecting his perceived intelligence into the article.... It's like when someone said Colin Powell was articulate. Yeah I would hope so because both these guys went to top schools and graduated heads of their class... And also happen to be black

BTW. Love Richard Sherman

Why does there have to be a narrative for everything. We're riding hard for Idzik right now and how he's taking all personal feelings out of negotiations...but we're also supposed to defend Sherman's comparisons? An interesting dynamic here.

The slobbery about how intelligent this guy is almost like reverse racism. Can journalists cover this guy anymore without injecting his perceived intelligence into the article.... It's like when someone said Colin Powell was articulate. Yeah I would hope so because both these guys went to top schools and graduated heads of their class... And also happen to be black

BTW. Love Richard Sherman

He excused Jackson then brought race into the mix, totally glossing over what his gang friendships are because of where he grew up. Because if you grew up around gangs and left the hood years ago you have to stay friendly with them. That you grew up in that environment it's ok and makes those relationships casual and insignificant.

Oh, and only a total idiot thinks the guys who sign the checks are held to the same standards as those who cash the checks.

And for this he's alled intelligent?

He excused Jackson then brought race into the mix, totally glossing over what his gang friendships are because of where he grew up. Because if you grew up around gangs and left the hood years ago you have to stay friendly with them. That you grew up in that environment it's ok and makes those relationships casual and insignificant.

Oh, and only a total idiot thinks the guys who sign the checks are held to the same standards as those who cash the checks.

And for this he's alled intelligent?

Yes, apparently. First paragraph:

Richard Sherman has written another post for The MMQB, and this time he is wading into the mess of stupid that has bubbled up around DeSean Jackson's release from the Eagles and alleged gang ties. It's the smartest thing that's been written about the situation yet.

:face:

Yes, apparently. First paragraph:

Richard Sherman has written another post for The MMQB, and this time he is wading into the mess of stupid that has bubbled up around DeSean Jackson's release from the Eagles and alleged gang ties. It's the smartest thing that's been written about the situation yet.

:face:

I don't get why whenever some people see a red flag they shoo it away as racism. It's racist to question the associated of someone you're guaranteeing 16 mil and hitching your career onto?

And this is intelligent? How smart do you have to be to blame racism for everything?

I don't get why whenever some people see a red flag they shoo it away as racism. It's racist to question the associated of someone you're guaranteeing 16 mil and hitching your career onto?

And this is intelligent? How smart do you have to be to blame racism for everything?

He's not wrong with anything he said. The only thing I'd disagree with is the Irsay thing which I think has less to do with race and more to do with the fact that he's one of 32 people who collectively own the NFL. I'd be losing my sh*t though if I was a player and saw the hypocritical NFL do basically nothing to an owner for something they'd strip me of half my season for. 

Idk. To be honest, I would think it's a little like everyone else. Your friends from childhood are who they are. You can't pick where you grew up, and nobody wants to be a loner. Then, what, you desert your friends later in life? Maybe it was bad timing that the gang member on Jackson's label actually shot a guy, but I don't think I'd expect Jackson to disassociate with someone from his childhood (prior to that event) just because of being a gang member. I think what maybe happened was Jackson looked at the rest of the NFL and said, "a ton of guys in the league have friends just like I do." But, who knows.  My biggest complaint is "Black guy from hood went to Stanford and weighs in on issue, therefore, smart." Like, get off the guy's nuts already. Let him be a regular member of society and if he wants to mouth off, fine. Doesn't mean you treat him as the second coming of Langston Hughes.

He's not wrong with anything he said. The only thing I'd disagree with is the Irsay thing which I think has less to do with race and more to do with the fact that he's one of 32 people who collectively own the NFL. I'd be losing my sh*t though if I was a player and saw the hypocritical NFL do basically nothing to an owner for something they'd strip me of half my season for.

Other than to run and pull the race card because Jackson may have gang ties. Yeah, that's wrong.

Hypocritical?

B Edwards was suspended how many games for DUI?

Fined how much?

They can lose their sh1t all they want but they won't because they will never jeopardize a paycheck.

Idk. To be honest, I would think it's a little like everyone else. Your friends from childhood are who they are. You can't pick where you grew up, and nobody wants to be a loner. Then, what, you desert your friends later in life? Maybe it was bad timing that the gang member on Jackson's label actually shot a guy, but I don't think I'd expect Jackson to disassociate with someone from his childhood (prior to that event) just because of being a gang member. I think what maybe happened was Jackson looked at the rest of the NFL and said, "a ton of guys in the league have friends just like I do." But, who knows. My biggest complaint is "Black guy from hood went to Stanford and weighs in on issue, therefore, smart." Like, get off the guy's nuts already. Let him be a regular member of society and if he wants to mouth off, fine. Doesn't mean you treat him as the second coming of Langston Hughes.

If you're a player, who has his career and millions tied into who you associate with and you rant smart enough to stay away from those guys you deserve whatever people infer by that association. I seem to remember being told to stay away from a criminal element, wasn't racist. That's life.

Archived