Meyshawn showing his class again.

Jetfan13

Keyshawn, Boomer get into war of words over Chrebet

Wayne Chrebet will be inducted into the Jets’ Ring of Honor and Keyshawn Johnson is involved in another war of words. In other words, their legacies remain intact.

At Monday night’s game against the Bears, it was announced Chrebet, a fan favorite whom Johnson once referred to as the team mascot, would receive the special tribute. Boomer Esiason, the WFAN host and former Jets quarterback, was proud to see his former teammate honored, but also used the occasion to insult Chrebet’s more talented and divisive teammate.

Modal Triggerchrebet.jpg?w=300

Wayne ChrebetPhoto: Charles Wenzelberg

“I just hated the fact that Keyshawn Johnson called him the mascot of the Jets,” Esiason said Tuesday morning. “Totally disrespectful. If you put Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet in a room together and you looked at the guys, you’d say, ‘OK, who’s gonna be the better player?’ You would say that Keyshawn Johnson would be because he’s more gifted and everything else.

“But I’ll tell you what. You take Wayne Chrebet’s heart out of him and put it into Keyshawn Johnson, you got Jerry Rice. That’s basically what you have.”

Nearly three years ago, the ex-Jets chirped at one another when Esiason made similar comments about Johnson’s selfishness as player, with the wide receiver responding that the quarterback was “infatuated” with him. Johnson, who spent his first four seasons with the Jets, fired back again at Esiason Tuesday afternoon.

When a fan alerted Johnson on Twitter, he responded to Esiason in a series of tweets.

“If I worried about that trash of a QB my life would be over!! Some people just need ratings”

“I’ve never played with him been around him let alone would ever speak to him he’s gum under my shoe.”

“You know people like him would do any thing to be relevant say any thing.”

Johnson, the former No. 1 overall pick, finished his career with 814 receptions, 10,571 yards and 64 touchdowns. Chrebet retired with the third-most ever catches by an undrafted free agent (580) and 41 touchdowns. Both were key members of the 1998 Jets squad which fell one game short of the Super Bowl.

Boomer was right and wrong in this case.  It was a classless move for Keyshawn to refer to Chrebet as a mascot, but despite Keyshawn grossly over-estimating his talent as a WR, I don't think there was ever a lack of heart displayed by him on the field.  He always played hard...at least when he was in NY. 

Boomer was right and wrong in this case. It was a classless move for Keyshawn to refer to Chrebet as a mascot, but despite Keyshawn grossly over-estimating his talent as a WR, I don't think there was ever a lack of heart displayed by him on the field. He always played hard...at least when he was in NY.

Boomer is the Isiah Thomas of the New York football scene.

Boomer is the Isiah Thomas of the New York football scene.

To each  his own....I don't love the guy, and he didn't light it up as a Jet, but he sure didn't run the franchise in to the ground from multiple roles for close to a decade.  No matter how  you feel about him, do you think he's wrong to say it was a bad move to call Chrebet a mascot?

Both were stupid to get into this.  Only this franchise would have a player's induction into the Ring of Honor lead to public bickering from two other former Jets.

Chrebet is one of the biggest reasons I'm a Jets fan (SEE:  Username) and his head is basically mush after what he did for the Jets.  He deserves a day of recognition free of pettiness.

To each his own....I don't love the guy, and he didn't light it up as a Jet, but he sure didn't run the franchise in to the ground from multiple roles for close to a decade. No matter how you feel about him, do you think he's wrong to say it was a bad move to call Chrebet a mascot?

He's Isiah-esque in that he thinks he was a lot better than he was, and he's spent his post-playing career being a gadfly and sycophant to every organization that would hand him a check. As analysts, Keyshawn is so much better than Norman that it's scary. As far as the mascot comment, that was 20 years ago.

He's Isiah-esque in that he thinks he was a lot better than he was, and he's spent his post-playing career being a gadfly and sycophant to every organization that would hand him a check. As analysts, Keyshawn is so much better than Norman that it's scary. As far as the mascot comment, that was 20 years ago.

Key was better?  In what way?  Numbers show that Boomer was much more productive.  Top-10 offense six or seven times, more pro-bowls, won an MVP, etc....  KJ was a great posession reciever who could pluck the ball out of a crowd but couldn't do much after the catch.  Almost set the all-time NFL record for most catches without getting in to the end zone when he hauled in 106 grabs for the bucs with one TD.  That one TD was his 102nd catch or something like that.  Far from the dominant playmaker he claims to be.

Key was better?  In what way?  Numbers show that Boomer was much more productive.  Top-10 offense six or seven times, more pro-bowls, won an MVP, etc....  KJ was a great posession reciever who could pluck the ball out of a crowd but couldn't do much after the catch.  Almost set the all-time NFL record for most catches without getting in to the end zone when he hauled in 106 grabs for the bucs with one TD.  That one TD was his 102nd catch or something like that.  Far from the dominant playmaker he claims to be.

True words.  But he's still the last true WR1 we've had.  Decker might be one, but otherwise that list is blank.

I don't see Keyshawn claiming to be a dominant player. I see a guy who is comfortable in his own skin who has grown up quite a bit since his rookie year. 

Boomer, on the other hand, is an obnoxious douche. 

Keyshawn forever cemented his place in my heart when he folllowed Justin Beiber to his house in his Prius to yell at him for driving too fast through the neighborhood. Keyshawn as a grumpy old man, shaking his fist and yelling "get off my lawn" is spectacular. 

Key was better? In what way? Numbers show that Boomer was much more productive. Top-10 offense six or seven times, more pro-bowls, won an MVP, etc.... KJ was a great posession reciever who could pluck the ball out of a crowd but couldn't do much after the catch. Almost set the all-time NFL record for most catches without getting in to the end zone when he hauled in 106 grabs for the bucs with one TD. That one TD was his 102nd catch or something like that. Far from the dominant playmaker he claims to be.

I said Keyshawn is a better analyst.

I don't see Keyshawn claiming to be a dominant player. I see a guy who is comfortable in his own skin who has grown up quite a bit since his rookie year. 

Boomer, on the other hand, is an obnoxious douche. 

Keyshawn forever cemented his place in my heart when he folllowed Justin Beiber to his house in his Prius to yell at him for driving too fast through the neighborhood. Keyshawn as a grumpy old man, shaking his fist and yelling "get off my lawn" is spectacular. 

It was a few years ago, but I've seen some comments from Key that I remember very well because I thought he was so far off base.  In one interview, he said that if you go back and "watch the film", CB's never lined up in his face because they were scared to.  He said he would have been able to get behind that so quickly that they didn't dare press him.  Then, in another interview he claimed his career numbers aren't that great because  he never played with a top QB.  This, despite the fact that he had a season in which his non-elite QB got him the ball 106 times, and not once did he take one the distance for a score.  His only TD was a catch in the back of the end zone.  Again, I'm not a huge fan of either guy, but if somebody asks Boomer to sum up Chrebet in recognition of the ring of honor situation, I see nothing wrong with him saying Chrebet was a great player and he thought it was inappropriate for his teammate to call him a mascot.

It was a few years ago, but I've seen some comments from Key that I remember very well because I thought he was so far off base.  In one interview, he said that if you go back and "watch the film", CB's never lined up in his face because they were scared to.  He said he would have been able to get behind that so quickly that they didn't dare press him.  Then, in another interview he claimed his career numbers aren't that great because  he never played with a top QB.  This, despite the fact that he had a season in which his non-elite QB got him the ball 106 times, and not once did he take one the distance for a score.  His only TD was a catch in the back of the end zone.  Again, I'm not a huge fan of either guy, but if somebody asks Boomer to sum up Chrebet in recognition of the ring of honor situation, I see nothing wrong with him saying Chrebet was a great player and he thought it was inappropriate for his teammate to call him a mascot.

Keyshawn and Chrebet buried the hatchet over this years ago. Boomer can't honor Chrebet without dredging up old nonsense AND taking a shot at Keyshawn?

That's what makes Boomer a POS. Just praise Chrebet. There was no need to go there. 

Not to mention that by going there he takes the spotlight off of Chrebet and puts it on himself and Keyshawn.

Boomer is a douche. 

Keyshawn and Chrebet buried the hatchet over this years ago. Boomer can't honor Chrebet without dredging up this nonsense AND taking a shot at Keyshawn. 

That's what makes Boomer a POS. Just praise Chrebet. There was no need to go there. 

I don't completely disagree, and I think it would be a bigger deal if Boomer was over the top about it.  Unless I heard wrong, I think he just said that he thought it was unfortunate or inappropriate or something along those lines.  Definitely would have been better off to just offer congrats.

Keyshawn is good on TV and supports the Jets. He actually seems like a decent guy.

Boomer's a politician. When he's actually talking football in the morning(rare) he's a good listen.

Would seem Key has mostly owned up to being silly when he was a young guy, and he didn't start this. He said something very stupid about #80 a long time ago. Would seem Johnson and Chrbet are very different people and probably will never be pals, but again Johnson didn't say anything at all this week. Esiason was the person who dredged it up. And in effect he stepped all over Chrebet's moment by doing so. 

Would seem Key has mostly owned up to being silly when he was a young guy, and he didn't start this. He said something very stupid about #80 a long time ago. Would seem Johnson and Chrbet are very different people and probably will never be pals, but again Johnson didn't say anything at all this week. Esiason was the person who dredged it up. And in effect he stepped all over Chrebet's moment by doing so. 

On this we 100% agree. 

Archived