Ian Rapoport- Rex safer than Idzik to keep job?

Matt39

idzik is safe. would be pretty crazy to can idzik when he only has gone through one draft (he was hired like a week before last draft, had really no choice but to basically trust prior regime's scouting)

You don't get the luxury to "start rebuilding" in year 3 as a GM.   idzik had 2 seasons to turn the roster over and has done about as bad of a job as you could do with 19 draft picks and a ton of cap space.   

Regardless of the Jets record if Idzik had shown any ability to draft you could make a case for him.   Unfortunately his drafts have been beyond horrible.  

I just don't see how you can make a case for rebuilding in yr 3.   We laugh at Oakland but are actually in worse shape....at least they may have something in Carr (who we passed on).  

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True. But as with Sanchez, the HC has to sit such a guy and do what he can with the alternatives on hand.

Rex needs to ask permission from Idzik to take a piss, forget about benching Geno

If Idzik is a loser for taking the job when he couldn't fire Rex, the next guy will be a loser for taking the job working for a GM who decides the starting lineup. 

The whole thing is messed up, and it goes all the way to Woody. You don't get to the lowest spending roster by accident. 

You don't get the luxury to "start rebuilding" in year 3 as a GM. idzik had 2 seasons to turn the roster over and has done about as bad of a job as you could do with 19 draft picks and a ton of cap space.

Regardless of the Jets record if Idzik had shown any ability to draft you could make a case for him. Unfortunately his drafts have been beyond horrible.

I just don't see how you can make a case for rebuilding in yr 3. We laugh at Oakland but are actually in worse shape....at least they may have something in Carr (who we passed on).

If Stephen Hill wasn't such a bust, and we could've had him on the field yesterday, the offense looks incredibly improved .

Amaro is our best receiver as far as impact plays that he makes

Decker gets respect which opens up other guys

Kerleys as solid as a slot receiver as you could ask

Mornhinweg doesn't know what to do with running back and I'm sure he'll be looking for work next year. That's not Idzik fault that our OC doesnt know to use Chris Johnson on basic outside plays, screens and sweeps

Geno sucks. That's unfortunate. I think it's a matter of "who else instead?" Therefore, we get Geno who at his draft position wasn't crazy. Sanchez being hurt by Rex the buffoon was awful. Never even saw him in this offense. That set us back for who even know how long

He missed on a lot of stuff... But the jury needs to keep gathering evidence

The problem with this draft is that need absolutely missed his first round pick by a country mile

Probably too early to judge Pryor. Entire secondary is a total mess. I don't know much about X's and O's but I can imagine having weak CBs is pretty tough on a safety, especially a rook

You don't get the luxury to "start rebuilding" in year 3 as a GM.   idzik had 2 seasons to turn the roster over and has done about as bad of a job as you could do with 19 draft picks and a ton of cap space.   

Regardless of the Jets record if Idzik had shown any ability to draft you could make a case for him.   Unfortunately his drafts have been beyond horrible.  

I just don't see how you can make a case for rebuilding in yr 3.   We laugh at Oakland but are actually in worse shape....at least they may have something in Carr (who we passed on).  

Yes, there is no easy way out but at least a heap of cap space will make it (hopefully) easier. I'd like to see the Jets trade or pick up a vet QB. I don't mean a matt moore type--i mean a carson palmer type. We need a steward that can give us a credible if uninspiring option at the QB position next year while we search (again) for the QB of the future. I do NOT want another rookie QB thrown in there next year. Jets have a pretty horrid track record with starting rookie QBs. Let a guy sit an develop for a year.

Probably too early to judge Pryor. Entire secondary is a total mess. I don't know much about X's and O's but I can imagine having weak CBs is pretty tough on a safety, especially a rook

Yes, there is no easy way out but at least a heap of cap space will make it (hopefully) easier. I'd like to see the Jets trade or pick up a vet QB. I don't mean a matt moore type--i mean a carson palmer type. We need a steward that can give us a credible if uninspiring option at the QB position next year while we search (again) for the QB of the future. I do NOT want another rookie QB thrown in there next year. Jets have a pretty horrid track record with starting rookie QBs. Let a guy sit an develop for a year.

His IQ probably isn't as high as it should be. He doesn't have that insticitive "what if" first play of the game yesterday he cheats up to man coverage and Allen pulls over to his side. Demaryius Thomas I think was the receiver who was wide open. 20 yards of free space easily. 50 yard opening pass from Manning. No excuse

If Stephen Hill wasn't such a bust, and we could've had him on the field yesterday, the offense looks incredibly improved .

Amaro is our best receiver as far as impact plays that he makes

Decker gets respect which opens up other guys

Kerleys as solid as a slot receiver as you could ask

Mornhinweg doesn't know what to do with running back and I'm sure he'll be looking for work next year. That's not Idzik fault that our OC doesnt know to use Chris Johnson on basic outside plays, screens and sweeps

Geno sucks. That's unfortunate. I think it's a matter of "who else instead?" Therefore, we get Geno who at his draft position wasn't crazy. Sanchez being hurt by Rex the buffoon was awful. Never even saw him in this offense. That set us back for who even know how long

He missed on a lot of stuff... But the jury needs to keep gathering evidence

huh?   this offense is terrible from top to bottom and that falls on Idzik not morningwhig.  

Idzik pushed all in on Geno and lost now he goes down with the ship.   They could have had a real competition, Jets could have drafted any number of QB's, or they could have passed on Geno entirely last year.    Idzik and Geno are linked at the hip and rather than put together a top 10 OL to build from Idzik went to the bargain bin for Willie Colon, late rd picks, and a DL to play OG.  

huh? this offense is terrible from top to bottom and that falls on Idzik not morningwhig.

Idzik pushed all in on Geno and lost now he goes down with the ship. They could have had a real competition, Jets could have drafted any number of QB's, or they could have passed on Geno entirely last year. Idzik and Geno are linked at the hip and rather than put together a top 10 OL to build from Idzik went to the bargain bin for Willie Colon, late rd picks, and a DL to play OG.

Our line is really in trouble. Can't argue with that. Time to pay the piper. His approach was almost like "win now". Otherwise what the explanation for neglecting the line

Just one problem. Tom Donohoe picked Bill Cowher and yet Kevin Colbert inherited him and kept him for seven years and won a Superbowl with Roethlisberger. Rex isn't Cowher, but the conception that the keep the coach/fire the executive can't work, isn't grounded in proof

Within the Jets organization, the history of partial house cleaning approach has proven time and again that it fails.

I don't care what the Steelers did, because they know what they are doing. We're talking about the Jets, who make bad hires, fire some of them, then force the rest on the next batch of bad hires, and so on, and so forth... 

Your t-shirts aren't going to be clean if you only wash one armpit at a time.

Within the Jets organization, the history of partial house cleaning approach has proven time and again that it fails.

I don't care what the Steelers did, because they know what they are doing. We're talking about the Jets, who make bad hires, fire some of them, then force the rest on the next batch of bad hires, and so on, and so forth...

Your t-shirts aren't going to be clean if you only wash one armpit at a time.

It's not like Pittsburgh has some magic formula for choosing the right executives. I'm sure Rex doesn't fit their mold because he's brash, but if you look at it, basically it's "pick a guy, see the long term plan, and let things develop". Cowher was a rookie head coach. I doubt he was in full command of his abilities for many year . I'm sure he learned a lot on the job. It starts with ownership. Rooney's are the antithesis of win now. They will be patient and continue to let things develop. When things get shaky, they probably call their guys in the office and tell them they have their back and continue working on the strategy. That is so not the case in Florham Park, everyone's in power struggle, probably even Woody himself to some degree because he's got no idea what he's doing. Who the **** hires an executive search firm to hire a general manager? That's the big problem here. So if woody just told Idzik and Rex " look, you've got each other, and for the foreseeable future, this thing is Idzik operation and you go and coach- but your both here for the next five years. Get it done." Maybe that isn't communicate in the press, but it's probably go a long way towards the team building philosophy because this draft was putrid. Nothing is perfect, but every change in the office is a step back. It's like building a retirement portfolio- you need to keep contributing and leave it alone. It will work in the long hau . But every time you rebalance on market swings you do more harm then good

It's not like Pittsburgh has some magic formula for choosing the right executives. I'm sure Rex doesn't fit their mold because he's brash, but if you look at it, basically it's "pick a guy, see the long term plan, and let things develop". Cowher was a rookie head coach. I doubt he was in full command of his abilities for many year . I'm sure he learned a lot on the job. It starts with ownership. Rooney's are the antithesis of win now. They will be patient and continue to let things develop. When things get shaky, they probably call their guys in the office and tell them they have their back and continue working on the strategy. That is so not the case in Florham Park, everyone's in power struggle, probably even Woody himself to some degree because he's got no idea what he's doing. Who the **** hires an executive search firm to hire a general manager? That's the big problem here. So if woody just told Idzik and Rex " look, you've got each other, and for the foreseeable future, this thing is Idzik operation and you go and coach- but your both here for the next five years. Get it done." Maybe that isn't communicate in the press, but it's probably go a long way towards the team building philosophy because this draft was putrid.

I stopped reading at the bold, because it kind of is like that given their history of success. 

The only bad decision Pittsburgh has made in recent memory was letting Arians get away from them, and replacing him with Todd Haley.

I stopped reading at the bold, because it kind of is like that given their history of success.

The only bad decision Pittsburgh has made in recent memory was letting Arians get away from them, and replacing him with Todd Haley.

That's fine because it's not like I expected a thought provoking discussion from you anyway

This all goes back to Woody 2 years ago forcing the new GM prospects to keep Rex - chasing away nearly all the elite GM talent.

Idzik will get his chance to hire his head coach.

This.

What the people who despise Idzik but love Rex don't understand is that Rex being forced on the potential GMs is the only reason we don't have someone better than Idzik. All the top echelon candidates balked when they heard that stipulation. If they wanted someone better than Idzik running the show now, then they should've been on board with showing Rex the door back when we ousted Tannenbaum.

This.

What the people who despise Idzik but love Rex don't understand is that Rex being forced on the potential GMs is the only reason we don't have someone better than Idzik. All the top echelon candidates balked when they heard that stipulation. If they wanted someone better than Idzik running the show now, then they should've been on board with showing Rex the door back when we ousted Tannenbaum.

If Rex was as highly regarded around the NFL as Rex fans pretend he is, you'd think that plenty of GMs would be lining up to take the Jets job.

If Rex was as highly regarded around the NFL as Rex fans pretend he is, you'd think that plenty of GMs would be lining up to take the Jets job.

Yup. One of the best executives in the NFL, Ozzie Newsome, knew the deal when he passed over the supposed "heir apparent" in Wrecks for some obscure special teams coach from Philly, who then went on to win the Super Bowl.

Idzik is safe, but the fact that he did better drafting with the prior regime's scouting might perhaps be a little ominous.

why does Idzik get a 2nd chance to rebuild?   

this team has no talent, I don't care who the HC is.   Idzik had a chance to start over on day 1 and he pushed all in with Geno Smith.   A college 'system' QB who every QB-needy team in the NFL passed on in the draft.  

This thread just reinforces the disfunctional nature of the Jets organization. Idzik's job in the two years here have been about as awesome as the job Reggie McKenzie has done in Oakland and Dave Caldwell has done in Jacksonville. Its certainly fair to give Idzik another year just like McKenzie got and Caldwell will likely get, but those guys at least got clean slates when they began. It was their program from day 1. So you can give them a much better big picture evaluation.

Idzik got stuck with Rex. Now the Jets are left with the decision of letting the guy who has not done anything to make you think he is going to build a winner pick the coach he should have been able to pick two years ago or firing him. If he hires the guy the Jets are right back to square 1 in that they waste another year and likely are stuck with a lame duck head coach with another GM set to take over. 

Not just that but Rex's track record had not been good with development of talent and you were moving to a period where the plan (or at least what Im assuming is the plan) was to develop young talent. At this point with a new coach the 2013 draft class is basically lost and the 2014 one might not be much better off. It's not easy for another guy to come in and fix issues from the prior regime. Mangini was able to get a pulse out or Bryan Thomas and some good times out of Cotchery, but others (Vilma, Coleman, etc...) pretty much saw their pinnacles with Herm for a variety of reasons. To expect someone new to come in and fix Geno Smith at this point is not realistic. Rex was never the guy to run this team at this juncture but the owner forced it and we wasted two years. Now you may waste a third by entrusting Idzik to do what he should have done two years ago.

Its a Woody problem. Only he forces the head coach on a GM to limit his selection pool. Only he keeps old GMs with jobs within the organization for two GMs. Its his fault that this team has bascially wasted two years on a dud coach and possibly a dud GM and now its just going to be more of a mess in the future. 

You left out forcing assistants on the HC.  The power structure has been ****ed up since Parcells. 

Geno Smith was broken when he arrived. That's why he fell from #1 overall pick to #39 second rounder. Cause he's a friggin disaster. 

I blame IDzik for drafting this terrible player, not Rex for not fixing him or whatever. 

Didn't Aaron (I'll do any shιtty TV ad for money) Rodgers fall out of the top ten on draft day and have to go to another room to cry his eyes out until he got drafted low in the first round?  Geno's getting pissed off and thinking of not coming back for the second day doesn't look so immature now, does it?

Archived