2014-2015 New York Knicks

Jetlife33

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Kings close to signing George "The Star Killer" Karl and Cousins rumored to want out as a result, QUESTION TO ALL:

Let's say Knicks get 1st overall pick, would you be in favor of trading Okafor for Cousins?

Good god of course not. If we get boned in the lottery I'm not trading 4-6 for him either.

I wouldn't trade 1 or 2 pick for Cousins which is essentially Okafor or Towns. Now the 4 or 5 pick however. Kings have 18 wins in the west which means they'd have 28 wins in the east which is good enough for the 6th seed. Cousins doesn't just get points(23 ppg) and rebounds (12 rpg). He also blocks shots. He is a headache however but it is so hard to get a big man these days.

Moot point. Kings are closing in on George Karl and can offer Cousins the max.

ESPN'S lottery machine is up.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2015/mockdraft

NYK currently in 2nd but still close to top seed so need to shut Melo down to get that 25% chance. Knicks need to be in top 4 at worst with Russell now expanding the franchise picks from 3 to 4.

Knicks are 4-6 last 10 games that is way too competitive. This organization never learns. I remember in '03 the Knicks had the worst roster in the league and Lebron about to enter the nba draft and what do they do? Play hard and win 37 games and almost make the playoffs unbelievable.

Shut Melo down PLEASE

Knicks are 4-6 last 10 games that is way too competitive. This organization never learns. I remember in '03 the Knicks had the worst roster in the league and Lebron about to enter the nba draft and what do they do? Play hard and win 37 games and almost make the playoffs unbelievable.

Shut Melo down PLEASE

Once he pimps his brand this weekend he's done.

Once he pimps his brand this weekend he's done.

I agree.  He's done after the All-Star Game.

I think it was critical this last little 3 game losing streak because it put them back into the top lottery seed position.

The top pick is critical not only to increase the chance at getting Okafor at 25% but it locks them into a top 4 choice so they are guaranteed to come out the draft with one of the 4 franchise prospects in Okafor, Towns, Mudiay and Russell.

I heard that about Mase. Sad.

The media storyline on Amare's departure is making me nauseous. One of the major reasons NYK had a losing record last year and is 10-42 this year is because their $100 million player can't stay healthy

The Fire Idzik guys want to put up a billboard for Dolan to sell the team.

That's dumb because there's no way Dolan is giving up that cash cow. Firing an exec is one thing.

Knicks hope is the lottery. Media keep harping on franchise worst record but that's in the NYK best interest

He's more Glenn Robinson to me, but there's also Arod similarities too...awful contract, breaking down...not really even sure if he's still on the team.

The main concern is if JAX has a plan, which is suspect right now.

Melo's best situation is when other players are the star and he can just be himself and score.

Okafor and Russell can be that star which allows Melo to be in his own bubble.  I don't think Towns and Mudiay can be that role.

The thing is, once Melo has his surgery he's gone from the public eye really.  It's your "not really even sure if he's still on the team" notion.  What's going to dominate the Knicks is the race to the top lottery seed, the lottery selection show, then the draft.  Melo would have essentially disappeared from February to August.  If the Knicks get Okafor or Russell, they're immediately going to be anointed the savors because no one in FA is a franchise changer.

So, now, in training camp, the dynamic is going to be completely different.  Okafor/Russell are going to be top of the jersey selling list and be the golden boy for the media.  There's going to be a tier 2 FA on the team.  Then Melo is going to come back.  This won't be Linsanity Part 2 because Lin had no street cred.  Okafor/Russell will because of their lofty draft status.  Will Melo try to pull the "He's the star" nonsense, or will he take a David Robinson approach?  

I agree. He's done after the All-Star Game.

I think it was critical this last little 3 game losing streak because it put them back into the top lottery seed position.

The top pick is critical not only to increase the chance at getting Okafor at 25% but it locks them into a top 4 choice so they are guaranteed to come out the draft with one of the 4 franchise prospects in Okafor, Towns, Mudiay and Russell.

Adding Okafor or Towns also makes the Knicks a more attractive sport for a top free agent.

Jax has a plan and it's to rebuild with a top pick and cap room - the only way to rebuild in the nba.

Adding Okafor or Towns also makes the Knicks a more attractive sport for a top free agent.

Jax has a plan and it's to rebuild with a top pick and cap room - the only way to rebuild in the nba.

I agree that such a plan is the way to go.  I'm just hoping he sticks with it.

Hitting on a top 3 pick changes a franchise.  There's 4 potential franchise changers in the draft and Knicks have a shot at them if they have the worst record.

I agree that such a plan is the way to go. I'm just hoping he sticks with it.

The Knicks aren't getting back in the game with one swing. It's not a sound strategy in the first place and the people we have implementing it are dumb. This is fine because it's the NBA and almost everybody else is dumb too, so there is enough low-hanging fruit out there that the old-fashioned way still works. Look at Atlanta. Sefolosha makes 4 a year, Korver makes 6, Millsap two years 19M, and we could have had Teague for Shumpert at one point not terribly long ago.

The Knicks aren't getting back in the game with one swing. It's not a sound strategy in the first place and the people we have implementing it are dumb. This is fine because it's the NBA and almost everybody else is dumb too, so there is enough low-hanging fruit out there that the old-fashioned way still works. Look at Atlanta. Sefolosha makes 4 a year, Korver makes 6, Millsap two years 19M, and we could have had Teague for Shumpert at one point not terribly long ago.

Good point, but I believe Atlanta may prove to be a mirage.  If they lose in the first or second round of the playoffs, especially to the Cavs or Bulls, no one will be talking about how great Atlanta is.  They'll be talking about how Atlanta needs a star player.

As for the Knicks, until the lottery selection show, all I have is hope.  If they get one of the top 2 picks (which means Okafor or Russell IMO), then we'll see where they're headed.  The top of the draft tends to make teams idiot-proof if there are bona fide selections like the top 4 prospects this year.  It may not pan out, but there is no Anthony Bennett/Kwame Brown-esque pick this year.

He's more Glenn Robinson to me, but there's also Arod similarities too...awful contract, breaking down...not really even sure if he's still on the team.

Robinson is good, too. What separates Melo is how little self-awareness he has. Coleman and Robinson were at least aware that they were stealing checks.

Clearing space is fine, not trading away picks is better, but I'm not so sure this FO has a good handle on acquiring assets. All the sh*t Jax has gotten rid of this year and not one thing in return. We traded Chandler and the return is Calderon and Larkin. We held off on trading Shump for so long and in the end the only thing we got for him was someone taking JR off our hands. These really don't seem like moves that required any savvy or thought, and there's no long term interest served with the returns. What makes it even weirder is that he appears to be living in this fantasy world where second rounders have some sort of value.

Clearing space is fine, not trading away picks is better, but I'm not so sure this FO has a good handle on acquiring assets. All the sh*t Jax has gotten rid of this year and not one thing in return. We traded Chandler and the return is Calderon and Larkin. We held off on trading Shump for so long and in the end the only thing we got for him was someone taking JR off our hands. These really don't seem like moves that required any savvy or thought, and there's no long term interest served with the returns. What makes it even weirder is that he appears to be living in this fantasy world where second rounders have some sort of value.

This.

The fact that he traded all these players and didnt get a 1st rounder is mind boggling.

He also got Early and Greek Freak's brother but we don't know if they are worth anything

This.

The fact that he traded all these players and didnt get a 1st rounder is mind boggling.

He also got Early and Greek Freak's brother but we don't know if they are worth anything

That's what happens when a retired coach tries to run a franchise from his iPad in Malibu in between bong hits. Every deal Jackson has made so far reeks of absolute laziness and disinterest. Isola summarized it pretty well on ESPN radio the other day when he compared Jackson's returns to what other teams pulled in for Mozgov, etc.

Btw, every time Carmelo says that he's playing in the All Star Game for "duh fanz," I'd like to see him produce a testimonial from one fan that actually wants Melo to play in the ASG. The guy is as delusional as Chris Morris.

Knicks fans overrating shumpert. We're lucky we got someone to take jr smith's stupid contract. Shumpert is a free agent after this season if he's so good you can get him back.

Shump was occasionally a good defender and below average offensively. I dunno how Phil was supposed to get goran dragon or Lamarckism Aldridge for him but ok.

The chandler trade was Phil putting up the white flag and zeroing in on a top 3 pick. Calderon is garbage I really hope he's not the starting pg next year

That's what happens when a retired coach tries to run a franchise from his iPad in Malibu in between bong hits. Every deal Jackson has made so far reeks of absolute laziness and disinterest. Isola summarized it pretty well on ESPN radio the other day when he compared Jackson's returns to what other teams pulled in for Mozgov, etc.

Btw, every time Carmelo says that he's playing in the All Star Game for "duh fanz," I'd like to see him produce a testimonial from one fan that actually wants Melo to play in the ASG. The guy is as delusional as Chris Morris.

Melo was voted an All Star starter by the fans.

I don't personally know any fan that wants him to play in ASG, but a couple 100 thousand fans voted him to start.

Archived