2014-2015 New York Knicks

Jetlife33

This is what Begley wrote:

Ian Begley‏@IanBegley 1h1 hour ago

Worth noting on J.R. Smith: his contract has a 15 percent trade kicker applied to remaining salary this year. Has to be paid by the #Knicks.

I would believe the same applies to Melo's trade kicker.

The thing is, the cap is set to explode in 2016-17, so I think a competitive team would be willing to take on Melo's salary for 2015-16, knowing that there will be way more cap room the following year.

And I don't think Melo would want to go to LA because Kobe already announced he's retiring after next season.

Good stuff, interesting.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knicks rebuilding process would be in good shape if not for that stupid Bargnani trade.  They need a 2016 1st rounder.

Jax should try to find a way to make a trade with Toronto to get it back.  Pipe dream, I know, but still.

That said, I'll still to my only dream for now--Okafor/Towns

he's been compared to tim duncan, only more polished at this age

His offensive game, hands, and footwork are polished, probably to the point that he's not too far from his ceiling.  He's nowhere near the athlete, rebounder, or defender that young Duncan was... not to mention that Duncan's demeanor and approach to the game are a huge part of what made him a success (as was being coached by Pop).

That being said, I see him as more Al Jefferson than a potential top-10 player in NBA history.  His floor is very high, which makes him a safe pick, but Towns' ceiling is higher IMO, and offers a more valuable skillset to the Knicks.

His offensive game, hands, and footwork are polished, probably to the point that he's not too far from his ceiling.  He's nowhere near the athlete, rebounder, or defender that young Duncan was... not to mention that Duncan's demeanor and approach to the game are a huge part of what made him a success (as was being coached by Pop).

That being said, I see him as more Al Jefferson than a potential top-10 player in NBA history.  His floor is very high, which makes him a safe pick, but Towns' ceiling is higher IMO, and offers a more valuable skillset to the Knicks.

I havent watched nearly enough college hoops this year, so I trust you on that. What really F's the Knicks is the Bargnani trade. But what else is new.

I havent watched nearly enough college hoops this year, so I trust you on that. What really F's the Knicks is the Bargnani trade. But what else is new.

Well, I haven't watched much NBA basketball this year, for obvious reasons.... and the Johnnies have restored some interest in the college game for me.

Okafor seems like the safer pick, his post-game is probably the best that I've seen in a kid at his level in a very, very long time.  KA Towns seems to have a higher ceiling, to what degree that is over Okafor is anybody's guess, but I think he'd be the pick if I had the choice. I also like Mudiay quite a bit, kid's got crazy potential (from the view videos online that they've shown), but I go for the PF/C ten times out of ten. 

Looks like there's three to four franchise-changing players this year, but it's going to take a season or two for them to make a big impact at the next level.  Too bad we have to deal with Anthony's window and contract in the meantime. 

Okafor seems like the safer pick, his post-game is probably the best that I've seen in a kid at his level in a very, very long time.  KA Towns seems to have a higher ceiling, to what degree that is over Okafor is anybody's guess, but I think he'd be the pick if I had the choice. I also like Mudiay quite a bit, kid's got crazy potential (from the view videos online that they've shown), but I go for the PF/C ten times out of ten. 

Looks like there's three to four franchise-changing players this year, but it's going to take a season or two for them to make a big impact at the next level.  Too bad we have to deal with Anthony's window and contract in the meantime. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either Okafor or Towns.  Just hope the Alien Commissioner doesn't screw us out of a top 2 pick and gives the top picks to their precious Lakers and Celtics.

Like Vin said I dont think you can go wrong with either Okafor or Towns.

Also Hector, isnt it a little early to hate on Knicks draft pick before they take him. That's T0m's job.

That said, Duncan wasnt Duncan at 19 and Okafor is a better rookie, even defensively at this age. Duncan didn't become who he was as a prospect until he entered his junior year.

The Bargnani trade continues to be an abomination. They need a 2016 first.

Lastly, with the trade exceptions and cap explosion coming soon the ability to trade Melo will be easier

The Bargnani trade continues to be an abomination. They need a 2016 first.

Lastly, with the trade exceptions and cap explosion coming soon the ability to trade Melo will be easier

We probably make the playoffs last year if it wasn't for the stupid Bargnani trade.  That guy KILLED the raptors for years look at what happened as soon as he left?  lol

I think we have to trade Melo to the Lakers.  I DO NOT want to trade Melo to Cleveland for Love - Love is the most overrated player in sports. 

5-36 at halfway point. The tank is rolling.

But sitting Early to play a 32 yr old on a 10 day contract is stupid.

Also, they need to shut Melo down.

Yea, pretty bogus, Early's game seemed to be improving and unfortunately THJ's game was going the opposite way.  

Okafor looked silky today in the second half vs Louisville. I forget how the new system works, but if we finish dead last, how do the odds work again, the worst we could pick is 6th?

Fourth. I think it's something like even odds we get either the first or the second pick, so it's a coin flip if you like Towns too. I think Okafor is the pick at 1 for sure and I don't know that Towns would necessarily be the pick at 2. In that situation I'd be concerned that Phil might be inclined to take a crack at teaching Mudiay to shoot. We will probably buy a pick too but, again, Phil. We are probably screwed forever if we don't win the lottery.

Just ran numbers. Some bullet points:

Okafor is on the high end of the range of players that are candidates for the top pick in years where there isn't a slam dunk #1. At the same time, the translatability of the scoring efficiency from which a lot of his value is derived is sort of a dicey proposition. The offensive rebounding is pretty bankable though.

Delon Wright really stands out among the non-bigs. Robert Upshaw kind of gets lost in the shuffle as far as centers and is going to wind up being solid value for somebody.

Kentucky is the real eye-opener, though. I don't think this is the best college team I've seen but it might be the best collection of NBA prep talent. They have three seven-footers with PAWS40 over 12, and the metric systemically underrates players on stacked teams. Not exactly a black swan riding a unicorn but not something you're likely to see again.

Yea, pretty bogus, Early's game seemed to be improving and unfortunately THJ's game was going the opposite way.  

Okafor looked silky today in the second half vs Louisville. I forget how the new system works, but if we finish dead last, how do the odds work again, the worst we could pick is 6th?

Like MLH said, the worse the Knicks could fall is 4th if they have the worse record.  Here is the odds breakdown of the top three in losses:

Seed Chances 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 1 250 .250 .215 .178 .357                     2 199 .199 .188 .171 .319 .123                   3 156 .156 .157 .156 .226 .265 .040

If Knicks get the No. 1, there's no way in hell Phil is passing on Okafor.  What will be interesting is if the Knicks get the 2nd pick, but I think Towns would be the choice there. 

Lakers and Celtics are picking 1 & 2 guys. Sorry

The NBA has a vested interest in the Knicks getting a top pick rather than the Celtics.  That said, the NBA would be giddy if it was 1. Knicks, 2. Lakers, 3. Celtics.

Okafor is on the high end of the range of players that are candidates for the top pick in years where there isn't a slam dunk #1. At the same time, the translatability of the scoring efficiency from which a lot of his value is derived is sort of a dicey proposition. The offensive rebounding is pretty bankable though.

So skinny Eddy Curry? I hate sports.

So skinny Eddy Curry? I hate sports.

I was compelled to neg rep this.

EC and IT are 2 names never to be mentioned nor any current person compared to.

That hurt, Rutgers, that hurt.

Okafor is the dream I've dreamed. Don't kill it. I'm about to go Anne Hathaway right now.

Archived