Woody Johnson likely to cave to pressure, fire Idzik: NFL execs

Ken Schroy

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a unique perspective.

To be clear here, I'm not even saying this because I love Idzik so much. He broke my heart Fredo-style the day he was jumping up and down in the locker room announcing Rex would be back. I just don't believe he deserves to be fired until he gets his shot without the miasma of Rex's stupidity/charisma/influence infecting everything.

Woody Johnson has no choice except to fire John Idzik.

In football, as in life, you cannot lose the perception of responsibility and the respect of those who work for you. In what may be the worst week any NFL executive has ever endured, John Idzik has written his ticket out of town. No front office will want to work for him, no agents will want to negotiate with him, no free agents will want to come here. He's gone.

SAR I

To be clear here, I'm not even saying this because I love Idzik so much. He broke my heart Fredo-style the day he was jumping up and down in the locker room announcing Rex would be back. I just don't believe he deserves to be fired until he gets his shot without the miasma of Rex's stupidity/charisma/influence infecting everything.

I get that he's getting a raw deal if/when he's fired. Maybe he would've been better with his own coach, maybe a lot better. But there's really not a lot of evidence of that. The team was mediocre with Rex the last few years with Tannenbaum. It went completely into the crapper two years into Idzik's tenure. Forcing Rex on the GM candidates last time resulted in lesser candidates, and what we have now is the result of that extremely flawed process. 

Best course of action now is a complete reboot. For the first time since Woody's been here. A total house cleaning. 

I get that he's getting a raw deal if/when he's fired. Maybe he would've been better with his own coach, maybe a lot better. But there's really not a lot of evidence of that. The team was mediocre with Rex the last few years with Tannenbaum. It went completely into the crapper two years into Idzik's tenure. Forcing Rex on the GM candidates last time resulted in lesser candidates, and what we have now is the result of that extremely flawed process.

Best course of action now is a complete reboot. For the first time since Woody's been here. A total house cleaning.

I'm on the fence with Idzik.

However if he is fired I don't want that group of clowns mentioned in the OP deciding who the new GM would be. Bring in Ernie Accorsi or Parcells to pick the guy.

The absurdity of that scene in the locker room ("THIS IS OUR COACH!!!") after an 8-8 season is enough to merit him being fired in and of itself. You need to keep in mind that nobody was giving Idzik an interview when we did, as he wasn't considered a top-tier candidate and was only in consideration once Woody realized he couldn't give the job away to anyone credible with the ridiculous parameters he attached. He didn't deserve the job to begin with, as he wasn't the best man for the job; just the only one willing to eat the sh*t sandwich Woody was serving up.

Woody Johnson has no choice except to fire John Idzik.

In football, as in life, you cannot lose the perception of responsibility and the respect of those who work for you. In what may be the worst week any NFL executive has ever endured, John Idzik has written his ticket out of town. No front office will want to work for him, no agents will want to negotiate with him, no free agents will want to come here. He's gone.

SAR I

Agreed - not only have his drafts been awful (sans Richardson), but after that press conference he's now a national laughingstock. Take Old Yeller out back and put him out of his misery.

I don't see it as him getting a raw deal - he could've done the same thing the others did when Rex was forced on him and decline the position; he didn't because he was a low-quality candidate, desperate for any GM job under any circumstances, and nobody else was going to hire him. I don't feel sorry for him, I feel sorry for this fanbase for having to endure constant sh*t like this due to having a clueless owner who insists on butting his nose into football operations.

RSJ, on 07 Nov 2014 - 3:51 PM, said: The more I think about it, the more Mike Shanahan makes perfect sense.

I'd be totally fine w/ Mike Shanahan as HC of the NYJ as long as Kyle Shanahan was guaranteed to be excluded.  If we couldn't get that stipulation (and I'm sure we couldn't) then I wouldn't hire him.  I'd love a push for Gruden or Cowher.  Hiring Gruden would be a double plus because I wouldn't have to hear him on MNF anymore.

It's time, both need to go, with a top three pick more money than Bill Gates, and zero pressure they will line up for this job. Plus after the Epic beat down we will receive on Sunday at home, with a stadium full of Steeler fans Woodys frail Ego will go into meltdown.

Also not forgetting the bye week, so there will be two weeks of constant media and fan Sh&t before the next game. I don't see how Rex or Idzik survive that.

It's time, both need to go, with a top three pick more money than Bill Gates, and zero pressure they will line up for this job. Plus after the Epic beat down we will receive on Sunday at home, with a stadium full of Steeler fans Woodys frail Ego will go into meltdown.

Also not forgetting the bye week, so there will be two weeks of constant media and fan Sh&t before the next game. I don't see how Rex or Idzik survive that.

If this is the week that the ax falls, it'll be because a loss to the Steelers will set a new in season losing streak record for the Jets. Considering the Jets' ineptitude as a franchise, that would will be an impressive feat.  

I'll still surprised if it happens. 

There is really no chance that Woody reboots the franchise in total. It's not realistic to expect him to have the wherewithal to achieve such a feat, especially if he's looking to his trust fund manager buddies to guide his hand. The most likely scenario is that he fires Idzik and Rex (because that's what he thinks "us people" want) and he replaces them with whichever coach his trust fund manager buddy tells him has a high Q-rating and will sell tickets. As little tangible evidence as there may be that Idzik is a viable GM, there's infinitely more evidence that Woody has no ability to set it right by himself. As mad as everyone is at Idzik, he's the only person in the building right now that isn't a complete moron.

Again, this is the current 2015 roster. This is why I believe that Idzik has an actual plan. There are no sh*tty vets on long-term deals. There is no expensive dead weight on the roster as yet. What he's building is the skeleton of a young team with a lot of flexibility both financially and from a scheme standpoint. 

QB: Geno Smith

RB: Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, (Chris Johnson cut at no cost)

WR: Decker, Kerley, maybe Harvin at a reduced rate, Greg Salas, Shaq Evans, Quincy Enunwa

TE: Amaro, Cumberland

LT: Brick

LG: Aboushi, Winters

C: Mangold (at a reduced rate)

RG: Dozier

RT: Giacomini

DE: Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson, Quention Coples

DT: Damon Harrison (re-signed)

OLB: Reilly, Enkempali

ILB: Demario Davis

CB: Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Darrin Walls

S: Antonio Allen, Calvin Pryor

Now, here's the 2015 roster if he makes these very obvious, basic, realistic additions:

QB: Marcus Mariota (1st round pick), Matt Moore (FA),   Geno Smith

RB: Chris Ivory, Roy Helu (FA), Bilal Powell, (Chris Johnson cut at no cost)

WR: Decker, Kerley, Harvin (extended?), DaVante Parker (2nd round pick), Greg Salas, Shaq Evans, Quincy Enunwa

TE: Jace Amaro, Anthony McCoy (FA)

RG: Mike Iupati (bigger ticket FA), Dakota Dozier

OLB: Reilly, Enkempali  (plenty of UFA and draft pick prospects at the LB positions depending on scheme--Brooks Reed, Jabaal Sheard, Bruce Carter, Malcolm Smith, Arthur Moats, KJ Wright, etc...)

ILB: Demario Davis (see above)

CB: Dee Milliner, Chris Harris (FA), Byron Maxwell (FA), Dexter McDougle, Darrin Walls

Again, this is the current 2015 roster. This is why I believe that Idzik has an actual plan. There are no sh*tty vets on long-term deals. There is no expensive dead weight on the roster as yet. What he's building is the skeleton of a young team with a lot of flexibility both financially and from a scheme standpoint. 

WR: Decker, Kerley, maybe Harvin at a reduced rate, Greg Salas, Shaq Evans, Quincy Enunwa

Now, here's the 2015 roster if he makes these very obvious, basic, realistic additions:

QB: Marcus Mariota (1st round pick), Matt Moore (FA),   Geno Smith

WR: Decker, Kerley, Harvin (extended?), DaVante Parker (2nd round pick), Greg Salas, Shaq Evans, Quincy Enunwa

OLB: Reilly, Enkempali  (plenty of UFA and draft pick prospects at the LB positions depending on scheme--Brooks Reed, Jabaal Sheard, Bruce Carter, Malcolm Smith, Arthur Moats, KJ Wright, etc...)

CB: Dee Milliner, Chris Harris (FA), Byron Maxwell (FA), Dexter McDougle, Darrin Walls

So why not bring in a real football guy to oversee picks, mariotta will not be a jet, more likely Winston will be a jet as he will fall. Jets will win 3 games just to phuck up QB pick

QB: Marcus Mariota (1st round pick), Matt Moore (FA), Geno Smith

OLB: Reilly, Enkempali (plenty of UFA and draft pick prospects at the LB positions depending on scheme--Brooks Reed, Jabaal Sheard, Bruce Carter, Malcolm Smith, Arthur Moats, KJ Wright, etc...)

There is no plan here. Half of those guys can't play. Best case scenario the Jets have an 8-8 roster in two years and that's if Idzik suddenly starts drafting like Bill Walsh and learns how to sign a free agent.

If Idzik stays you can count out any top notch head coach, assistant coach, top scout or top free agent for coming here. It's really that simple.

The Jets have gotten worse with izzy at GM.

I wouldn't trust him with a top 3 pick in the next draft and that cap room. Its too big. The Jets could set themselves up to win for the next decade with the right QB pick.

This is more than just Idzik and Rex, if they're going to clean house, then do it completely.  Terry Bradway should get the boot right along with them.  The whole scouting department needs a revamp.  

The  scouting department was rebuilt in Idzik's image right after the 2013 draft.  I guess they'll redo it again after the 2015 draft 

There is really no chance that Woody reboots the franchise in total. It's not realistic to expect him to have the wherewithal to achieve such a feat, especially if he's looking to his trust fund manager buddies to guide his hand. The most likely scenario is that he fires Idzik and Rex (because that's what he thinks "us people" want) and he replaces them with whichever coach his trust fund manager buddy tells him has a high Q-rating and will sell tickets. As little tangible evidence as there may be that Idzik is a viable GM, there's infinitely more evidence that Woody has no ability to set it right by himself. As mad as everyone is at Idzik, he's the only person in the building right now that isn't a complete moron.

I have no idea why you're clinging to Idzik the way you are. There's no evidence that he's any better at being a GM than Rex is at being a head coach, but we do know that Rex was doing a lot better here before we reached Idzik's second season.

And those same trust fund buddies are the folks who chose John Idzik in the first place, from a shallow pool of candidates because of the limitations (retain Rex, trade Revis), and the cap situation. That pool gets significantly deeper when all of those handicaps are removed.

And this round of losing could easily be enough for him to clean house. It's this sort of losing that led Hess to bring Parcells here. This could be his wake up call. It should be, this obviously isn't working. His trust fund buddy, his team president with his league office ties, and Korn Ferry, I'm sure, will all be involved in the selection process. You can't fire the owner, so we're stuck with that. But to stick with Idzik because you don't trust the same people who selected him to be able to select someone better from a larger range of candidates makes no logical sense.

And your vision of a plan, I just don't see it. Idzik has drafted poorly, and has been worse in free agency. The guy who brought us Goodson, Peterman, Ford, Patterson, Vick, CJ2K, is suddenly gonna have the switch turn on? Is he gonna really outbid anyone for the top guard on the market? Is he gonna draft any better than getting 2.5 useful players out of 12?

Let's just thank him for the cap room, and bring someone with a genuine personnel background to come in and spend it. Someone who can take advantage of their high draft position.

we do know that Rex was doing a lot better here before we reached Idzik's second season.

And it's this type of revisionist bullsh*t that serves as the crux of your (and your ilk's) entire Idzik critique--that it's somehow John Idzik's fault that Rex stinks, as if the 2011 and 2012 seasons never happened. The team sucked before Idzik got here. The difference now is that there's a chance it won't suck in the near future.  

The mob was right about Mangini, and they're right about Idzik. Maybe the mob should be Woody's right hand man?

Only problem is that the mob probably wants Gruden or Cowher, too.

I think Woody Johnson would do well to hire a Jet fan to advise him on team stuff. You don't hire financial advisors when making organizational decisions and you don't want a casual fan making big dollar decisions for you either. Woody really is out of touch with his team's fan base and comes across as aloof and kind of stupid. Hiring someone who has been through all the turmoil associated with being a fan might give him some perspective on how important his team is to us. And might help him stop listening to boobs in suits who keep making the wrong choices. Mainly though, Woody has to hire someone strong in personnel decisions and then step out of the way and not make unilateral decisions like he did when he forced Idzik to keep Rex. That had disaster written all over it and look where they are now.

That pool gets significantly deeper when all of those handicaps are removed.

There are planes flying over the stadium this weekend advocating the firing of a GM that's been in the job for less than two years. If that GM gets fired, your pool of candidates will consist of even lesser candidates than Idzik was. There is no way, short of bringing back Parcells or Jimmy Johnson to serve as a mediator, that any candidate of value is going to trust Woody Johnson with his career. 

And it's this type of revisionist bullsh*t that serves as the crux of your (and your ilk's) entire Idzik critique--that it's somehow John Idzik's fault that Rex stinks, as if the 2011 and 2012 seasons never happened. The team sucked before Idzik got here. The difference now is that there's a chance it won't suck in the near future.

Is this, or is it not, Rex's worst season as head coach?

The best chance they have of not sucking in the near future comes from a house cleaning.

Remember when he got the best WR, QB, and RB on the market? What was that, eight months ago?

Decker's a pretty good player. Vick and Johnson are part of the problem, and not cheap. I don't think even Idzik himself would retain those guys next year. But I don't blame you for bringing them up, though, they still represent the Best of Idzik.

I have no idea why you're clinging to Idzik the way you are. There's no evidence that he's any better at being a GM than Rex is at being a head coach, but we do know that Rex was doing a lot better here before we reached Idzik's second season.

And those same trust fund buddies are the folks who chose John Idzik in the first place, from a shallow pool of candidates because of the limitations (retain Rex, trade Revis), and the cap situation. That pool gets significantly deeper when all of those handicaps are removed.

And this round of losing could easily be enough for him to clean house. It's this sort of losing that led Hess to bring Parcells here. This could be his wake up call. It should be, this obviously isn't working. His trust fund buddy, his team president with his league office ties, and Korn Ferry, I'm sure, will all be involved in the selection process. You can't fire the owner, so we're stuck with that. But to stick with Idzik because you don't trust the same people who selected him to be able to select someone better from a larger range of candidates makes no logical sense.

And your vision of a plan, I just don't see it. Idzik has drafted poorly, and has been worse in free agency. The guy who brought us Goodson, Peterman, Ford, Patterson, Vick, CJ2K, is suddenly gonna have the switch turn on? Is he gonna really outbid anyone for the top guard on the market? Is he gonna draft any better than getting 2.5 useful players out of 12?

Let's just thank him for the cap room, and bring someone with a genuine personnel background to come in and spend it. Someone who can take advantage of their high draft position.

Agreed except for one point. I don't think Rex was doing "better" before Idzik arrived, Rex has had so many fireable offenses in his term it is laughable. The team made some poor decisions way back in 2011 that has led us here and Rex was a big part of those decisions as well. 

Is this, or is it not, Rex's worst season as head coach?

The best chance they have of not sucking in the near future comes from a house cleaning.

No, I'd say 2011 is Rex's worst year as head coach overall. It exposed him as a paper tiger who was in way over his head as the leader of a franchise. He surrounded himself with thugs and jerkoffs with no regard for replacing the veteran leadership that they shed that offseason. And what you got was inevitable. 

Decker's a pretty good player. Vick and Johnson are part of the problem, and not cheap. I don't think even Idzik himself would retain those guys next year. But I don't blame you for bringing them up, though, they still represent the Best of Idzik.

Vick and Johnson are short-term rentals. They were the best players at their positions available in free agency this year.  

There are planes flying over the stadium this weekend advocating the firing of a GM that's been in the job for less than two years. If that GM gets fired, your pool of candidates will consist of even lesser candidates than Idzik was. There is no way, short of bringing back Parcells or Jimmy Johnson to serve as a mediator, that any candidate of value is going to trust Woody Johnson with his career.

This is just flat out wrong. No coach the new guy has to retain, not being forced to trade the team's best player, $50M in cap space that he'll be required to spend per the CBA. This is an attractive job.

This is also a place with a track record of not firing people prematurely. Tannenbaum lasted from when Leon Hess was the owner. Bradway's been with the team since 2001. Rex has lasted six years. If Idzik gets fired, potential candidates will recognize that he's the exception to the general rule around here. Do even something close to decent job, get the owner's ear, and you can put down roots. Problem with Idzik is that he hasn't done close to a decent job, and truly qualified candidates interested in being placed in one of 32 such jobs in existence probably recognize that, too.

And really, the idea that we should keep this incompetence around because we might hire someone worse is the same sort of logic you rallied against when people said the same thing about Rex. Only thing is those people were talking about the coach who's won the most playoff games in franchise history, while this GM is about to oversee the longest losing streak in franchise history. If you thought that logic didn't hold water with Rex, it's really tough to back up applying that same logic to Idzik.

They can find a better GM. Even the clown school in the Jets alleged brain trust can do that.

No, I'd say 2011 is Rex's worst year as head coach overall. It exposed him as a paper tiger who was in way over his head as the leader of a franchise. He surrounded himself with thugs and jerkoffs with no regard for replacing the veteran leadership that they shed that offseason. And what you got was inevitable.

They were 8-8 that year, they're about to lose their 9th game in a row in week 10 this season.

Archived