Woody Johnson likely to cave to pressure, fire Idzik: NFL execs

Ken Schroy

This article is such utter nonsense. Neither John nor Rex are going anywhere.  As long as the team wins 3 or more games this year, the second half of the year will be improvement over the first half. 4 wins or more and we are going to have a parade at the facilities parking lot and pour champagne al over Rex and John.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I think is, while he has been far from perfect i don't think he deserves the fate because he has done enough good things and while this season has been a lost cause, its not like the JETS cannot spring back from these mistakes quickly. We have the cap room and we still have 6 picks next season with a potential for one additional comp pick. We have the potential to bring back Percy Harvin at reasonable price.

When Tanny left this organization we were god awful state with salary cap nightmare and no talent on the roster. The JETS are better off today in many ways.

What Idzik did not do well was drafting WR's this year, screwed up the middle rounds. I am still ok with him not overpaying for DRC who is helping Giants to a 3-5 record. Top of that no organization is impact proof from loss of 3 potential starting players at the same position.

So despite all the noise I hope Idzik stays. Firing him would be the classic case of throwing away the baby with the bathwater.

Calvin was a terrible pick, a jack tatum who cant cover and his best hits are on his teammates, Amaro is a dime a dozen, he will not be a special player imo, he is not fluid and catches too much with his body...serviceable is the best you will get.

at least you got your Broncos

LimoLady would have drafted better, or even the senile

You don't change GM's every two years. Specially when the current GM inherited a very messy situation just two short off season's ago. Period.

This is only reasonable thing said in this thread.

This is certainly a mob mentality based upon very little in fact.  The rest of the league and professionals know Idzik hasn't done a poor job and that Woody ONLY cares about press...

He continues to make moves, over and over again, without the best interest of the team in order to appease the media and fan base - with very little concern about winning.

What GM would EVER take this job if they know they'll get fired a season and half into their tenure (especially when the first year was wasted on cleaning up someone else's mess) Especially when, I'm sure, Idzik presented his plan to Woody - and Woody approved it...

So now he's firing him for following a plan that the owner approved.  Woody Johnson is a disgrace

This is only reasonable thing said in this thread.

This is certainly a mob mentality based upon very little in fact.  The rest of the league and professionals know Idzik hasn't done a poor job and that Woody ONLY cares about press...

He continues to make moves, over and over again, without the best interest of the team in order to appease the media and fan base - with very little concern about winning.

Really not so sure about that. There was an article posted in here recently with nasty little unnamed executives saying the opposite - that Idzik has done a bad job, and that he's in over his head. You can take those unnamed sources for what they are, but I don't see any sources -named or unnamed- coming to the guy's defense.

Who are these rest of the league and professionals of which you speak? I'd like to read what they have to say.

What GM would EVER take this job if they know they'll get fired a season and half into their tenure (especially when the first year was wasted on cleaning up someone else's mess) Especially when, I'm sure, Idzik presented his plan to Woody - and Woody approved it...

So now he's firing him for following a plan that the owner approved.  Woody Johnson is a disgrace

This seems to be the new best reason not to fire Idzik, and it's not only a terrible one, but it doesn't hold any water at all.

Tannenbaum, fired a year and a half ago, had been with the team since Bill Parcells was here. Terry Bradway, still with the organization, started with Herm Edwards. Rex Ryan has been head coach for six years. No one looks at this organization as one that prematurely fires people, and one quick hook for John Idzik isn't going to alter that perception.

And if Woody offers the next GM free reign to hire his own head coach and staff, along with the upwards of $50M in cap space and high draft position, this job this time around will attract much better candidates than the search that netted the team Idzik in the first place.

Idzik should go because he's done a very poor job over two offseasons. There won't be any problems finding a replacement.

this article is a beautiful example of how full of crap NY media is when ever you put them on the spot for pushing a particular Jets agenda. How the heck can any personality say that fans dont drive the team and media report dont have any bearing...The Jets have no talent evaluators and quite possibly the worse scouts in the league. 

What I think is, while he has been far from perfect i don't think he deserves the fate because he has done enough good things and while this season has been a lost cause, its not like the JETS cannot spring back from these mistakes quickly. We have the cap room and we still have 6 picks next season with a potential for one additional comp pick. We have the potential to bring back Percy Harvin at reasonable price.

When Tanny left this organization we were god awful state with salary cap nightmare and no talent on the roster. The JETS are better off today in many ways.

What Idzik did not do well was drafting WR's this year, screwed up the middle rounds. I am still ok with him not overpaying for DRC who is helping Giants to a 3-5 record. Top of that no organization is impact proof from loss of 3 potential starting players at the same position.

So despite all the noise I hope Idzik stays. Firing him would be the classic case of throwing away the baby with the bathwater.

It is sad to see this type of post. Just what we need is John boy making 6 or 7 more draft picks. 

The Harvin trade was an attempt at saving face amidst the public screaming for his job. Idzik also missed on a lot more than his mid round WR picks. 

His comment after the Harvin trade was that he likes what he see's in Geno and wants give him another weapon.  How's that working out for Geno?

ANYONE can clear CAP space.  I would be all for giving him another year if he had hedged his bets on Geno by drafting another QB early and went after CB's with a track record for staying healthy.

The Harvin trade was an attempt at saving face amidst the public screaming for his job. Idzik also missed on a lot more than his mid round WR picks.

Wow what a way to save face. Draft a difference maker for meagre draft pick and little guarantted compensation after the first year.

ANYONE can clear CAP space.

I know a certain Mr Tannenbaum who will disagree with you.

I would be all for giving him another year if he had hedged his bets on Geno by drafting another QB early and went after CB's with a track record for staying healthy.

Anyone can get hurt. By law of averages you are not supposed to be decimated at one position like the JETS were. And whatever the case maybe the JETS Have the cap room and picks to correct that situation in the next off season.

There won't be any problems finding a replacement.

I'm so confused: why was it nearly impossible to find a GM two years ago when the job came with the opportunity to work with one of the great defensive minds in football history and a cap situation that anyone who ever stepped foot into an H&R Block outlet could easily manage? 

Sweet Christ.

I am a strong proponent of wealthy heirs not being deserving of unfair criticism for their simply being members of the lucky sperm club-

But for Woody to have his family's General Counsel as his right hand man and most trusted resource for all of his Jets decision making? "Sweet Christ" is not nearly the level of expressive outrage that I would go with here. I don't think my limited vocabulary of 30 years has the depth to adequately express my feelings. It is the douchiest of the douche moves that I may have ever heard. A lawyer....as trusted advisor...to a grown man....who can't simply hire a general manager with a football background. I can't.

He is going to be one of the worst of all time. I'm positive.

I am a strong proponent of wealthy heirs not being deserving of unfair criticism for their simply being members of the lucky sperm club-

But for Woody to have his family's General Counsel as his right hand man and most trusted resource for all of his Jets decision making? "Sweet Christ" is not nearly the level of expressive outrage that I would go with here. I don't think my limited vocabulary of 30 years has the depth to adequately express my feelings. It is the douchiest of the douche moves that I may have ever heard. A lawyer....as trusted advisor...to a grown man....who can't simply hire a general manager with a football background. I can't.

He is going to be one of the worst of all time. I'm positive.

We have to wait for the epiphany that he needs help outside of lawyers and accountants.

I'm so confused: why was it nearly impossible to find a GM two years ago when the job came with the opportunity to work with one of the great defensive minds in football history and a cap situation that anyone who ever stepped foot into an H&R Block outlet could easily manage? 

I never once sugar-coated the issue of holding onto Rex while searching for a GM. It's an institutional problem here, and it has been for years, of holding onto a part of the old regime every time they try to move forward. I'd like to see them break that cycle this time around. A little surprised, actually, that you're in favor of Woody continuing to do business the way he has since his arrival. 

Removing incompetence at any level, ASAP, is good business. Idzik is in way over his head. These last two years have been a waste. Continuing on this path would be stupidity.

This.

The team needs a new GM and a whole new scouting department...cannot continue to reward ignorance.

I never once sugar-coated the issue of holding onto Rex while searching for a GM. It's an institutional problem here, and it has been for years, of holding onto a part of the old regime every time they try to move forward. I'd like to see them break that cycle this time around. A little surprised, actually, that you're in favor of Woody continuing to do business the way he has since his arrival.

I don't see it as a continuation of the old, stupid ways. I see it as the correction of a gross malfeasance.

I don't see it as a continuation of the old, stupid ways. I see it as the correction of a gross malfeasance.

I gotta say it really hit me this week how bad Woody truly is. Even my old man wrote me an email about how stupid he is this week...and he gave up on the Jets years ago.

I gotta say it really hit me this week how bad Woody truly is. Even my old man wrote me an email about how stupid he is this week...and he gave up on the Jets years ago.

Every time I see another picture of him standing around at practice chatting up Rex and Idzik, I become more and more concerned that things will never change. Woody doesn't have a job, a business and (apparently) no other hobbies. He's going to leech around this team like a ******* groupie and hope it turns him into Jerry Jones.

Archived